• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Curious about something now that I'm post timeskip:

if I don't actually NEED to kill former students in battle to complete the objective, does letting them live affect the story down the line? Should I be avoiding killing them, or should they taste steel

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting reason high as the protagonist was blegh. Had to spend some days getting tutored to D so I could finally learn a spell to use. Same for riding/heavy armor/faith, the initial levels are a slog but then you unlock the class and the grinding starts.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Curious about something now that I'm post timeskip:

if I don't actually NEED to kill former students in battle to complete the objective, does letting them live affect the story down the line? Should I be avoiding killing them, or should they taste steel
Far as I could tell it doesn't matter at all. Do as you wish

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man it's so refreshing to have a good FE game without having to deal with the nonsense that is child characters.

Keep pushing for gay options yall, it should deter IS from doing child characters ever again.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Does anyone know the name of the song that plays in Paralogue battles? The one with the sorta techno driving beat to it. I've been trying to find it but don't really want to go through OSTs on YouTube at the risk of spoilers.

Been very pleasantly surprised by the amount of variety in the soundtrack.
I was wondering the same thing, I was going through the music test in the main menu but I couldn't find it there, if anyone could help me I'd love them.
Tempest of Seasons (Rain)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Man it's so refreshing to have a good FE game without having to deal with the nonsense that is child characters.

Keep pushing for gay options yall, it should deter IS from doing child characters ever again.
The presence of one won't exclude the other.

Also, that's a shallow goddamn reason for wanting gay romance.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Was the timeskip shown in trailers? Or was it leaked earlier? Just asking cuz Ive known for months thered be one, but don't remember how I initially found out.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I saw someone saying that Byleth's influence tames that faction's worst behaviors/impulses which I liked a lot.
As far as I've seen so far (chapter 13, Edelgard), that's very true. Can't wait to see it from the other perspectives, don't know whether to do the BE church route or one of the other two next, which is a good thing, I so rarely replay games but here i want all the lore now!

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, having a job allowed me to buy FETH in the first place.

On the other, I can't play FETH as much as I want because of said job.

Hmm.....

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Child characters are great. They just need to be handled better than how Fates did it.

Gay options should be present because of representation.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got to the time skip and I can't believe you just
sleep for the full five years
. I am enjoying this story a fair bit, more than other fire emblems, but talk about some fucking hack lazy writing on that front.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
whichever route you pick, you get more explanation and perspective to make the choice seem reasonable, with the other factions becoming less reasonable. You are 'enlightened' I suppose :D Stand with Edelgard and your team sees Dimitri's rabble as literally puppets of a monstrous, totalitarian church keeping humanity in the chains of crests, with him as a zealot. Stand against her, and she's an evil empress being thwarted by plucky heroes who also address the problems within. I really like this approach, it makes all four routes interesting and heroic in their own way, everybody is the hero of their own story and either a nuisance, a puppet or a monster to the others. They deliberately don't give you the full picture on any one route, and it's that ease of then saying 'well the game didn't tell me otherwise, I guess the enemy are just doing it because they are evil/deluded then' that makes the player seem both correct and a good influence on each choice.

I'm not gonna read all that because spoilers but it's good to see it makes each choice look good on paper.

I feel ya. I stared at the screen for some time instead of chosing. In the end, I'm actually happy with what I went. The story is really engaging.

Yeah I'm loving it. Even if it sucks right now lol.

Without saying what happens, I'll say that I was satisfied with my choice of

Siding with Edelgard

Yeah I did the same

And it feels alright so far? Idk things are too happy right now... I question everything.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Beat the Dark Knight on hard in 2 tries! I had exact exact lethal with 2 mages, 1 archer, 2 melees and 2 melee gambits. I just had to situate everyone such that he had a low chance to hit the people he could double and Petra was speedy enough to not get doubled. Gambits for something like 9 total chip damage and Edelgard finishing with 14 so she doesn't get countered either.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Child characters are great. They just need to be handled better than how Fates did it.

Gay options should be present because of representation.

Can you imagine a Three Houses style game where the first half is recruiting characters and supports and all the management stuff, and then the second half after time skip is all the kids and the now adults are the professors? That'd rock.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting point for the discussion "should you recruit everyone or not", is that post timeskip every single one of your students can teach you skills makes it a lot easier to get Byleth's skill ranks up in the back half, compared to when you were relying on a handful of church staff members who could only train you once a week, and most wouldn't have the skill you wanted.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So out of curiosity, for some of the 'Turn into 'Named' weapon' rust weapons you get from killing the beasts, do you have to grind on the available ones (be it paralogues, rare battle missions, etc..) and break their 'shield' squares to get the crafting mats?

I've had the Parthenon(sp) bow since like....chapter 5, but haven't even found 1 of the crafting mats for it and am on chapter 9.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you have the option to Explore or Battle, is it always better to Explore?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
If you have the option to Explore or Battle, is it always better to Explore?

It depends what you are trying to do. I explored much more often that combat, though I was recruiting every single person so that was needed. You want to do the paralogues and quests out of battle at the very least.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
there was a leak first, then confirmed by the e3 2019 trailer
Okay thanks. When I heard about it at the time, I was only mildly interested in the game and didn't care much. Now that I'm 20hrs in and hooked I'm really disappointed I knew, but knowing that it was in prerelease trailers mitigates that for some reason lol

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over how strong Bernie is. A personal skill where she does more damage after taking the smallest nick of damage. A crest that can grant her an extra attack. Plus her hidden talent. She was tearing through anyone foolish enough to target her.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It depends what you are trying to do. I explored much more often that combat, though I was recruiting every single person so that was needed. You want to do the paralogues and quests out of battle at the very least.
No - battle is the only way to level up. Explore if there's an event, you're worried about overleveling, or you need to juice Motivation. Always battle if you've got a quest or a paralogue.
It depends on how many paralogue there are for me since I can grind with free battles
Ok, it sounds like I should do a mix, then. I'm on Hard Mode btw.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Can you imagine a Three Houses style game where the first half is recruiting characters and supports and all the management stuff, and then the second half after time skip is all the kids and the now adults are the professors? That'd rock.
What if there was a game where you play with Gen 1 characters, then a 15+ year time skip happens and you play as the kids of said characters....

Cmon IntSys... Give me Genealogy.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What if there was a game where you play with Gen 1 characters, then a 15+ year time skip happens and you play as the kids of said characters....

Cmon IntSys... Give me Genealogy.
There's so many great things they could do with Genealogy. Just using a less crazy support system would be good. Toss all the 3H combat improvements in there and oh lordy.

(From what I've heard, anyway).

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am 22 hours in and only on Chapter 10. They might not be kidding about the length unless the post time skip stuff has less padding.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Kaga Emblem Fans: "The modern FE games suck and no one can write any good lore these days."

Koei Tecmo: "Hold my sake."

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am 22 hours in and only on Chapter 10. They might not be kidding about the length unless the post time skip stuff has less padding.

Yeah I'm at 40 hours and I'm on Chapter 12 lol

Chapter 12 Black Eagles
Not sure how to tag these spoilers now lol

Black Eagles strike force is a stupid name btw

I liked talking to the students. Everyone justified it in their own way.

Bermie: "Hubert got my Dad's title stripped from him"

Wow Best route? Best route.

Wtf I love Hubert now.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll keep this partnership for future entries... I hope so.
Given the critical and apparent commercial response, it seems like an arrangement that they should be eager to keep. IntSys and the Kou Shibusawa team ended up a perfect match for Fire Emblem.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever they did with this game is boss. I am eating it all up. Though let's see how I feel in 80hrs. I already can't wait to try another house after I've fully grokked the mechanics.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I really need to try to just let go and accept that I cannot do everything. This is so against my playstyle. I have to break all my gaming habits.

The only game with a time limit I've ever played is Majora's Mask which, despite the time limit, allows you to repeat and perfect all your actions to see everything there is to be seen. I am the kind of person who completes all the available side content before advancing a story mission. It is killing me to suddenly hit end of month and paralogues are inaccessible. I already restarted once to maximize and optimize the amount of things I can get done and still feel so rushed.

But that's just the kind of game this is so I must adapt.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on how long each route is? Only info I can find is 18 chapters, but not sure if that is one route or all of them.

Seems like post-skip is comparatively short if so.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I really need to try to just let go and accept that I cannot do everything. This is so against my playstyle. I have to break all my gaming habits.

The only game with a time limit I've ever played is Majora's Mask which, despite the time limit, allows you to repeat and perfect all your actions to see everything there is to be seen. I am the kind of person who completes all the available side content before advancing a story mission. It is killing me to suddenly hit end of month and paralogues are inaccessible. I already restarted once to maximize and optimize the amount of things I can get done and still feel so rushed.

But that's just the kind of game this is so I must adapt.
There's two things I tell myself to move past it.
1) There's always the 2nd playthrough (even if I don't do it 99% of the time).
2) I'm forging my own slice of the story. My combination of misses and hits crafts my own unique snowflake of a story (even if it's unlikely to be true ha!)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
There's two things I tell myself to move past it.
1) There's always the 2nd playthrough (even if I don't do it 99% of the time).
2) I'm forging my own slice of the story. My combination of misses and hits crafts my own unique snowflake of a story (even if it's unlikely to be true ha!)

1. I will definitely play every story path. I slogged through all three versions of Fates, which was like playing three bad Fire Emblems in a row, so if I can do that I can definitely do this.

2. What story is worth telling if it's not absolutely perfect? N A R R A T I V E M I N M A X I N G

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Kaga Emblem Fans: "The modern FE games suck and no one can write any good lore these days."

Koei Tecmo: "Hold my sake."
I wonder if they'll keep this partnership for future entries... I hope so.
Fingers crossed - cross company collaborations are always hard to maintain, since the structures aren't really in place to maintain it.

If they don't keep up the partnership, I hope IS is at least taking a long look at what worked here and why.

Oct 25, 2017
I know the term wolf in sheeps clothing, but is there another term that differentiates characters like Rhea, I've seen characters like her in a few other games and honestly they scare the fuck out me the closer they get to you.

Literally had to put the game down last after chapter 11 because that was waaay too close with that sort of "kindness".

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
What's the max number of units you can bring into battle? Trying to figure out how many characters to focus on.

Status
Not open for further replies.