• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Did anyone else not yet have the skill mastery necessary to move up to advanced classes at level 20? Wondering if I spread my lessons too thin or what. Even my best units aren't ready yet, sitting at B rank when they need to be at A.

Yeah, you should probably be focusing on the ones you need for advanced/master ranks, but also you can roll the dice on less than 100%. I've had characters succeed at like 39% and fail at 90% so... *shrug*

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone else not yet have the skill mastery necessary to move up to advanced classes at level 20? Wondering if I spread my lessons too thin or what. Even my best units aren't ready yet, sitting at B rank when they need to be at A.

Yeah a lot of my units were at B when I hit 20. But I managed to pass their certifications at B+.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I have massive gripes with locking plot relevant info or background info behind cross-house paralogues.
I missed out on the Mercedes + Caspar paralogue in my Blue Lions playthrough, which leads me to the following issue with the fight in Chapter 20 I just finished.

You fight the Death Knight in this, and while he has Caspar by his side, and recognizes going up against Mercedes in his dialogue, when he drops dead, that's it. No reveal, no answers, nothing.
I'm so pissed.
Jeritza also mentioned Mercedes absentmindedly once when back at school, and I feel robbed for not learning more.

At least I got a second Dark Seal to make Hannemann a Dark Bishop, but that's hardly a consolation at this point.

Absolute bullshit.

How does starting a second route work anyway? I'm still pre-time-skip on my first playthrough and I've been wondering whether for a second house I'd need to play through the entirety of the school part again. Can you unlock any features to make repeated playthroughs faster? I suppose I'd be way less throrough on a repeated playthrough, but still. The idea to play through the entirety of it again sounds a bit demotivating.

NG+ has some features that allow you to level up proficiency A LOT faster. You can also raise your professor level quicker to have more action points.
This means you can do more actions earlier and bring your units up to par faster, and overall tackle things with more resources - at the end of your second monastery life, you'll probably just have a billions meals with everyone instead of battling for XP and profiency.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
At what point do i get the advanced seals? Byleth hit lvl 20 last night ... yeah despite not using him much, he's still leaps above the others.

I completely forgot that the Flame Emperor is the one that sent those bandits in the prologue chapter. Edels plans would have gone so much smoother if Jeralt and Byleth werent in the village.

I still believe that this was a diversion.

First of all, she's with the others. Pretty risky if your plan builds on "not dying before the others".

Now, i don't know wether it was said by one of the house lords in that prologue, but we do know that the Knight of Seiros were deployed to deal with the bandits and recover the students.

Then, remember that of all higher members of the Knights, only Alois was at Garreg Mach at that time, and he was deployed to recover the lords. Gilbert, Catherine, Shamir were all on missions during that time.
With Alois being out, it leaves Rhea, Seteth, Flayn and the other teachers at the monastery.

We also know that the DK and Solon were at Garreg Mach at that time. And we've seen DK dealing with Manuela and at least Flayn without any problems.

That's why i think that this was all a plan on getting a possible hit on Rhea, and that Jeralt and Byleth dealing with the bandits destroyed the short window they would have for this hit, which was short to begin with.

I also recall her saying she wanted to retire/abdicate/something to that effect after everything is over. However I'm also fairly certain the ending doesn't say she does (I gave her the ring, and the ending implied...uh, we took vacations?) So either the ones who slither in the dark were never eradicated, or she/the writers forgot I guess...

Since a load of posts detailed that it is implied that Hubert has some faction taken out by shadow war/assassinations, i think it's still open who exactly is taken out. I would think that TWSITD aren't simply dealt by Hubert, and i think this ending implies that Hubert takes out Edelgard's uncle and his henchmen.

Maybe the BE Edelgard route is shorter because of the DLC. I fully think that the DLC story episode will handle the subject of TWSITD.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How does starting a second route work anyway? I'm still pre-time-skip on my first playthrough and I've been wondering whether for a second house I'd need to play through the entirety of the school part again. Can you unlock any features to make repeated playthroughs faster? I suppose I'd be way less throrough on a repeated playthrough, but still. The idea to play through the entirety of it again sounds a bit demotivating.

You start from the begining including tutorials and all. At the start of your first explore session you are told that you can buy skills, affinities, magistra level etc. with your reputations points that are left over which is cool, because you can get some nice skills at the begining if you leveled your characters the playthrough before that in certain ways. Started Golden Deer after finishing BE alternative route and Lysithea is already wrecking fools at level 2 with her skills.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

In addition to what Mendrox says, you also keep any battalions you've unlocked and they stay at the same level. All renown spent on the Saint statues carries over as well, which combined with buying a high Professor level right at the start makes training characters way faster. Basically it's the same, but you have a bunch of options to speed non-story progress along very quickly.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Btw. is it even possible to fully repair all 4 statues within one playthrough? I plan on doing all routes down the line, and i'm torn between saving up the renown for the NG+ or if i should go nuts on the statues.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Btw. is it even possible to fully repair all 4 statues within one playthrough? I plan on doing all routes down the line, and i'm torn between saving up the renown for the NG+ or if i should go nuts on the statues.

I only play on Hard, but if you get Renown for battles, you could grind them on Normal I suppose?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you should probably be focusing on the ones you need for advanced/master ranks, but also you can roll the dice on less than 100%. I've had characters succeed at like 39% and fail at 90% so... *shrug*
Yeah a lot of my units were at B when I hit 20. But I managed to pass their certifications at B+.

Ahhh, thanks so much for reminding me. I completely forgot you can do certifications early. I've only got one or two seals so far, but I'll cross my fingers and see if it works out.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have just reached A support with Lysithea.
Is she really going to die? I am starting to think that the ending won't be happy for everyone at all...
In the meantime I won the final battle of Chapter 18... 29 turns, 1 hour, wow

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to trying the online stuff..It seems kinda broken? Bunch of EXP and like 4 weapons for free.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I was really satisfied with the pairings I got with my Golden Deer route with one leaving me feeling relatively conflicted (see spoiler tag). I'm about a quarter of the way through Blue Lions now and I'm mostly enjoying it. New game plus really makes it much easier to recruit absolutely everyone (I got 5 or 6 my first playthrough) and while it trivializes a lot of grinding, being able to spend renown on things other than the passive statue upgrades is nice.
As a gay man I really did want this to be as clear and romantic as the Linhardt ending was, and while that wasn't what happened, I did enjoy the conclusion to their story for what it was. I think, if nothing else, the Alois S-Rank shows that men can have relationships that are open and emotional, and that it isn't wrong or any less "manly" to care for other men, even if those feelings are just platonic. In a way Alois is written in a way that breaks these stereotypes within the franchise. He's sentimental, he's afraid of ghosts, he deeply cares for the wellbeing of his friends and is kept awake at night thinking of the deaths he has caused as a knight. He's not the typical soldier by any means and shows that sensitivity is its own form of strength through many of his support conversations.

Something that I did find interesting, though, is that Byleth's support conversations with him don't mention his wife or daughter at all. It isn't until you see other conversations with him ( I think Hilda's) that you learn of their existence and its entirely possible to miss those, so without that information I think it's completely possible to interpret Byleth's and Alois' relationship as something more than friends given the language of their conversations (Byleth saying Alois is making him blush, Byleth asking him to stop referring to their relationship as one akin to siblings in the S-Rank, etc.). Obviously this isn't as clear as an exchange of rings, but it's something. Because of this I saw myself in a lot of his words, as I've always tried to be as open and emotionally present as possible with my close male friends.

In a way, I feel like by settling for what we got, or enjoying the way their story went, I'm indirectly justifying there only being one true romantic m/m pairing, and I certainly don't want to do that, but in the end their relationship was much more thoughtful than I had anticipated given the controversy.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was really satisfied with the pairings I got with my Golden Deer route with one leaving me feeling relatively conflicted (see spoiler tag). I'm about a quarter of the way through Blue Lions now and I'm mostly enjoying it. New game plus really makes it much easier to recruit absolutely everyone (I got 5 or 6 my first playthrough) and while it trivializes a lot of grinding, being able to spend renown on things other than the passive statue upgrades is nice.
As a gay man I really did want this to be as clear and romantic as the Linhardt ending was, and while that wasn't what happened, I did enjoy the conclusion to their story for what it was. I think, if nothing else, the Alois S-Rank shows that men can have relationships that are open and emotional, and that it isn't wrong or any less "manly" to care for other men, even if those feelings are just platonic. In a way Alois is written in a way that breaks these stereotypes within the franchise. He's sentimental, he's afraid of ghosts, he deeply cares for the wellbeing of his friends and is kept awake at night thinking of the deaths he has caused as a knight. He's not the typical soldier by any means and shows that sensitivity is its own form of strength through many of his support conversations.

Something that I did find interesting, though, is that Byleth's support conversations with him don't mention his wife or daughter at all. It isn't until you see other conversations with him ( I think Hilda's) that you learn of their existence and its entirely possible to miss those, so without that information I think it's completely possible to interpret Byleth's and Alois' relationship as something more than friends given the language of their conversations (Byleth saying Alois is making him blush, Byleth asking him to stop referring to their relationship as one akin to siblings in the S-Rank, etc.). Obviously this isn't as clear as an exchange of rings, but it's something. Because of this I saw myself in a lot of his words, as I've always tried to be as open and emotionally present as possible with my close male friends.

In a way, I feel like by settling for what we got, or enjoying the way their story went, I'm indirectly justifying there only being one true romantic m/m pairing, and I certainly don't want to do that, but in the end their relationship was much more thoughtful than I had anticipated given the controversy.

While the topic of his family doesn't come up in the support conversations (which are more focused on his relationship with Jeralt and, by extension, Byleth), he does mention them from time-to-time if you talk to him around the monastery.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I have just reached A support with Lysithea.
Is she really going to die? I am starting to think that the ending won't be happy for everyone at all...
In the meantime I won the final battle of Chapter 18... 29 turns, 1 hour, wow

Her ending prologue changes, depending on who you pair her with.
You can probably guess, who of the cast might help her out in her situation if they had high affinity for her, or you could check out some supports to see if you find hints.

I'm putting some of the people here in spoiler tag, that change her ending if she has highest affinity with them.
Hannemann
Byleth (needs to marry her)
Linhardt (I really recommend this one, because I loved their A support)

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
You can probably guess, who of the cast might help her out in her situation if they had high affinity for her, or you could check out some supports to see if you find hints.

I'm putting some of the people here in spoiler tag, that change her ending if she has highest affinity with them.
Hannemann
Since I am in Chapter 19, and Lysithea has A support only with Byleth but cannot get married with her, I suppose for this run I cannot save her. I will treasure this information for the next run, thank you

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
This game is so chill, I love it. I'm playing on Normal/Casual, does it stay on the easier side throughout the whole game?

just finished the blue lion campaign on Normal/Casual too, only the final chapter was slightly more challenging but it's actually very fun. will play on hard w/ another house.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Since I am in Chapter 19, and Lysithea has A support only with Byleth but cannot get married with her, I suppose for this run I cannot save her. I will treasure this information for the next run, thank you

I know I'm playing the game "wrong" but grinding support is all I did the last few chapters, in the monastery and in training battles. You can get them to A. But if you plan to replay the game anyway, seeing different outcomes might be fun (it's assured due to the difference in routes that you'll like some more than others anyway).

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
When I saw the first trailer I was a Golden Deer. When I bought the game Black Eagles for sure. Me choosing a house... Blue Lions for life!

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, yes it is. She sounds human now.

Although post-timeskip she gets better in Japanese.

Yeah I noticed that, her voice is a lot more tolerable post-timeskip.

Though to be honest now that I'm in a new house I kind of miss it lol. It was so bad at times that it wrapped back around to being good for me.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm on the cusp on the time skip, and I just need to be sure, on blue lions, does Gilbert join automatically?
I don't need to do anything? I need to make sure I have an even amount of party members post skip.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoying this. It my first FE game though and I'm not clear on a few things, but here's what I'm most curious about.

- what causes one of my people to get hp back when they deal damage? It seems really useful but I'm not sure how it's happening.

- one of my students 'died' in battle. Since I picked classic mode I thought they were gone forever but they're still there to talk to when I chose to explore. I've currently got 8 people in my team to fight with and I'm getting by (think I'm on the 3rd month) in battles. Should I look at recruiting someone ASAP? I've asked a few people already but don't have the stats and I'm not sure which stats I should be working on.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this. It my first FE game though and I'm not clear on a few things, but here's what I'm most curious about.

- what causes one of my people to get hp back when they deal damage? It seems really useful but I'm not sure how it's happening.

- one of my students 'died' in battle. Since I picked classic mode I thought they were gone forever but they're still there to talk to when I chose to explore. I've currently got 8 people in my team to fight with and I'm getting by (think I'm on the 3rd month) in battles. Should I look at recruiting someone ASAP? I've asked a few people already but don't have the stats and I'm not sure which stats I should be working on.

- It's either a Crest triggering it's effect, Byleth's crest has some lifesteal effect for example. Or it's a mage/priest using the light magic spell "Nosferatu", which is damage + lifesteal.

- Did that student die in the first battle at the monastery? Because that's a mock battle and no one dies in that battle.

For recruiting, it's pretty pointless to simply try matching their requirements, as they can be rather high and you would have to make your Byleth a jack-of-all-trades and do massive grinding. Pick some chars you want or that might check your chosen houses weakness (BE for example lack physical units and tanks) and start raising their support level with Byleth, by eating with them, giving them presents, find, collect and return their lost items and at C support do a tea session with them.

Once the support between a unit and Byleth reaches B, the requirements are low enough for you to easier match them, and sometimes these students even ask to join your house by themselves.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Man I thought Bernadetta's English voice actress was emulating that insufferable Japanese 6 year old trope very well. It's even worse in Japanese? Is such a thing even possible? I'm morbidly curious now.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm digging Cyril on my team. He's weak at first, but he's clearly going to have great growth with Aptitude as his personal skill. He seems like the Donnel of the game.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm digging Cyril on my team. He's weak at first, but he's clearly going to have great growth with Aptitude as his personal skill. He seems like the Donnel of the game.

Saldy he has been balanced in a way that makes him have average growths. After awakening IS has made sure the aptitude character doenst become an unstopable monster.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017

I had one die during a training battle I picked on the seminar/explore/battle/rest screen and they're still alive too. Not taking any more chances going forward though

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I had one die during a training battle I picked on the seminar/explore/battle/rest screen and they're still alive too. Not taking any more chances going forward though

If it's labeled a "training" battle in classic mode such as the mock battle then the rules for classic mode don't apply. In a real battle if a character dies and "retreats" it's because their vital to the story, but you lose them as playable forever.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
How do you guys recruit people quickly? I am only about 7 hours in and just got to July, do i have time still to recruit people before
the time skip

Jan 10, 2018
Not really. While you can make anyone decent at anything via teaching, they still have their own unique stat growths which can prevent them from being truly great at something they aren't suited for. For example on each level up Mercedes only has a 25% chance of increasing her defense wheras Dedue has a 50% chance.

I see. Thx for the help!

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017

Hannemann
How can I be 100% sure two units end up together?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Don't stop shipping them together even when they reach A support. I think the counter goes up despite the support having reached "max" level and that this actual count decided which of your A support chars end up together.

But that's only my speculation.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

It's not 100% since we don't know exactly how the game prioritizes pairings yet, but your best bet is to make sure they are both on the top of the "Close Allies" list for each other in their profile. You can keep raising their affection with activities in battle to ensure that.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Don't stop shipping them together even when they reach A support. I think the counter goes up despite the support having reached "max" level and that this actual count decided which of your A support chars end up together.

But that's only my speculation.
It's not 100% since we don't know exactly how the game prioritizes pairings yet, but your best bet is to make sure they are both on the top of the "Close Allies" list for each other in their profile. You can keep raising their affection with activities in battle to ensure that.

Thanks. Planning my supports has by far been the most difficult part of this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.