• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
dfnuvr4uryd31.png

Except for me it was mostly Hilda with Apocalyptic Flame.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Bought this game with a voucher and immediately got deeply absorbed. It's super great, and the lifesim elements stop me from getting burned out on the battles like I tend to in tactical games. Gameplay feels great, class system is fun, really engaging characters so far. It's terrifying how much content there seems to be in here, but I really want to do all the routes.

I'm playing Black Eagles first and really enjoying Hubert. Gonna get some Dark Seals just for him.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
You can S-rank multiple characters, you aren't locked into romance options,
you get a choice of which to pursue (if any) as a prompt while exploring the monastery towards the end of the game.
How do you choose which of the other characters get together? Are they only allowed one A rank each, or is there some way to determine pairings?

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
dfnuvr4uryd31.png

LMFAO

So in Chapter 6...

The mission where you're rescuing Flayn from the catacombs...

Death Knight vanished as soon as I opened his door and killed his two mooks. I had 7 turns left, so did I just take too long? Or did I need to draw the mooks out to try to get the Dark Seal?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought this game with a voucher and immediately got deeply absorbed. It's super great, and the lifesim elements stop me from getting burned out on the battles like I tend to in tactical games. Gameplay feels great, class system is fun, really engaging characters so far. It's terrifying how much content there seems to be in here, but I really want to do all the routes.

I'm playing Black Eagles first and really enjoying Hubert. Gonna get some Dark Seals just for him.

Oh if you love Hubert now keep going. He only get's better as the route continues.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Oh if you love Hubert now keep going. He only get's better as the route continues.
I'm honestly impressed by how likeable everyone is so far. They all hit that nice nexus of being lovable doofuses but clearly with some deeper stuff going on that I'm sure will make me sad when I progress their supports.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
how many hours long is this game approx?

loving it a lot, and curious to see if another playthrough w a different house is in my future

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How do you choose which of the other characters get together? Are they only allowed one A rank each, or is there some way to determine pairings?
No idea, sorry! I suspect there's a flow chart where, assuming all characters are at A, they prefer to pair up in certain ways, as lots of them have romantic undertones at - A so I found it hard to predict.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly impressed by how likeable everyone is so far. They all hit that nice nexus of being lovable doofuses but clearly with some deeper stuff going on that I'm sure will make me sad when I progress their supports.

I couldn't agree more. I'm nearing the end of the BE route and I don't want to say goodbye to these lovable disasters.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
LMFAO

So in Chapter 6...

Death Knight vanished as soon as I opened his door and killed his two mooks. I had 7 turns left, so did I just take too long? Or did I need to draw the mooks out to try to get the Dark Seal?

The battle conditions are set to either rout all the mooks or kill Death Knight. So yeah, it was killing the mooks that did it. It is slightly easier to deal with if you have a Silence user on your team, where you can leave 1 mage and then silence them 3 turns in a row.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
LMFAO

So in Chapter 6...

I don't recall the knight running out on me during that mission? Perhaps that's what happens when you take too long.
I think I finished with 8 turns left.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all giddy since this is my first FE since one of the GBA ones, any tips for a newcomer? I forgot almost everything since back then. Can I skill the MC any way I like?

Oct 26, 2017
dfnuvr4uryd31.png

To be fair, most things tremble in fear of Lysithea...

LMFAO

So in Chapter 6...

The victory condition for that map is kill the Death Knight or all the other enemies.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
The battle conditions are set to either rout all the mooks or kill Death Knight. So yeah, it was killing the mooks that did it. It is slightly easier to deal with if you have a Silence user on your team, where you can leave 1 mage and then silence them 3 turns in a row.
The victory condition for that map is kill the Death Knight or all the other enemies.
That did it then. I was having a good time with some liquor on last night's session so that's probably why I ignored it XD

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Help me Era, I've never played a Fire Emblem before, so I want my first playthrough to be the best it can be. I'm shocked I'm being forced to choose my house with basically no information 10 minutes into the game. Can anyone point me in the right direction and say 'choose this house for your first play through, it'll give you the best initial experience"

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Help me Era, I've never played a Fire Emblem before, so I want my first playthrough to be the best it can be. I'm shocked I'm being forced to choose my house with basically no information 10 minutes into the game. Can anyone point me in the right direction and say 'choose this house for your first play through, it'll give you the best initial experience"
I found this Kotaku article helpful

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all giddy since this is my first FE since one of the GBA ones, any tips for a newcomer? I forgot almost everything since back then. Can I skill the MC any way I like?

You could that for any char, but their growths/stats are the thing that dictates what classes they would excel at

ragnarok21

Nov 26, 2017
Just finished today Golden Deer, 47 hours in 8 days. Really happy with it, I will rest for a few days, maybe play an indie or mario tennis aces in between, and then go Blue Lions.

Yes, I went the classic Swordmaster way with the MC but I think you can fully customize which path to follow. My advice would be to consider Hard difficulty, because:
1. You can lower it to Normal, but not increase from Normal to Hard
2. You can go back in time during battles.
3. You can grind. Although it's limitted, I could always be a bit above the recommended level for the next mission.

Then going Classic (unit dies in battle, dies forever) or Casual (returns after the battle) would be up for personal preference.

Also, don't feel overwhelmed when you suddenly have a whole bunch of units to take care of, that was my biggest surprise as in previous Fire Emblems you recruit them slowly. The game is nice at introducing mechanics one by one and you can check the Tutorial messages any time.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
how many hours long is this game approx?

loving it a lot, and curious to see if another playthrough w a different house is in my future
Took me 40 hours to do Edelgard's route on hard/classic, but it's the shortest one, so I'd imagine 40-50 hours per route depending on how much time you spend in the various elements of it. Having a limited number of 'time rewinds' definitely saves having to redo a map exactly the same again up to that point though, which helps a lot with some of the larger maps.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's a tooltip for almost everything which helps. Yeah, your main character can do what they like, but you might find it hard to get them enough skill points to be cavalry/flier at first.
So what changes does New Game+ implement?

Also, it took me like 75 hours for my first playthough (Hard/classic), how the fuck are people getting though this so fast?

Reveal your secrets to me.
I'm not overly interested in the social link stuff and got a bit bored of running around the monastery talking to people, so in the second half I largely spent one day each month fast-travelling around doing the professor activities and sidequests quickly, to get back to the battles. If I spent the same time in the monastery post-timeskip as I did before it, my 40 hours with Edelgard would have been 50, and likely 60 on any other route. I like the way you can minimise involvement in the non-battle stuff if you get bored of it.

I do like fishing though, and spent more time doing that than talking to the kids.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
If it's the cutscene right after the first battle that's not actually the choice. You'll get to meet all the students first.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
If it's the cutscene right after the first battle that's not actually the choice. You'll get to meet all the students first.

Oh really? I was like "What the hell, I dont know any of you and you are already telling me I need to choose a house before we've even been to the castle!?". So after I get to the castle I'll get a chance to change my choice if i want? (I took the yellow house, the voice actor was giving the best performance and figured that might speak to the quality of the story)

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Oh really? I was like "What the hell, I dont know any of you and you are already telling me I need to choose a house before we've even been to the castle!?". So after I get to the castle I'll get a chance to change my choice if i want? (I took the yellow house, the voice actor was giving the best performance and figured that might speak to the quality of the story)
Yeah, you'll know the actual choice when you get to it.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Once you can explore the monastery the three leaders will tell you about all the students in their house, you can talk to them all individually as well

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't know the exact criteria for the "second route" of Black Eagles but I sort of have a feeling I've inadvertently stumbled upon it. Can anyone give me a spoiler free indication of where the split happens? Chapter and criteria, perhaps?

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
How is everyone handling setting goals for students? Is it better to change them every so often so that they become balanced, or just plow through one or two so they become specialized very quickly?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How is everyone handling setting goals for students? Is it better to change them every so often so that they become balanced, or just plow through one or two so they become specialized very quickly?

Some skills (like Authority) are useful for almost everyone, but I prefer to stick to their strengths and plan a route through the classes. There'd be no point in giving Felix any Faith skill, for example, if he's never going to be a class that can make use of it. Spreading skills too thin means they take longer to be qualified for more advanced classes, which have improved stats and very powerful abilities.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States

For my first playthrough I am mostly letting them choose their own goals. They will ask to focus on something specific every so often.

The only thing I am overriding is giving characters I know I want to be mounted, like Sylvain and Bernadetta, goals in Riding. This probably isn't the best or most optimized way to do it but it's at least helping me get to know characters and their skills a little better. I suspect I will find tune further on a subsequent playthrough but for now I let people study what they want and when they ask to change I let them.

As for target instruction, I tend to use that to unlock the "budding talents" (three stars on the menu).

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
So I noticed the lost items are often where the student was last seen (Bernadetta doesn't count).
Is that so obvious and known by everyone already.

Thought it was pretty helpful in getting to know who lost it with the hint added to it.
For some reason I remember easily where I found a good amount of students the previous month.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know the exact criteria for the "second route" of Black Eagles but I sort of have a feeling I've inadvertently stumbled upon it. Can anyone give me a spoiler free indication of where the split happens? Chapter and criteria, perhaps?

In chapter 11 if you talk to Edelgard you will get a choice. If you say no, you are locked the "first" route. If you say yes, you will have the option to go the second route later. But I think you only get the option if you C support Edelgard

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
Question for those that have played or are playing multiple Houses
Is edelgard always the character behind the mask in the first half of the game or does it change depending on the class you picked?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question for those that have played or are playing multiple Houses
Is edelgard always the character behind the mask in the first half of the game or does it change depending on the class you picked?
it's always the same. Plot has internal consistency so the only things that change are things that would naturally be different based on your presence

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

There is no point in balancing them. You need to know what their stats are good for (i.e. high dex is good for archers classes) and aim for that and anything that can help that goal. Authority, a couple of weapons or both types of magic for magic classes and riding/flying should be your targets for endgame.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
In chapter 11 if you talk to Edelgard you will get a choice. If you say no, you are locked the "first" route. If you say yes, you will have the option to go the second route later. But I think you only get the option if you C support Edelgard

Thanks so much. I wonder if it would be worth keeping a save so I can pick up from there on my next playthrough. 🤔

I probably will but then end up starting from the beginning anyway.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is no point in balancing them. You need to know what their stats are good for (i.e. high dex is good for archers classes) and aim for that and anything that can help that goal. Authority, a couple of weapons or both types of magic for magic classes and riding/flying should be your targets for endgame.
Yep. Especially because the classes after the initial one don't gain mastery that fast so you really aren't incentivized to have access to multiple in most cases

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
You know its kinda just hitting me now that
Edelgard hired a bunch of bandits to attempt to kill Dimitri and Claude at the very beginning of the game. Dick move.

Oct 25, 2017
By that point not a single one of my units, except for Byleth and Edelgard, could do damage to him and they would both be killed in the process. I assumed you weren't meant to engage with him and he was just an obstacle/hazard, especially because some of the units have the ability to push you backward and in to his attack range.

I will have to replay the game to figure out how you can possibly have a Thief with Steal by that map, which I remember being very early on. I don't think I had any intermediate units yet.
I was overleveled at that point. I picked Battle during one week and didn't realize that you get free missions that don't use battle points so I kept doing them expecting them to disappear. I also just really overestimated the level I thought the game wanted me to be at.

Once I got to the Death Knight mission, my roster was around lvl 10-13 with Byleth, Lysithea, and Claude obtaining their intermediate classes. Lysithea and Claude took off a bit chunk of his health though died in the process with Ignatz finally finishing him off.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with the experience have any recommendation for what route I should take after the "alternate" Black Eagle route? I'm definitely doing the "normal" BE path last.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Another day so I must remind aall of y'all again that Blue Lions is best squad
word. everyone i know irl picked either red or yellow and im over here the lone blue lion, but I wouldn't change it for anything. the team dynamic is just so perfect.

ALSO - when should I be recruiting people from other houses? is there a point in the game where the game tutorializes it, like with the blacksmith? I'm at least 6 or 7 chapters in and I still am seemingly unable to recruit anybody from another house.

Status
Not open for further replies.