• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I should have paid more attention to the objective. I just assumed kill everything including the Death Knight or just the Death Knight. But alas.

Is 1 more chance enough? I think I read that you need at least 2?

Anyways thanks, you too PBalfredo
You only need two if you want to go through both Dark Mage and Dark Bishop. But the former is not a prerequisite for the latter, so you can make someone a Dark Bishop with a single dark seal without them ever being a Dark Mage. I'd recommend that, in fact, as gaining Fiendish Blow (+6 magic when initiating the attack) from mastering the normal Mage class is a better than going Dark Mage for Poison Strike.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
You only need two if you want to go through both Dark Mage and Dark Bishop. But the former is not a prerequisite for the latter, so you can make someone a Dark Bishop with a single dark seal without them ever being a Dark Mage. I'd recommend that, in fact, as gaining Fiendish Blow (+6 magic when initiating the attack) from mastering the normal Mage class is a better than going Dark Mage for Poison Strike.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I actually made Hubert a standard Mage because I did not have any dark seals so it's nice that that's actually the better choice.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that last boss fight in the DLC is such a pain.

When doing a New Game +, what do I do with all of these crests?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
FE Three Houses is on sale for $35 at Amazon and Best Buy. Not sure how long that runs. Amazon also has the digital version on sale for $40

www.dekudeals.com

Fire Emblem: Three Houses | Deku Deals

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - on sale now for 12% off. Compare all the current prices, see histories, and get deal alerts for the next sale at Deku Deals

They give you the effects of the crest. It is an item thing that you can place in inventory of a character.
Ok, thanks. Ill see if I can find a guide to see which ones work best with which characters.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Hey ERA, I'm back at playing 3H.

I'm on my first playtrough (black eagles), and I'm killing all students from other houses (to gain experience). But when they die, the music stops, it's kind of sad, and my students complain they died. Did I do something wrong (should I spare them?) or they are gone since i didn't recruit them?

Thank you!

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm on my first playtrough (black eagles), and I'm killing all students from other houses (to gain experience). But when they die, the music stops, it's kind of sad, and my students complain they died. Did I do something wrong (should I spare them?) or they are gone since i didn't recruit them?

Thank you!

Nothing you can do.
Iirc, in Crimson Flower there is one character you can spare and recruit if you figth them with Byleth or Edelgard, but everyone else dies for real

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US

Thank you!
Yeah, in FE, the characters that usually have a dying statement with a music change are important and can be recruited. You don't have to, nor can you recruit all of them too easily(without multiple playthroughs), so it's essentially showing you the horrors of war through being able to kill people so close to you. And yes, once they're gone, they're gone.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I believe in each route there's one (route-specific) character that can be recruited in part 2.

Other than that, characters must be killed unless specified otherwise (some are mandatory targets per mission objectives, some are not).

Some unrecruitable characters may trigger the special dying animation though. But I'm not 100% sure on that one.

And in one route there are three "speareable" characters.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Great, thank you all. First time I played Path of Radiance I remember I killed some recruitable characters (or let them die, or didn't recruit them). 3H is a little different in this regard so it's great to know.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
I just started the mock combat with all the classes. How come the other classes are level 2 while my group is level 1? Did I miss a way to level my class?

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I just started the mock combat with all the classes. How come the other classes are level 2 while my group is level 1? Did I miss a way to level my class?
No, that's just how they're set up as enemy units in the mock battle. This should be the first outing for you class, aside from Byleth and your house leader who was in the prologue.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my first playtrough (crimson flower). Felt it a little too short, the ending also was lacking, but I inderstand there's another 3 routes to play.

I 'm just confused. The girl that appears on the dreams of Byleth was nowhere to be seen since crimson flower began. That's because I didn't side with the church? Or should I have choosen her as the "special one" to see some interaction with her at the ending?

Also, Rhea kept shouting "give my mother back" on the final chapters. Guess that's the girl on the dreams? And will this be explained in the other routes?

I'm thinking on doing the church route now, then if I'm still not burned by the school setting, training and all, a Dimitri or Cloude route.

Thank you.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Just finished my first playtrough (crimson flower). Felt it a little too short, the ending also was lacking, but I inderstand there's another 3 routes to play.

I 'm just confused. The girl that appears on the dreams of Byleth was nowhere to be seen since crimson flower began. That's because I didn't side with the church? Or should I have choosen her as the "special one" to see some interaction with her at the ending?

Also, Rhea kept shouting "give my mother back" on the final chapters. Guess that's the girl on the dreams? And will this be explained in the other routes?

I'm thinking on doing the church route now, then if I'm still not burned by the school setting, training and all, a Dimitri or Cloude route.

Thank you.

CF is the shortest route sadly. Sothis only appears again if you choose her as your S support at the end, but you learn more about her in some of the other routes. I think you should actually do Golden Deer next, based on your questions, as it goes more into the lore behind Rhea and Sothis. Blue Lions deals more with Edelgard and Dimitri's relationship and the church route is similar to Golden Deer but with a worse group dynamic and narrative focus (apparently, as it's the only route I haven't played yet).

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Thank you.
The girl, Sothis, disappears because she merged with Byleth after they fell into Solon's trap in the Sealed Forest. This happens in every route before the timeskip.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
The girl, Sothis, disappears because she merged with Byleth after they fell into Solon's trap in the Sealed Forest. This happens in every route before the timeskip.
I took a break of about 2 months from part 1 to part 2, and I didn't remember it. Now that you said I remember.

CF is the shortest route sadly. Sothis only appears again if you choose her as your S support at the end, but you learn more about her in some of the other routes. I think you should actually do Golden Deer next, based on your questions, as it goes more into the lore behind Rhea and Sothis. Blue Lions deals more with Edelgard and Dimitri's relationship and the church route is similar to Golden Deer but with a worse group dynamic and narrative focus (apparently, as it's the only route I haven't played yet).
I noticed that Dimitri called her 'El' and thought there might be something between them, nice to know that the Blue Lions route will address it.

Thank you both for the explanation.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Most of the questions are answered by playing all routes, but quite a few of these answers will require some digging through the supports.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
As people mentioned, Golden Deer is the answers route and Blue Lions is the personal drama route. Both are worth playing through.

As for supports that might contain a few answers, well... Seteth and Flayn's A support is worth mentioning. That one will put some earlier lines from the two in a much more interesting context.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
I'm starting my Blue Lions playthrough after doing Silver Snow and Golden Deer. I want to recruit students to fill out as many supports as possible without also being overburdened by units.

Caspar will be coming, since I need him for Mercedes' paralogue. Marianne and Hapi will be joining since they support Dimitri, and Constance and Yuri will join her.

Who else should I recruit, if anyone? Other possible candidates include Bernadetta, Lysithea, and Dorothea, though I've used Lysithea on every run so far, and might want to avoid having too many mages. For context, I did recruit Sylvain in my Golden Deer run, and I will be doing a Crimson Flower run after this, in which I can recruit some others. I might do another Silver Snow after that to get Rhea's S-support.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god I finally managed to snag the 30th anniversary box. I was just looking at something else on Best Buy, and it showed up in my 'recently viewed' section. "Strange, I thought Wario64 said they delisted it". Clicked through anyway, and it was in stock. Ordered with a quickness and now it's actually shipped.

EDIT: Whoops I thought this was a general fire emblem hangout. My bad.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I purchased this game a while ago and the last 2 times I started it, I quit pretty early on. The game for some reason ran like dogshit when docked, which really turned me off.

I picked it back up again and started a new game after finishing Persona 5.

H O L Y B A L L S.

This game is so polished, it's amazing! You also don't appreciate the music until you put headphones on. My god.

I'm only a few hours in, but it's so far the best Fire Emblem "package" that I've played.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Going through the Golden Deer route now and I think after I finish it I will take a break and then replay Crimson Flower since that was my first route.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
I'm now halfway through my Blue Lions playthrough, and I was offered a choice between going to Enbarr or to Fraldarius territory. I chose the latter. Was this an actual branching path? I forgot to make another save after that, so did I miss out on a chapter or would we have gone to Enbarr later anyway?

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I'm now halfway through my Blue Lions playthrough, and I was offered a choice between going to Enbarr or to Fraldarius territory. I chose the latter. Was this an actual branching path? I forgot to make another save after that, so did I miss out on a chapter or would we have gone to Enbarr anyway?
There is no branching there, just some dialogue differences.

jgwhiteus

Oct 30, 2017
I finally finished this after having it in my backlog for over a year. Played through all four paths on Hard/Classic, clocked in over 150 hours (and probably put in much more with the number of times I reset...)

I have a love/hate relationship with the RNG mechanics for leveling in the series. I absolutely LOATHE getting a bad roll on a level-up, to the point where I will reset if too many of my characters get RNG-screwed, yet I always get a thrill when a characters gets an overly generous roll (e.g. increases in 7+ stats) and having my characters OHKO enemies by end-game. I really wish they just standardized the level-ups and left the RNG mechanics to hits and critical strikes, but they've stuck with the formula for so long I'm not holding my breath. I will say that the Divine Pulse mechanic was a nice way of managing and undoing bad RNG rolls in the shorter maps/auxiliary battles.

Plot-wise, I appreciated that each path gave a different perspective, but think it's a bit unfair that you don't get close to the "full story" unless you play through all paths, with some paths feeling very short-changed. I played through Blue Lions first and at the end I thought "wait, that was it? What about all those unresolved plot threads?" Black Eagle/Crimson Flower was probably my favorite path, but it felt way too short and didn't really give me a chance to develop my team fully.

I liked the additional mechanics you can use to increase support (I think I was able to get almost all characters to max support levels with one another by the end), and that it allowed you to see more character interactions, but on the other hand it did seem to diminish the "meaning" of support levels, especially with the seemingly random way characters get paired with one another in the end.

I think Path of Radiance is still my favorite in the series, maybe for nostalgia reasons, but this is probably a close second, and I did appreciate the various new mechanics/QoL improvements introduced.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting back into this to finally beat it (i'm at like chapter 8 or 9, still in school). Quick question regarding skills like: Grants AVO +20 when using white magic.

How does that work exactly? Do you get that bonus just by being able to cast white magic, or do you actually have to equip and use a spell like heal to get that bonus? I have another character with a similar bonus for swords, but I never have a sword equipped on her (though she is capable) and only use her spells basically.

So just wondering if I should trade that skill for another one in that scenario, for something that would actually be useful if that isn't.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting back into this to finally beat it (i'm at like chapter 8 or 9, still in school). Quick question regarding skills like: Grants AVO +20 when using white magic.

How does that work exactly? Do you get that bonus just by being able to cast white magic, or do you actually have to equip and use a spell like heal to get that bonus? I have another character with a similar bonus for swords, but I never have a sword equipped on her (though she is capable) and only use her spells basically.

So just wondering if I should trade that skill for another one in that scenario, for something that would actually be useful if that isn't.
You need to have the correct weapon or spell type currently equipped.

The Avoid+ skills are very useful if you are making a dodge tank. In my last playthrough I had the Brawl AVO +20 skill from mastering the War Monk class on Ferdinand, whose personal skill grants Avoid +15 when at full HP, equipped him with a battalion that granted a further Avoid +15. Put that bad boy on a forest tile and no one could hit him. Literally.

If you're not building a dodge tank, and you feel there is competition for the ability slot, feel free to swap it out for something more useful, since in most cases the real answer is to just not let the enemy anywhere near your white mage to begin with. Dodge tank Dancers are absolutely real and viable, but other builds enjoy holding on to their spells more. Dorothea, for example, enjoys having the Meteor spell equipped to give allies in range a link bonus, while still being able to Dance for her allies.

If you make a dodge tank, you'll be doing a lot of counter-attacking. Avoid-abilities that require physical weapons has the benefit that weapon durability lasts much longer than spell charges. I don't know off hand if White Magic Avoid still works if your equipped white magic has zero charges, but you likely won't be as effective.

Last edited:

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

You need to end that characters turn with a white spell equipped. So white magic avoid is rather useless, you are rarely ending your turn while using white magic in range of being attacked. It especially sucks for Byleth since their spell list is trash.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 5 hours into the game, there's still many tutorials popping up, I'm as of yet unsure how grinding levels/playing battles again works in the game.
I read in some faq that apparently I could have even grinded the first regular battle, but I'm not sure how that would have worked as the day immediately moved on. Anyone care to elaborate?
Also, I'm now on the brink of battle in (not sure of chapter 2 or 3), with one optional battle that costs no activity points, and one that costs 1 point. Can I do both in either order without the day ending? I wish it would be better explained in-game...

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 5 hours into the game, there's still many tutorials popping up, I'm as of yet unsure how grinding levels/playing battles again works in the game.
I read in some faq that apparently I could have even grinded the first regular battle, but I'm not sure how that would have worked as the day immediately moved on. Anyone care to elaborate?
Also, I'm now on the brink of battle in (not sure of chapter 2 or 3), with one optional battle that costs no activity points, and one that costs 1 point. Can I do both in either order without the day ending? I wish it would be better explained in-game...

When someone says grinding in the first battle, they probably mean you could leave 1 enemy alive, surround him with your own so he can't move, and just have 1 weak unit slowly wail on him. It's a bit difficult without enemies which self-heal though.

Battles which cost no activity points are infinite, you can do them 100 times and the day will not end. The day won't end until you do the one which does cost activity points (assuming you choose to spend your days battling instead of exploring the monastery).

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
When someone says grinding in the first battle, they probably mean you could leave 1 enemy alive, surround him with your own so he can't move, and just have 1 weak unit slowly wail on him. It's a bit difficult without enemies which self-heal though.

Battles which cost no activity points are infinite, you can do them 100 times and the day will not end. The day won't end until you do the one which does cost activity points (assuming you choose to spend your days battling instead of exploring the monastery).
I see, makes much more sense now. Thanks for the answers :)

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm finally pushing through this game. I took a break for a while after I beat Blue Lions.

I'm close to finishing Black Eagles now.

And concerning ships, wow so I feel this route pushes Edelgard x Byleth far more than it did Dimitri x Byleth. Sucks to be Hubert since I've already decided to marry her.

Hubert has way more chemistry with Ferdie than he does with anyone else anyway.

Also the end of the Dorothea-Hubert support chain is just cringe. I'm glad they can't actually marry each other in the end which makes me wonder why they even bothered to have a romantic A support

And why do Felix and Bernadetta have an A plus support together? At least Felix had some hilarious sexual tension with Dorothea. I'd have switched those Felix-Bernie supports for Felix-Hubert supports. C'mon, game. Stop trying to turn Felix into a harem protagonist that hates that he's a harem protagonist even though it is entertaining

Also Caspar and Hubert's VAs kill it every time

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm finally pushing through this game. I took a break for a while after I beat Blue Lions.

I'm close to finishing Black Eagles now.

And concerning ships, wow so I feel this route pushes Edelgard x Byleth far more than it did Dimitri x Byleth. Sucks to be Hubert since I've already decided to marry her.

Hubert has way more chemistry with Ferdie than he does with anyone else anyway.

Also the end of the Dorothea-Hubert support chain is just cringe. I'm glad they can't actually marry each other in the end which makes me wonder why they even bothered to have a romantic A support

And why do Felix and Bernadetta have an A plus support together? At least Felix had some hilarious sexual tension with Dorothea. I'd have switched those Felix-Bernie supports for Felix-Hubert supports. C'mon, game. Stop trying to turn Felix into a harem protagonist that hates that he's a harem protagonist even though it is entertaining

Also Caspar and Hubert's VAs kill it every time
Yeah, Crimson Flower really leans into the inherit romanticism of rebellion (not just against the system, but also the roles Rhea and TWSitD intended for Byleth and Edelgard) to the point that it almost seems incomplete without ending with Edeleth. And Hubert/Ferdinand is a full on opposites-attract, enemies-to-lovers ship. The route takes some big swings and I am here for it.

Bernie/Felix is the natural conclusion of Felix's supports trending towards the smol cute girls (Annette, Flayn, Lysithea, etc) while Bernie is surrounded by the most intimidating men (Hubert, Yuri, Jeritza, etc). I actually rather like their support, since by their A+ Bernie is probably at her most outgoing, and even got Felix to socialize! Unfortunately the ending really ruins it when it states that Bernie regressed back to being a recluse for some reason. Which is especially weird in CF, the route where she is shown to make the most progress.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone already mention this Renown/gold glitch/cheat? Only works if you have the DLC and NG+(mostly) for reasons that will become obvious.

https://samurai-gamers.com/fire-emblem-three-houses/renown-farming-guide/ said:
this is somewhat a glitch, but it was found if you spend 65,536 renown or more at 1 time, the renown cost is rolled back to 0, so buying 94 silver Gauntlet+ only cost about 246 renown, which you can then sell, to easily make money and then sell. To reach the renown to start the exploit,(65,536) without dlc, and new game gifts, you'd need about 800,000 gold. this is a lot, if your playing on normal mode you can do this over an hour/2 of grinding. But once you do get that threshold, you can be buying 94 silver gauntlets+ for 240 renown, and selling them for 60,000 gold each stack, then buying seeds for 55,000 getting 4,500 more renown, and begin the cycle

I farmed about 600,000 renown just so I can have a fun maddening playthrough.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm finally making my way through GD and Claude surprisingly has 0 chemistry with any of the men. Twitter lied to me. And he has the least chemistry with Byleth of any of the lords. Dimitri is way more bi than Claude is.

I have no idea why anyone would like Claude x Dimitri(they hardly interact) or Claude x Lorenz.

In fact, Claude doesn't seem to have romantic chemistry with any of the characters outside Hilda and Petra so far. Claude is actually a little forward with Hilda and Claude seems genuinely attracted to Petra.

I guess it makes pairing him easy for me.

Also Claude's support line with Ingrid is a travesty and I'm almost upset that these two were the characters that IS think deserve 4 convos with each other. This should've ended at a B and they should've given an extra support to his Marianne support line.

Ingrid-Claude's support chain made both of them worse characters and I can't believe they can get married and the relationship doesn't even change, it stays toxic.

Last edited:

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Honestly Claude is the least interesting of the lords, he had so much potential to be a master schemer but part 2 just doesn't know what to do with him so his storyline feels pretty disconnected from his background and interests, very much unlike Edelgard and Dimitri. VW is just Claude reacting to things happening around him.

Basically the memes are too accurate:
images

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally making my way through GD and Claude surprisingly has 0 chemistry with any of the men. Twitter lied to me. And he has the least chemistry with Byleth of any of the lords. Dimitri is way more bi than Claude is.

I have no idea why anyone would like Claude x Dimitri(they hardly interact) or Claude x Lorenz.

In fact, Claude doesn't seem to have romantic chemistry with any of the characters outside Hilda and Petra so far. Claude is actually a little forward with Hilda and Claude seems genuinely attracted to Petra.

I guess it makes pairing him easy for me.

Also Claude's support line with Ingrid is a travesty and I'm almost upset that these two were the characters that IS think deserve 4 convos with each other. This should've ended at a B and they should've given an extra support to his Marianne support line.

Ingrid-Claude's support chain made both of them worse characters and I can't believe they can get married and the relationship doesn't even change, it stays toxic.

Transformative fandom is 100% about the "what could be" rather than giving a single fuck about how much characters do or don't interact in canon. It's about looking at the potential of personalities, ideals, etc and going "hey, how would this work," because it's not like the game can give you every possible configuration.

That said, the Claude+Dimitri stuff is largely because of stuff that happens on Azure Moon, not Verdant Wind, though it does take a bit of a critical eye and a deeper look at Claude's character and motivations to pick apart. I'm not really into the Claude/Lorenz stuff myself, so I can't really say I see the appeal... though I guess their later supports+ending card. Not arguments that his support with Ingrid is an actual travesty and I could think of at least one other female character in the cast that would've been a more interesting option.

Also, if you're using M!Byleth, make sure you still at least look up Claude's S-support because like literally everything else with Claude? All of his interesting information is completely locked away to supports that you may or may not see. There's a lot of really cool stuff to unpack with him, but you have to go digging (this is why his support with Marianne is one of my favorites in the game, honestly). GD route on the whole is a lot more about the overarching narrative, lore and backstory, Claude's motivations are driven by that so his character stuff makes doing his supports a lot more prevalent than what ends up happening for the other two lords.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Transformative fandom is 100% about the "what could be" rather than giving a single fuck about how much characters do or don't interact in canon. It's about looking at the potential of personalities, ideals, etc and going "hey, how would this work," because it's not like the game can give you every possible configuration.

That said, the Claude+Dimitri stuff is largely because of stuff that happens on Azure Moon, not Verdant Wind, though it does take a bit of a critical eye and a deeper look at Claude's character and motivations to pick apart. I'm not really into the Claude/Lorenz stuff myself, so I can't really say I see the appeal... though I guess their later supports+ending card. Not arguments that his support with Ingrid is an actual travesty and I could think of at least one other female character in the cast that would've been a more interesting option.

Also, if you're using M!Byleth, make sure you still at least look up Claude's S-support because like literally everything else with Claude? All of his interesting information is completely locked away to supports that you may or may not see. There's a lot of really cool stuff to unpack with him, but you have to go digging (this is why his support with Marianne is one of my favorites in the game, honestly). GD route on the whole is a lot more about the overarching narrative, lore and backstory, Claude's motivations are driven by that so his character stuff makes doing his supports a lot more prevalent than what ends up happening for the other two lords.

Who is the other female character cast that would've been more interesting for Claude to support with? Edelgard? I mean it's sad that lords can't have supports with each other but I can imagine them having a great support line.

That's a good point about the "what could be" idea. And I agree that Claude's support with Marianne is one of his best in the game.

That said, I do know Lorenz's supports and their ending card is really a bunch of nothing. It's not even romantically-coded. They don't even hang out in their ending. Dimitri and Edie have romantically-coded same sex endings at least.

I don't know Claude's S support so I should look that up. But all I get are platonic vibes between Claude & Byleth. I feel like he's my bro more than anything else.

Anyways, I already finished Blue Lions a while back and I'm just not seeing that much potential between Claude and Dimitri. If anything their final interaction left a bad taste in my mouth in retrospect where Claude gifts everything to Dimitri. The Alliance territory just drops into Dimitri's lap. At least Edelgard, straight up over-powered Claude. Not to mention that Claude's goals align way more with Edelgard's than Dimitri who is the status quo guy.

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
Who is the other female character cast that would've been more interesting for Claude to support with? Edelgard? I mean it's sad that lords can't have supports with each other but I can imagine them having a great support line.

That's a good point about the "what could be" idea. And I agree that Claude's support with Marianne is one of his best in the game.

That said, I do know Lorenz's supports and their ending card is really a bunch of nothing. It's not even romantically-coded. They don't even hang out in their ending. Dimitri and Edie have romantically-coded same sex endings at least.

I don't know Claude's S support so I should look that up. But all I get are platonic vibes between Claude & Byleth. I feel like he's my bro more than anything else.

Anyways, I already finished Blue Lions a while back and I'm just not seeing that much potential between Claude and Dimitri. If anything their final interaction left a bad taste in my mouth in retrospect where Claude gifts everything to Dimitri. The Alliance territory just drops into Dimitri's lap. At least Edelgard, straight up over-powered Claude. Not to mention that Claude's goals align way more with Edelgard's than Dimitri who is the status quo guy.

For me, it's Dorothea, since Claude falls into this interesting gray area of being nobility, but not really acting like the typical noble sort, plus Dorothea's own sort of "outsider" status as the only commoner in her house could create a very interesting dynamic.

Claude's S-support really isn't about his chemistry with Byleth for me though, more just that it gives you some interesting context and stuff about his character and backstory you can't see in any other route. I don't mind Claude/Byleth though, I think Claude is just the sort of character who is very low-key about his feelings because he's so goal-oriented, but a lot of his ending cards show that he can be quite a romantic when you get to the love and trust thing, and it shows some parallels with his own mother's backstory, which is cool.

I can't really agree with the Dimitri being status quo, since:
His endings are almost unilaterally about shifting away from that status quo of how the nobility and the church have the final say. His methods seem to edge closer to bringing Fodlan into a constitutional monarchy or something similar. He's definitely got a different approach, but seems to abide more by the idea that you don't need to completely abolish the church to diminish its influence, and that compromise can be met. The problem was Rhea's hold on everything, which ties pretty directly into the lore stuff you learn mostly in Verdant Wind, and a bit in Silver Snow.

THAT SAID! The whole thing with Dimitri and Claude in Azure Moon makes sense when you understand a bit more about Claude's motivations specifically. This will get into a bit with some stuff from Crimson Flower and Verdant Wind, but I won't put too much detail on the VW stuff:

Claude giving Dimitri Failnaught directly contrasts with how he doesn't do the same even if you spare him in CF (which is considered canon, as far as I know, according to Word of God dev stuff). Claude leaving Fodlan is him conceding that he can't be the one to achieve his goals. Giving Failnaught to Dimitri is a sign of trust and belief that he can accomplish those dreams—which is also why he implies that he'd like to meet again in the future. Which ties into his backstory and VW ultimate goals. Some of the ancillary material like the drama CD and heroes gives you more of a sense that Dimitri and Claude were pretty friendly as house leaders, too, and they're seen on campus together at one point during White Clouds, The drama CD is legitimately funny since they go into the sauna and Claude literally is taken aback by how stacked Dimitri is, so that probably also fuels some people's fire.

With Edelgard, he pretty much says "the Alliance will comply with you, but I'm outie, see ya." which is kind of a double-whammy of his dream being dead and his lack of trust in Edelgard for that reason.

On the surface, it may seem like he and Edelgard have similar goals, but they really... don't. His are a lot bigger and don't rely on destroying the church, he even says in his supports that he gets the need for the church/religion and gets the idea that stripping that from people would probably do a lot of harm because taking away what people believe in is dangerous. He also makes it clear at points that he absolutely disagrees with Edelgard's methodology. Even if there is something similar in their goals, they are just sort of incompatible in that sense. Not in a who's right or wrong sort of way, since I think every route exists to make it clear that no one way is "correct," just in their ideals and how to chase them being different.

So I can't really agree that Claude aligns more with Edelgard or that he wouldn't align with Dimitri.

....Sorry that this is long, I just have spent a lot of hours with this game, a lot of time kind of poking holes into the meta and also just generally like Claude a lot so I've spent my share of time really piecing stuff together with him, including the stuff that got sort of lost in translation in the localization.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Also I gotta say that Edelgard is over-villainized by the fandom in comparison to Rhea and Dimitri. She did a lot wrong but so did Rhea and Dimitri.
Rhea I get, but what did Dimitri do wrong? In part 1 he basically has no power to do anything since he hasn't ascended the throne, and in part 2 he either spents 5 years on the run from the Empire which does no favors to his mental health which reflects on how you find him in AM, or defends from an invasion from the Empire in CF.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Rhea I get, but what did Dimitri do wrong? In part 1 he basically has no power to do anything since he hasn't ascended the throne, and in part 2 he either spents 5 years on the run from the Empire which does no favors to his mental health which reflects on how you find him in AM, or defends from an invasion from the Empire in CF.

In practice, he's basically a serial killer leading an army in the beginning of Azure Moon.

"kill them all" is basically his tagline.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
In practice, he's basically a serial killer leading an army in the beginning of Azure Moon.

"kill them all" is basically his tagline.
He's like that after living the tragedy of Duscur, and being framed by the empire of regicide, which led him to be on the run for five years. While the Tragedy of Duscur wasn't fault of the empire, Rufus's death at the hands of Cornelia and Dimitri's false charges was. Don't see how that makes him equal to the woman who started a continent wide war and to the woman who burned an entire city to the ground.

The guy has reasons to go off the bat, and of all the characters, he's the only one who reaches the end of his route recognizing the damage he has done and knowing that the rest of his life has to be focused on atoning.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

People decided Claude should be gay before the game even released. It'd be cool if he was, but the desire for it is mostly based on his looks, not his actual interactions.

Though to be fair people love shipping characters who hate each other, that's what drives the Claude x Lorenz stuff (and Dimitri x Felix).

Claude is actually a little forward with Hilda

EBDRoEjVAAIdcxU