• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Oh right, forgot about him because he just appeared in the monastery for me at chapter 5.

So +60 skill for 3 activity points, per exploration. Can be even more if one spend some renown on the saint statues.

I think pushing Byleth's skill levels can be done pretty easy, if you're not into recruiting everyone and spending activity points for meals, tea parties and so on.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
So i'm on chapter 10 black Eagles route and without spoiling too much is my theory on who the flame emperor right.

I think they are Edelgard. First, even altered you can tell the voice belongs to a woman. Second, you find out Edelgard also bares the Crest of Flames hence the name Flame Emperor. Third, in her supports she says her father conducted experiments on her to get the crest to appear. Coincidentally the Flame Emperor also seems to of been "created" as well. Additionally, Flame Emperor unlike the other villains is disgusted by the behaviour committed by Solon and his allies showing they have a sense of morality and justice like Edelgard. Finally, the moment they confront you they ask you join them just like how Edelgard did in the prologue.

Really not sure how to answer this without spoiling it, lol. All I'll say is, I am on Blue Lions route, and I had a very different theory about this for the longest time. You're not too far away from the actual reveal in the story by the way, just keep playing a bit more.

Dimitri needs sword? I saw some class guide and none of his unique classes require sword though? At least according to the guide--it says "obtains automatically...", and none of them has specific sword class skill also. The guide is wrong then?

Actually, you're right and I'm wrong. I forgot that "thing" happens and he gets the next lord class anyway. Just got to that point in the story last night.
I just remembered looking at advanced classes and thinking "oh no, he needs sword proficiency to become a Great Lord? Poop."

I'm training Felix to become a Mortal Savant personally, he's just perfect for it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only on Chapter 5. I don't even have access to most classes yet.

I see Lysithea has a sword talent. Can Gremory use swords?

Well ... any class can, but Gremory has no proficiency. Mortal Savant has proficiency, in addition to Reason proficiency. Gremory is basically a magical uber nuke, so there no real need to use a sword there ... i think that class also has dire Str growth.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Also, is Authority a good skill to level up? It seems like the consensus is not really? Hmmm.

I neglected it for the longest time and now am full of regrets.
Paralogues and quests give you access to some great Battalions, but you need Authority rank B to use them.
Try to get it to B at least.
(My biggest issue is the lack of flying unit battalions, I only have one of the high level ones but my Ingrid is nowhere near authority rank B.)

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I neglected it for the longest time and now am full of regrets.
Paralogues and quests give you access to some great Battalions, but you need Authority rank B to use them.
Try to get it to B at least.
(My biggest issue is the lack of flying unit battalions, I only have one of the high level ones but my Ingrid is nowhere near authority rank B.)

Ohoh, nice info, thanks.

I'm still I think at the beginning, after the 1st fog fight? So I should still have time to make everyone focus on everything, right...? Hahah.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Ohoh, nice info, thanks.

I'm still I think at the beginning, after the 1st fog fight? So I should still have time to make everyone focus on everything, right...? Hahah.

That will be hard without grinding those "free" maps on normal. Also the advanced and master classes can have pretty steep requirements, trying to give units a direction in terms of skills is advised, i'd say.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Adjutants can randomly add small attacks onto the end of your own if they're attack types, but it's not guaranteed and not very obvious even when it does happen.

Petra saved my ass with this when I didn't pull off a 50% crit. Definitely best exchange student I've had so far

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
That will be hard without grinding those "free" maps on normal. Also the advanced and master classes can have pretty steep requirements, trying to give units a direction in terms of skills is advised, i'd say.

i mean not everything like everything, but if I think I make a mistake on focusing on the wrong thing for goals and whatnot then I should still have time to course correct, yeah? Or am I too late for that....?

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to play about 2 hours of this last night (Pro tip, if you want to have any time for games then don't have kids) and I just love the feel of the game. Spent a good while just wandering around the monastery just talking to people, doing the few quests they give you, etc. I'm really excited to get stuck in, haven't been drawn in like this for a long while.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Can you a rank students with more than one other partner?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
i mean not everything like everything, but if I think I make a mistake on focusing on the wrong thing for goals and whatnot then I should still have time to course correct, yeah? Or am I too late for that....?

No, not at all. Even if you think you made a "mistake" ... for example by having Mercedes learn Lances, this can be useful if you go for Holy Knight as her master class. ^^

Even building up a units unfavorable skill, for example Faith on Dorothea can work out. In that case, she has a budding talent (3 star icon next to the skill) that will be unlocked if you train her in that skill.

In the end, you can make some "un-optimized" units, though you can't outright fuck up. The RNG for the stat-growth at level up can do that for you, though. ;D

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
No, not at all. Even if you think you made a "mistake" ... for example by having Mercedes learn Lances, this can be useful if you go for Holy Knight as her master class. ^^

Even building up a units unfavorable skill, for example Faith on Dorothea can work out. In that case, she has a budding talent (3 star icon next to the skill) that will be unlocked if you train her in that skill.

In the end, you can make some "un-optimized" units, though you can't outright fuck up. The RNG for the stat-growth at level up can do that for you, though. ;D

Nice X)

I need to make some course correction though, Like for example I make Ashe focus on Axe and Bows since I don't know that the end game Master bow class actually requiring Lance and Riding, lol.

Sylvain though, hmmmmmmmmm, either Holy/Dark Knight or Wyvern Lord, I need to make a decision quick so I can learn the right thing to focus.

Felix, I'm gonna be stubborn and make him a War Master instead going with Mortal Savant like everyone else, hahaha. Let see how this goes.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

Lol, I love Linhardt.

He has my favourite post-skip design too. Thanks for letting me recruit you on the last possible day, you doofus. (jk, you're the best Linhardt.)
I'm definitely going for his male romance on my Black Eagle route.

What does the convoy option do?

Only Byleth and units next to Byleth can use this. It lets you access your storage, very helpful if weapons break or your Byleth is bored with nothing to do in a battle and wants to chuck some Golden Apples or other stat items.
(I honestly haven't figured out how to use these stat up items outside of battle, so I feed everything to Byleth whenever they can't attack or heal anyone in battle, since they are the only unit I'll always have access to I figured.)

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I made her a Mortal Savant and she's... not as good as she was a Warlock tbh.

Generally I think people need to overcome this thought that Master Classes are strict upgrades over Advanced Classes. This doesn't really apply to all the classes.

E.g. I think Warlock, Bishop & Assassin are all perfectly well suited for endgame and you don't NEED to make a Mortal Savant or Gremory out of those characters. Assassins you'd have to completely rebuild to make a Falcon Knight and it's perfectly suited for endgame, the stats-boost of the Master Classes over Advanced is marginal at most.

The exceptions are the strict-improvement Master Classes, like:

Wyvern Rider -> Wyvern Knight
Fortress Knight -> Great Knight

(and arguably Bow Knight over Sniper)

It's kind of weird how some classes have very clear progression through all the levels (Lance-Axe-Heavy the most obvious one, having a class at every level), some skip Advanced (Pegasus -> Falcon) and some don't get a Master class at all (Thief-Assassin).

The worst is Warrior & Grappler that just kind of get meshed together into War Master which is a lateral move... wish they had their own specialized Master-Level

Yeah that's something I've been realizing. My Mercedes just passed the Holy Knight exam but I haven't actually switched her over from Bishop because like... she doesn't really need White Tomefaire? I'd rather just keep the abilities she already has.

It's definitely a bit frustrating that there so much diversity in intermediate + advanced classes, but they all end up smushed together at the master level.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Well ... any class can, but Gremory has no proficiency. Mortal Savant has proficiency, in addition to Reason proficiency. Gremory is basically a magical uber nuke, so there no real need to use a sword there ... i think that class also has dire Str growth.

I really, really need to wrap my head around the weapon freedom. I constantly forget you can use any weapon you want. I still find myself sticking to the "classic" loadouts associated with classes.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Only Byleth and units next to Byleth can use this. It lets you access your storage, very helpful if weapons break or your Byleth is bored with nothing to do in a battle and wants to chuck some Golden Apples or other stat items.
(I honestly haven't figured out how to use these stat up items outside of battle, so I feed everything to Byleth whenever they can't attack or heal anyone in battle, since they are the only unit I'll always have access to I figured.)

Put the item in someone's inventory, select it there and choose "use".

The inventory system is... Let's just say it could be a bit better.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017

While you can access your inventory at the monastery, the easiest way is probably to select the Item during pre-battle mangement and pick Use.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Put the item in someone's inventory, select it there and choose "use".

The inventory system is... Let's just say it could be a bit better.

Everyone has so much stuff in their inventory at all times tough... oh, I see now, you can do that before battle...
While you can access your inventory at the monastery, the easiest way is probably to select the Item during pre-battle mangement and pick Use.

Yeah, I didn't check this.
Fvck it, I'm still feeding everything to Byleth.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone has so much stuff in their inventory at all times tough... oh, I see now, you can do that before battle...

Yeah, I mean, I have to unequip weapons or healing items often, then "equip" the stat up item, use it, then re-requip the gear. The whole process is just absurd.

At one point I kept dumping the stat items on characters who had almost empty inventories cause the inventory is just such a goddamn pain to use lmao. Now I keep one slot empty for Byleth and just feed him everything.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
Bleh I've hit B rank with like 3 people from other houses and none of them have asked to come join the class yet. It's at least been a few weeks. Wonder if I should just raise my skills or if they'll come eventually?
wait if I get them up to b rank I don't have to get their requirements up as high as normal?

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
wait if I get them up to b rank I don't have to get their requirements up as high as normal?

Exactly, most requirements drop to D or even E+ once you saw the B support.
Gift the shit out of people you want to recruit and keep inviting them out for tea etc.
You still need at least E+ in their preferred proficiency though.

What's the best use of adjutants? I just started messing with it.

I just use it to build supports and level the weaker units as my reserve team - I've not seen any adjutants help with attacking yet as some others said, they boost ATK, DEF and healing capacities though, depending on character.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
How is brawling supposed to work?

Like, the only one I have is Caspar and I thought he was fine cause I babied him to get his levels ... So I thought he was fine until I put him in a reg brawl tourney that her barely won cause he hits soft af. Then I noticed his stats were trash compared to the Womanizer dude I recruited who was lower level. So I had him sidelined to make room. But now I see punchy bad guys and they ... do next to nothing compared to the axes and swords. Legit no DMG

So what's the deal? is it just a trash weapon/ style of fighting? Or did they just wrap all of it's power up in being able to self heal 50% of your HP?
That self heal makes me want to have someone with a high brawler mastery but IDK if I'm gonna have to recruit someone else ore strike with my lil punchy boi.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
27 hours in.
After the Sothis paralogue, i thought the game began to be really easy with a rushing strategy working even on hard/classic... and then i hit chapter 13.
Holy mackerel at that difficulty spike directly after the timeskip. Enemies started once more kicking my ass unless i positioned my units perfectly, especially with my heavy hitters having only their old weapons before the timeskip that could not oneshot anymore.
Having to dodge every single archer with Claude Wyvern and Hilda, my main powerhouse that never missed, now having a 40 to 60 hit rate, made me realise the game has decided to stop fucking around, at the very least for this chapter.

Ummm why dodge the archers? I just unmounted to ger rid of the bow weakness until they were dealt with

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is the worst lol I'm constantly asking myself "can I use x weapon with y class?"

It's so weird without the weapon triangle too. I know you can unlock the breaker/faire skills later on which sort of imitate the triangle but it's so weird to just, like, put swords on everything and be fine. I miss the weapon/class restrictions. I think, so far, there is too much unit freedom. Some people probably like that a lot because you can make anybody anything but I liked picking and choosing my units based on their strengths and limitations.

But I'm also only on Chapter 5 so what do I know. The first boss killed four of my attack in one hit. I am not fit to evaluate this game yet.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird without the weapon triangle too. I know you can unlock the breaker/faire skills later on which sort of imitate the triangle but it's so weird to just, like, put swords on everything and be fine. I miss the weapon/class restrictions. I think, so far, there is too much unit freedom. Some people probably like that a lot because you can make anybody anything but I liked picking and choosing my units based on their strengths and limitations.

But I'm also only on Chapter 5 so what do I know. The first boss killed four of my attack in one hit. I am not fit to evaluate this game yet.

I don't know how it was in earlier FE games, but yeah, there's definitely a bit too much freedom. Right now I could technically give my archers/snipers swords or lances and they'd be perfectly fine.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017

Restrictions this time is based more on characters than classes. Individual proficiencies are super important because they're the main method to unlock better classes, so putting someone weak in swords on swords would mean they'd take longer to unlock their full potential. Furthermore, each character has their unique spell and ability pools, so making a person weak in Reason a mage would just limit their usefulness on the battlefield. Unfortunately a lot this is hidden from the game, and you only know if you search outside resources.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Restrictions this time is based more on characters than classes. Individual proficiencies are super important because they're the main method to unlock better classes, so putting someone weak in swords on swords would mean they'd take longer to unlock their full potential. Furthermore, each character has their unique spell and ability pools, so making a person weak in Reason a mage would just limit their usefulness on the battlefield. Unfortunately a lot this is hidden from the game, and you only know if you search outside resources.

Yeah, no kidding, and a lot of the documentation right now is incomplete or even bad. Don't even look for "tier lists". There's no rhyme or reason to them at all. But it's getting better for sure.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I just started and had no idea any character could use any weapon. That's kinda crazy.... Only done the first two fights and just assumed everyone had training swords because it was some sort of class neutral weapon given how gimpy it was. Not sure how I feel about that yet, but at least it'll be fun to experiment with.

As for initial impressions - I didn't watch too much coverage of the game, so just how open and in depth the monastery is surprised me. I mean, a fishing minigame in an FE? Right now it almost feels like a sequel to Tokyo Mirage Sessions where we go back to the Fire Emblem world.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah, no kidding, and a lot of the documentation right now is incomplete or even bad. Don't even look for "tier lists". There's no rhyme or reason to them at all. But it's getting better for sure.

It's weird, on the one hand it's cool to discover all these things on your own and watch your students succeed or fail by your actions. On the other hand it's incredibly frustrating especially if you're playing hard/classic to realize how inefficient you've made your army.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just use it to build supports and level the weaker units as my reserve team - I've not seen any adjutants help with attacking yet as some others said, they boost ATK, DEF and healing capacities though, depending on character.

If you have a healer equipped as a adjutant, they can heal you when you're low on health. Seen it happen in several battles. I think it only happens once though (per map), could be wrong

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Post timeskip black eagles got glowups Goddamn. Ferdinand's 90s anime hairstyle makes me want to use him again. Hubert, Linhardt, Caspar and Dorothea all look like ballers. I'm really down on Bernie sadly. I really liked the scruffy hair.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how it was in earlier FE games, but yeah, there's definitely a bit too much freedom. Right now I could technically give my archers/snipers swords or lances and they'd be perfectly fine.

You could guve them lances but classes that are specialized in using lances will have shit like Lancefairy, Axebreaker, etc to make them better than other clases using lances. And its a big investment to get them to the point they can use B or A rank weapons for characters which unlocked classes or growths arent the best suited for said weapon.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I really liked Caspar's c-rank support with Byleth
seeing someone reprimand the hot blooded student for not listing to their teacher was not what I'm used to seeing in FE

Status
Not open for further replies.