• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
So in my first real battle two people lost their HP. Now they're not on the roster anymore. So they're just gone forever, right? Do they ever get replaced? Are there negative effects for losing them? The game didn't seem to make a big deal about them just disappearing from the game lol

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ingrid we're in a war now is not the time

ECWV1bpU4AUSWxI

"Times are hard" yeah I know we're in a war
"My favorite food truck went out of business and I've lost the will to live" what

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So in my first real battle two people lost their HP. Now they're not on the roster anymore. So they're just gone forever, right? Do they ever get replaced? Are there negative effects for losing them? The game didn't seem to make a big deal about them just disappearing from the game lol
If you're playing Classic mode, characters that run out of HP are gone forever if you finish the battle without using Divine Pulse to undo what happened.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can recruit from other houses to replace them.

You miss out on paralogues involving those characters. Paralogues delve more into the history of the characters and the world.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Play in casual mode then, so you dont have to deal with that

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
After 98 hours I beat the game for the first time last night, Golden Deer route. I was pretty satisfied with the ending, especially after hearing from my friend and on the internet that the endings are satisfying (he only completed Edelgard's route, though.)

I thought I was finished with the game, but man today I've been getting urges to start a new run. But I just can't imagine going through part 1 again, even without heavily exploring the monastery every chance I get.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the personal drama of BL and going more in depth into the war is what makes BL better than GD for me. The war in GD is taken so lightly by most of the characters, with multiple scenes of them just goofing off before and after major battles, and the last couple of chapters feel tacked on and half assed. It gives more lore sure, but BL plays out as a way more satisfying story.

The GD final chapter especially basically comes out of nowhere and has no emotional impact at all, compared to the BL one which is a great way to bring Dimitri/Edelgard' story full circle and carries way more emotional weight
the last cutscene in BL is so good and satisfying closure for Dimitri

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
tbh i would have used crimson flower spoilers that scene where the beagles are like "wow i can't believe rhea could turn into such a frightening monster she must be evil" as the racism from tellius section.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait until my arm heals some more so I can play again.. lol

I have a physical labour job usuing my arm stocking shelves so the healing's been slow ;w; .
Also I spoiled myself a little, and am very pleased about some of the support endings!

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
I finished my second route (BE-E) a few days ago. I don't think it's quite as good as BL but I still had a great time. I really want to start GD but I'm going to wait until the costume/quest DLC drops so I won't get too burnt out. It's unrealistic, but I hope IS will remove the gender-locking for classes and maybe add some new master classes (something else for sword users and a magic flying class). I'm also hoping for an update to be able to wear class costumes in the monastary.

Anyway, this is probably going to be my favourite game of 2019. It may be easy (I like easy games!) but the gameplay is so good!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
tbh i would have used crimson flower spoilers that scene where the beagles are like "wow i can't believe rhea could turn into such a frightening monster she must be evil" as the racism from tellius section.
I don't know what happened in the Tellius games but fearing ...
Big fucking dragons is 100% not comparable to fearing humans with a different skin color.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Speaking of best weapons from paralogues, what's your experience?

So far I mostly really overuse Lorenz' Tyrsus (or whatever it's called) and the crazy bow from the Leonie x Linhardt paralogue.

I occasionally use one of the lances (Ingrid or Sylvain's paralogues), and I just took Thunderbrand off of Catherine and gave it to Felix, lol.
I gave Seteth the lance from his own paralogue to spear horses.
He's not quite the murder machine this time in Golden Deer as he was in Blue Lions, but on this run everyone is a Wyvern Rider (40% of my team) that wields axes, so he's not so unique anymore. But I don't need his lance on someone else either, so he keeps it for now.

Other than that, there's a chest in the southeast of the map in chapter 13, where you reunite with your gang after thing happens, which has a legendary axe that wrecks armored units. That one I honestly now used extremely often both in Blue Lions and Golden Deer.

Note to self for future playthroughs though: Make someone a thief so you don't have to keep carrying 15x Chest Keys around everywhere.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what happened in the Tellius games but fearing ...
Big fucking dragons is 100% not comparable to fearing humans with a different skin color.

Tellius games are literally all about Fantasy Racism Against Fantasy Half-Human, Half-Beasts Hybrids, who can go full Beast Mode in combat.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Speaking of best weapons from paralogues, what's your experience?

So far I mostly really overuse Lorenz' Tyrsus (or whatever it's called) and the crazy bow from the Leonie x Linhardt paralogue.

I occasionally use one of the lances (Ingrid or Sylvain's paralogues), and I just took Thunderbrand off of Catherine and gave it to Felix, lol.
I gave Seteth the lance from his own paralogue to spear horses.
He's not quite the murder machine this time in Golden Deer as he was in Blue Lions, but on this run everyone is a Wyvern Rider (40% of my team) that wields axes, so he's not so unique anymore. But I don't need his lance on someone else either, so he keeps it for now.

Other than that, there's a chest in the southeast of the map in chapter 13, where you reunite with your gang after thing happens, which has a legendary axe that wrecks armored units. That one I honestly now used extremely often both in Blue Lions and Golden Deer.

Note to self for future playthroughs though: Make someone a thief so you don't have to keep carrying 15x Chest Keys around everywhere.
The good thing about Ashe is that his personal skill is Lockpick

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Tellius games are literally all about Fantasy Racism Against Fantasy Half-Human, Half-Beasts Hybrids, who can go full Beast Mode in combat.
Hugh. I think I'm gonna puke. That's one of the main tenants of real life racism, savage "beastly" people and shit.

Fuck.

I don't doubt they try to condemn racism but man, that just feels wrong.

Edit:
I think it's the metaphor behind it, which I'm surprised went over your head.
I get it, and find it extremely dubious.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, I guess I was spoiled coming from Blue Lions, never bothered making someone a thief on Golden Deer, and the price was missing a bunch of chests in some paralogues...
To be honest on my second playthrough I've opened like two chests. I find going out of my way to get them kind of tedious and it generally doesn't add much to the gameplay except making everything take longer. There are some nice rewards, but the game is easy enough I'd rather just skip them in exchange for the battles being a bit less boring.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would make sense had Rhea not been an evil controlling humanity. It also gets messy consideing that dragons in FE do turn into mindless monsters if allowed to live long enough unless they store their power within a dragon stone.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Just finished my Black Eagle Crimson Flower run after 95 hours. I had an amazing time with the game, it had great gameplay, music, and the world building, stories and themes are super interesting, especially compared to Fates. My main problem is the presentation. The game, except the character models, looks like butt. Its a real shame, and I really hope that they get rid of those ugly 2d warped backgrounds in the future. The game on Hard was also a bit too easy though the last maps certainly gave me a challenge (this is my 4th FE, 6 if you count Fates for 3).

The Black Eagle route also had some pacing issues. It only having 18 chapters compared to 22 for the others was rather disappointing, especially since some pretty important loose ends are left to be resolved in the epilogue. The lack of cut scenes and cinematics was also rather disappointing as some moments were really begging for it, such as chapter 17. With that said, I loved the story itself and the themes the route was exploring. Edelgard is such an interesting Lord and character, certainly my favourite from the Fire Emblem games I have played (started with Awakening). The cost of war for true social change, the profound ironies of Byleth fighting against the Church , the connection between Edelgard and Dimitri etc. Amazing stuff, just wish it was a bit better told overall.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Now that I'm playing as female Byleth, I think I prefer her. I mean I'm not saying the outfit's amazing, but I do like that her stupidly large professor coat isn't quite as stupidly large as male Byleth's. Also...

It kinda feels more fitting. I like the idea of the story being centered around the choices made by strong women. Rhea's decision to form the church, Edelgard's quest to destroy it, and Byleth's reaction to these events. I've only just started the Black Eagle route, and although I'm still not Team Edelgard yet, from what I've heard I do kinda like the twisted idea of the baby Rhea saved and put all her hopes into coming back to haunt her, destroying her and everything she built lol.
IA! Now I've only played female Byleth since I prefer playing my own gender when given a choice, but storywise she feels quite fitting since..
Rhea wanted Byleth to be a new vessel for her dead mother.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
there be massive story spoilers for like all routes here
That would make sense had Rhea not been an evil controlling humanity. It also gets messy consideing that dragons in FE do turn into mindless monsters if allowed to live long enough unless they store their power within a dragon stone.

a lot of folks keep saying that rhea is controlling humanity, but that doesn't really seem to be the case? like, the game talks about edelgard being the first imperial heir to attend the academy in generations, so it seems like rhea has basically no power in the empire, and like i guess the kingdom is very theocratic, but the alliance seems to not care all that much about the church (with the eastern church being basically nothing)... hell, neither Claude nor Shamir nor Petra, who have all spent most of their lives beyond its borders, indicate that Fodlan, the only place in the world that Rhea influences, is really all that different from the rest of the world.

Jan 10, 2018
Just finished the game and overall I really liked it. There were some great battles and memorable interactions with characters and the professor stuff became addicting rather fast. I also liked how everyone on the battlefield felt like someone you cared for.

I do wish the game would've been about 5 chapters shorter though because it was really dragging at the end. Such a lengthy campaign is not really needed when there's so many side missions and two more playthroughs to tackle.

I was also not a big fan of the choice of art style. I feel like the heavily stylized anime characters were at odds with the realistic looking and somewhat drab environments. I would've much prefered if they went with the anime look with more colorful and lively environments.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Say, does Lysithia ever get meteor? Dorothea had it in my Black Eagle playthrough and I miss it.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the last cutscene in BL is so good and satisfying closure for Dimitri

I loved everything with the dagger and the way it played out.

In the end he sat aside his need for revenge and tried to save her... but she'd come too far to ever back down. He's a good man who was just thrust into a world of suffering he never asked for. He deserves a happy ending y'all. ;_;

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It is especially weird when you notice that
a ton of the mages you fight against in the Empire are mostly women.

But to be fair to Dorothea, in terms of in game combat and pointed out through her supports, Lysithea is basically a mage in her own tier of broken. Even really strong mages like Hubert aren't on the same level as her, especially once she becomes a gremory.

I can concur:

Hubert was all but replaced by Lysithea before I even decided to go Church. His one advantage is that he has a long distance attack while Lysithea needs to get fairly close. Which isn't the best since Lysithea is frail. Linhardt managed to hold on since he's the only one next to Lysithea to learn Warp and he's a great healer/attack mage on his own right. His biggest issue is that he can't be a pure mage at Master, so he's destined to be left behind by Lysithea and Mercedes.

Dorothea isn't the best mage by any means, but she learns Meteor and Thoron. She's also my Dancer and she heals with Physic. She's basically my Jack-of-Trades mage.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

a lot of folks keep saying that rhea is controlling humanity, but that doesn't really seem to be the case? like, the game talks about edelgard being the first imperial heir to attend the academy in generations, so it seems like rhea has basically no power in the empire, and like i guess the kingdom is very theocratic, but the alliance seems to not care all that much about the church (with the eastern church being basically nothing)... hell, neither Claude nor Shamir nor Petra, who have all spent most of their lives beyond its borders, indicate that Fodlan, the only place in the world that Rhea influences, is really all that different from the rest of the world.
Fodlan is a continent where Rhea has her own private army, the ability to execute anyone whom she deems as an enemy of the church (even if they're innocent like Lonato's son), heresy is a crime, and has a system set up so that most nobles (the ones with the power to oppose her thanks to crests) are sent to an academy that trains them into child soldiers while also drilling into their heads how opposing the church makes your life forfeit.

As for whether or not she's been holding humanity back, just look at what the Agarthians managed to achieve. Why exactly haven;t the humans of Fodlan managed to achieve anything similar?

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fodlan is a continent where Rhea has her own private army, the ability to execute anyone whom she deems as an enemy of the church (even if they're innocent like Lonato's son), heresy is a crime, and has a system set up so that most nobles (the ones with the power to oppose her thanks to crests) are sent to an academy that trains them into child soldiers while also drilling into their heads how opposing the church makes your life forfeit.

As for whether or not she's been holding humanity back, just look at what the Agarthians managed to achieve. Why exactly haven;t the humans of Fodlan managed to achieve anything similar?
Wasnt this also a plot point in Attack on Titan as well?

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Ingrid we're in a war now is not the time

ECWV1bpU4AUSWxI

"Times are hard" yeah I know we're in a war
"My favorite food truck went out of business and I've lost the will to live" what

Can't be a knight on an empty stomach, everyone knows this.

Say, does Lysithia ever get meteor? Dorothea had it in my Black Eagle playthrough and I miss it.

Nope, only Dorothea and Hanneman learn it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Honest question, what's the different between the Church and Golden Deer? People make it sounds like they're basically the same, except no Claude.
I haven't finished Golden Deer yet, but from what I do know:

The Church route's central conflict is directly with Edelgard, to the point that most of the Kingdom and Alliance forces are completely set aside. You only encounter a couple of BL and GD characters post timeskip. You don't even fight at Gronder Field. That battle happens separate from the Church force's activities. After Edelgard is defeated, you go on to fight Those Who Slither, and then Rhea drops Lore Bombs specifically about Byleth toward the end of the game just before the final battle.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt they try to condemn racism but man, that just feels wrong.

They dont. Like there are 2 characters that realized that everything they were told about each other race was just shit old racist people told them and it wasnt true at all. Oh and yeah, they are actually racist towards each other, it was not a one sided thing.

Then there is the second game where it turns out any half beroc (human)/ half laguz (shapeshifter) gets cast aside by both societies.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Except Rhea is not evil, at least no more than Edelgard. She isn't even controlling humanity. She's literally only indirectly controlling one continent.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

I can agree that "controlling" is too strong of a word. "Manipulating" is definitely accurate though.

They dont. Like there are 2 characters that realized that everything they were told about each other race was just shit old racist people told them and it wasnt true at all. Oh and yeah, they are actually racist towards each other, it was not a one sided thing.

Then there is the second game where it turns out any half beroc (human)/ half laguz (shapeshifter) gets cast aside by both societies.
Err. Ok. Old games are old (and old me probably wouldn't have caught it anyway).

Thanks for the clarification!

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Marianne's Paralogue was scary.
How do these guys even get separated like that.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Rhea controlling humanity is really just what Edelgard thinks that people keep repeating because most play Edelgard's route first. When in fact, Rhea and the Church are very hands-off outside of people who directly attacks them. Even the whole 'controlling humans through the Crests' isn't really true since the Church promotes equality for all and have people attending school who are like Dorothea (no Crest and a Commoner). The tuition is just absurdly high.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hilda's casual racism surprised me during her support with Cyril.

I was like "nooo Hildawg not you :("

I never finished that support line so I hope she became less ignorant in the later supports.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I haven't finished Golden Deer yet, but from what I do know:

The Church route's central conflict is directly with Edelgard, to the point that most of the Kingdom and Alliance forces are completely set aside. You only encounter a couple of BL and GD characters post timeskip. You don't even fight at Gronder Field. That battle happens separate from the Church force's activities. After Edelgard is defeated, you go on to fight Those Who Slither, and then Rhea drops Lore Bombs specifically about Byleth toward the end of the game just before the final battle.

I think the same thing happens in Golden Deer.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rhea controlling humanity is really just what Edelgard thinks that people keep repeating because most play Edelgard's route first. When in fact, Rhea and the Church are very hands-off outside of people who directly attacks them. Even the whole 'controlling humans through the Crests' isn't really true since the Church promotes equality for all and have people attending school who are like Dorothea (no Crest and a Commoner). The tuition is just absurdly high.

But wouldnt higher tuitions benefit nobles more since they can afford the tuition? Despite the promote equality aspect, it is very difficult to muster up the money to attend the academy, and you even have staff talking about nobles getting their way in terms of housing arrangements as well.