• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
what the alternate and normal route for BE are anyways
i thought the route with Edelgard was the main route but it seems that its actually the alternate and you have to do stuff to get there? with the default one being the church one?

SuperJohnny

Alt account
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I'm in chapter 10 I think (January). I seriously hope the Flame Emperor isn't
Edelgard
It would be too obvious.
1) She has the crest of FLAMES
2) When the Flame Emperor appears she is always nowhere to be found

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think turning people into literal demons is a justifiable course of action chief. Meanwhile Claude over here just trying to tear down social and geographical barriers and bring the world together to promote unity. It's pretty black and white. And idk about Dimitri who gives a shit he probably wants the status quo.

Nd0Wpna.jpg

Meanwhile the god is over here just fighting to end racism and bring actual peace.

She was not the one doing that. That's her uncle and his allies, who are doing their own schemes and that she tolerates until she can unite Fodlan and take out the church. She plans to go after them once that is done.

She just had to work with them. She did not want them to do that, which she says as Flame Emperor after the old dude made that town go nuts.

If you join her, you don't see or hear her use a single monster. But see plenty of the uncle pulling shit in every route

Claude of course is the best goal, but a naive one as it does not solve everything. As I said. Each route solves one issue, but not the underlying ones elsewhere

But I guess it's how you look at it

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
what the alternate and normal route for BE are anyways
i thought the route with Edelgard was the main route but it seems that its actually the alternate and you have to do stuff to get there? with the default one being the church one?
church route is default. To get the second route(follow edelgard) you need to do a few things. Get her support with Byleth to at least c-rank, talk to her in the monastery on 2/8 and explore with her, then save her

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
So I'm trying to recruit Ferdinand (have been bulding my stats and such) and it says there is a support conversation available between him and Byleth, but when I click on it, it says "It will take some time before you can deepen this bond." Am I missing something?

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to recruit Ferdinand (have been bulding my stats and such) and it says there is a support conversation available between him and Byleth, but when I click on it, it says "It will take some time before you can deepen this bond." Am I missing something?

You have to wait until some story passes

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I need a little advice . I am at the part where i have to choose a house and I am really torn between blue lions and black eagles. My heart says blue lions because I like the design of Dimitri but in most of the reviews I've seen they went with BE . am I missing much by not choosing BE for my first play through ? No spoilers please.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need a little advice . I am at the part where i have to choose a house and I am really torn between blue lions and black eagles. My heart says blue lions because I like the design of Dimitri but in most of the reviews I've seen they went with BE . am I missing much by not choosing BE for my first play through ? No spoilers please.

Just pick whoever. I went with Golden Deer because Claude made the best first impression, but I intend to play all three Houses anyway.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For people in the Blue Lions, what did you set Sylvain up as? He's been all over the place for me, I just upgraded him into a Brigand but I'm not even sure I like that. Thinking about reclassing him back and seeing what happens if I send him on a more magical route. Mostly because every time I've had to use Divine Pulse it's because Sylvain got fucked up by a magic user.
I have him as a great knight at the moment because I wanted one and he was the best fit lol

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet

Each house has their own storyline, so you'll have to play both if you want to see the whole thing. I personally chose the Blue Lions and am enjoying their House interactions, so I think if you like Dimitri you should just go for it.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
Just finished chapter 11...

Well was not expecting the Edelgard heel turn. Goodbye her and Hubert then? Gonna work on getting Lysithea over pronto, just in case I'm permanently down a mage

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I insist guys, if I'm F!Byleth I can recruit Sylvain from moment zero or do I still need to bring his support up?

preta

Oct 25, 2017
whys that? Think im going the alternate route first since it seems like more interesting story
I haven't gotten that far myself, but I've heard from others who are much further along that BE/BL > the other of BE/BL > GD > BE alt is the most natural story progression in terms of what's addressed in each route, even if they aren't canon to each other. BE alt doesn't seem to really work well as a first route.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So, now that people got a feel on the game's difficulty, how is it? Is Normal really that easy? Easier than Awakening's Normal?

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Retried the protect Rhea paralogue with upgraded units and torches and what a difference. Paladin Leonie destroyed them.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten that far myself, but I've heard from others who are much further along that BE/BL > the other of BE/BL > GD > BE alt is the most natural story progression in terms of what's addressed in each route, even if they aren't canon to each other.

yeah the church route is the canon because the alternate route you have to do certain things.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Should I wait for them to maximize the starter class before moving to the following? Is it worth it to maximize classes before moving on?

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Should I wait for them to maximize the starter class before moving to the following? Is it worth it to maximize classes before moving on?
You get an equip-able skill when you master a class. If by starter classes you mean commoner or noble, then the skill you get is +5 HP. Not the biggest deal. You get a lot of good skill as you progress weapon ranks and classes, and you can only equip 5 skills so it's completely your call.

I will say the longer you take to master a class past the level requirement to upgrade to the next class then makes mastering the next class eat up more time from getting to the class after that. Something to keep in mind if you want to master later classes.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Man, all the minor busywork tasks really add up and even when you're trying to go through the motions as fast as possible, you still end up spending considerable amount of time in the monastery, just doing the same things over and over again. If I'm gonna do NG+ (and NG++, and NG+++) playthrough(s), I'm definitely going to be making use of the automation options like automatic instruction, skipping most of the NPC dialogue (since a lot of it is likely identical between routes) and lost item stuff, etc.

I really enjoyed the monastery loop initially, but it's gotten rote quite fast. It's always the same meaningless snippets of dialogue during meals/choir/etc., same harvesting/planting, same fishing, same shopping/forging/replenishing/repairing, same, same, same. I still enjoy the monthly NPC dialogue and quests for sure so I still look forward to the first free day of a given month, but spending multiple free days a month on the monastery stuff seems like a recipe for a burnout since nothing ever changes and there's very little meaningful content to see - which essentially turns the monastery stuff into repetitive min-maxing - so I think I'll stick to boring ol' seminars for the non-battle free days from now on.

zebetite

Oct 25, 2017
Mississauga, ON
I've definitely recruited people (Mercedes - MAG & Bow, most recently) by B rank support, and I have never trained bow at all. I do send a couple more gifts, and it seems it takes about a month for them to ask to join. Not sure entirely about the requirements.

counter anecdote: I wanted to swipe Ashe, got his support to B, and he still refused when I asked. Loaded a save, got him to B, used faculty training to boost the skill he wanted to the next rank. He joined when I asked

I think a combination of the stat they value and the skill they value add up in some way to a combined "will they join" threshold and that would cover people still getting recruits with literal E ranks. That or it's a dice roll that gets more likely as you increase the skills/support

Oct 25, 2017
I'm typically doing one optional battle in hard mode (the higher level one of the choices). I assume this will be roughly enough to stay at level?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, all the minor busywork tasks really add up and even when you're trying to go through the motions as fast as possible, you still end up spending considerable amount of time in the monastery, just doing the same things over and over again. If I'm gonna do NG+ (and NG++, and NG+++) playthrough(s), I'm definitely going to be making use of the automation options like automatic instruction, skipping most of the NPC dialogue (since a lot of it is likely identical between routes) and lost item stuff, etc.

I really enjoyed the monastery loop initially, but it's gotten rote quite fast. It's always the same meaningless snippets of dialogue during meals/choir/etc., same harvesting/planting, same fishing, same shopping/forging/replenishing/repairing, same, same, same. I still enjoy the monthly NPC dialogue and quests for sure so I still look forward to the first free day of a given month, but spending multiple free days a month on the monastery stuff seems like a recipe for a burnout since nothing ever changes and there's very little meaningful content to see so I think I'll stick to boring ol' seminars for the non-battle free days from now on.
You really don't need to and shouldn't be spending multiple days on exploration each month. There's very little tangible gain to doing so other than spamming gifts and meals and shit to try and raise support levels or REALLY trying to min-max motivation which is wholly unnecessary.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't gotten that far myself, but I've heard from others who are much further along that BE/BL > the other of BE/BL > GD > BE alt is the most natural story progression in terms of what's addressed in each route, even if they aren't canon to each other. BE alt doesn't seem to really work well as a first route.

That's my plan.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
You get an equip-able skill when you master a class. If by starter classes you mean commoner or noble, then the skill you get is +5 HP. Not the biggest deal. You get a lot of good skill as you progress weapon ranks and classes, and you can only equip 5 skills so it's completely your call.

I will say the longer you take to master a class past the level requirement to upgrade to the next class then makes mastering the next class eat up more time from getting to the class after that. Something to keep in mind if you want to master later classes.
Very helpful, thank you!

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my first playthrough and I have a question:

Sooooo are Rhea and Seteh (and i guess Flayn) essentially hundreds of years old? And you're telling me nobody in the history of Foedlan has found it questionable why they never age?

Also does that make Flaynn technically my granddaughter? Because... awkward

Also wtf happened to Dimitri in this playthrough? First he's dead, then he's not dead, then he's dead AGAIN, then he shows up in your dream (?) and tells you something unknown, then Dedude is suddenly alive again too and doing things for dead/alive Dimitri... I'm so confused.

I went BE with my first playthrough, had the option to do alt-path but chose not to.

Felt very vindicated by that choice later

Now, to do BL or GD next is the question... I like Claude but I'd be down for Punished Dimitri.

Oct 28, 2017
Not going to recruit characters from other houses unless they come to me naturally. And now that I got a handle on how to play, and where I want to go - started over (was only in the second month). But damn I am addicted to this game

Standout units on the GD - Leonie, Marianne, and Lysithea. At least in the early going.
And Ignatz is terrible - if I were going to "replace" anyone with a recruit, it would be him, but I'm trying to push through

Ignatz is one of my best.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Where is the post that talks about how you reload to get a character to join your class based on support level? Can't find it for some reason.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Should I putting all my roster through exams for the beginner exams? Is it necessary? Or could I just wait until level 10 for the intermediate classes?

This may be a symptom of playing on normal, so I've been getting by so far with just the starter classes (save for Byleth who I made a Myrmidon).

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Ferdinand in my BE playthrough was mad OP as a Holy Knight. Dude was unphased by almost everything, I don't think he ever lost more than like 10HP in the later battles. Petra was operating on 100% critrate as an assassin which was just hilarious.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
counter anecdote: I wanted to swipe Ashe, got his support to B, and he still refused when I asked. Loaded a save, got him to B, used faculty training to boost the skill he wanted to the next rank. He joined when I asked

I think a combination of the stat they value and the skill they value add up in some way to a combined "will they join" threshold and that would cover people still getting recruits with literal E ranks. That or it's a dice roll that gets more likely as you increase the skills/support
It's not based on the letter support but the hidden support points number. You need a bit more than what is needed for a B, at least Petra didn't join me when I got her to B but did after a couple more gifts, and I had an E in riding.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Should I putting all my roster through exams for the beginner exams? Is it necessary? Or could I just wait until level 10 for the intermediate classes?

This may be a symptom of playing on normal, so I've been getting by so far with just the starter classes (save for Byleth who I made a Myrmidon).

You don't have to, but if you max out a beginner class the bonuses you get are better than the bonus for maxing out a starter class so they might be worth going for. I'd say switch for the stat bonuses.

Question for those who are post timeskip, is the monastery still the center of operations?

yes

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
After 30 hours, I finally got all the characters I wanted - just 2 from each other classes but I think I'm already at max with the characters I can pay attention to. Really tempted to get Ingrid just for her supports with my other recruits...I already have Hilda, the best pegasus rider ever so she'd probably be redundant.

My most OP characters so far: me, Hilda, Marianne, Claude, and Felix (recruit). Lysithea is up there but she's lacking in speed so not really killing enemies right now.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Played until like 2am last night, brought my Switch to work and played all through lunch, and now I'm just sitting here thinking about it until I can get home and play some more. Got its hooks in me good

Status
Not open for further replies.