• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I loved everything with the dagger and the way it played out.

In the end he sat aside his need for revenge and tried to save her... but she'd come too far to ever back down. He's a good man who was just thrust into a world of suffering he never asked for. He deserves a happy ending y'all. ;_;

That entire meeting, last two maps and ending scene with Edel/Dimitri is especially more powerful coming from BE-E. That shit is just so tragic.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
But wouldnt higher tuitions benefit nobles more since they can afford the tuition? Despite the promote equality aspect, it is very difficult to muster up the money to attend the academy, and you even have staff talking about nobles getting their way in terms of housing arrangements as well.

It's actually no more exclusive than modern colleges, at least in the US, which are also laughably expensive and unless you come from money or get a scholarship, you're almost SOL attending anything besides a community college. You have to remember in this world there isn't such a thing as public education. Ferdinand had to suggest the idea to Edelgard.

As for housing, the best they gave them was the second story. It isn't like their rooms are better. Even then, they made it clear that they hate even doing that.

Overall, the Church isn't an angel since they have done some shady and questionable stuff, but people really drank Edelgard's Kool-Aid calling them evil and controlling humanity,

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
that's something i didn't understand, early on they say that the nobles live on the second floor because of vague reasons relating to status, but it doesn't seem to be the case? like, bernie is conspicuously on the first floor.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
that's something i didn't understand, early on they say that the nobles live on the second floor because of vague reasons relating to status, but it doesn't seem to be the case? like, bernie is conspicuously on the first floor.

Well Bernie was basically kidnapped, so maybe they never put in the paperwork to get the second floor. That some nobles could have forego the entire thing. For the most part, there is no discrimination between nobles, nobles with crests, and commoners from either the staff or even the students. All the crap seems to happen outside of the Church.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

She probably arranged it that way in the hopes that no one would think to look for her there.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Bernie's mom gave enough of a shit to see her daughter was ensured a second floor room.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017

They say that not all of them live up there, just that it's there for those who prefer it.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

what Seteth said is that generally they try to not give extra accomodations to the nobles, but sometimes they just have to because you know how nobles are.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
At chapter 10? 11?

New hair sucks, gimme my old hair back.

Also game, please stop taking away my teachers in missions, I have to use students who haven't seen battle since the start of the game.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Seteth is good at throwing shade, did you see his Hilda C support?

He's also so wholesome, his support with Bernadetta is the absolute best.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Seteth is one of the wholesome characters in this game when you get to see him interacting with the students in his supports.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Seteth's a pretty great character, with real flaws.

Seteth is a microcosm of the church in general. He's an overprotective father of Flayn because she suffered in the War against Nemesis and he lost his wife to the conflict as well. This mirrors how the church (rhea) dealt with the loss of Sothis, in that they decided to hold humanity back out of paranoia of something like the Argathians ever happening again. But through Flayn's persistence and Seteth's own compassion, he learns to let go of Flayn a little more while simultaneously learning that the path the church has taken is wrong, even if it comes from the right place. He's a great character.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Seteth is actually the one person to question Rhea's decision to appoint one random mercenary as the new profesor.

Last edited:

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Seteth legit surprised me since I figured I wasn't gonna like when he was first introduced. Really a great character.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got this game this weekend but finally I started to play a bit more today. I choose to teach at the Golden Deer. It's kinda nice be able to explore the places and don't be limited to vn-esque moments.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

In the end he sat aside his need for revenge and tried to save her... but she'd come too far to ever back down. He's a good man who was just thrust into a world of suffering he never asked for. He deserves a happy ending y'all. ;_;
yeah he is my favorite lord, Dimitri is a cool guy

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Every single one of Seteth's supports are great. He is my second favorite character after Edelgard.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can you transfer your weapon levels for the mc in the new game plus? Also do they affect how much you level up your characters while teaching them?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Can you transfer your weapon levels for the mc in the new game plus? Also do they affect how much you level up your characters while teaching them?
In NG+, you start back at the defaults, but you can spend renown to boost Byleth's weapon levels back up to as high as you had previously gotten them.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I genuinely loved his arc and that ending. It's extremely well done. That said, Dimitri does casually throw out in his support with Annette (I think) that he killed women and children and I was like "wait hold up what".

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
So I finished my first play through as BL. Say I only had one more run in me, which route should I choose?

chrisdm

Oct 27, 2017
Northeast United States
I apologize if this question has been asked far too many times throughout various FE:TH topics, and I'm not sure how to word my feelings exactly, but here's my thing:

I have been trying to get into Fire Emblem for what feels like forever now (used to love it casually on GBA), but I always get turned off because I lose a bunch of battle attempts in a row and feel like I don't know how to succeed or feel like I never get a grip on the mechanics.

With this one, my concern is that I would make a decision on a skill for a character that may be 'wrong' or 'not optimal' or that I would build a character the wrong way and put myself into a hole where I will continually lose and mess something up for the long game.

Are any of these concerns really valid? I feel like I'm just being irrational honestly and maybe I should dive in. I LOVE everything else about this title and it technically would be my first one I would try to deep dive into (considering I've never played more than a few hours other than on GBA).

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck I just beat it. I'm going to miss the Golden Deer gang

Still a bunch of unanswered questions but I guess that's why you should play all the houses

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I apologize if this question has been asked far too many times throughout various FE:TH topics, and I'm not sure how to word my feelings exactly, but here's my thing:

I have been trying to get into Fire Emblem for what feels like forever now (used to love it casually on GBA), but I always get turned off because I lose a bunch of battle attempts in a row and feel like I don't know how to succeed or feel like I never get a grip on the mechanics.

With this one, my concern is that I would make a decision on a skill for a character that may be 'wrong' or 'not optimal' or that I would build a character the wrong way and put myself into a hole where I will continually lose and mess something up for the long game.

Are any of these concerns really valid? I feel like I'm just being irrational honestly and maybe I should dive in. I LOVE everything else about this title and it technically would be my first one I would try to deep dive into (considering I've never played more than a few hours other than on GBA).
Honestly the game is very easy on normal and medium-easy with spikes on hard, so you won't really mess up the skill system even if you do wacky stuff. It's very much designed to let you play around freely with skills and classes.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017

Past games have been pretty unforgiving. Permadeath, an inability to grind, weapon durability, secret recruitment criteria, heck even shopping was heavily limited. So I totally get where you're coming from.

Three Houses has made the series a lot more accessible. You can turn permadeath off ("Casual mode"). If you're on Normal difficulty and feel like you're falling behind, you can grind. It's easier to tell who can be recruited, so you can gather plenty of benchwarmers just in case you need them. There's a lot of micromanaging your units' growth, which can feel intimidating, but you're given ample opportunity to make mistakes. And you can now rewind time mid-battle: it's limited so you can't horribly abuse it, but it's generous enough that you can rectify mistakes made in battle so you don't need to restart the whole thing.

It's still got some of that anxiety-inducing "I am making a decision now that will influence this unit's path for the next eighty hours of gameplay, and if I change my mind ten hours from now I'll have lost out on potential," but on the whole I think your concerns, while valid in the past, have been addressed well.

That said, if you have a DS, you might prefer Awakening, which has a lot of the quality of life improvements (permadeath off, easy shopping) but is shorter, and has less growth management (you can try to do fancy things with reclassing, but "stay in your current class for a while, then go to one of a handful of advanced classes midgame" is viable if not optimal for everyone of the cast). Also a bit cheaper ($40 digital).

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss something btw:

Who was byleth's mother? Or is this anwered in a different route? I played GD. Just someone from the church?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss something btw:

Who was byleth's mother? Or is this anwered in a different route? I played GD. Just someone from the church?
Most Byleth stuff gets answered in another route, but If you want to know now

Their mother was one of Rhea's previous failed experiments.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

As someone new to the series (and who has not played tactics games much in general in a long while), I think you will be fine! For starters... it's been very easy on Normal, haha. Most difficulty has come from me carelessly using units who were not actually fit for the fight, and even then it has not been too bad, I just felt like bringing them was wasteful when I had to barely use them. And they give you the ability to rewind your actions (with an increasing number of uses per fight) so you'll be able to undo mistakes. I think the mechanics could still stand to be explained a lot more, but they do clearly indicate stuff like who enemies are going to target, the chances of hitting + the damage they'll do, etc. which makes it very easy to make strategic decisions. Plus, you can do Casual for no perma-death; I still rewind to avoid losing people, but it means if I get very frustrated I can always stop caring and win the battle without worrying.

The training stuff can feel a little daunting but it does a good job of showing you what characters are strong at. Like it literally shows you what they'll level faster because they're good at it, sometimes along with one skill they're currently bad at and then will become good at + gain an extra ability once you train them in it a bit. From there, it's a little less intuitive/the menus can be a hassle at times, but you can look at all the classes they can become later on and pick skill goals to aim for based on what they'll be good at and the classes require. Some of that has become a bit frustrating now that I'm later on, cause I'm realizing that certain characters kinda need to level in some skills that I didn't realize were still so low; even then I don't feel like I've done anything "wrong", though, just needed to write down a note or something instead of wasting time fiddling with the menus each time.

And on top of that, classes are gained via tests they have an increasingly high % chance of passing as their skill levels approach the requirement. So even if you really messed up, as long as they have >30% chance of passing you could always just brute force it by trying each week (and reloading on failure- just to save the cost of trying, cause the roll used to decide the test is already set in advance).

So... yeah. I think it's easy to avoid that kind of situation without having to super overthink and research in advance! You should be fine.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I genuinely loved his arc and that ending. It's extremely well done. That said, Dimitri does casually throw out in his support with Annette (I think) that he killed women and children and I was like "wait hold up what".

Hmm I don't remember that lol.

I know he talks a lot about his unforgivable killings and his hands being stained with blood though.

Anyway he definitely had his issues for a time but he's worked through them and is ready to lead Fodlan into a peaceful era. We forgive you King.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I never really got time to appreciate the blue lions glow ups before caving their faces in during my prior Edelgard route, so now I've reached the Blue Lions skip I'm really digging them.
in general the setup/map for getting the band back together was cool.

punished Dimitri is a riot, seems like it's gonna be a fun ride.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
How long is it taking you guys to complete your second or later playthroughs?
I'm trying to skip stuff I've already seen but it feels like It'll still take a while. Trying to hopefully finish all of them before Astral Chain is out.

Concreto

Oct 27, 2017
Just got Manuela x Cyril B supports and Manuela's VA really shone there. The voices are really exceptional in this game. Does anyone know if they are in the union? (Very random question lol).

And I wish I could buy things like tomato and the more commom fishes :(. Supplies for dinner are always running low in the ng+ and fishing/farming is boooring (fishing more so).

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
How long is it taking you guys to complete your second or later playthroughs?
I'm trying to skip stuff I've already seen but it feels like It'll still take a while. Trying to hopefully finish all of them before Astral Chain is out.
A lot less time. I still have animations on, but I skip cutscenes and supports I've watched. I also know what to do with my 10 activity points.
Just got Manuela x Cyril B supports and Manuela's VA really shone there. The voices are really exceptional in this game. Does anyone know if they are in the union? (Very random question lol).

And I wish I could buy things like tomato and the more commom fishes :(. Supplies for dinner are always running low in the ng+ and fishing/farming is boooring (fishing more so).
When I run out of ingredients for meals, I give my students gifts.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I don't remember that lol.

I know he talks a lot about his unforgivable killings and his hands being stained with blood though.

Anyway he definitely had his issues for a time but he's worked through them and is ready to lead Fodlan into a peaceful era. We forgive you King.

It's a very small, minor comment. I honestly do not remember where it was, but I remember it distinctly. That said, yes, I love that we got our big naive boy scout back.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
It's a very small, minor comment. I honestly do not remember where it was, but I remember it distinctly. That said, yes, I love that we got our big naive boy scout back.
I just checked the supports, he mentions he slaughtered generals and officials, nothing about women and children at all

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ingrid we're in a war now is not the time

ECWV1bpU4AUSWxI

"Times are hard" yeah I know we're in a war
"My favorite food truck went out of business and I've lost the will to live" what

I love that Felix came to back her up, for some reason.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The real answer is that Bernie has to be accessible to the player before the 2nd floor opens up.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Wow, I loved the Lindhart/Leonie paralouge! I used up ALL my pulses and just barely took out the final boss. The layout and gimmicks were great, perfect level of difficulty.