• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Question about non-GD routes that won't be a spoiler to anyone who's finished GD

Do any of the other routes go into more detail about why those who slither in the dark have fucking predator missiles

I don't think any go into the details of how/why, but they do show up in other routes too

not in BL, but they do show up in BE-Church

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of Annette.
She and Lorenz are not stacking up for me.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing on hard this whole time, but the second to last chapter for BE-E is making me think about dropping down to normal. Some of the long range attacks are brutal.

Oct 25, 2017
So I think "No Battalions" on Hard/Classic might actually be a good step up from no-restrictions. You're giving up a lot of good stats (like, 3~6 levels worth of stats, sometimes), and like four busted skills, while also make monsters more reliant on combat arts.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Question about non-GD routes that won't be a spoiler to anyone who's finished GD

Do any of the other routes go into more detail about why those who slither in the dark have fucking predator missiles
Lol nope.
I played BE E and the missiles kind of just appear. Arundel nukes a city with it and Hubert just says it's new technology.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So I think "No Battalions" on Hard/Classic might actually be a good step up from no-restrictions. You're giving up a lot of good stats (like, 3~6 levels worth of stats, sometimes), and like four busted skills, while also make monsters more reliant on combat arts.
You're going to have a very, very bad time with final bosses, though.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck with some of the final chapters.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about BE E route and the dancer class

I heard that flayn leaves the party after the time skip. If I make her my dancer does that mean I basically lose access to the dancer class for the rest of the game?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
One inconsequential thing I am curious about on the Silver Snow route:

I do wonder what Claude's final fate ended up being. Of the three Lords, he's the only one whose status is up in the air, as he's just stated to have disappeared after the battle at Gronder Field and is never heard from again.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
One inconsequential thing I am curious about on the Silver Snow route:

I do wonder what Claude's final fate ended up being. Of the three Lords, he's the only one whose status is up in the air, as he's just stated to have disappeared after the battle at Gronder Field and is never heard from again.

Probably peaced the fuck out of Fodlan.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the GD route, also some BE-E spoilers

The ending was great, but man the last two chapters really felt out of place. Chapter 20 felt like the real ending, and this was more mopping things up. Like hello Nemesis! Gotta have a big final battle just because. Speaking of holy shit Lysithea was the real MVP of that, everyone else doing chip damage and then she wrecks him for a 61 damage Luna. Also pretty sure she killed like 8/10 of the Elites. Probably going to try to not use her for the next route for the sake of a little more challenge...

It's a shame that Claude just kind of became a "good dude" after the timeskip, but I enjoyed having an unapologetic good dude to team with to fight bad stuff. He became the real MVP for me in Chapter 20, still feeling compassion for Hubert and Edelgard in spite of everything. Speaking of, that entire segment made me really appreciate doing BE-E, knowing Edelgard's history and motivation made that scene much, much heavier. And that letter, :(. Definitely think that Claude's going to my least favorite of the lords but I still like him a lot.

I don't want to read anymore "Edelgard's ending is worse because Claude did the same thing" nonsense though, it's the Empire taking over Fodlan which allows him to gain his power and unify the continent. It was kind of rushed how it's like "oh yeah you're king now lol". At least Marianne was my queen but what the FUCK was that S-rank art holy shit hers was beyond terrible. I got Caspar/Hilda (hell yeah) and Claude/Petra, which was cool too.

On to Blue Lions!

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the GD route, also some BE-E spoilers

The ending was great, but man the last two chapters really felt out of place. Chapter 20 felt like the real ending, and this was more mopping things up. Like hello Nemesis! Gotta have a big final battle just because. Speaking of holy shit Lysithea was the real MVP of that, everyone else doing chip damage and then she wrecks him for a 61 damage Luna. Also pretty sure she killed like 8/10 of the Elites. Probably going to try to not use her for the next route for the sake of a little more challenge...

It's a shame that Claude just kind of became a "good dude" after the timeskip, but I enjoyed having an unapologetic good dude to team with to fight bad stuff. He became the real MVP for me in Chapter 20, still feeling compassion for Hubert and Edelgard in spite of everything. Speaking of, that entire segment made me really appreciate doing BE-E, knowing Edelgard's history and motivation made that scene much, much heavier. And that letter, :(. Definitely think that Claude's going to my least favorite of the lords but I still like him a lot.

I don't want to read anymore "Edelgard's ending is worse because Claude did the same thing" nonsense though, it's the Empire taking over Fodlan which allows him to gain his power and unify the continent. It was kind of rushed how it's like "oh yeah you're king now lol". At least Marianne was my queen but what the FUCK was that S-rank art holy shit hers was beyond terrible. I got Caspar/Hilda (hell yeah) and Claude/Petra, which was cool too.

On to Blue Lions!

All the S-rank arts are horrible tho

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I recruited pretty much every mage in the game and (having not started with her) haven't found a niche for her. I wanted to train her into a fortress knight since I didn't have one, but it's slow goings. I like her as a character, so hopefully she'll get more play in another route for me. She just isn't as strong as Lyth/Dorothea/Mercedes (and I turned Marianne into a knight).

Also, maybe it's just me, but Mercedes is stupid good on a level where there's a noticeable difficulty jump anytime I don't bring her onto a mission.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I recruited pretty much every mage in the game and (having not started with her) haven't found a niche for her. I wanted to train her into a fortress knight since I didn't have one, but it's slow goings. I like her as a character, so hopefully she'll get more play in another route for me. She just isn't as strong as Lyth/Dorothea/Mercedes (and I turned Marianne into a knight).

Also, maybe it's just me, but Mercedes is stupid good on a level where there's a noticeable difficulty jump anytime I don't bring her onto a mission.
Tbf, Lys is a freaking nuke and comparing any other mage to her is unfair.

Mercedes is one of the best healers in the game.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I want to make fanart but playing too much (maybe too much fishing game) gave me tendonitis or something in my arm. lol
It's been 2 weeks and I am in pain but I guess it was worth it. Not even more than a chapter into timeskip GD route yet..

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Breached into part 2, Blue Lions.

Dedue, my boy. What have they done to you!

KindheartedNervousCornsnake-size_restricted.gif

Managed to have Dimitri land the final hit in on Edelgard, but it does that annoying thing Fire Emblem does where "hey, you won the battle, but for story reasons you lose anyway." But I like the political developments in the time skip, and am loving the time-skip designs. Time to hop to it!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is this shit? I'm not feeling this Edelgard heel turn at all. I was expecting her to take charge during the time skip not right before it. It feels unearned and unjustified, at least in this branch of the story. You don't get to know Edelgard enough to suspect or even think this might have happened. Even knowing the generalities of what was going to happened this felt like a surprise in the worst way, total soap opera shit

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Lorenz is, I think, best as a hybrid. The end goal is Dark Knight--the best way there is either the Warlock path or the Dark Seal path, but either way you slap a lance on him and let him get up close a bit

Speaking of, on my BE run, I had all my characters specialize in basically one combat skill, only splashing into other stuff for class qualification. With few exceptions they basically all carried one weapon and used that same weapon in every single fight. In my GD run, I'm at least outfitting every character with two means of attacking and having them actually substantially hybridize across different skills, and I've been really pleased at how good it is. I feel like in most games I've played with this measure of flexibility, actually making your characters hybrids is a bit of a trap—specialized characters always blow hybrids out of the water, and the 'versatility' you get from having characters that can do more than one thing is usually not worth the straight-up tradeoff in skill.

In FETH, it feels like it's actually substantially better to have characters do multiple things. The skill costs starting from ~A through S are so steep that it seems like a focusing character will only get through them by the very end of the game, and the benefits you get for taking a skill to S are not really that meaningful. Alternatively, in the same amount of time, you could bring two skills to at least A, and having two weapon types per character actually makes a big difference and makes fights way more interesting. Hybridizing being more than viable also makes character building way more interesting, like you can actually play around with class paths and archetypes. It makes the prospect of future runs way cooler, too, since you can take actually take characters in different wacky directions

i'm very into it

it also feels like something that the GD are better for than the BE, maybe? like, Leonie, Raphael, Marianne, Lorenz, and Ignatz, at least, feel like they're actually made for hybridizing more than most BE students did

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Bernie's S-rank picture is adorable and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a suggestion for what to do with Manuela as a character?

She has silence and warp which are useful, but I'm struggling to find anything else for her to do. She isn't a great healer, and she doesn't have enough strength or magic for offense, that I've found. Maybe I am missing something, though.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Do all the crest weapons regenerate 5 durability if you rest, or just specifically the flame crest one?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Just wrapped golden deer. Amazing game. I'm dying to dive back in but first I'm going to do a spoilercast with two friends who have each finished one path each as well!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Not that I'd ever let someone die, but I think it'd be an interesting addition if they added post-death Support convos. If a character had a high support with someone else, you'd see them grieving in some way or another if the other character died. They might even lose the ability to gain support points for a month after.

I'm curious what the worst possible run of the game would be in general, since it seems like the cinematics are designed so that characters can be easily removed if they die, meaning there theoretically is a version of the game where the group conversations are just the leader and Byleth speaking to no one. Unless I'm totally wrong about how it all works.

Honestly post timeskip exploration just feels so fucking tedious lol.

I mainly just use it to get Support points and farm. It is nice seeing how every character gets unique dialogue after each mission, though. Unlike pre-skip they actually had to write 3-4 completely different scripts for every recruit-able character for those scenes, which is pretty impressive.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's Sylvain for? I had him and Dimitri running a similar track. Then he said he wanted to be a Great Knight but dedue has that locked down. I guess I should have run dedue as a brawler? Shrug. I just keep randomly classing Sylvain now. Weird that he has a story based holy relic that he tries to class away from

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm who would you guys recommend as a 10th unit for the Blue Lions that's NOT Lysithea? I was thinking Shamir as a 2nd Archer and to mix things up compared to my other playthroughs.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
What's Sylvain for? I had him and Dimitri running a similar track. Then he said he wanted to be a Great Knight but dedue has that locked down. I guess I should have run dedue as a brawler? Shrug. I just keep randomly classing Sylvain now. Weird that he has a story based holy relic that he tries to class away from

Sylvain can be a decent Dark Knight, though he was useless in my playthrough because his stat growths were abysmal.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Not that I'd ever let someone die, but I think it'd be an interesting addition if they added post-death Support convos. If a character had a high support with someone else, you'd see them grieving in some way or another if the other character died. They might even lose the ability to gain support points for a month after.

I'm curious what the worst possible run of the game would be in general, since it seems like the cinematics are designed so that characters can be easily removed if they die, meaning there theoretically is a version of the game where the group conversations are just the leader and Byleth speaking to no one. Unless I'm totally wrong about how it all works.
Most characters when they die just get injured and retreat to the monastery, unable to fight anymore, for exactly this reason. It's kind of lame, but it'd be an insane amount of extra writing to write around every possible combination of character deaths.

Sylvain was an absolutely brutal Dark Knight in my playthrough. He did tons of damage, was a solid tank, and was super versatile between magic and his weapons. I've also heard Paladin works as an endgame class if you want to do that.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
BL Final map is waaay harder than BE-C final map. I'm struggling!

I just moved all my units through the building on the left and since the reinforcements come one at a time, having someone to lock down the door is usually good enough. Edelgard won't attack you (aside from her every-2-turns long-range attack) unless you go directly for her, so save her for last once you've cleared the room

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
BuT sHe'S tOtAlLy NoT a ViLlAiN

Yeah even after playing BE-Church I already thought she was bad, but the BL ending... that was some fucked up shit

Blue Lion Edelgard is basically Black Eagel's Rhea. Which is funny when people craps on what Rhea have done in that route and in the past, when Edelgard is her parallel on the Blue Lion route where she's more nutty than normal.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf is this shit? I'm not feeling this Edelgard heel turn at all. I was expecting her to take charge during the time skip not right before it. It feels unearned and unjustified, at least in this branch of the story. You don't get to know Edelgard enough to suspect or even think this might have happened. Even knowing the generalities of what was going to happened this felt like a surprise in the worst way, total soap opera shit

I wouldn't recommend doing Golden Deer first. Claude's story feels somewhat disconnected from Edelgard and Dimitri.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, halfway through BE-E chapter 17, and haven't dropped the difficulty yet. I think I'll be okay, but this fight is going on and on, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Lion Edelgard is basically Black Eagel's Rhea. Which is funny when people craps on what Rhea have done in that route and in the past, when Edelgard is her parallel on the Blue Lion route where she's more nutty than normal.

Yeah I've always found comparing post-timeskip things VERY problematic. when comparing Rhea and Edelgard you can really only take things that happen pre-timeskip as canon, and none of the things that Edelgard "believes" count as facts.