• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Came back to this game after getting through the main story of Odyssey.

So, history mode is where things get intense! I'm not 100% completing any maps; I will consider myself done once I unlock all characters. Right now Celica and Anna are left. All I can say right now is that I wish I had trained my archers up more, due to a particular map.

I have to say, I was mistaken about the VA in my first take. There were a couple characters I didn't like as much during story mode, but after spending more time with the characters and being forced to use different teams during history mode, I think everyone is really well portrayed -- no complaints whatsoever.

I really like how some of the history mode constraints push the player. Specifically, without brave weapons the shadow elimination maps have been tough. They involve managing a lot of things at once -- summoners, healers, ralliers, while surviving an onslaught of powerful shadow characters who seem to sponge damage really well. These maps are the first time in the game I haven't been able to just separate my party and take enemy forts. Several times I've had to deliberately leave someone defending my base, send out units to take out specific targets rather than capture forts, and make sure I had healers in the right spots. The other maps I've found challenging are timed elimination maps against captains. Specifically, Gharnef's level on Celica's map took a couple of tries, because one of my strongest units, Cordelia, kept getting chased by a certain shadow archer.

Relative to Hyrule Warriors, I also feel I am progressing much more meaningfully and quickly in the post-game. At times the maps in that game could feel a bit too grindy for me. Fire Emblem Warriors has done a lot more than I initially realized to progress the franchise.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently at Chapter 18 right now!

I've beaten every Chapter twice and trying to only use characters to get every crest for Camilla. She's level 40 rn and I really need to use Hinoka, who I've completely ignored until now...hmph

Toadette

Oct 29, 2017
About to start it up. Been neglecting it. I feel like everyone else is playing Mario and I should take this back. Lol

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
About to start it up. Been neglecting it. I feel like everyone else is playing Mario and I should take this back. Lol
Same here. I've only just started Mario but I had this before and I'm this close to actually opening and playing it. I loved Hyrule Warriors so I'm very hopeful for this.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the story a few days ago, redoing some early maps to get the extra ana panels. The Awakening one is probably the easiest one to complete right?

SpScarecrow

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the Awakening map in History mode when i went back there were Outrealm portals on the map. Should i just come back to those and is there a point is doing them other than higher difficulty? I skipped through the text lol

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the Awakening map in History mode when i went back there were Outrealm portals on the map. Should i just come back to those and is there a point is doing them other than higher difficulty? I skipped through the text lol
They drop items for powering up personal weapons, so if you're interested in that you should do them.

Oct 25, 2017
Level 55 Ryoma with a level 51 Rowan doing whatever was enough to clear the Yato scroll map with an S rank once I figured out that rather than have them paired up it is better to have them apart and either switch between them or let the AI controlled character rack up kills. Too bad I had not used Corrin at all before that. I still need one of her silver materials to get the A-rank weapon crest :(

Also some of the maps with restrictions are terrible. The axe one on the Awakening map I had to hide my Lissa and then when Lucina came I had to nope the fuck out with Camilla. Had Steady Freddie guarding the allied base while AI controlled Camilla took forts and made it to the final boss.

I do have a surplus of Master Seals now though. Promoted a few from Awakening (Chrom, Fred, Cordelia)

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Shadow Elimination maps are just evil. Did the level 41 one with Lyn's sprite that's all Xanders. And enemies who buff them. And enemies who heal them. I won, but I need to redo it both for another Anna Memento and for an S rank. Was just 20 seconds too slow. I do like that like most times I've been in a pinch on a map, it ended with "And then Tiki turned into a dragon and killed everything. At the same time." She's my crutch character. If all else fails, Tiki it.

I could use a good map to level a lot of people from 30 to 50-ish. Got any favorite grinding or gold spots for that? I thought Timed Onslaughts would be good for it, but then I saw that all non-Hero enemies are level 1s in those, no matter the level... So that's out. I need a better map. Or several maps with very biased enemy distributions. I know team Pegasus is loving the level 30 Gharnef at the bottom of Dark Pontifex for this. All swords and mages. If there's an all axes or lances map hiding somewhere like this, I kind of want to find them.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That map becomes much simpler if you have a horse slaying weapon. I had just finished story mode and tried to get to Lyn's map as quickly as possible, and I went from barely finishing the map to getting an S rank fairly easily once I went with a character with a weapon with a horse slaying skill.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow Elimination maps are just evil. Did the level 41 one with Lyn's sprite that's all Xanders. And enemies who buff them. And enemies who heal them. I won, but I need to redo it both for another Anna Memento and for an S rank. Was just 20 seconds too slow. I do like that like most times I've been in a pinch on a map, it ended with "And then Tiki turned into a dragon and killed everything. At the same time." She's my crutch character. If all else fails, Tiki it.

I could use a good map to level a lot of people from 30 to 50-ish. Got any favorite grinding or gold spots for that? I thought Timed Onslaughts would be good for it, but then I saw that all non-Hero enemies are level 1s in those, no matter the level... So that's out. I need a better map. Or several maps with very biased enemy distributions. I know team Pegasus is loving the level 30 Gharnef at the bottom of Dark Pontifex for this. All swords and mages. If there's an all axes or lances map hiding somewhere like this, I kind of want to find them.

Can't speak from experience, but I believe people have suggested the World Tree map for grinding (the one where the MCs get their swords).

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
That map becomes much simpler if you have a horse slaying weapon. I had just finished story mode and tried to get to Lyn's map as quickly as possible, and I went from barely finishing the map to getting an S rank fairly easily once I had a character with a weapon with a horse slaying skill.
Yeah that's my plan for the second Anna Memento. I mean I'm going back anyway, so I'm going to get a Mountslayer weapon and destroy that map later. Hm, I think I have a bow with that, could put that onto Sakura's next bow. Silver bow with Mountslayer. If it has four legs and/or wings, it's dead. Maybe slap a Topsy-Turvey on it since it's Sakura.

Still, the next map to get there is a level 41 Shadow Elimination, so I'm leveling my people up a bit first.
Can't speak from experience, but I believe people have suggested the World Tree map for grinding (the one where the MCs get their swords).
Didn't consider the story missions, to be honest. I wasn't thinking of revisiting those until it was time to unlock Anna. Meaning coming in with level 60+ characters and doing a victory lap. I could try that.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I just juggled the shadow Xanders around in place while my other characters went and killed the mages.

Oct 25, 2017
Going to just list out some goals to work towards now that I have completed the story and have started the grind

- Promote everyone. I think I am a little more than halfway on the master seals.
- Get everyone as high a level as possible. This means Paragon and money grinding
- Fully unlock the unique weapons, especially for characters I like. This goes hand in hand with my first two goals
- Complete History Mode maps. I have already beaten Awakening's minus the rifts.

Crazy goals would be to max support with everyone and get all crests with everyone. That seems like it would take way more time than I am likely to have fun with the game still.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Going to just list out some goals to work towards now that I have completed the story and have started the grind

- Promote everyone. I think I am a little more than halfway on the master seals.
- Get everyone as high a level as possible. This means Paragon and money grinding
- Fully unlock the unique weapons, especially for characters I like. This goes hand in hand with my first two goals
- Complete History Mode maps. I have already beaten Awakening's minus the rifts.

Crazy goals would be to max support with everyone and get all crests with everyone. That seems like it would take way more time than I am likely to have fun with the game still.
Just wait until the DLC comes out and there's even more to do!

GrObi

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the best looking Switch game in handheld mode? It's so amazing crisp and smooth, I can't believe it. The visual effects are soooo sweet.
I remember when I first play Dynasty Warriors: Next on the Vita. It blows me away - and, lol, it is nothing compared to my FE Warriors experience.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is promoted. Making a beeline for Lyn, Celica, and especially Anna was so painful, but it was worth it. Anna in particular (on the Fates map) ended up being me just sitting in my home base and have all the enemies crash themselves on me while I take advantage of fort healing. Lianna was in the high 50s, while Rowan and Corrin were in the low 40s. Took a long time, but I beat it. Thank goodness none of the Master Seals are locked behind anything too bad. Currently working on the supports while clearing out all the difficulties of story mode.

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo really did themselves a disserve by not releasing this in September along with the Japanese release in North America. Putting this out a week before Super Mario Odyssey really just made me forget about it completely. I might get back to it after Mario, but I'm not sure. If I had it in September, probably would have dived into it a lot more.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to delete specific DLC for Switch games? I downloaded the Japanese VO and turns out I never even used it for my entire playthrough, and it's now taking up 2.5GB of space on my card. I've searched, even went through menus on my Switch and cannot find anywhere to delete it without deleting the entire game
The catch here is that once a save file has been flagged as having DLC added to it—even if it's free content—the game won't load the save unless all of the associated DLC data is also present.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game!!!
My final stats :>
DN2YLjFVAAAkSTN.jpg

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is this betrer than Dragon Quest heroes ?

Also, is the story mode really as bland as the reviews make it out to be ?

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this better than Dragon Quest heroes ?

Also, is the story mode really as bland as the reviews make it out to be ?

It's different from Dragon Quest Heroes. I enjoyed them both, but there are no monster medals here.

The story mode is alright, but the story itself is bland. No reason to play this game if you're just interested in that.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I know the materials list exists, but is there a list of who needs what? I got the item to unlock corrins true weapon potential, but can't get the A rank weapon skill because it's all ???? Still for the top item

Does that list exist?

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the story mode and have done some historical events... and I really like the game, but it's not as engaging as Hyrule Warriors

The story is too fucking kid show anime... This aint Game of Thrones
The weapon power progression feel rather poor compared to Hyrule Warriors, feels really stagnant
It is a shame they weren't more creative with the weapons you can use with heroes. But I guess you are supposed to use a hero as a weapon instead.

The voice acting was much better than I expected given the trailers.
Tiki is the best
Hinoka is crap

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Beat the story mode and have done some historical events... and I really like the game, but it's not as engaging as Hyrule Warriors

The story is too fucking kid show anime... This aint Game of Thrones
The weapon power progression feel rather poor compared to Hyrule Warriors, feels really stagnant
It is a shame they weren't more creative with the weapons you can use with heroes. But I guess you are supposed to use a hero as a weapon instead.

The voice acting was much better than I expected given the trailers.
Tiki is the best
Hinoka is crap
Were...were you expecting a Game of Thrones plot in a story entirely designed as a crossover vehicle?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's better than Heroes' story at least, which sometimes feels more like Advance Wars than Fire Emblem (well, the 4 sibling battles in Warriors' story here were kind of like that too). But, yes, it's clear that the staff of this game basically only cared about the recent entries, thus all the focus on power of bonds.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
This game is making me want to give Fates another chance. I always got frustrated by the ridiculous plots of those games and quit around the midpoint. But playing as the Fates characters in Warriors is just so fun. Ryoma is so satisfying to play as with those fast sword slashes. Can't believe I'm growing to love this Lobster-headed weirdo. Surprisingly, Sakura is also one of my favourites to play as. I thought archers would suck in a Warriors game but here we are.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This game is making me want to give Fates another chance. I always got frustrated by the ridiculous plots of those games and quit around the midpoint. But playing as the Fates characters in Warriors is just so fun. Ryoma is so satisfying to play as with those fast sword slashes. Can't believe I'm growing to love this Lobster-headed weirdo. Surprisingly, Sakura is also one of my favourites to play as. I thought archers would suck in a Warriors game but here we are.

Fates is playable if you just skip every cutscene and play for gameplay. :P

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Good news! Unlocked Lyn, threw a Master Seal at her while I'm at it. Success!

But that map... Wow. How are you supposed to get an S-Rank for that? Shadow Elimination maps are slow enough as is, but this one has a nasty twist at the end to extend the map even further.
Suddenly, Velezark! Who has a ton of HP and takes a while to beat.

Is there a trick to doing Shadow Elimination maps fast or is this just a case of "Gain 30 more levels, come back and stomp it?" I can throw numbers at the problem until it stops if I have to. I mean that's the only way to do the last part, I think. More damage makes that faster. But it would be nice to shave 3-5 minutes off every Shadow Elimination, too.

Also that reminds me, apparently I haven't unlocked Silver Bows yet. I should find one... or just jump straight to Brave Bows.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You just want to send two units to take out the two summoners as quickly as possible and then deal with all the rest of the mess (like priests and rally captains) afterwards.

For Velezark, there's the weakness that the game points out regarding how the weapons he summons correspond to his current weapon type (so if he attacks with energy swords, he's weak to lances). Also, he seems to count as a monster, not a dragon as far as weapon weakness go.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Good news! Unlocked Lyn, threw a Master Seal at her while I'm at it. Success!

But that map... Wow. How are you supposed to get an S-Rank for that? Shadow Elimination maps are slow enough as is, but this one has a nasty twist at the end to extend the map even further.
Suddenly, Velezark! Who has a ton of HP and takes a while to beat.

Is there a trick to doing Shadow Elimination maps fast or is this just a case of "Gain 30 more levels, come back and stomp it?" I can throw numbers at the problem until it stops if I have to. I mean that's the only way to do the last part, I think. More damage makes that faster. But it would be nice to shave 3-5 minutes off every Shadow Elimination, too.

Also that reminds me, apparently I haven't unlocked Silver Bows yet. I should find one... or just jump straight to Brave Bows.
For shadow maps you should use Plate, Horse, Flying, Beast, Dragon weakness weapons

They are pretty hard if you don't... pretty easy if you do
30 levels higher ain't enough to stomp shadow levels, only weakness helps

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up this game yesterday. I made the mistake of choosing the guy and thinking that the possible Waifu would make up for his awful voice. So far I regret it. As soon as I can switch to a different character, I do.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Picked this up but after a couple of hours, I might trade it in tomorrow.

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, other than mashing buttons.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up but after a couple of hours, I might trade it in tomorrow.

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, other than mashing buttons.
You are not supposed to mash buttons
You are supposed to follow the ojectives

The most important targets are the big red dots with health bars, they are guarding forts and quest objectives.

Pro tip is to read the tutorial tips that pop up when you first start the game, they explain what need to be done.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
I know the materials list exists, but is there a list of who needs what? I got the item to unlock corrins true weapon potential, but can't get the A rank weapon skill because it's all ???? Still for the top item

Does that list exist?
a rank weapon unlock 1st item is the chara gold drop
idk if there's the english list for that since i usually just check jp wiki

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked Marth's top weapon crest and it added a skill to his Exalted Falchion that needs 10,000 kills to open. Problem is the weapon power is 80 and I'm used to him using a Brave Sword with at least twice that power. Do I just have to grind it out with the weaker weapon until I get the kills to max its attack? Any tips? Go back to easier maps?

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked Marth's top weapon crest and it added a skill to his Exalted Falchion that needs 10,000 kills to open. Problem is the weapon power is 80 and I'm used to him using a Brave Sword with at least twice that power. Do I just have to grind it out with the weaker weapon until I get the kills to max its attack? Any tips? Go back to easier maps?
just do the easier "kill as much enemies as you can within this time limit" maps multiple times

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
For shadow maps you should use Plate, Horse, Flying, Beast, Dragon weakness weapons

They are pretty hard if you don't... pretty easy if you do
30 levels higher ain't enough to stomp shadow levels, only weakness helps
Yeah, but it's Validar. He doesn't have a weakness. But I did look it up on Youtube. It seems the winning move is send a flier paired with a heavy hitter against each sage immediately and just wipe them out in the first minute. That makes for much fewer Shadows to fight.

As for the second part... I learned something fun about archers that I've begun exploiting already. I didn't know the manual aim strong attack had a second charge if you charge longer for Gold Stun. On anything. So, um, Sakura is apparently a diehard boss killer.

On a related note, did you know Tiki's Armored Blow skill makes that charge attack uninterruptible? You do take the damage, but you're still charging.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
So, I finally unlocked all the characters on hard/classic. All told it took 15 hours to complete the story and another 20 for postgame. The only thing I didn't touch was Dark Pontifex, since there was no character tied to that.

I won't come back to the game until DLC, but I had a fun time playing. It would be cool to promote everyone and unleash their weapons, but the gameplay loop isn't compelling enough for me to spend that much time right now with so much else to play.

The Anna mission ended up being surprisingly easy with my team of level 56-57 units. It was the last thing I did. I did her Awakening map and had Lianna take her and one sister out before any more could be summoned. After that things were straightforward, but it did take me over 30 minutes to complete.

The hardest missions for me were on Celica's history mode map: the archers-only mission (I only had steel bows, but I promoted Takumi and Sakura and raised them to level 45 each, gave Takumi dracoslayer and Sakura topsy turvy) and the no-healing map (Rowan almost died to mages, I hid him behind another unit using pair up).