• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yall are fucking strange as hell

🥴

The first page made me cross-eyed and gave me a migraine.

Quite literally too. Personally got the tables from Ikea!

I thought you were kidding until I read the excerpt from St. Elmo's Fire !

Good or bad changes nothing when it was and still is one of Netflix biggest shows.

And even if TLOU HBO ends up being good, you are really ovestimating the amount of people going to buy the games afterwards. They are going to receive a sales bump, but only temporary, you saying doubling the sales meaning shipping an additional 25-30 million units which is impossible.

TLoU will receive a sales bump from a combination of the TV show and the TLoU1 remake. It's unlikely to hit another 20 million sales, but they will probably get a huge boost assuming the TV show is good.

Hermen Hulst will get his job one day. I'm sure.

Yeah, I think this seems quite likely. I really think Hermen has a lot of charisma and I enjoy listening to him speak. That being said, they could choose someone who is more experienced in the hardware side of the business whereas Hermen seems more like a software/development guy. He certainly seems to be doing a good job leading WWS so far.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding Microsoft's strategy I thought you meant PC day one releases.
That wasn't me, sorry.

I mean Sony had PS Now streaming before MS had Game Pass.
I think Sony found they were having more success without streaming, but that will change going into the future.

Which I doubt. You can see in Sony's latest Fiscal Year report how they mentioned mobile (and streaming). So it's a little bit different than the MS strategy with their day one PC ports. Kinda same, but still different. Lol.

Sony definitely isn't going to release day 1 on PC, at least not for a long time.

The crux of MS's strategy isn't day 1 PC. The crux of it is general accessibility. Play your games on the Series S, the Series X, on your phone, on your PC, and to have access to any game in their library for a monthly fee.

Jul 2, 2021
I think Sony found they were having more success without streaming, but that will change going into the future.
Oh they will. Like I said I'm sure they want you to buy and play games on PS Now, without owning a PS5 or PS6.
You just need a controller. But you still have to pay for the game or for the sub. So their main push will be for consoles (PS5 or PS6), mobile and streaming.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
User warned: Justifying an inflammatory comparison
I haven't had the chance to watch the interview, and since so few posts are actually about it, has Jim said anything that would warrant the comparison to Donald Trump Jr.(why him of all people?) or accusations of being out of touch?

I don't think it's a great comparison but I can see where someone would get that idea. As Jim Ryan tends to shoot from hip a lot during interviews which is definitely a trait that Trump has. which causes the issue of what you are saying isn't always factual or truthful. Kind of like JIm Ryan's comment on why Sony didn't allow crossplay in Minecraft was for the "safety of the children". As if NIntendo and Microsoft didn't care about the safety of users on their network and especially children.

When he is asked what he is playing he is always playing whatever the latest first-party game is. So it comes off as a little disingenuous when you are always playing what you are trying to promote. In contrast, Phil Spencer has mentioned playing games he played on Nintendo, on Playstation, and on xbox. Its also important to mention that Phil Spencer is actually a gamer and Jim Ryan is more a business person who just happens to be in charge of a gaming company. But then just own that. As that comes off as more genuine than always answering what you are selling every time. As that makes you sound like you are oblivious/out of touch to anything else in the market and your opinion being a bit bought as your only playing what you promote.
That's just a couple examples but there are others but I'm not trying to write an indictment on Jim Ryan.

I also believe Trump has done and said way worse things than anything Jim Ryan has done or said. There are other people who could have been used that would be less inflammatory than any of the trumps would have been. As using trump creates a visceral reaction from people.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I also believe Trump has done and said way worse things than anything Jim Ryan has done or said. There are other people who could have been used that would be less inflammatory than any of the trumps would have been. As using trump creates a visceral reaction from people.

Ya fucking think?!?!
Why in the blue hell are you raising this topic again and subtly trying to justify it? Piss off with that nonsense.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
He sounds like a nice guy

Yeah i don't get all the fuss.
Some old PR blunders, "we believe in generations" and $70 first party games are really what got to people I think.
He surely isn't the most consistent on the messaging but who is really? Spencer also has his share of contradictions.
At worst he says exactly what you would expect from a corporate suit.
At least I like that he doesn't overdo the gamer stuff.

That Trump comparaison is nonsense.

Oct 27, 2017
I disliked his comment about BC and other moves under him but are some of you out of your fucking minds? What has he done to warrant all this hate?

Comparing him to Trump and shit like that? The fuck?

Jan 20, 2019
I don't think it's a great comparison but I can see where someone would get that idea. As Jim Ryan tends to shoot from hip a lot during interviews which is definitely a trait that Trump has. which causes the issue of what you are saying isn't always factual or truthful. Kind of like JIm Ryan's comment on why Sony didn't allow crossplay in Minecraft was for the "safety of the children". As if NIntendo and Microsoft didn't care about the safety of users on their network and especially children.

When he is asked what he is playing he is always playing whatever the latest first-party game is. So it comes off as a little disingenuous when you are always playing what you are trying to promote. In contrast, Phil Spencer has mentioned playing games he played on Nintendo, on Playstation, and on xbox. Its also important to mention that Phil Spencer is actually a gamer and Jim Ryan is more a business person who just happens to be in charge of a gaming company. But then just own that. As that comes off as more genuine than always answering what you are selling every time. As that makes you sound like you are oblivious/out of touch to anything else in the market and your opinion being a bit bought as your only playing what you promote.
That's just a couple examples but there are others but I'm not trying to write an indictment on Jim Ryan.

You just wrote a wall of text doing just that and your last comment is even more stupid, like you need to compare him to anybody else, he is normal person for god sake.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

Lol you go into this long winded post about Spencer and Ryan and defending the comparison and then be like "but yeah Trump has actually said worse things". I don't care much about these executives but ya'll are intent on making Jim Ryan the boogieman of this forum no matter what he says 🙄

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Lol you go into this long winded post about Spencer and Ryan and defending the comparison and then be like "but yeah Trump has actually said worse things". I don't care much about these executives but ya'll are intent on making Jim Ryan the boogieman of this forum no matter what he says 🙄
I never once defended the comparison. I just said I can understand where someone would think that and why they would make that comparison. Then illustrated how they could come to that conclusion.

When I gave my own opinion at the end I said I thought it was a bad comparison and I would have used someone less inflammatory if i was going to make that remark. However, understanding a person's point of view is not the same thing as agreeing with it. I can understand why someone would think that way of jim ryan and how they would logically come to that conclusion. This is important in weighing opinions and thoughts as you want to be able to see both sides. But its not the same thing as having that opinion.

Secondly, that's not that long-winded. Less than 60 seconds typed response isn't long-winded.

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I never once defended the comparison. I just said I can understand where someone would think that and why they would make that comparison. Then illustrated how they could come to that conclusion.

When I gave my own opinion at the end I said I thought it was a bad comparison and I would have used someone less inflammatory if i was going to make that remark. However, understanding a person's point of view is not the same thing as agreeing with it. I can understand why someone would think that way of jim ryan and how they would logically come to that conclusion. This is important in weighing opinions and thoughts as you want to be able to see both sides. But its not the same thing as having that opinion.

Secondly, that's not that long-winded. Less than 60 seconds typed response isn't long-winded.

I don't understand why it would be important to understand the Trump comparison? Why "both sides" this when one argument is undoubtedly shitty? You yourself said there are so many other people to compare to, but using Trump feels like a deliberate attempt to derail this thread about a normal interview with a normal fucking dude.

The poster you replied to just asked if Ryan said anything to warrant that comparison, which he doesn't, but you felt the need to somehow expand why the comparison was made in the first place, which just inadvertently tries to reinforce to a shitty opinion, whether you believe it or not.

Aug 9, 2018
AFAIK he never claimed he was a gamer so It would be more disingenuous if he said he played games from Nintendo and/or XBOX. Also, in contrast some might feel that Phil Spencer's claim of games he played on Nintendo, PlayStation and XBOX as somewhat pretentious and/or gives of a how are you doing fellow kids? kind of vibe instead of being genuine.

I don't know why it is important to know that Phil Spencer is actually a gamer (like anyone in this forum doesn't know this) and Jim Ryan is more of a business person who just happens to be in charge of a gaming company, like he just was handed that position and haven't done anything to deserve it.

The comparison wasn't even about Trump, it was about Trump Jr. and the one who posted it already said what their reason was for making the comparison, trying to pretend he's an average every day person. So all the explaining you did about how someone could have logically come up with the comparison was all for naught.

Jul 19, 2020
Came across this on my twitter feed and thought it was interesting, Mufaddal Fakhruddin (Senior Editor for IGN ME) has done up an article addressing some of the comments made by Jim Ryan regarding gaming in the Middle East.

The English version is here.
The Arabic version is here.

A few days ago, GamesIndustry.biz ran a lengthy conversation with Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO, Jim Ryan. The interview touches on Sony's ambitions with the PlayStation 5, and how Ryan hopes that the PlayStation brand and its games can be accessible to "hundreds of millions of people", in a similar way that music and movies are.

But there was one, seemingly off-the-cuff remark Ryan made that has caused quite a bit of stir in the Middle East's gaming community, not only for its remarkable inaccuracy but also for how unknowledgeable the CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment sounds.

When discussing the impact the PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 had worldwide, Jim Ryan said, "One of the things that I am proud about there is that we kind-of pushed the envelope. We opened up markets that had never had any gaming culture ever. Middle East...people had never played games before PlayStation in the Middle East."

I mean...huh?

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Excuse you old man. I had Sega and Nintendo consoles before PS1 was a thing.

Came across this on my twitter feed and thought it was interesting, Mufaddal Fakhruddin (Senior Editor for IGN ME) has done up an article addressing some of the comments made by Jim Ryan regarding gaming in the Middle East.

The English version is here.
The Arabic version is here.

The fuck ?

He really likes to paint himself as completely out of touch, wow.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Spider-Man's at 20 million sold. What "small number of games" are we talking about here? If we're talking mobile titles, Nintendo isn't in that realm either. And frankly, if any of them want to reach a wider audience, mobile is where they'll have to go.

That is factually incorrect. Nintendo is in the mobile space, quite heavily but obviously behind Xbox.