• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't find anything like that which allows uploading screenshots directly to imgur, unfortunately.
That being said, screenshots are a built-in Firefox feature - right-click the webpage and click "Take Screenshot". You still have to download the image before uploading it though - at least this imgur addon lets you do the upload part.
addons.mozilla.org

Imgur-Uploader – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

Download Imgur-Uploader for Firefox. Anonymous Upload image to Imgur. Support uploading local image. Support uploading image in website by right clicking and choosing "upload to imgur"
Now that I think about it, this was one of the reasons I switched back to Chrome. I upload a lot to Imgur and having to save images and then manually uplaod them was too annoying when I can do all of that with one click on Chrome.

Shame I can't use that on Firefox.
You don't have to download the image:
  1. Right-click > Click "Take Screenshot"
  2. Click "Copy" (instead of "Download")
  3. Go to Imgur
  4. Press Ctrl + v

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone noticed if Firefox has been draining more battery juice than before since the last update? I'm not sure if it's Firefox's last update, Windows 10's last update or the latest Nvidia driver, but holy shit has my battery been depleting way faster than usual this week. And the battery menu of Windows 10 lists Firefox as the main culprit.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to have to switch to a different browser and check back in a few months. It was hanging way too much yesterday.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
So I've been getting this issue recently (it started like 2 days ago) and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing it as well.

The first time I open Firefox after a shutdown or restart, it take a pretty long while (around 10-15 seconds or so) to actually start up and open. If I close it and re-open it after this first time, it opens at the normal instant speed.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
It made my tabs look crap again despite all the "proton" references set to false in config. Then I had trouble getting my profile to load when I rolled back.

Last edited:

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Any way to get rid of the annoying Update Available notification?
Sticking to old version of Firefox is a bad idea due to security reasons - the latest Firefox 91.0.1 fixed a high-impact security vulnerability, for example.
Yes, this does mean putting up with the wonky new UI.
Have you tried using a theme like Photon Colors? Unlike chrome CSS mods (respect to Lepton, great work), themes are unlikely to break in future updates, and Photon Colors massively improves the appearance and legibility of the tabs. It really helped me get used to the new UI over the past few months.
addons.mozilla.org

Photon Colors – Get this Theme for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

Download Photon Colors for Firefox. This theme brings the colors of Firefox versions 57-88 to any version of Firefox.
photoncolorscbk2w.png

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Thanks but I like the way FF v90 looks. Every version of Windows since XP I've setup to look as much the same as possible. I don't want them to look different unless the new look is forced on me.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Understandable, but I fear the new UI will get forced on you anyways, like it did on most everyone else. Not the first time Mozilla's forced a UI change either lol.
At least they still let me put most of the address bar buttons in the same place as in the previous UI.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
EDIT: I have learned that Compact Mode really isn't supported now (not that it was before, but it worked fine enabled). Disabling it fixed my issues.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
So Firefox 94 is now out, and it introduces a very cool new security feature: Site Isolation.

This post has a very good explanation of how it works:
hacks.mozilla.org

Introducing Firefox’s new Site Isolation Security Architecture – Mozilla Hacks - the Web developer blog

With Site Isolation enabled on Firefox for Desktop, Mozilla takes its security guarantees to the next level.

Basically, it's to protect users against major side-channel attacks such as Meltdown and Spectre.

Before Firefox 94, two websites could have shared the same process:

figure1-1448x2048.jpg

But now, with Site Isolation enabled, every website is always loaded in a separate process:

figure4-1448x2048.jpg

In the release notes, they say Site Isolation "will be rolled out to Firefox 94 users over the next few weeks". But if you want to use it now, just do the following:
  1. Navigate to about:config.
  2. Set 'fission.autostart' pref to 'true'.
  3. Restart Firefox.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So Firefox 94 is now out, and it introduces a very cool new security feature: Site Isolation.

hacks.mozilla.org

Introducing Firefox’s new Site Isolation Security Architecture – Mozilla Hacks - the Web developer blog

With Site Isolation enabled on Firefox for Desktop, Mozilla takes its security guarantees to the next level.

Basically, it's to protect users against major side-channel attacks such as Meltdown and Spectre.

figure1-1448x2048.jpg

But now, with Site Isolation enabled, every website is always loaded in a separate process:

figure4-1448x2048.jpg

In the release notes, they say Site Isolation "will be rolled out to Firefox 94 users over the next few weeks". But if you want to use it now, just do the following:
  2. Set `fission.autostart` pref to `true`.
  3. Restart Firefox.
Does it effect memory usage?

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017

hacks.mozilla.org

figure1-1448x2048.jpg

figure4-1448x2048.jpg

2. Set 'fission.autostart' pref to 'true'.
  3. Restart Firefox.
Sweet. Chrome's had site isolation via per-site processes for a few years now, and it's great to see Firefox release its own implementation.

Edit: Other new features of note include manual background tab unloading via about:unloads, and background auto-updates on Windows (which can be changed if desired in settings).

Last edited:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
They messing up mobile (maybe desktop too) again.

I never close my tabs. So I open and always pick up where I was before.

Now it wants to load some home page and have me go to an old tab page.

Why.

Wait it deleted old tabs I had open. Not cool.
Found the settings to reverse. I want sure where inactive area was, but able to restore.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
version 100 has been released

• We now support captions/subtitles display on YouTube, Prime Video, and Netflix videos you watch in Picture-in-Picture. Just turn on the subtitles on the in-page video player, and they will appear in PiP.
  • Picture-in-Picture now also supports video captions on websites that use WebVTT (Web Video Text Track) format, like Coursera.org, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, and many more.
  • On the first run after install, Firefox detects when its language does not match the operating system language and offers the user a choice between the two languages.
  • Firefox spell checking now checks spelling in multiple languages. To enable additional languages, select them in the text field's context menu.
  • HDR video is now supported in Firefox on Mac—starting with YouTube! Firefox users on macOS 11+ (with HDR-compatible screens) can enjoy higher-fidelity video content. No need to manually flip any preferences to turn HDR video support on—just make sure battery preferences are NOT set to "optimize video streaming while on battery".
  • Hardware accelerated AV1 video decoding is enabled on Windows with supported GPUs (Intel Gen 11+, AMD RDNA 2 Excluding Navi 24, GeForce 30). Installing the AV1 Video Extension from the Microsoft Store may also be required.
  • Video overlay is enabled on Windows for Intel GPUs, reducing power usage during video playback.
  • Improved fairness between painting and handling other events. This noticeably improves the performance of the volume slider on Twitch.
  • Scrollbars on Linux and Windows 11 won't take space by default. On Linux, users can change this in Settings. On Windows, Firefox follows the system setting (System Settings > Accessibility > Visual Effects > Always show scrollbars).
  • Firefox now supports credit card autofill and capture in the United Kingdom.
  • Firefox now ignores less restricted referrer policies—including unsafe-url, no-referrer-when-downgrade, and origin-when-cross-origin—for cross-site subresource/iframe requests to prevent privacy leaks from the referrer.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
They add a mute button to the Picture-in-Picture 🤩
Fucking finally

That has been available for ages using about:config and has been on in Nightly for a year
media.videocontrols.picture-in-picture.audio-toggle.enabled

I don't know why it takes so long for these features to make it to release.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are still some annoying bugs with website content. Like food network. Any page that has recipe slides, the screen changes slides but not the content associated with it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
has anyone experienced freezes recently?

I upgraded my computer to Windows 11 a couple of weeks ago. Did a clean install. Since then, Firefox is freezing pretty often, sometimes multiple times a day. It seems to happen more often when I am browsing google images and I try to open an image in a new tab. Firefox freezes for up to 10 seconds. Sometimes more. Closing the browser entirely and opening it anew fixes the issue.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

I upgraded my computer to Windows 11 a couple of weeks ago. Did a clean install. Since then, Firefox is freezing pretty often, sometimes multiple times a day. It seems to happen more often when I am browsing google images and I try to open an image in a new tab. Firefox freezes for up to 10 seconds. Sometimes more. Closing the browser entirely and opening it anew fixes the issue.
I have, it's been with the last FF update

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017

Running the latest beta and have no issues. Still on W10 though, so I'm betting on 2H22 shenanigans in your case.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This sounds like the same issue I had a month or two ago and I believe I fixed it by going to about:config and setting accessibility.force_disabled to 1 and then restarting the browser.

Though I assume this will also turn off accessibility features in the browser if you need them.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017

They might have fixed these freezes in 106.0.2
Edit: maybe not, the issue fixed here would hang firefox forever, not just for 10 seconds.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I updated firefox to this version earlier today, crossing my fingers that the freeze would be fixed. The freeze happened 5 minutes later as I was googling images lol.
Sucks, sorry to hear that. Haven't had any freezing issues on my end.
If it matters I've had accessibility.force_disabled=1 for a while now. I'm pretty sure this used to be a setting checkbox that I unchecked myself, but they removed it from the settings GUI at some point.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
106.0.3 came out just now. I went to google images and opened a bunch of images willy nilly after updating, and the issue didn't come up.

fingers crossed that it's fixed.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube's latest update/redesign causes heavy CPU usage in FF. Some people on r/firefox say that disabling the new 'ambient mode' setting resolves the issue but it makes no difference for me.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
welp. One problem out, one problem in.

I can no longer connect to the Playstation Store since yesterday. Nothing has changed in my browser other than updating it yesterday and a couple of days before that. I tried deleting cookies and cache. No dice.

what the fuck is happening at Firefox.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
welp. One problem out, one problem in.

I can no longer connect to the Playstation Store since yesterday. Nothing has changed in my browser other than updating it yesterday and a couple of days before that. I tried deleting cookies and cache. No dice.

what the fuck is happening at Firefox.
Huh, I'm using Firefox 106.0.3 and I just logged into PlayStation Store without issues. Have you checked your addons?