• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Another question: What triggers Beginner Classes for units? For example, Bernadette is routinely my MVP (both literally and spiritually) and is one of my higher leveled units but I still haven't been able to make her an actual archer or anything. Is it Class Mastery that triggers this?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Another question: What triggers Beginner Classes for units? For example, Bernadette is routinely my MVP (both literally and spiritually) and is one of my higher leveled units but I still haven't been able to make her an actual archer or anything. Is it Class Mastery that triggers this?

Minimum Level, Minimum Stats, and Mastery of the base class if you're going for a 100% chance of passing. Otherwise you just need a minimum level AFAIK.

edit: Almost forgot you need a seal to attempt the exam too.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure archer isn't a Beginner class (level 5+). But then I'm not sure I remember all these level requirements right.

Archer should be an Intermediate class at level 10+ IIRC.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Lions welcome you with open arms, also we don't have Dorothea, who is creeping me out.
Just stay away from Felix, he has issues.

Dorothea is great! She hasn't lost an argument or disagreement yet. I love how she articulately wields her 'street smarts' and just dissects people, particularly nobles. Also her "Hail Edelgard" song is better than anything anyone in the Blue Lions is capable of.

Funny you say that, Felix is the only person I'm actively trying to recruit. He fits the sorta 'Family of Loners" vibe of the BE perfectly.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to accidentally recruit Ingrid over to the Black Eagles simply because I accidentally pressed recruit and she was down to join, I have no idea how because I maybe did one social thing for her and that was it and I sure don't have the stats she's looking for. Aimed for Mercedes got her to B and she asked to join during a lecture session. I got Annette to B as well so hopefully she just joins up on her own as well.

LasNochesGin

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
this game is so good in destroying preconceived notions about the characters. I'm seeing a lot of prejudice being destroyed when people get to know better who they are criticizing.

and House Golden Deer is clearly the good people in the game.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
consistently impressed with how engaging the world, story, characters and supports are in this compared to fates/awakening

it's actually unbelievable

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
this game is so good in destroying preconceived notions about the characters. I'm seeing a lot of prejudice being destroyed when people get to know better who they are criticizing.

I don't think I've met a single character I wasn't interested in in some way. The characterization so far has been really good. There's definitely some characters you know better when they're from your house but that's what makes the house you choose so interesting. I'm really happy with them so far.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to accidentally recruit Ingrid over to the Black Eagles simply because I accidentally pressed recruit and she was down to join, I have no idea how because I maybe did one social thing for her and that was it and I sure don't have the stats she's looking for. Aimed for Mercedes got her to B and she asked to join during a lecture session. I got Annette to B as well so hopefully she just joins up on her own as well.
Yeah, Sylvain randomly joined up with me in Black Eagles like that too, just happened to ask him and he was down. Same thing with Shamir. I'm trying to get Leonie now though.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
consistently impressed with how engaging the world, story, characters and supports are in this compared to fates/awakening

it's actually unbelievable
I don't think I've met a single character I wasn't interested in in some way. The characterization so far has been really good. There's definitely some characters you know better when they're from your house but that's what makes the house you choose so interesting. I'm really happy with them so far.
Yeah, I was really not expecting to get this invested. I was mainly just interested for the tactics battles, but wow, I am really loving the characters and the story in this game just as much.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Played all weekend.
I picked house Golden Deer, love every single one of them which is surprising because I'm actually impressed on the quality of the development.
So far I have only recruited 3 people.
I want Mercedes and Ingrid! But I guess is really hard to develop skills on a really short time.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Played all weekend.
I picked house Golden Deer, love every single one of them which is surprising because I'm actually impressed on the quality of the development.
So far I have only recruited 3 people.
I want Mercedes and Ingrid! But I guess is really hard to develop skills on a really short time.

If a character has an actual stat (Dex, Str or whatever) as a requirement, it's even more advised to build up your support level between Byleth and that character. With the RNG at level up, there's only so much you can do stat-wise. Skills are more "easy".

Still ... build up that support level to at least B.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I have a lost flask it won't let me return to Jeralt even though it says "this belongs to Jeralt." I'm not sure what's up with that. It's been in my inventory for several weeks.

That's wild because for me that one was the tutorial lost item.

From what people experience, it seems that not being able to recruit or gift Hilda could be due to the player picking the Black Eagles. She's recruitable to Blue Lions only it seems.
Not being able to recruit Claude is normal though, the house leaders (and apparently Hubert and Dedue) are off limits for everyone

I've definitely been able to return lost items and chat with characters outside my house, though, including the other leaders. IIRC I've definitely returned an item or two to Dmitri...

Makes sense that there are characters that are no-go for recruitment that are imperative to their house's stories or whatever, but if that's the case I probably shouldn't be getting items for them in the first place. It's gotta be bugged

Reki

Oct 25, 2017

and House Golden Deer is clearly the good people in the game.

Agreed. I've been impressed by how much I care for the students; they all have some nice, deep characterization and the way they're inserted in the world really works - the roster menu has explanations for important life events, for example -.

And GD are the best! Lysithea just had a super charming C support with the avatar. And although it felt bad, I had Ignatz killing a few bandits in the last battle. He has potential.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno that's pretty much par for the course for Japanese story-telling IMO, especially in video games. They love subverting tropes (even if a reverse-trope is still a trope, but that's a story for another day). I mean of course some do it better than others, but people also tend to get this weird preconception of "Japanese = cheese" or something, which doesn't help in appreciating works for what they are. They usually know how to write characters. I mean for all the stupidity in its actual plot, Fates still had cool characters.

I have a gut feeling it's a cultural thing. Westerners tend to write characters with an individualistic framework whereas especially Japanese authors tend to write characters with a collective framework, anchoring them much more in their environment which is, well, more believable (and potentially more interesting) than someone who's essentially defined by their own traits and merits.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm full of random questions today. Given enough NG+ playthroughs would it be possible to recruit EVERY student (I assume affection and stats carry over) or is there some kind of hard cap?

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If a character has an actual stat (Dex, Str or whatever) as a requirement, it's even more advised to build up your support level between Byleth and that character. With the RNG at level up, there's only so much you can do stat-wise. Skills are more "easy".

Still ... build up that support level to at least B.

Damn time for tea time I guess. Thanks for the tips!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest character development surprises is how good a dude Sylvain is underneath his womanizing, and that Mercedes seems to have a certain streak of zealotry I don't care for.

Also, after the Lonato chapter, like... Ashe needs some support and I feel like a shitty teacher for not really having much to give him.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
When people tell you what things they need for you to recruit them, do you have to level up those skills on your main character? Or just anyone on your team has to have that skill at a high enough threshhold?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game a lot but it's really funny how for something that's a pretty major Nintendo release how it feels like it's falling apart at the seams. just discovered the pillars in the dormitory/officer's quarters just have zero collision lmao. I'm assuming a massive amount of work went into designing/testing the honestly labyrinthine character interaction/branching story stuff and all other polish was lower priority

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So legitimate question. Given enough NG+ playthroughs would it be possible to recruit EVERY student (I assume affection and stats carry over) or is there some kind of hard cap?
you don't for free. You can buy earned affection and skills with reknown

When people tell you what things they need for you to recruit them, do you have to level up those skills on your main character? Or just anyone on your team has to have that skill at a high enough threshhold?
Just Byleth. You can also just get that character to a rank B support

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who's finished Blue lions route? Need some help with a certain decision.
Is choosing to go to the Imperial or Kingdom capital a massive choice? As in entire route and ending altering choice?
It doesn't matter, the choice is made for you pretty soon and so no route divergences

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
so when you recruit other houses. I assume there is supports too??

that would be interesting. the stories

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest character development surprises is how good a dude Sylvain is underneath his womanizing, and that Mercedes seems to have a certain streak of zealotry I don't care for.

Eh, Mercedes makes it clear later that she just wants to do good. She only uses the church as that outlet because it's the one she has the most experience with.

so when you recruit other houses. I assume there is supports too??

that would be interesting. the stories

Yeah, you get support stories for the recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.