• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Holding back doesn't show history?

I believe I saw that in coming soon. What kind of bone head release is this..
Not sure about beta, but Nightly already has that, so it should be coming fairly soon.

As for why this release happened now, the 68 branch had its final release this week, so they realistically only could have put this off for another few weeks or so without having to put a bunch of extra effort into providing security updates for the old version. I do agree that this release was pretty poorly handled, though. There isn't much of a real roadmap, and they are frustratingly unwilling to confirm that they'll be bringing back about:config and installing arbitrary add-ons to the stable branch.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
After updating my fonts look crap. I usually block the google font api in Privacy Badger but it's not showing now. Edit: And it's suddenly back to normal...

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
New mobile suuucks, other than finally being able to have a black status bar. It killed my Stylus extension, so I'm forced to use this site's default skin, which is frankly terribly cumbersome..

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to improve how Firefox handles pdfs? It doesn't seem to support certain features and it takes a while for it to print to pdf anything longer than a few pages.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can set Firefox to open PDFs in a different application if that's what you're looking for.
I guess I could just reroute them to Chrome, but ideally I'd like the built-in functionality to have everything I need. Otherwise I might as well just stick with Chrome.

Part of why I'd like Firefox to be able to handle things properly is because for whatever reason, it won't let me automatically open downloaded images within the browser - it gives me the prompt for what I want to do with the image each time, despite having "save my preferences" checked. It's another irksome thing about using it where I can't tell if it's intended but bad or just broken.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I could just reroute them to Chrome, but ideally I'd like the built-in functionality to have everything I need. Otherwise I might as well just stick with Chrome.

Part of why I'd like Firefox to be able to handle things properly is because for whatever reason, it won't let me automatically open downloaded images within the browser - it gives me the prompt for what I want to do with the image each time, despite having "save my preferences" checked. It's another irksome thing about using it where I can't tell if it's intended but bad or just broken.
Definitely not intended. There's something wrong in your settings or something.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Crazy that we are already at version 81. I remember when 4.0 came out lol

Question: how do you remove the "pinned" websites that appear in the URL drop down bar? They are all old websites I haven't visited in years, like the old forum. They appeared after one of the recent updates

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that we are already at version 81. I remember when 4.0 came out lol

Question: how do you remove the "pinned" websites that appear in the URL drop down bar? They are all old websites I haven't visited in years, like the old forum. They appeared after one of the recent updates
From the menu, "History" → "Show All History" which should bring up a window of your sites - or bring up the history sidebar via the "View" menu. Search for the site you want to get rid of and right-click on it. Then click "Forget About This Site" to clean it and all of its pages from your history. That should get rid of it from the URL bar once and for all. Though if it's in your history a lot, it may take awhile.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
From the menu, "History" → "Show All History" which should bring up a window of your sites - or bring up the history sidebar via the "View" menu. Search for the site you want to get rid of and right-click on it. Then click "Forget About This Site" to clean it and all of its pages from your history. That should get rid of it from the URL bar once and for all. Though if it's in your history a lot, it may take awhile.
Thanks, I've done that, but they still appear. I'm talking specifically about these ones that appear as "pinned" for whatever reason.

VgpDp3u.jpg

I do have them in my Bookmarks though, but I don't wanna get rid of them yet. Some links still come in handy.

The weird thing is that they appear without typing anything. It would be okay if they'd pop up while I type, like it used to be.

Last edited:

alloc

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto

Those are the pinned sites from the new tab page. If you set your new tab page to something else, you can edit them by going to about:home. You can also disable them by unchecking "Top sites" at about:preferences#privacy > Address Bar.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Those are the pinned sites from the new tab page. If you set your new tab page to something else, you can edit them by going to about:home. You can also disable them by unchecking "Top sites" at about:preferences#privacy > Address Bar.
That worked. I always had a blank page when opening a new tab, that's why I couldn't figure out where they came from. Thanks!

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Anyone know how to get twitter to show images in messages? They are blank and when I click on them I get "an error has occurred loading this image." I tried disabling enhanced tracking protection, privacy badger and ublock but no luck. I don't any issues with Chrome but prefer to use FF for twitter.

voodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know how to get twitter to show images in messages? They are blank and when I click on them I get "an error has occurred loading this image." I tried disabling enhanced tracking protection, privacy badger and ublock but no luck. I don't any issues with Chrome but prefer to use FF for twitter.

If you have the DuckDuckGo extension installed, check its settings to see if it allows embedded tweets.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Example tweet? Don't have issues with Twitter on my end.

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017
Firefox 81.0.2 is now out.

Release notes: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/81.0.2/releasenotes/

Firefox 81.0.2 fixes some issues with Twitter. Try updating and see if that solves the problem.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Didn't help. Either one of the add-ons I'm running is interfering or in DMs the image format is different and FF doesn't like it. Still no problems in Chrome but I prefer to use FF most of the time.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't help. Either one of the add-ons I'm running is interfering or in DMs the image format is different and FF doesn't like it. Still no problems in Chrome but I prefer to use FF most of the time.
I've had no issues with Twitter on my end, I think it's one of your addons. Might have to go through them all and figure out which one is the culprit, unfortunately.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Since the latest FF update fonts are different on many websites. Google's Roboto font in particular looks awful.

Edit: did some research and found "layout.css.font-variations.enabled" was set to true. Set it to false and the fonts are back to normal.

I've had no issues with Twitter on my end, I think it's one of your addons. Might have to go through them all and figure out which one is the culprit, unfortunately.

I tried disabling ones like Stylish, Privacy Badger etc. but still the same.

Last edited:

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Since the latest FF update fonts are different on many websites. Google's Roboto font in particular looks awful.

Edit: did some research and found "layout.css.font-variations.enabled" was set to true. Set it to false and the fonts are back to normal.

I tried disabling ones like Stylish, Privacy Badger etc. but still the same.
Have you tried safe mode? Close Firefox and hold the shift key when reopening it
Also can you post an example tweet?

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Have you tried safe mode? Close Firefox and hold the shift key when reopening it
Also can you post an example tweet?

And today the google font is back to Roboto but I've changed nothing in the browser settings... safe mode didn't help either.

The tweets with the image erorrs are private messages so unfortunately I can't share them. It's just brown and blank where the image should be.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I should maybe close some Firefox Account sessions lmao
bFrnsf4.png

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Why do they keep messing with the URL bar? Now when I type "G" I get a useless "Search with google" as a first option (clicking it does nothing) instead of whatever used to appear (in my case the Genshin Impact thread)

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they keep messing with the URL bar? Now when I type "G" I get a useless "Search with google" as a first option (clicking it does nothing) instead of whatever used to appear (in my case the Genshin Impact thread)
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste update2 and pause while the list is filtered

Firefox should show the core preferences related to the current wave of changes

(3) Double-click the browser.urlbar.update2.tabToComplete preference to switch the value from true to false

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste update2 and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the browser.urlbar.update2.tabToComplete preference to switch the value from true to false
It worked, thanks!

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

Example tweet? Don't have issues with Twitter on my end.

Firefox is up-to-date. I tried disabling enhanced protection and all addons but still the same. Images show perfectly everywhere but in messages where it's a brown box the same size as the image. Chrome and the ios app don't have this problem.

UmAFmoP.jpg

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Firefox is up-to-date. I tried disabling enhanced protection and all addons but still the same. Images show perfectly everywhere but in messages where it's a brown box the same size as the image. Chrome and the ios app don't have this problem.

UmAFmoP.jpg
oh the mobile app. I don't have much experience with the app, let alone on iOS, sorry.
On Android, Firefox Beta, twitter images do seem to work for me.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Hey, do you know if there's an about:config setting to disable whatever the hell they did to CTRL+TAB? It now does a weird MRU tab transition instead of the old "navigate to the next tab" and CTRL+Shift+TAB which did the opposite is now removed? It's a change they apparently did in v83 only because I don't remember v82 doing this. It makes it a huge pain to navigate between tabs with my left hand. Now I have to use CTRL+PageUp and CTRL+PageDown with my right hand, which would be better used holding the mouse.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, do you know if there's an about:config setting to disable whatever the hell they did to CTRL+TAB? It now does a weird MRU tab transition instead of the old "navigate to the next tab" and CTRL+Shift+TAB which did the opposite is now removed? It's a change they apparently did in v83 only because I don't remember v82 doing this. It makes it a huge pain to navigate between tabs with my left hand. Now I have to use CTRL+PageUp and CTRL+PageDown with my right hand, which would be better used holding the mouse.
Ctrl+Tab still navigates tabs for me (and I actually didn't know about that before ty, only knew about ctrl+pgup/pgdn). Firefox 83 on Windows 10.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just uncheck "Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order" in the Options screen.