• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Question about chapter 6 boss:

Is battling the Death Knight the only way to get a Dark Seal? Petra has a steal ability. If she manages to steal the seal from him and then dies, do I lose the item as well?

I know I can avoid fighting him but Hubert needs his seal!

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Introducing the second Season Pass - "Exchange Students"

Wave 1 - Exchange from Archanea
Wave 2 - Exchange from Elibe
Wave 3 - Exchange from Magvel
Wave 4 - Exchange from Tellius
Wave 5 - Exchange from Fateslandia

"Lyn joins the free house Golden Deer, Eliwood the noble Blue Lions, Hector the mighty empire's Black Eagles!"

Side story 1: A trip to Brigid

Our students are enjoying their trip to Brigid, a beautiful archipelago full of stunning beaches and a relaxing tropical climate. What could possibly go wrong?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Here I am and thinking "Huh Sylvain is Black Eagles ain't he?" checked on the Wiki and realized that I have him since almost the begining of the game and he is a Blue Lion?! How did I do that? I even did his quest and got the awesome lance and all lol
He doesn't even seem any different than the others and even has some very cool supports with all of them.

When did I do that? Well I also didn't realize that I lost Caspar (what a jobber), but still...

You are F!Bleyth and he likes girls too much. So he joins the first time you ask regardless of masteries or support level

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Side story 1: A trip to Brigid

Our students are enjoying their trip to Brigid, a beautiful archipelago full of stunning beaches and a relaxing tropical climate. What could possibly go wrong?

I played that paralogue yesterday. What happens is
Hubert appearing and casting meteor on my units. Over 40 magic damage wtf.

No, seriously. This happens.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this the kind of SRPG where you can grind or is it a linear progression?

You could grind on normal difficulty, but not on hard. You have points which you use for battles and if they are used up you can't battle anymore. Normal mode always has one battle which is always free which you can grind as many times as you like to.

WeroZero

Nov 22, 2017
Question about chapter 6 boss:

Is battling the Death Knight the only way to get a Dark Seal? Petra has a steal ability. If she manages to steal the seal from him and then dies, do I lose the item as well?

I know I can avoid fighting him but Hubert needs his seal!

Do the stealing with Petra but there has to be at least one enemy left alive, so steal then kill the last enemy and the chapter ends, so the boss wont get a chance to kill her, thats how i did it lol

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why Hubert is unavailable? He didn't die in any fights and in the unit select it says he's unavailable and doesn't appear for teaching.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Started chapter 6 last night... Haven't been able to recruit anyone yet.

My team is a bit blah so far:

Claude as a Sniper
Ignatz snipper
Lorenz no choice yet
Hilda as a brigand
Raph as a brawler
Lysithea as a mage
Marianne as a priest
Byleth as a mercenary
Leonie is a cavalier.

Bleh.

Lorenz into dark mage <3

I'm playing GD too and I recruited Sylvain for paladin duo with Leonie, Felix and Catherine cause I want more sword users. Trying to Get Petra, Dorothea, and Mercedes now.

I don't use Ignatz and Raphael tho :(

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
mercifully, I was to re-recruit Lorenz here. I was saaaalty that he didn't stick with us post time-skip.

Poor Ferdy though. I felt really bad for him post-Flame Emperor reveal as he told us the Empire proceeded to strip everything from him and his family. I'm a bit impressed he was so loyal.

Edit: omg this scene with dedue and dimitri. he caaaares ;-;

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I played that paralogue yesterday. What happens is
Hubert appearing and casting meteor on my units. Over 40 magic damage wtf.

No, seriously. This happens.
That paralogue on Edelgard's route-
Catherine steps out of the treeline and starts carving her way through your force instead. Admittedly she's a lot easy of avoid than Meteor :D

I've just finished Edelgard's route, and gone back to do the other route from the split rather than play the first half of the game again.

Spoilers for chapter 11+:
Pleased to see some strong units
like Seteth and Catherine join to replace the ones I lost, as I had poured a lot of xp into Hubert and Edelgard. I like the way that the Eagles have a strong magic focus, so when Hubert leaves you've probably still got a reasonable Mage. Although this is the first time they are my dancer as well!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
With the attention to the lore this game is giving, DLC like that would be terrible lol

So Magvel, Elibe, Achanea, Tellius and Fateslandia are all from the same world and all take place at the same time?

I think the idea is that DLC for recent Fire Emblem games have all been non-canon fanservice (to my knowledge).

I think this is a bad idea for Three Houses though and hope they don't do this. I wouldn't mind outfits but that's it.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea is that DLC for recent Fire Emblem games have all been non-canon fanservice (to my knowledge).

I think this is a bad idea for Three Houses though and hope they don't do this. I wouldn't mind outfits but that's it.

Echoes' DLC was actually a prequel to the main story, focusing on a group of the cast and what they did before Alm showed up.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Here I am and thinking "Huh Sylvain is Black Eagles ain't he?" checked on the Wiki and realized that I have him since almost the begining of the game and he is a Blue Lion?! How did I do that? I even did his quest and got the awesome lance and all lol
He doesn't even seem any different than the others and even has some very cool supports with all of them.

When did I do that? Well I also didn't realize that I lost Caspar (what a jobber), but still...

My understanding is Sylvain will almost automatically join your party if you're playing as female Byleth, which is great because Sylvain has some really fun supports with a lot of the cast.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

I don't remember Fates, but Awakening basically had a "Portal shrine" where you could enter portals to alternate worlds, so it worked there.

It would be incredibly off-putting to see Marth or Lucina walking around the monastery as exchange students. Costumes would be cool though, I agree.

LasNochesGin

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
OMG I played the last battle yesterday and sadly Lorenz e Lysithea died in the last turn against the final boss. It's brutal, the last fight is a lot harder than all the previous fights.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
OMG I played the last battle yesterday and sadly Lorenz e Lysithea died in the last turn against the final boss. It's brutal, the last fight is a lot harder than all the previous fights.

Golden Deer route on hard ? It was really brutal to me too, such a huge difficulty spike all of a sudden. luckily, nobody died but it was really close

benj

Oct 27, 2017
surprised so many people are making Petra a thief/assassin, she seems like a natural wyvern rider to me

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
This is very cool and I didn't know this. Echoes sounds more and more like the Fire Emblem I should have played instead of Fates. What a tragedy.

I enjoyed Echoes, but it's not without its fair share of problems. Three Houses is Awakening + Echoes + Actual World Building From The Old Games, so it kind of makes it feel like Fates never existed lol. That's for better or worse though: The maps from Fates were pretty good and this game hasn't offered anything comparable.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
This is very cool and I didn't know this. Echoes sounds more and more like the Fire Emblem I should have played instead of Fates. What a tragedy.

It's ... not all golden in this game. For example, i really liked Echoes up to a certain point where one of the two main chars, Celica, became so incredibly dumb and made so unbelievable bad decisions that it ruined the game for me.

For serious DLC discussion about Three Houses, i guess it will focus on ... i'm not writing that full name again ... on the Nightcrawlers and Agartha. There, i said it, i call them that now.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Echoes has incredible artwork (i expect no less from Hidari) as well as fun characters, a great localization and possibly the best soundtrack in the series. Unfortunately the story can get dumb and it's a remake of old FE so you got those extra scuffed maps. It's can be a little hard to go back to after playing the better maps from Fates.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

It relaly felt like the Rise of the Deliverance DLC should have been included in the main game, because it really explains the behavior of one character much better than the full game ever does while adding a lot for other characters as well. It was that good.

The overall game, while better than Fates storywise (but what isnt better than fates story anyways), is not that good from a gameplay standpoint because they were a little too faithful to the NES original. Conquest is much better in gameplay for that matter. That being said Echoes is still fun and there is some stuff that carried over to 3h like archer range of attack or the whole concept of active skills

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long of a wait it'll be until M!Byleth's English voice changes.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
personally i would like a DLC that

filled out the crimson eagle route a bit more. i loved it, but it's a full five chapters shorter than the other routes.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I know I keep gushing over Petra but god damn. Having her win the
Dance
and making her an assassin with an evasion ring basically means no one can hit her. Did Sothis mission and the monsters couldn't hit her at all.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's ... not all golden in this game. For example, i really liked Echoes up to a certain point where one of the two main chars, Celica, became so incredibly dumb and made so unbelievable bad decisions that it ruined the game for me.

For serious DLC discussion about Three Houses, i guess it will focus on ... i'm not writing that full name again ... on the Nightcrawlers and Agartha. There, i said it, i call them that now.
I'm still wishcasting for an Interquel route where everybody in the student cast lives and they deal with the more obvious baddies, but the political conflicts aren't resolved, a bigger threat is set up for a sequel, and idk maybe Byleth bites it?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Echoes has incredible artwork (i expect no less from Hidari) as well as fun characters, a great localization and possibly the best soundtrack in the series. Unfortunately the story can get dumb and it's a remake of old FE so you got those extra scuffed maps. It's can be a little hard to go back to after playing the better maps from Fates.
The plot was pretty generic, for lack of a better word, but the writing (and the localization) were so, so good. Much better than any other Fire Emblem before. The voice acting was also amazing, one of the few instances where I might like the dub better.

It's pretty impressive how they took a very basic NES game and gilded it with fantastic line-to-line dialogue like they did. If you look at it in a vacuum it's "not too bad," but if you look at it compared to the original Gaiden game, it's pretty damn good.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Like, why does he keep insisting that Edelgard is responsible for the Duscur Regicide attempt and feels like he has to revenge his family by killing her specifically? I must have missed something, but he insists he saw her there, when she insists that she had nothing to do with that - and it doesn't make sense for her to lie about stuff like this at this point, no?
Why is he going around senselessly killing people now, did he just snap? I guess he just snapped.

He insists that Edelgard was involved because, as far as he's seen, the Flame Emperor was leading/colluding with the people he and Byleth overheard admitting to the regicide. Dimitri is consumed by revenge, clinging to the past, so after Kronya and Solon are killed, the Flame Emperor — Edelgard — is more or less his last lead.

So it makes some sense. Don't get me wrong though, while I think it's effective enough, it's still pretty anime. If Edelgard bothered to explain beyond resigned sighs and halfhearted denials, it might've been averted. But — and I haven't played BE yet, so this is conjecture — she's not interested, since her ultimate goal is to unite Fodlan anyway, which means killing Dimitri.

As for why Dimitri goes around killing people after escaping execution... well, it's been pretty clear from his continual snaps (and Felix's supports) pre-skip that he's unhinged with violent tendencies. Once he loses his kingdom and power, all he has is his ill-informed grudge against Edelgard.

The writing for him is a bit spotty in my opinion. For example, that Felix suddenly was scared of him was completely nonsensical.

Felix before timeskip:
"Stay away from Dimitri, he has a beast slumbering inside of him. The dude is dead to me."

Felix after timeskip:
"What happened to Dimitri, he is a beast suddenly. D: Please help my bestest childhood friend, teacher!"

This, I think, makes perfect sense. Felix really does care about Dimitri, he just refuses to express that openly because he's disturbed by the "beast" within him. That only appeared occasionally pre-skip, but post-skip he's on an entirely different level — he really is an animal — and that takes Felix off guard. Because, deep down, he cares about him... which is why he petitions Byleth to help.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Echoes was just "reinforcement spam on empty maps, the game, PS: Make everyone a bow knight and you're golden", Fates had way better maps and valid unit diversity (at least Conquest did, Birthright was just "deploy Ryoma for instant win").
How much more people enjoyed Echoes over Fates just goes to show how much story and world building make people forgive your lackluster gameplay elements.
Which is exactly why people are not completely turned off by the busywork that is the monastery in this game, it's because the get fed yummy bits of lore and fun interactions inbetween.

Its funny how, re flame emperor post ch 11 any route

the main lord of your house conviniently dissapearing whenever the flame emperor is involved is a red herring on all but one route. I wonder if the devs just decided it was easier to keep the pre time skip events the same in all routes and it ended up like that

I'm glad I picked Blue Lions first, I think that would really be a different experience if I had played Black Eagles first and then the other routes.

Disclaimer When you quoted the text I put in spoiler tags it became readable, can you fix it?

Thanks for the reply, I do think this is very badly executed in the game however. :L

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Echoes was just "reinforcement spam on empty maps, the game, PS: Make everyone a bow knight and you're golden", Fates had way better maps and valid unit diversity (at least Conquest did, Birthright was just "deploy Ryoma for instant win").
How much more people enjoyed Echoes over Fates just goes to show how much story and world building make people forgive your lackluster gameplay elements.
Which is exactly why people are not completely turned off by the busywork that is the monastery in this game, it's because the get fed yummy bits of lore and fun interactions inbetween.

Exactly. Ideally, both are optimal, but the lore and interaction improvements are what bring in all the folks!

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
So what are you all's thoughts on Cyril? I just recruited him during chapter 5 and I'm debating whether or not to put him on my team. How has he done for you?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just lost Ferdinand 40 minutes into a battle because I was being a cocky dumbass and now I have to restart because I'm out of Divine Pulse charges.That'll learn me.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
surprised so many people are making Petra a thief/assassin, she seems like a natural wyvern rider to me

Because she is an absolute beast as an assassin. Have her win the Dance and she gets an extra +20 to avo as well for wielding a sword. She also becomes a crit master once enemies are down a certain amount of HP.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished ch8 on hard and I've fully gone past the point where now I just steamroll everything without thinking, even the DK. Lunatic can't come soon enough!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The game has faced with me with a pivotal moment of choice so intense I have had to immediately put the switch into sleep mode, brew myself a cuppa and consider where my values lie.
David Cage WISHES he could get this response from me.

Like fuuuuuuuuck

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I've encountered 2 bugs so far.

1. Some doors just won't open, I either have to wait a while or go back a bit and then return.

2. When you talk to someone sometimes the portrait won't show up or it takes a while to appear.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So what are you all's thoughts on Cyril? I just recruited him during chapter 5 and I'm debating whether or not to put him on my team. How has he done for you?

I don't like him that much. He's a little too squishy for a physical attacker for my tastes. I'm still kinda using him because he's pretty easy to turn into a Wyvern Rider, and having another cheap flier on the team isn't a bad thing.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

1. Some doors just won't open, I either have to wait a while or go back a bit and then return.

2. When you talk to someone sometimes the portrait won't show up or it takes a while to appear.

Game does the trick of not opening doors while it loads the area, it even shows the crest logo on the side to indicate loading but its not clear.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017

1. If you're talking about in the monastery, I think it's the game's (not so seamless) method of loading live assets, much like when the Chapel gates take forever to open.

2. Same. I've run into this a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.