• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those playing in portable mode, how long is your battery lasting?

About 3hrs seem right?

Yup but that's pretty typical for the Switch. I'm charging it so often.

Ok, just got to the first part of the timeskip with Edelgard Route.

.... I'm honestly surprised the fourth story route is that missable. You'd think it'd be a main one.

Question:
or did I miss something? I just randomly talked to her during exploration and was NOT expecting such a big story choice to pop up. Then I read you need to have her support up too a bit. Does the game really not push you to have that conversation with Edelgard when time is about to close on it and if you dont seek it out yourself you miss it? I thought going with her was supposed to be one of the main routes and siding with the church is an alternative one

You didn't miss anything. And yeah, if you don't do that you miss the route. It's really weird.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
In this? Absolutely. Before, not so much. Just so so.
Archers were already OP as fvck in Echoes, you can probably beat the game with nothing but archers and mages in Echoes, lol.
(You can't, because you need Alm to kill the final boss actually.)

So what happens with support levels post timeskip? Like lets say I still have Mercedes at C but her B support scene was before the timeskip. Is it locked out?
I was wondering too, turns out you still get the supports then, but they wear their new shiny post-skip costumes and haircuts instead.

RIP Gilbert. I hardly knew ye. Couldn't keep him alive at the end of the mission he appears in. Crazy bastard.

Are you on classic and playing Blue Lions? REALLY want to know what happens after time skip if you get Gilbert permanently killed before.
If you get to the first fight after time skip, please make sure you tag me and let me know if he shows up or not.

To people who've finished Golden Deer and/or Blue Lion playthroughs - which is the most interesting to do, after doing BE? Going to take a break for a bit, but I'd like to do a route that's a bit less focused around Edelgard, if that is actually true for either of the other two

If you're sick and tired of hearing about Edelgard, Edelgard, Edelgard, then ABSOLUTELY do not go Blue Lions next.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Should I be giving presents and lost items when their motivation is a green smiley already? The notification pops up they like receiving it but I have no indication if there's parameters going up or if it has any effect.

Also about recruiting, I wish they were more specific what they require, saying I need higher Bow or Magic, but not how high my level must be, having to walking back and forth to see if if they think it's high enough is a bit of a hassle.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

.... I'm honestly surprised the fourth story route is that missable. You'd think it'd be a main one.

Question:
or did I miss something? I just randomly talked to her during exploration and was NOT expecting such a big story choice to pop up. Then I read you need to have her support up too a bit. Does the game really not push you to have that conversation with Edelgard when time is about to close on it and if you dont seek it out yourself you miss it? I thought going with her was supposed to be one of the main routes and siding with the church is an alternative one
It's perhaps because,
as the character is starting a war for reasons they haven't told others, they felt that the players would be in more comfortable RPG territory on the defensive than on the offensive. So they made the latter the deliberate choice while also making it the house leader so there's a real choice to make between 'the characters I know' and 'But what they are doing makes no sense' and 'I've had suspicions about both them and the church for a while'. I know I deliberated on it for a while! I suspect this is why the player's conscience is immediately salved on either route too, with the game's cut scenes and immediate information given showing either faction as in the right to reassure your 'enlightened' choice.

I really like this design. Further comments on wider game design, maybe don't read if you're only going to play it once :
The various faction's motivations don't change but the info you are given, their actions in your absence, and their further extreme reactions to a string of defeats gradually confirm your suspicions that any of them are the monsters or puppets you suspect them to be.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yup but that's pretty typical for the Switch. I'm charging it so often.

You didn't miss anything. And yeah, if you don't do that you miss the route. It's really weird.
Yeah that's super strange. Now I feel like I'm doing the alternative route and I should've done the other one first. Oh well I kept a save at the choice anyway so I can jump back in and scope the other one out.

Also, question from around that area of the game
Who is the Death Knight? Edelgard said she'd tell me more after the battle but it wasn't explained. Do I find out later or is it assumed to be Jeritza?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did, with RNG luck mostly though.

My Byleth was a thief, so higher evade and crit chance, plus he was literally 5 levels above the rest of my characters. So he could take the initial blow to get the DK moving. After that, i parked Byleth on those evasion-tiles, while Linhardt kept him up alive with Physics from above the stairs.

The luck was that the DK missed enough for Byleth not to drop too much in health, and Byleth was also lucky with crits, otherwise it was just 4 points of damage.

For what it's worth, i had to use the Divine Pulse two times, because DK got two lucky crits and simply one-shotted Byleth at full health.

To finally finish him, Hubert used his Rally skill on Linhardt who blast him away with some high crit wind spell ... dunno the english title, playing in german. ^^

What i found very interesting, was that after i had to move Byleth to another evasion tile (because DK would crit always even after a Divine Pulse without Byleth moving), i also had to adjust Linhardt's position. He still wasn't in attack range of the DK, but he was closer.
And you know what DK did? After fighting Byleth, he canto-ed in Linhardt's direction and could've attacked him in the next round. Fascinating was that the other students were also "close" enough for DK, closer than Linhardt was in theory, yet he didn't make a move and kept position next to Byleth.

Ah interesting, this was before chapter 8 right? I know the one you're talking about but can't remember when it was.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's perhaps because,
as the character is starting a war for reasons they haven't told others, they felt that the players would be in more comfortable RPG territory on the defensive than on the offensive. So they made the latter the deliberate choice while also making it the house leader so there's a real choice to make between 'the characters I know' and 'But what they are doing makes no sense' and 'I've had suspicions about both them and the church for a while'. I know I deliberated on it for a while! I suspect this is why the player's conscience is immediately salved on either route too, with the game's cut scenes and immediate information given showing either faction as in the right to reassure your 'enlightened' choice.

I really like this design. Further comments on wider game design, maybe don't read if you're only going to play it once :
The various faction's motivations don't change but the info you are given, their actions in your absence, and their further extreme reactions to a string of defeats gradually confirm your suspicions that any of them are the monsters or puppets you suspect them to be.
Yeah it's definitely really interesting design. This game is delivering way more on the story front than I ever expected it to. That choice was fantastic and thought provoking. I've only played awakening before and Three Houses Story is massively better, I'm not sure which is the norm for FE and where either rank on the story scale.

Between all three routes this could potentially be one of my favorite game stories of all time

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So also Catherine joins the team, this is good, I think she could really replace Edelgard.
But the Academy phase (moving in Academy etc) will be present also in the post-timeskip? Because I would like to go to the hidden route as fast as possible
Yes, but you have far fewer people to talk to, and some of your units will be maxing out social links and class requirements so it's less urgent. I just prioritised fast travel around to do the few things I wanted once a month, and otherwise did battles or lectures. You can really speed it up, you don't have to talk to everyone.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Claude/Hilda B support was awesome.
Somebody please tell me if I meet

Claude's mom on GD path.I need more of those stories.

My Byleth is such an ass, I randomly talked to Shamir and she commented something about Gilbert, of course if you talk to Gilbert right after you'll have the option to as him about his secret.
Don't worry Gilbert, your secret is safe with me...and half of the monastery since it's obvious.lol

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Are you on classic and playing Blue Lions? REALLY want to know what happens after time skip if you get Gilbert permanently killed before.
If you get to the first fight after time skip, please make sure you tag me and let me know if he shows up or not.

I'm with Golden Deer. But he was mentioned by Rhea as having reported to her after the battle and can be talked to in the monastery. I assume everyone just retreats rather than dies.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
As Blue Lions, i poached Dorothea from the eagles and decided to make her my dancer when i had the option.

It's cool to have a dancer back but honestly, she barely dance in the battles, she's too powerfull as a damage dealer to be wasted on dances. Seriously, she one-shots almost anything on cac with Hexblade and at distance, it's about the same thing with Thoron. She's currently my top 3 damage dealer after Dimitri and before Felix (with Byleth logically on the lead).

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
So I accidentally S ranked Dorothea. Am I locked into her as a romance thing? I wanted to romance Edel. I can just reset if I have to I guess.

edit: false alarm, it was A rank. Just confused by the coloring in the UI

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Yes, but you have far fewer people to talk to, and some of your units will be maxing out social links and class requirements so it's less urgent. I just prioritised fast travel around to do the few things I wanted once a month, and otherwise did battles or lectures. You can really speed it up, you don't have to talk to everyone.
Thank you, I have just finished the first battle without my best units, it was difficult and I lost Bernadetta+Alois (but I am playing Casual), but after 40 minutes I was able to win. I think it will be a really long route.

Slathe

Oct 30, 2017
I'm confused about skills like dance and thief unlock abilities - if I switch off those classes do I still have those abilities? If not, the dancer master skill seems pointless since it just improves dance. I cant seem to find any info to confirm and cant test it at the moment.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thank you, I have just finished the first battle without my best units, it was difficult and I lost Bernadetta+Alois (but I am playing Casual), but after 40 minutes I was able to win. I think it will be a really long route.
What I've found is that you can leave Catherine as-is and focus on the others in terms of skills and classes. She's great as a swordmaster and once she masters the class and gets Astra she just tears through anything in melee. Being able to heal herself means you can happily leave her to look after herself on the field, she's a great pick on the church route. Seteth needs a lot of help to advance to wyvern Lord but there's something to be said for having a couple of fliers that can work in tandem (assuming you've turned someone else into a Pegasus knight). Alois is just steady, not particularly flashy but a solid enough melee unit. Easy upgrade to warmaster too.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I accidentally S ranked Dorothea. Am I locked into her as a romance thing? I wanted to romance Edel. I can just reset if I have to I guess.

edit: false alarm, it was A rank. Just confused by the coloring in the UI
You can S-rank multiple characters, you aren't locked into romance options,
you get a choice of which to pursue (if any) as a prompt while exploring the monastery towards the end of the game.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As Blue Lions, i poached Dorothea from the eagles and decided to make her my dancer when i had the option.

It's cool to have a dancer back but honestly, she barely dance in the battles, she's too powerfull as a damage dealer to be wasted on dances. Seriously, she one-shots almost anything on cac with Hexblade and at distance, it's about the same thing with Thoron. She's currently my top 3 damage dealer after Dimitri and before Felix (with Byleth logically on the lead).
dorothea as my mage/warlock is the ultimate glass canon except she isnt exactly made of glass but is even able to tank a hit or two.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
Should I be giving presents and lost items when their motivation is a green smiley already? The notification pops up they like receiving it but I have no indication if there's parameters going up or if it has any effect.

For characters in your house, giving a gift or lost item when at max motivation will still raise your support with them, so it's up to you if it's worth it.

It can raise support level pretty quickly, I've been spamming flowers to the people who like them, and got to B pretty quick with all of them.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Question:

nah that was just prerelase speculation. Edelgar declares war to the church on ch 11 on all 3 routes and thus she becomes the main antagonist at that point for whichever house you picked. the hidden route is a shorter story where
1)you side with her
2)she somehow is way behind on her objectives after timeskip compared to the other 3 routes
3)even then this hidden route is 5 chapters shorter

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
dorothea as my mage/warlock is the ultimate glass canon except she isnt exactly made of glass but is even able to tank a hit or two.

That, and the stuff the post you quoted, is actually the very reason why i'm making her my dancer. ^^

Nothing better than a dancer who also packs a punch in battle instead of being a dead-weight if dancing is not needed, who on top of that also survives some damage.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
What I've found is that you can leave Catherine as-is and focus on the others in terms of skills and classes. She's great as a swordmaster and once she masters the class and gets Astra she just tears through anything in melee. Being able to heal herself means you can happily leave her to look after herself on the field, she's a great pick on the church route. Seteth needs a lot of help to advance to wyvern Lord but there's something to be said for having a couple of fliers that can work in tandem (assuming you've turned someone else into a Pegasus knight). Alois is just steady, not particularly flashy but a solid enough melee unit. Easy upgrade to warmaster too.
Yes I began the battle with Seteth but he was continuously dying, so I restarted without him. As Pegasus knight I have Ingrid, so maybe I should try to make them work in pair, but I think that at the end I won't use him. Catherine is absolutely a must in the team, I understood it just after this first battle (the last of the pre-timeskip). I am sure she will replace Edelgard in my front line. About Alois, I have to work to improve him, I sacrificed him in this battle to defeat the Knight but otherwise he should have not "died" despite fighting with many enemies and without being immediately cured. Instead, Lysithea isn't as strong as Hubert, he was very lucky with RNG and was able to one-shot some enemy. But she is the only one who can replace him, I left Lindhart under 18 level, so he cannot be effetively used, while Dorothea+Manuela are my healers, with Dorothea who sometimes use black magic when healing.
Thank you anyway for your suggestions and opinions about this new team, findings out that I could not go into the hidden route after preparing my team for it has been difficult to accept, but the game is so engaging that I spent 40 minutes in this last battle again.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten several characters up to B support while also having decently high stats (15-20) as well as E+ in the skill they want, but I still can't get them to join. Do some characters need the skill to be at D rank?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
For characters in your house, giving a gift or lost item when at max motivation will still raise your support with them, so it's up to you if it's worth it.

It can raise support level pretty quickly, I've been spamming flowers to the people who like them, and got to B pretty quick with all of them.

Okay cool! I was afraid I was wasting my flowers and gifts.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten several characters up to B support while also having decently high stats (15-20) as well as E+ in the skill they want, but I still can't get them to join. Do some characters need the skill to be at D rank?

Seems so. I had Mercedes at B rank, high enough Mag but Bows only at E+ and she refused when i asked her. Though she herself did ask if she could join two in-game days later.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes I began the battle with Seteth but he was continuously dying, so I restarted without him. As Pegasus knight I have Ingrid, so maybe I should try to make them work in pair, but I think that at the end I won't use him. Catherine is absolutely a must in the team, I understood it just after this first battle (the last of the pre-timeskip). I am sure she will replace Edelgard in my front line. About Alois, I have to work to improve him, I sacrificed him in this battle to defeat the Knight but otherwise he should have not "died" despite fighting with many enemies and without being immediately cured. Instead, Lysithea isn't as strong as Hubert, he was very lucky with RNG and was able to one-shot some enemy. But she is the only one who can replace him, I left Lindhart under 18 level, so he cannot be effetively used, while Dorothea+Manuela are my healers, with Dorothea who sometimes use black magic when healing.
Thank you anyway for your suggestions and opinions about this new team, findings out that I could not go into the hidden route after preparing my team for it has been difficult to accept, but the game is so engaging that I spent 40 minutes in this last battle again.
What I also do is, if there's a chest on the map, give the fliers chest keys and deploy them to secure it first. Stops them from getting too far ahead in terms of xp too as otherwise your fast units tend to grow quickly by being able to be in combat every turn.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just read about using Steal on the Death Knight. Damn. Do you even have access to a Thief class by the first encounter?

Seems so. I had Mercedes at B rank, high enough Mag but Bows only at E+ and she refused when i asked her. Though she herself did ask if she could join two in-game days later.

Same thing happened to me. Then Lysithea immediately joined. They were the two I was trying to recruit, and they always refused, then both asked to join in the same in-game week on their own accord. What triggers them to ask themselves?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
What I also do is, if there's a chest on the map, give the fliers chest keys and deploy them to secure it first. Stops them from getting too far ahead in terms of xp too as otherwise your fast units tend to grow quickly by being able to be in combat every turn.
Yes, I tried to balance my team of 10 characters properly. Now all of these 10 are around level 23-25 (excluding the characters I haven't use anymore). The only three people who were 2-3 levels above the others were Byleth, Edelgard and Hubert.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They should make armour from the same material as Raphael's shirt buttons. Instantly get everyone to Fortress Knight levels of durability.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Just read about using Steal on the Death Knight. Damn. Do you even have access to a Thief class by the first encounter?

Same thing happened to me. Then Lysithea immediately joined. They were the two I was trying to recruit, and they always refused, then both asked to join on their own accord. What triggers them to ask themselves?

It's certainly possible to have access to the class by Chapter 4, yes. But the other question is if the char you're going to make your Thief has enough Spd to actually steal from the DK. Also ... i don't know if stealing triggers the DK's activation on the map ... or if standing on a tile next to him while he's still idle does.

If that's the case, your thief must be able to survive a hit, or you must be able to finish the map in the same turn by defeating the enemy leader.

About chars joining by themselves, i think it's random once you hit B-rank with them? Could be wrong.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I recommend waiting to play paralogue level 30 with Petra and Bernadette as it is quite the challenging level. Playing it on hard and
decided to clear the level the hard way by clearing all enemies. Then Hubert appears like a boss with a meteor (1 use) move that instant kills anyone that has a range that spans half the map. Luckily you can silence him but he is rushing towards an exit (and three other units in three different spaces) so it is quite the pain.
Hardest mission so far for me.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
You can get it by then. I did, but my speed wasn't high enough to steal from him.

Instead, I sacrificed some students to defeat him and get the seal. I'm on casual so they came back, but felt a bit bad about doing that lol

By that point not a single one of my units, except for Byleth and Edelgard, could do damage to him and they would both be killed in the process. I assumed you weren't meant to engage with him and he was just an obstacle/hazard, especially because some of the units have the ability to push you backward and in to his attack range.

I will have to replay the game to figure out how you can possibly have a Thief with Steal by that map, which I remember being very early on. I don't think I had any intermediate units yet.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Post time-skip Dimitri is just a cameo in the Golden Deer route, huh?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I recommend waiting to play paralogue level 30 with Petra and Bernadette as it is quite the challenging level. Playing it on hard and
decided to clear the level the hard way by clearing all enemies. Then Hubert appears like a boss with a meteor (1 use) move that instant kills anyone that has a range that spans half the map. Luckily you can silence him but he is rushing towards an exit (and three other units in three different spaces) so it is quite the pain.
Hardest mission so far for me.

Yeah I was glad I wasn't playing classic, there was no way to prevent Raphael getting nuked. I can only imagine that permadeath makes Meteor way scarier if you can't get your low-res unit out of range in time.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'm with Golden Deer. But he was mentioned by Rhea as having reported to her after the battle and can be talked to in the monastery. I assume everyone just retreats rather than dies.

He only shows up for Blue Lions past time skip, so you don't need to worry about him anyway in that case, if you didn't recruit him before.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
The game has everything I expected and much more so far which makes me wonder what those 6/10 review scores were about. I mean, it's Washington and Daily Star, so you wouldn't expect much. Still, it's just weird.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I hope this isn't too spoilery, just wanted to make another Linhardt Appreciation Post.

CGQbBw7.png

(cut off his post time-skip portrait)

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I just got to chapter 11. Early chapter 11 spoilers below.

Is the Enlightened One class good, or should I try for a different class for Byleth?

Thanks in advance.
As someone who beat the game I can tell you It was a great class if you're of the sword and magic persuasion and when I maxed out the level for it it was easy to transition over to the Mortal Savant class.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
By that point not a single one of my units, except for Byleth and Edelgard, could do damage to him and they would both be killed in the process. I assumed you weren't meant to engage with him and he was just an obstacle/hazard, especially because some of the units have the ability to push you backward and in to his attack range.

I will have to replay the game to figure out how you can possibly have a Thief with Steal by that map, which I remember being very early on. I don't think I had any intermediate units yet.

For what it's worth, you can get away with skipping him in the first battle. When he shows up again, it's at a point where it's slightly more doable in stealing from or killing him.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I married Lysithia and saved her life <3. Everyone in my party got a super happy ending.
Leonie and Felix became the new leaders of Jeralt's Mercenaries
Hilda opens a fashion business financed by Marianne's family
Setith and Flayn get some deserved rest
Raphael became a knight and Ignatz became an artist and married Raphael's sister
Claude hands over the ruling of Fodlan to Lorenz, while Claude goes back to Almyra, and works on unifying the 2 countries from there

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Since I beat the game with a mostly magic focused team I'm starting again and taking the alternative choice and I'm going to make a team that is more balance focused since it seems
the additional people who joined after the choice strongly favor physical.

Also was able to recruit Felix in the meantime which I feel stupid regarding because I like him and probably could have gotten him in my first run because my sword skill was certainly high enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.