• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game on the 'hidden' route and I have a couple observations:

Sorry Edie I'm not actually convinced the Church was nearly as evil as she says it was and feel like Rhea got pushed to desperation because of what Edie did. Not to mention slaughtering your friends and family and taking over an entire continent and forcing everyone to bend to your will or be killed will never come off as something a 'good' person would do. I spent the entire route shaking my head and she completely lost me with the way she treated/killed Dimitri. Not gonna feel bad when I kill her when I choose to support the church in my next playthrough.

End game supports spoilers:

The most surprising one was in mine Dorothea and Preta ended up as lovers...? I was under the impression Preta was not gay, yet at the end of the game Dorothea went back to Preta's home country with her and helped her and at the end it said Dorothea was Preta's most beloved. Gay ending or not I still enjoyed that surprise. Another amusing one was Bernie and Edie ended up as a pair in the ending with Edie forcing Bernie to become her personal advisor after she tried to become a recluse again.

The person I chose to marry....

EA7tRDjU4AEqabB

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Despite working hard to do so, I sort of regret spending time recruiting students from other houses. Each house looks pretty balanced with its base crew and using who is available to you is part of what makes each house unique.

I think I will limit this effort in my subsequent playthroughs. I can't say my game is any better or more fun with five different magic users to choose from. I don't want to use the same people every path either so limiting student recruits will help subsequent playthroughs stay different.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in chapter 11 on the Black Eagles route, and got some questions

So I know that if I talk to Edelgard, I start down the path to her route. More importantly, if I say I can't go, I'm instantly locked out of her route. I've been told that much.

My problem is that I just recruited a bunch of people on 2/8, and now I have 3 paralogues (Sylvain, Felix, Lorenz) and a rare monster to fight within two break days. If I never ask Edelgard and trigger the branching choices cutscene, will I automatically be locked out of her route? I am hoping that the game will just force the cutscene into one day in the week leading up to the 2/29.

I can find this out myself via multiple save files, but I didn't know if someone here had already experienced this scenario yet. Don't want to potentially waste time if I don't have to.

If the answer is that I do get locked out, which two paralogues would you recommend that I skip? Or should I just skip one paralogue and the rare monster? I only recruited Lorenz since someone said there's a great item you get from it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

That's what I like about the game's different perspectives, you can argue "taking over an entire continent and forcing everyone to bend to your will or be killed will never come off as something a 'good' person would do" applies to a thousand years of Rhea executing anyone who won't bend the knee to the church and worship her, and having annihilated the previous civilisation that wouldn't either.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Despite working hard to do so, I sort of regret spending time recruiting students from other houses. Each house looks pretty balanced with its base crew and using who is available to you is part of what makes each house unique.

I think I will limit this effort in my subsequent playthroughs. I can't say my game is any better or more fun with five different magic users to choose from. I don't want to use the same people every path either so limiting student recruits will help subsequent playthroughs stay different.
If you recruit them, you don't have to kill them after the timeskip though.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.

I kinda wish they wouldn't let us recruit other students sometimes or at least limited it to way more than just house leaders and their 2nd in command. It makes some cutscenes post timeskip kinda awkward and it just feels straight up wrong to be recruiting some of them when they're like childhood friends with some of the house leaders.

Sorry Edie I'm not actually convinced the Church was nearly as evil as she says it was and feel like Rhea got pushed to desperation because of what Edie did. Not to mention slaughtering your friends and family and taking over an entire continent and forcing everyone to bend to your will or be killed will never come off as something a 'good' person would do. I spent the entire route shaking my head and she completely lost me with the way she treated/killed Dimitri. Not gonna feel bad when I kill her when I choose to support the church in my next playthrough.

End game supports spoilers:

The most surprising one was in mine Dorothea and Preta ended up as lovers...? I was under the impression Preta was not gay, yet at the end of the game Dorothea went back to Preta's home country with her and helped her and at the end it said Dorothea was Preta's most beloved. Gay ending or not I still enjoyed that surprise. Another amusing one was Bernie and Edie ended up as a pair in the ending with Edie forcing Bernie to become her personal advisor after she tried to become a recluse again.

The person I chose to marry....

EA7tRDjU4AEqabB
Ah another well cultured individual I see.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the difficulty spike in
chapter 12 (reunion chapter - taking back the monastery)
is real. Not sure what I would have done without my
dancer Lorenz.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm in chapter 11 on the Black Eagles route, and got some questions

So I know that if I talk to Edelgard, I start down the path to her route. More importantly, if I say I can't go, I'm instantly locked out of her route. I've been told that much.

My problem is that I just recruited a bunch of people on 2/8, and now I have 3 paralogues (Sylvain, Felix, Lorenz) and a rare monster to fight within two break days. If I never ask Edelgard and trigger the branching choices cutscene, will I automatically be locked out of her route? I am hoping that the game will just force the cutscene into one day in the week leading up to the 2/29.

I can find this out myself via multiple save files, but I didn't know if someone here had already experienced this scenario yet. Don't want to potentially waste time if I don't have to.

If the answer is that I do get locked out, which two paralogues would you recommend that I skip? Or should I just skip one paralogue and the rare monster? I only recruited Lorenz since someone said there's a great item you get from it.

I can't really answer your second question since I've only done 1/3 of those paralogues but yes you will be locked out of the route.

Oct 25, 2017
This was my first Fire Emblem, and I just beat the Golden Deer route.

I loved it.

I played as female Byleth mostly due to the Niosi problem, and gave the ring to Claude. He is just the best, so why not marry him. Marriane married Lorenz, Ignatz married Raphael's sister and became an artist. Basically everyone had a pretty good ending

Going to do the Blue Lions next, and I am going to make sure to recruit members from the Black Eagles

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I've been playing the hell out of this since launch. I'm just about to wrap the first month post-time skip. I'm absolutely staggered by the number of apparent differences between the routes. Now I'll somehow have to find time to play the game two (three?) more times in order to get the full picture. That sounds cool and awful, all at once! And from what I read, ng+ isn't as generous with time as it probably should be. I'm weirdly conflicted about this aspect of the game.

I picked a female Byleth and joined the Golden Deer. I recruited five other students (Sylvain in the first month, Bernie, Petra, Felix, Ashe). Just waiting for that last one to come back to me. I've loved pretty much every part of this game. It's much more enjoyable than Awakening, which is the only other FE I've played, but I will miss shipping from that game. Seeing Hilda get stuck with Lorenz would be tragic and wish I could avert that. Balancing activities is fun, battle system is much improved with Divine Pulse, everything is great... the fishing is wearing thin, though. That's the kind of thing that gets the little voice in my head to start nagging at me about how shitty future playthroughs will be.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how soon you meet him again but he was lv 16 when most of my guys were 6-7, Byleth managed to do 1 damage to him

I tried to take him on during the first encounter and saw 0 damage pop up, I noped the fuck out of there and reversed my actions a few steps.

You can encounter him a few times, I hear stealing the dark seal is an option if you have a thief. I faced and beat him midgame (the only time I really took him on) thanks to a crit hammer attack. I'm sure I'll face him again soon, not sure how much stronger he will be.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
And miss out on that xp? :D Some of the conversations when you turn house members against each other are interesting and really sell the setting to me.

and you'll miss paralogues where you can broken ass weapons, staves and stuff if you skip them and the xp from them. There's also paralogues that require students from other houses post time skip.

Not to mention all the bullions and stat boosters u get from recruiting nobles and commoners.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I managed to defeat the Death Knight in one hit in Chapter 8 (with a level 28 Dimitri). The first couple of times you come across him he batters you though.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The story sword seems kind of lame? At this point in the game at least I'm never going to be wasting free days resting

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to defeat the Death Knight in one hit in Chapter 8 (with a level 28 Dimitri). The first couple of times you come across him he batters you though.

Wow, my Dimitri only hit that level around chapter 11. I started using Shamir more, the moment I recruited her.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
To people who've finished Golden Deer and/or Blue Lion playthroughs - which is the most interesting to do, after doing BE? Going to take a break for a bit, but I'd like to do a route that's a bit less focused around Edelgard, if that is actually true for either of the other two

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Little by little the burden is passing, maybe in the afternoon I will continue my playthrough, even though I am so afflicted that this will impact how much I was enjoying and loving this game... It has been my mistake after all, it is not absolutely a game's fault, I fact I am more critizing my stupidity... Anyway I must give this route a possibility, maybe doing less paralogues or optional battles.

I have just a question, since I have to entirely reorganize my team.

Edelgard and Hubert were my most powerful characters alongside with Byleth, since I wanted to go to the hidden route... And now they are gone.
I will replace Hubert with Lysithea, while Edelgard will be difficult to replace. Do you know of some of the Church members use axes? Maybe Sethes could be a replacement?
Fortunately Petra can be the front-line attacker with Ferdinand and Byleth.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I'm not there yet, and didn't know this happened. I guess that adds to it to the experience.

Wish I didn't know that though! 😠

I assumed it was pretty clear from the start that anyone not in your house was going to be an enemy. Even being able to recruit other students was a bit of a surprise to me.

It would be nice if they brought back the Capture ability from Fates, though, so you could try to take people out non-lethally and maybe recruit them later.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Edelgard and Hubert were my most powerful characters alongside with Byleth, since I wanted to go to the hidden route... And now they are gone.
I will replace Hubert with Lysithea, while Edelgard will be difficult to replace. Do you know of some of the Church members use axes? Maybe Sethes could be a replacement?

Alois and Seteth, i think. Gilbert is Blue Lions locked, iirc.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Wow, my Dimitri only hit that level around chapter 11. I started using Shamir more, the moment I recruited her.

I haven't really grinded at all either. But outside of Blyth (Level 26), Dedue (Level 24) and Dimitri (Level 28) the rest of my team ranges from level 15 to 20. I found Dimitri, Blyth and Dedue stronger in the early stages and leaned on them a little bit so they've hogged the experience a little. Dimitri is a monster as a Paladin. I often just throw him into a group of enemies so so he can kill one and then then he just 1 hit kills them on the counter attack in the enemy phase, Dedue and Blyth are similar, they rarely take a hit.

I kind of wish I'd played on hard now. Will be for my 2nd playthrough!

Migil

Oct 28, 2017
To people who've finished Golden Deer and/or Blue Lion playthroughs - which is the most interesting to do, after doing BE? Going to take a break for a bit, but I'd like to do a route that's a bit less focused around Edelgard, if that is actually true for either of the other two
If you go Golden Deer or Blue Lion, the pre timeskip part will not involve Edelgard much. Its a nice change.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

I mean Edelgard is the main focus of this game. But Claudes relationship with her isn't nearly as personal as Dimitri's is with her.

Good, my Alois is Level 21, just 3 levels below Edelgard, so it could be a good choice. I basically want a tank who can go in the front line with Byleth, receiving very few damage.

Iirc you can try to focus on recrutiing hilda and she's a very strong axe user.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I assumed it was pretty clear from the start that anyone not in your house was going to be an enemy. Even being able to recruit other students was a bit of a surprise to me.

It would be nice if they brought back the Capture ability from Fates, though, so you could try to take people out non-lethally and maybe recruit them later.

It didn't even occur to me, honestly.

As a result, I am now breaking my Switch in to little pieces and dropping them one by one into the garbage disposal. You hate to see it but I don't see any other course.

For real though it's no big deal.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
secretly i hope they will revisit the performance of the game, i think with a little bit more optimization there could be improvements.

but realistically, nothing will happen...

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really grinded at all either. But outside of Blyth (Level 26), Dedue (Level 24) and Dimitri (Level 28) the rest of my team ranges from level 15 to 20. I found Dimitri, Blyth and Dedue stronger in the early stages and leaned on them a little bit so they've hogged the experience a little. Dimitri is a monster as a Paladin. I often just throw him into a group of enemies so so he can kill one and then then he just 1 hit kills them on the counter attack in the enemy phase, Dedue and Blyth are similar, they rarely take a hit.

I kind of wish I'd played on hard now. Will be for my 2nd playthrough!

Yeah hard is certainly more of a challenge, especially when I found on normal you can grind maps infinitely on some battles (which you can't do on hard).

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
if i have a blue speech bubble against support but it says i can't do this for some time, does that mean the support is maxed until post time skip? so i should save my gifts/tea party invites for other people?

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to take him on during the first encounter and saw 0 damage pop up, I noped the fuck out of there and reversed my actions a few steps.

You can encounter him a few times, I hear stealing the dark seal is an option if you have a thief. I faced and beat him midgame (the only time I really took him on) thanks to a crit hammer attack. I'm sure I'll face him again soon, not sure how much stronger he will be.
But why randomly lock an intermediate class behind such a beast. I'll try to steal it from him next time he appears now that Petra is a thief, but it will have to be perfectly timed since I'm sure he would kill her if I gave him the chance.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, just got to the first part of the timeskip with Edelgard Route.

.... I'm honestly surprised the fourth story route is that missable. You'd think it'd be a main one.

Question:
or did I miss something? I just randomly talked to her during exploration and was NOT expecting such a big story choice to pop up. Then I read you need to have her support up too a bit. Does the game really not push you to have that conversation with Edelgard when time is about to close on it and if you dont seek it out yourself you miss it? I thought going with her was supposed to be one of the main routes and siding with the church is an alternative one

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Little by little the burden is passing, maybe in the afternoon I will continue my playthrough, even though I am so afflicted that this will impact how much I was enjoying and loving this game... It has been my mistake after all, it is not absolutely a game's fault, I fact I am more critizing my stupidity... Anyway I must give this route a possibility, maybe doing less paralogues or optional battles.

I have just a question, since I have to entirely reorganize my team.

On reorganising my force in the same position as you:
I had also poured xp into Edelgard and Hubert, so on going to back to the decision point, my group felt a bit weak without them. However, Catherine and Alois are solid frontline choices, the latter with an axe. Both have a self-heal action that is incredibly useful. I'm doing that church route now and they've effectively replaced Edelgard and Caspar up front, with Dorothea having stepped back a little from focusing on dancing into using a bit more black magic to replace Hubert.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
beat the final chapter for Blue Lions. That was an ordeal
Same!

I turned it down to Normal and mass rushed Edelgard through the center. I was on casual so I could sacrifice units. I felt kinda bad about the difficulty, but on Hard it's REALLY hard, and by that point I just wanted to see the end.

Started my next playthrough. I really wanted to go Golden Deer, but the Eagles story was so intertwined with Lions that I just had to go with Black Eagles. Afraid I might burnout soon, though.

Dimitri is boss king forever and ever.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But why randomly lock an intermediate class behind such a beast. I'll try to steal it from him next time he appears now that Petra is a thief, but it will have to be perfectly timed since I'm sure he would kill her if I gave him the chance.
Yeah I agree it's rough but you do get multiple attempts to take him, he's just too strong early game, seems chapter 8 onwards is the only way. I'd like ot know if people managed to beat him before chapter 8.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I've hit the final stretch now
the battle against nemisis
and my hands are shaking. This is too stressful man. Makes me wanna turn it to normal difficulty.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
What's the Death Knight's relation to Mercedes? He mentioned her name in my route but I never got any more info about it. How do you find out more? I was Blue Lions, so maybe I missed something?

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I just got to chapter 11. Early chapter 11 spoilers below.

Is the Enlightened One class good, or should I try for a different class for Byleth?

Thanks in advance.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree it's rough but you do get multiple attempts to take him, he's just too strong early game, seems chapter 8 onwards is the only way. I'd like ot know if people managed to beat him before chapter 8.

I did, with RNG luck mostly though.

My Byleth was a thief, so higher evade and crit chance, plus he was literally 5 levels above the rest of my characters. So he could take the initial blow to get the DK moving. After that, i parked Byleth on those evasion-tiles, while Linhardt kept him up alive with Physics from above the stairs.

The luck was that the DK missed enough for Byleth not to drop too much in health, and Byleth was also lucky with crits, otherwise it was just 4 points of damage.

For what it's worth, i had to use the Divine Pulse two times, because DK got two lucky crits and simply one-shotted Byleth at full health.

To finally finish him, Hubert used his Rally skill on Linhardt who blast him away with some high crit wind spell ... dunno the english title, playing in german. ^^

What i found very interesting, was that after i had to move Byleth to another evasion tile (because DK would crit always even after a Divine Pulse without Byleth moving), i also had to adjust Linhardt's position. He still wasn't in attack range of the DK, but he was closer.
And you know what DK did? After fighting Byleth, he canto-ed in Linhardt's direction and could've attacked him in the next round. Fascinating was that the other students were also "close" enough for DK, closer than Linhardt was in theory, yet he didn't make a move and kept position next to Byleth.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
On reorganising my force in the same position as you:
I had also poured xp into Edelgard and Hubert, so on going to back to the decision point, my group felt a bit weak without them. However, Catherine and Alois are solid frontline choices, the latter with an axe. Both have a self-heal action that is incredibly useful. I'm doing that church route now and they've effectively replaced Edelgard and Caspar up front, with Dorothea having stepped back a little from focusing on dancing into using a bit more black magic to replace Hubert.
So also Catherine joins the team, this is good, I think she could really replace Edelgard.
But the Academy phase (moving in Academy etc) will be present also in the post-timeskip? Because I would like to go to the hidden route as fast as possible

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
What's the Death Knight's relation to Mercedes? He mentioned her name in my route but I never got any more info about it. How do you find out more? I was Blue Lions, so maybe I missed something?

Character discussion during timeskip.

you needed to recruit Casper or I guess recruit Mercedes to the black eagles of both to the golden deer. There's a paralogue post timeskip that requires both of them.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really digging Leonie's new hairstyle, still not sure who to properly romance yet but she's gone up in the ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.