• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I really think they needed to do something to meaningfully change up the gameplay flow at Garreg Mach in Part 2. It's just not well-designed, with huge chunks of dead time you basically just waste on whatever instead of the focused, purposeful forward momentum of each Explore session trying to recruit characters or build Byleth's skills high enough to do so in Part 1.

Yeah I'll probably always have the the opinion that they should've cut the monastery part 2, or at least minimized the number of months you spend there.

At least if they don't wanna give you new activities or objectives.

Like that chapter before you attack Garreg Mach could've been enough.

Just a smaller war camp or something, with a kitchen, blacksmith and so on. Something to remind you that there's a war going on. To me the monastery just feel empty an lifeless in the timeskip :/

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So in which route does Dimitri get the eye patch (don't spoil how)? Just wondering cuz I expected it to happen in BE-E, but nope.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Deer's timeskip outfits are the color of the rainbow. Truly the LGBTQ+ representatives we deserve.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I felt nothing as Jeralt died and I even liked the dude a ton.

I couldn't help comparing the scene to PoR, given the similarities between Byleth/Jeralt and Ike/Greil. It just emphasized how bad avatars are, since both fathers were present for a similar amount of time in the story (granted, Greil had more dialogue), yet I felt no connection between Byleth and Jeralt. PoR developed the relationship between Greil and the mercenaries so much more profoundly, while 3H kind of expects you'll feel bad just because "he's YOUR dad, you're Byleth", but doesn't really even try to make you care about their relationship or Jeralt in any meaningful way. I said it before, but it was sadder to me seeing the monastery residents mourning after the chapter than seeing Byleth supposedly heartbroken over his dad dying in his arms.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was not true in my experience (on Hard).
Happened to me on Normal. IIRC Gilbert started moving towards me way before that (to avenge Annette). But as soon as I attacked (or moved close to, don't remember) the final boss, every unit (humans, not golems) started moving towards us. Even Catherine, who was all the way to the right of the map (I never went anywhere near there because my whole army took the leftmost path).

Edit: and regarding the eyepatch: nice, I'm on that route now.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't help comparing the scene to PoR, given the similarities between Byleth/Jeralt and Ike/Greil. It just emphasized how bad avatars are, since both fathers were present for a similar amount of time in the story (granted, Greil had more dialogue), yet I felt no connection between Byleth and Jeralt. PoR developed the relationship between Greil and the mercenaries so much more profoundly, while 3H kind of expects you'll feel bad just because "he's YOUR dad, you're Byleth", but doesn't really even try to make you care about their relationship or Jeralt in any meaningful way. I said it before, but it was sadder to me seeing the monastery residents mourning after the chapter than seeing Byleth supposedly heartbroken over his dad dying in his arms.
Frankly, I knew that there was a 99% chance that Jeralt was going to die, because he's:
A. The dad of a Fire Emblem protagonist, and
B. So much about him seems directly inspired by Greil.

So the fact that Jeralt dies didn't come as a shock to me. I still felt for him though, and for Byleth.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, I've finally finished my first Golden Deer playthrough (bless you Lysithea and your Luna for actually finishing the job). It was fun! But I do have a couple of comments and questions.

The second part felt shorter than I expected. I mean, the time spent between missions was longer thanks to the ever increasing professor level, but I didn't expect the game to actually wrap up at chapter 22. I figured it'd atleast do the full 24 months - two years. And the wrap up was... really sudden? A short cutscene where you land the finishing blow and... that's it, we're done? It almost felt like I was watching a Godfrey Ho movie
godfrey2.gif

Still so many questions, but I suppose that's why there's multiple routes. I was originally planning on playing Blue Lions after finishing Golden Deer route, but I suspect it's largely similar when it comes to the story maps. I've also heard bits and pieces of there being a different fourth route and I suspect this one is only available through the Red House, is this correct? Depending on how different it is I might go with the reds instead.

Also, does one of the routes allow for all characters to live on, or do all of them end up with the main lords of other factions dying and the best you can do is just recruit as many sidecharacters as you can? The 14 characters I juggled with the small pool I had actually worked fine and I'll probably not go on a mass recruiting spree for my next playthrough, but it'd be nice if I could do atleast one playthrough where all my precious students stick around ;_;

Golden Deer cast was really fun with their supports, can't wait to get to know other house characters better too. I also followed the students' intended goals a lot, but I want to play around a little more and try to make some weird builds. Have mages gauntlet punch and let the axe warriors heal.
Apparently I can start a new game+ now. The game goes through all the extra things you can do, but does the difficulty increase too or is it just the same as a regular new game? I don't want to feel overpowered in my new playthrough.... but I don't wanna miss out on any new stuff either, blah!

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 17 BL

Why is the alliance fighting me? That doesn't make any tactical sense on their end. I didn't attack them at all. How fucking dumb are they?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I've finally finished my first Golden Deer playthrough (bless you Lysithea and your Luna for actually finishing the job). It was fun! But I do have a couple of comments and questions.

The second part felt shorter than I expected. I mean, the time spent between missions was longer thanks to the ever increasing professor level, but I didn't expect the game to actually wrap up at chapter 22. I figured it'd atleast do the full 24 months - two years. And the wrap up was... really sudden? A short cutscene where you land the finishing blow and... that's it, we're done? It almost felt like I was watching a Godfrey Ho movie
godfrey2.gif

Still so many questions, but I suppose that's why there's multiple routes. I was originally planning on playing Blue Lions after finishing Golden Deer route, but I suspect it's largely similar when it comes to the story maps. I've also heard bits and pieces of there being a different fourth route and I suspect this one is only available through the Red House, is this correct? Depending on how different it is I might go with the reds instead.

Also, does one of the routes allow for all characters to live on, or do all of them end up with the main lords of other factions dying and the best you can do is just recruit as many sidecharacters as you can? The 14 characters I juggled with the small pool I had actually worked fine and I'll probably not go on a mass recruiting spree for my next playthrough, but it'd be nice if I could do atleast one playthrough where all my precious students stick around ;_;

Golden Deer cast was really fun with their supports, can't wait to get to know other house characters better too. I also followed the students' intended goals a lot, but I want to play around a little more and try to make some weird builds. Have mages gauntlet punch and let the axe warriors heal.
Apparently I can start a new game+ now. The game goes through all the extra things you can do, but does the difficulty increase too or is it just the same as a regular new game? I don't want to feel overpowered in my new playthrough.... but I don't wanna miss out on any new stuff either, blah!
NG+ doesn'yt increase the difficulty (though if you played on normal you can move up to hard). It's primary function s making things aster and easier so you can see the other routes quickly.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 17 BL

Why is the alliance fighting me? That doesn't make any tactical sense on their end. I didn't attack them at all. How fucking dumb are they?
There is a reason for that

BL and GD both attack each other in their stories because Edelgard killed the envoys the BLs sent to GD. So now you're getting attacked for "invading territory" since Edelgard tricked you both.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Up to the last couple of chapters for BL. I was enjoying the game a lot, and am definitely planning on going through it again in another route, but in the last chapter or two I kinda started feeling like I was ready for the game to be done--the monastery parts have kind of started to drag on a bit, and the non-story battles aren't really engaging enough to make me want to pass the time that way, although based on my first attempt at the penultimate chapter I might need to grind a little bit more. Haven't decided if I'll need to take a break/palate cleanser before diving back into GD yet, but we'll see when it's done. Got over 100 hours out of the game on my first playthrough, though, which is pretty solid--a substantial part of that was from support conversations and fishing, but still, can't complain, I certainly got my money's worth.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Is anyone else bugged by the Dorothea/Ingrid supports? The C support is really fun, they have a paralouge together, but then...

Their B support was them yelling at each other and that's... it. Like, it felt super bizarre that was the end of it, and I can't imagine they get another conversation down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason for that

BL and GD both attack each other in their stories because Edelgard killed the envoys the BLs sent to GD. So now you're getting attacked for "invading territory" since Edelgard tricked you both.

Then they should have changed
Claude's voice line at the start of the fight. He says that he's going to wait to see how it plays out, and then after I do nothing to them, he says, welp, guess I better go after them.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Flayn is a decent dancer. If you make Marianne a dancer, you'll need another healer.
Flayn's basically ideal as a dancer/support. Better to keep Marianne as a dedicated healer, which Flayn struggles more at because of a lack of Physic.
Flayn then! Thanks yall

So you're just going to let Dorothea die!?

(Unless you never fight her in that run if she isn't recruited?)
I used her in my two previous playthroughs!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Then they should have changed
Claude's voice line at the start of the fight. He says that he's going to wait to see how it plays out, and then after I do nothing to them, he says, welp, guess I better go after them.
Yeah, the dialogue is weird in that scene. Even in GD, Dimitri shouts about killing them all, despite the Alliance doing nothing to provoke him. I get that it's supposed to reference the 3 way battle in part 1 but the game has to go out of it's way to justify why it's not just Everyone vs Edelgard.

At least you can spare Claude & co

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
NG+ doesn'yt increase the difficulty (though if you played on normal you can move up to hard). It's primary function s making things aster and easier so you can see the other routes quickly.
Looking it up, seems I can decline stuff like keeping previous items that I feel would make it too easy, but it allows for more renown and new ways of experimenting with class builds, which sounds fun. Think I'll NG+ it then

Hm, is there a list of what character learns what magic spell when it comes to reason/faith? Actually when it comes to all combat arts really? I could use it to plan my silly builds, plus I have a suspicion that one of these non-magic users secretly have the potential for something awesome like meteor.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
this version of byleth where they just happen to have unconvincing face is amazing

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking it up, seems I can decline stuff like keeping previous items that I feel would make it too easy, but it allows for more renown and new ways of experimenting with class builds, which sounds fun. Think I'll NG+ it then

Hm, is there a list of what character learns what magic spell when it comes to reason/faith? Actually when it comes to all combat arts really? I could use it to plan my silly builds, plus I have a suspicion that one of these non-magic users secretly have the potential for something awesome like meteor.
Character spell list

Character combat art list

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else bugged by the Dorothea/Ingrid supports? The C support is really fun, they have a paralouge together, but then...

Their B support was them yelling at each other and that's... it. Like, it felt super bizarre that was the end of it, and I can't imagine they get another conversation down the line.

A-support was cut to secure that T for Teen rating ;)

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had a feeling Flayn was the ideal dancer. I didn't think too hard about it and instead just wanted to win the competition, so I chose Hilda. I tried Dancer Hilda once and switched her back to her axe-toting immediately. I thought of making Lorenz the dancer since that would have been hilarious and I wasn't sure of his potential at that point either, but I didn't think he would win (if that actually mattered). Flayn was just a 5-move Gremory by the end barely keeping up on the battlefield. If she was a dancer, she'd have 6-move (maybe more if I gave her shoes/March Ring) and she'd be the most valued soldier of my army. At least I made moderate use of Rescue.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I know Claude is a bow user but he's a beast. 30+ damage and a decent crit chance.
I guess putting him through Brigand to get Death Blow was worth it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean recruitment, I mean just joining your party automatically. A bunch of pre-promotes and Cyril did that in Silver Snow, so I'm wondering about other routes.
Which of those units will stay with you is dependent on the route. Crimson Flower basically cuts you off from all of the Church-aligned and pro-Rhea characters.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only recruited Petra and Bernie. Didn't want a giant army and I wanted a little heartbreak. :P
I didn't recruit anybody but church knights and faculty and my biggest heartbreak was Bernie. Just look at her face in Part II. That's the face of someone who doesn't want to be here.

I know Claude is a bow user but he's a beast. 30+ damage and a decent crit chance.
I guess putting him through Brigand to get Death Blow was worth it.
I was playing normal, but I felt archery was really good in this game. They get close counter and twice the range at the master class.

Speaking of Claude, I don't know why his talent is axes. The combat art he gets is damn near useless, and...

He gets a legendary sword with A-rank required.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
That's not an acceptable answer. The writers chose to lock important plot points to specific routes, and wrote accordingly. They could've just as easily found a way to reveal those details in all routes.

They chose not to because they wanted to reward multiple playthroughs, and I respect that, but I think they went way too hard. I did BL first and learned approximately nothing about Byleth, Rhea, Those Who Slither, etc. It was super disappointing.
I kind of agree with you there. I get why they did that but only playing one route will make you miss a ton of detail, up to some important history elements.