• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Wish the game saved my epilogue endings somewhere

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I've kinda just assumed that
Rhea will probably be the final boss on both routes. It will be a nice surprise if not, but yeah, everyone keeps talking about Rhea going crazy. I actually haven't finished either route yet though.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I just moved all my units through the building on the left and since the reinforcements come one at a time, having someone to lock down the door is usually good enough. Edelgard won't attack you (aside from her every-2-turns long-range attack) unless you go directly for her, so save her for last once you've cleared the room
Yeah, I made the mistake of splitting my team because I wanted to get rid of TWSITD mages. Oh well, gonna keep moving to see what happens

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Tbf, Lys is a freaking nuke and comparing any other mage to her is unfair.

Mercedes is one of the best healers in the game.

Linhardt is great too since he can heal, self heal if he's inactive, and the only one next to Hubert who can become a Dark Mage. He's basically the jack-of-trades mage.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
"Friends...That word somehow doesn't seem adequate. Besides we've been friends for such a long time, you and I. By now, we're so much more than that, at least in my mind." She even brought out the nickname! Honestly this was pretty cute.

I also feel like all the A supports with Byleth are at least somewhat romantic, or hint at it. I've seen Dorothea, Bernadetta, Petra, Mercedes, and Marianne's so far.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Early in the last thread It seemed like Flayne was getting a lot of flack in terms of viability as a healer because she didn't get psychic, but in some of the later Golden Deer maps Fortify has been a bigger life saver than psychic ever was.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Early in the last thread It seemed like Flayne was getting a lot of flack in terms of viability as a healer because she didn't get psychic, but in some of the later Golden Deer maps Fortify has been a bigger life saver than psychic ever was.

The problem is that Mercedes learns both Fortify and Psychic. I mostly used Flayne on an extra unit on my Avatar since she will them if they get hurt bad enough.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
One question with minimal spoilers. When I finish the game, do I get to choose another class on the first play through? Or do I have to start a new game and see the whole story with another class?

spoiler tag the answer

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Linhardt has had somewhat bad speed in both my playthroughs in which I had him.
If I left him in enemy range he always got doubled.

Most of the mages have that issue, at least on my team. I think the only exception on my team is maybe Lysithea, which doesn't matter since anyone in the game can one-shot her outside of other mages. Which is why you only send him in if you know you can wipe the area or protect him. That and he's one of the few units who learns Warp.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that Mercedes learns both Fortify and Psychic. I mostly used Flayne on an extra unit on my Avatar since she will them if they get hurt bad enough.

I'd never used Mercedes at all on either of my playthroughs. It's unfortunate Mercedes get's both. Such a boring character to be the objective best healer.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
In the BE and BL routes, Claude looks like an S7 Littlefinger-tier schemer. It's funny listening to Lorenz talk shit about him post-time skip.

Dec 15, 2017
Man, this is easily my favorite game since Breath of the Wild. Not necessarily because of the strategy combat (which is awesome), but because the characters are so fleshed out, well written and acted.

I've spent nearly 50 hours in the game and am nearly finished with my run with the Blue Lions, and I've grown so attached to everyone in my house (and the few others that I recruited) that I seriously CAN'T WAIT to play through with another house.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the game wanted to put a lot of emotional weight behind
the professor killing Edelgard with her own hands. But this felt like very false emotional weight. I played Edelgard's route first, so there was something I guess for me, but If I had done golden deer first I would have just been like "I barely know this woman, who cares".

Ultimately, I feel like its a mistake in the narrative design of this game that you don't and, as far as I can tell, can't build supports with the other houses unrecruitable characters.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Story sure is moving fast now.

I'm super glad I didn't have to kill Claude. I was worried he was gonna pull some backstabby bullshit at the last minute, so I was pretty surprised when he just handed the Alliance over to the Kingdom and said peace out lol. Was rather disappointed that he didn't join up with us considering I just saved his ass though. This has me curious about how many of the 3 lords survive each route, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see for myself since I'd rather not be spoiled on it.

So... 20 years ago, a deadly disease ravages the Kingdom, and this blatantly evil witch Cornelia steps in just in time to "save" everyone, conveniently earning herself a trusted place by the king's side... Mhmm, nothing sketchy here. I'm assuming this disease is also how Dimitri lost his mother, allowing Patricia, Edelgard's mother, to swoop in and marry Lambert. I feel like I'm still missing a big part of the picture, but at the moment it feels like Edelgard's entire family has been conspiring to fuck over Dimitri's life since before he was born and she just decided to continue the tradition. Enough with this evil ass empire.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I warped my newly-minted Warrior Edelgard right into a trap, where she was surrounded by five heavy armor units, and she fucked them up one by one. What a legend.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys - I'm about 5 hours into the game. This may be a stupid question, but is it normal to be losing 2-3 squad members during every battle? Is it like chess where I need to protect my queen and king but otherwise plenty of people are expendable? I ask bc I'm losing those amounts and it feels unavoidable but also bc of permadeath I felt maybe there's just something I'm missing.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
wait, the only what next to Hubert who can become a Dark Mage?

Dark Mage and Dark Bishop are both male exclusive, and Hubert and Linhardt are the only two 'pure' male mages in the entire game outside of Hanneman. If you want another, hope you enjoy training the physical male fighters in Reason.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hey guys - I'm about 5 hours into the game. This may be a stupid question, but is it normal to be losing 2-3 squad members during every battle? Is it like chess where I need to protect my queen and king but otherwise plenty of people are expendable? I ask bc I'm losing those amounts and it feels unavoidable but also bc of permadeath I felt maybe there's just something I'm missing.
The ideal scenario is to make sure that nobody dies. And based on my experience, it's entirely possible (Divine Pulse makes this even easier, even at harder difficulties).

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Mage and Dark Bishop are both male exclusive, and Hubert and Linhardt are the only two 'pure' male mages in the entire game outside of Hanneman. If you want another, hope you enjoy training the physical male fighters in Reason.

there's plenty of other Males that can make decent mages. Sylvain comes to mind who's "main" class I'd even say is Dark Knight, so you can go Dark Mage on the way.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

No. If you were playing in Classic mode, like in older Fire Emblem games, if you lose someone in battle, they are permanently dead. Make use the terrain benefits and position your units to take advantage of ranged attacks.

Nov 1, 2017
Going to say unless they're tossing out red herrings that...
Edelgard is totally the Flame Emperor, would make sense since she wants to tear down the old system.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
there's plenty of other Males that can make decent mages. Sylvain comes to mind who's "main" class I'd even say is Dark Knight, so you can go Dark Mage on the way.

Not seeing it honestly. My Sylvain's magic stats are horrible. Sylvain, at least mines, leans more towards Great Knight.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Gave in and restarted a few days ago, 1st time I only recruited 3 students before it cut off. Back up to Chapter 9 and have 7 so far, with another 3 on B rank support..so only a matter of time.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't recommend doing Golden Deer first. Claude's story feels somewhat disconnected from Edelgard and Dimitri.

GD Chapter 11 spoilers:

Yeah I was thinking initially that what route you choose doesn't matter but I feel like doing GD totally ruins that reveal for you in other routes where it's a lot more personal.

People complain about BE E not having a cutscene with it but it still had a far better reveal then here where it's like..."oh okay that happened."

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the game wanted to put a lot of emotional weight behind
the professor killing Edelgard with her own hands. But this felt like very false emotional weight. I played Edelgard's route first, so there was something I guess for me, but If I had done golden deer first I would have just been like "I barely know this woman, who cares".

Ultimately, I feel like its a mistake in the narrative design of this game that you don't and, as far as I can tell, can't build supports with the other houses unrecruitable characters.
I played GD first, and it still felt bad. This was somebody who, while not specifically my student, I interacted with various times throughout the game and whose motivations I could understand on some level. I do think they could have done more with Edelgard trying to "poach" you if you don't play her route. Not in a malicious way, just trying to get to know you more. As it stands, it definitely came off as if she cared way more about me than I could have cared about her.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I think the most common way people play the game is to avoid any character death at all. Obviously, if you're not playing with permadeath it's less of an issue, but it's totally possible to get through every map with no one being lost.

The trick is generally to plop your 'tanks' on the edge of the enemy danger tiles to bring out your foe and then pick them off with your squishier ranged units. As you play you'll learn who can and cannot take hits and adjust your formations and teams accordingly.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
My first playthrough I only recruited one person. Why'd you restart?

Mix of a bad habit of restarting when I start to understand a new game's mechanics and wanting to do as much on 1 playthrough as possible because I'm not sure when I'll get back to it for a second one. Byleth was also all over the place with his skills because I thought those were more important than support levels for recruiting, he was level 25 and had no luck trying to give him an advanced job because he had nothing over B.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Lorenz exists and is a great Dark Mage/Dark Bishop

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how ore costs w/ forging & durability work? Specifically—forging an item that's at 1/40 durability will bring it up to 40/40 in addition to increasing its quality. Will the forge cost more ore to accommodate the repair, or is the repair included in the forge cost? should I be riding my weapons down to near-breaking before forging them?

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Not seeing it honestly. My Sylvain's magic stats are horrible. Sylvain, at least mines, leans more towards Great Knight.

Obviously RNG is a factor, but Sylvain's budding talent is Black Magic +20 avo, which makes him a great dodge tank as Dark Knight with good mobility and versatility in dealing both physical damage and magic damage. His unique ability (+2 damage / defense when adjacent to women) is also one of the better ones, so you can pair him up with another cavalry/flying unit (synergizes well with Leonie's unique ability, also like to pair with Ingrid for character reasons) and have them wrecking shit.

As for dark mage / dark bishop, honestly I haven't bothered with that class without Hubert because black magic users benefit from Black Tomefaire and double uses of all black magic spells far more. Absolutely bizarre that that class is gender locked -- Lysithea is a nuke bomb in any class, but I can't see any reason why she should be locked out of it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Mix of a bad habit of restarting when I start to understand a new game's mechanics and wanting to do as much on 1 playthrough as possible because I'm not sure when I'll get back to it for a second one. Byleth was also all over the place with his skills because I thought those were more important than support levels for recruiting, he was level 25 and had no luck trying to give him an advanced job because he had nothing over B.
very soft mechanical spoiler about the last part of your post, for future reference:
there are mechanics in place that make it so Byleth does not need to get an advanced job/does not really benefit from it, so don't stress getting them to a place where they can qualify for one in the future

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I played GD first, and it still felt bad. This was somebody who, while not specifically my student, I interacted with various times throughout the game and whose motivations I could understand on some level. I do think they could have done more with Edelgard trying to "poach" you if you don't play her route. Not in a malicious way, just trying to get to know you more. As it stands, it definitely came off as if she cared way more about me than I could have cared about her.

That might be my real problem actually, not the emotional weight put on the scene by the game, but the weight Edelgard puts on it. Like I was a significant person in her life.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Ummmm Lysithea looks awesome as a Mortal Savant??? I might just make her a swordswoman this playthrough?