• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm playing F!Byleth, Black Eagles, and can't seem to return items to Hilda or (I just discovered this) Claude. I have like five or six things sitting in my inventory that I can't give them, it's very weird.

I don't think it has anything to do with direct KOs in the first mock battle because iirc my Byleth finished off a couple of other characters as well, but I could be wrong.

I have a lost flask it won't let me return to Jeralt even though it says "this belongs to Jeralt." I'm not sure what's up with that. It's been in my inventory for several weeks.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The only battalion skill I've actively used is the absolutely wild one that gives every ally in a fairly large AoE +5 to movement for the rest of the turn. Proper high-speed murder time with that one. The AoE heal is pretty good too, for obvious reasons, but I rarely find myself having to heal multiple units at the same time so I've only used it a handful of times.

The rest of the low level battalion skills have been pretty worthless.

"5 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Three Houses!" and the list is like "you can fast travel" and "you can find lost items." 🙄

You can walk around the monastery

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
"How to fast travel" is definitely one of the things I didn't know about.
Also the existence of the second floor dormitory.

Every time I find a lost items or have a tea party I realize I know NOTHING about these people.
Alois collects coins!?!?!

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Man,, I've got some overleveling problems. Claude and I are L11, my next best hitters are L7-ish, and I've got a L5 and L4. I need to be more distributive in my skirmishes lol.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Turned off Battle Animations to quickly get back some lost progress after a major stupid move on my part and now I find myself not wanting to turn it back on. Game feels better to play when every attack isn't interrupted by a lengthy battle animation.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Turned off Battle Animations to quickly get back some lost progress after a major stupid move on my part and now I find myself not wanting to turn it back on. Game feels better to play when every attack isn't interrupted by a lengthy battle animation.
Oh man I couldn't play without them! I love seeing my units smash shit or watch to see if my dude I going to survive a crazy hit. The RNG helps with wanting to watch I think, combined with the ability to quickly skip things like healing/dancing.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Oh nice, must've missed this when I checked the options. I had already turned combat speed up to fast, but yeah, the long animations get super repetitive fast. I'll have to turn them off too.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Hilda is funny always doesn't want to fight or doesn't want to do any work yet in battle she's a tanky powerhouse that cleaves through fools.

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a faster way to earn class exp for mastery outside of battle and only getting like, 1 point at a time?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly they seem to be faster than the 3DS ones. I skip animations in replays myself.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States

I skip everything. Animations, ally phase, enemy turns, etc.

Oh man I couldn't play without them! I love seeing my units smash shit or watch to see if my dude I going to survive a crazy hit. The RNG helps with wanting to watch I think, combined with the ability to quickly skip things like healing/dancing.

See, I feel the opposite. The RNG is one of the reasons I keep them off. Nothing is more annoying than watching your character do a big dramatic animation and watch it miss.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So I have 2 lost items and I can't seem to find the owners.

1. A "hand drawn map" that is apparently for someone who would have known Jeralt for a long time. My first thought was obviously Alois but he refused it so then I tried Jeralt and subsequently every adult character barring the 2 teachers and nadda.
2. A "well worn overcoat" for someone who "gets into fights a lot" I tried the 2 battleheads (Felix/Catherine) but both said no and then I tried ever character who is even remotely battle oriented and still no so I have no clue.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Is the 4th route drastically different from the main 3 routes??

I dont know who to side with in BE. I plan on mlre than one playthrough but dont have the time for 4 or want to do BE twice in a row.

Just curious if I should do the 4th route if its alot different than others

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized as I was about to go to bed...the post timeskip characters all have their 'normal' appearance for their kind of preferred default class line instead of the generic one. Neat

1. A "hand drawn map" that is apparently for someone who would have known Jeralt for a long time. My first thought was obviously Alois but he refused it so then I tried Jeralt and subsequently every adult character barring the 2 teachers and nadda.
2. A "well worn overcoat" for someone who "gets into fights a lot" I tried the 2 battleheads (Felix/Catherine) but both said no and then I tried ever character who is even remotely battle oriented and still no so I have no clue.

There are definitely obvious answers for both of these, guessing they're not in your house is all so you don't know them well.

Leonie and Caspar

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
Woof, I am finding myself more disoriented by this game than I expected. I am confused and seeing symbols or information that I don't know how to interpret. It's embarrassing.

1. How does class mastery work? In actual battle, I noticed that the experience pane includes a meter for "class mastery." At first, I took this to mean it was time to promote the unit because I wouldn't learn any more skills from it. But this didn't make sense because I was reaching class mastery around levels 4 or 5. What does class mastery mean and how to I use it?

2. It took me two whole lessons to realize that the lecture period was simply distributing experience to units based on their interests. I had no idea what was happening. I assume the side chores like horse tending give experience (and rewards) to things like riding, flying etc? So I should only assign those chores to people who would I want to fulfill those classes? I still don't fully understand how the experience and level up stuff at the end of the lecture period works. You can give target experience to students with high motivation, but then everyone gets experience at the end of the lecture?

3. I do not yet understand how battalions are supposed to work or when to use them. I keep forgetting they're there and who has them. I discovered a replenish option which I didn't remember being explained previously, but perhaps I just missed it in the tool tips.

4. Everybody I want to recruit wants Byleth to have certain stats in skills they prefer, but I didn't understand how to raise stats like Magic when the starting class has no magic. I found out (perhaps too late) that professors will give you experience and consume one of your activity points. Knowing this is an option, I wonder why anybody would instead choose to fish or garden, unless they don't consume activity points?

5. I don't understand where class skills are coming from. Bernadette is a noble, for example. This is her class. But she unlocks skills related to archery, like the counter ability. If skills aren't tied to class, what are they tied to? When should you ever promote?

6. Speaking of promotion, I don't understand how it works. You can use a seal to have somebody take an exam and get certified in a certain class. It will then ask you if you want to change to that class. What is the benefit of certifying a unit in a class but not switching to them? If skill unlocks aren't tied to class, when should you promote your units?

7. I reached the point where there were auxilary battles (paralogues, I assume) that I could choose from. But they have recommended levels (5 and 7) that are much, much higher than my units who are mostly around level 2 and 3. It took me about two hours to clear the first one because only Byleth and Edelgard were Level 7 and everyone else was 4 or below. It felt pretty good to clear a map that way where anybody getting hit more than once was certain death, but I can't help but wonder how I was supposed to have leveled my units. Before taking on the Level 7 map, I decided to spend another week schooling, only for the Level 7 map to become unavailable. I definitely could not have cleared that map with the units I had, but spending time to school them blocks off the option. Does it come back?

I've played a lot of Fire Emblem but FE was traditionally very rigid and easy to follow. I am still trying to make sense of all the new systems. I'm about 99% sure this is all going to click for me in a few more chapters and I'm going to end up restarting from the beginning. I hate feeling like I'm wasting time and resources trying to figure out a game once I actually understand it. I'm definitely enjoying the game but I'm as dumb and blank as Byleth when I play it.

Other random things I barely understand...
1. Motivation
2. Authority
3. Choosing which students for singing in the choir, cooking with students, and everything it benefits.
4. Which stats (reason, magic, faith) are connected to which abilities
5. I spent like an hour trying to retrieve Dorothea's undershirt which was, in fact, not one of the "lost items" I'd read so much about.
I can answer some of your question.
1. class mastery is for Class Mastery Bonus. which will grant you Ability or/and Combat Art that can be used freely by that character no matter which class they in. It only goes up went that character take action (attack, receive damage, assist etc.)
2. the experience and level up stuff at the end of the lecture period is coming from their goal(you can change them in goal menu when you start lecture) which automatically goes up.
3. battalions has a lot of strategic use for example buff,debuff, massive attack that can hit multiple enemies,force enemy to move etc.
4. fishing or gardening don't consume activity points.
5. They tied to weapon she used (Skill level they called)
6. if you want some Class Mastery Bonus you might want to stay in that class.

1. Motivation is for instruct option in lecture day. character can be teached Skill level more want they have full motivation
2. Authority is one of Skill level . mostly connect to what kind of battalions that character can have.
3. they told you pretty clear in description or after you done with that activity. choir give all participants Faith skill level, Motivation, support and give you authority skill level.
4. mag(magic) is for magical damage. Reason is for black/dark magic. Faith is for white magic.
5. It just a dialogue. you can't do anything with it.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States

I know the second one is Caspar..

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

I forgot her name (sorry) but it's probably Jeralt's former student, isn't it?

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

the overcoat is Casper.

IIRC the hand drawn map is Leonie.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Anyone who's finished Blue lions route? Need some help with a certain decision.
Is choosing to go to the Imperial or Kingdom capital a massive choice? As in entire route and ending altering choice?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
final point before bed since we're talking about fast animations - I used to turn them off, but I discovered you can just mash B instead of A and skip them when you want

Gives me the flexibility to either ignore them or to watch without going into the menu, and I mash through stuff anyway so it's just a matter of hitting a different button.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I'm still early into the game and I have a few questions if someone has an opportunity to answer them at all (much obliged if anyone does!)

- Does the Normal difficulty still provide a sufficient challenge or is it easy to breeze through the levels?
- Without spoilers, what is the 4th route I'm hearing about?
- I heard there is an option to rewind time if someone dies - how do you do this? I've been battling and haven't seen any option, though I may have missed a tutorial menu

Thanks so much!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I just realized as I was about to go to bed...the post timeskip characters all have their 'normal' appearance for their kind of preferred default class line instead of the generic one. Neat

There are definitely obvious answers for both of these, guessing they're not in your house is all so you don't know them well.

Leonie and Caspar
I know the second one is Caspar..
I forgot her name (sorry) but it's probably Jeralt's former student, isn't it?
the overcoat is Casper.

IIRC the hand drawn map is Leonie.

Dang that was fast xD. Thanks I didn't know that about Leonia (not in my house) or Caspar (same)

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Woof, I am finding myself more disoriented by this game than I expected. I am confused and seeing symbols or information that I don't know how to interpret. It's embarrassing.

1. How does class mastery work? In actual battle, I noticed that the experience pane includes a meter for "class mastery." At first, I took this to mean it was time to promote the unit because I wouldn't learn any more skills from it. But this didn't make sense because I was reaching class mastery around levels 4 or 5. What does class mastery mean and how to I use it?

2. It took me two whole lessons to realize that the lecture period was simply distributing experience to units based on their interests. I had no idea what was happening. I assume the side chores like horse tending give experience (and rewards) to things like riding, flying etc? So I should only assign those chores to people who would I want to fulfill those classes? I still don't fully understand how the experience and level up stuff at the end of the lecture period works. You can give target experience to students with high motivation, but then everyone gets experience at the end of the lecture?

3. I do not yet understand how battalions are supposed to work or when to use them. I keep forgetting they're there and who has them. I discovered a replenish option which I didn't remember being explained previously, but perhaps I just missed it in the tool tips.

4. Everybody I want to recruit wants Byleth to have certain stats in skills they prefer, but I didn't understand how to raise stats like Magic when the starting class has no magic. I found out (perhaps too late) that professors will give you experience and consume one of your activity points. Knowing this is an option, I wonder why anybody would instead choose to fish or garden, unless they don't consume activity points?

5. I don't understand where class skills are coming from. Bernadette is a noble, for example. This is her class. But she unlocks skills related to archery, like the counter ability. If skills aren't tied to class, what are they tied to? When should you ever promote?
Wh
6. Speaking of promotion, I don't understand how it works. You can use a seal to have somebody take an exam and get certified in a certain class. It will then ask you if you want to change to that class. What is the benefit of certifying a unit in a class but not switching to them? If skill unlocks aren't tied to class, when should you promote your units?

7. I reached the point where there were auxilary battles (paralogues, I assume) that I could choose from. But they have recommended levels (5 and 7) that are much, much higher than my units who are mostly around level 2 and 3. It took me about two hours to clear the first one because only Byleth and Edelgard were Level 7 and everyone else was 4 or below. It felt pretty good to clear a map that way where anybody getting hit more than once was certain death, but I can't help but wonder how I was supposed to have leveled my units. Before taking on the Level 7 map, I decided to spend another week schooling, only for the Level 7 map to become unavailable. I definitely could not have cleared that map with the units I had, but spending time to school them blocks off the option. Does it come back?

8. I'm playing on Classic and I reset when somebody falls, but based on the dialog on defeat, it doesn't look like anybody is dying. Is this the case? Can the students not be killed on some maps? I know they couldn't in the practice battles but I expect people to be dying horribly at this point and instead they're like "ack! how embarrassing! bye!"

I've played a lot of Fire Emblem but FE was traditionally very rigid and easy to follow. I am still trying to make sense of all the new systems. I'm about 99% sure this is all going to click for me in a few more chapters and I'm going to end up restarting from the beginning. I hate feeling like I'm wasting time and resources trying to figure out a game once I actually understand it. I'm definitely enjoying the game but I'm as dumb and blank as Byleth when I play it.

Other random things I barely understand...
1. Motivation
2. Authority
3. Choosing which students for singing in the choir, cooking with students, and everything it benefits.
4. Which stats (reason, magic, faith) are connected to which abilities
5. I spent like an hour trying to retrieve Dorothea's undershirt which was, in fact, not one of the "lost items" I'd read so much about.
"Short version"

1/ Class mastery gives a "Bonus skill" (5 max "equipped", passives, the one for commoner/noble is "HP+5").
2/ Lessons = Another way (besides fighting) to raise "weapon" skill level (ax, bow etc).
3/ Battalions = "Super moves" (w/ AoE) + Passive buffs.
4/ Not sure what you're talking about here.
5/ When you level up a "weapon" skill, you get a "Bonus skill" (5 max "equipped", passives) and/or a "Combat skill" (3 max "equipped", chosen when attacking). Note: Class mastery may also get you a "Combat skill".
6/ You can reclass anytime (outside of battle) as long as you're "certified" for it. So you may want to unlock a class for later, for example.
7/ Levels for auxiliary battles are rough indications. And to my knowledge the (mostly) only way to "grind" for levels. They "respawn" every month (in updated versions).
8/ I think in the very first battles (which are supposed to be mock-ups) your units can't "die", even on Classic.

Bonus:
1/ Motivation is how much a student can be "taught" at this very moment (see previous #2).
2/ Authority is basically the "weapon" skill for Batailons.
3/ Singing raises "Faith" (white magic "weapon" skill). Cooking gives a monthly battle bonus (e.g. Def+1).
4/ Reason = Black magic "weapon" skill, Faith = White magic "weapon" skill. "Magic" is just the general magic stat which helps both (more damage / more HP restored).
5/ Never got that quest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Batailons are very useful for some bosses.

Last edited:

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
does Anyone know if the 4th route is drastically different than other houses?

cant decide if I want to do the 4th or not.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still early into the game and I have a few questions if someone has an opportunity to answer them at all (much obliged if anyone does!)

- Does the Normal difficulty still provide a sufficient challenge or is it easy to breeze through the levels?
- Without spoilers, what is the 4th route I'm hearing about?
- I heard there is an option to rewind time if someone dies - how do you do this? I've been battling and haven't seen any option, though I may have missed a tutorial menu

Thanks so much!

Normal is always pretty easy, there are only specific points where I have found it REMOTELY challenging, and that's just a amtter of rewinding one turn and fixing it. total joke.

I don't know the fourth route, but I could guess based on comments, not sure how to answer that without spoiling major shit.

The rewind is introduced very early, it's just LZ at any time and then scroll through the log until you get to where you want to resume.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Normal is always pretty easy, there are only specific points where I have found it REMOTELY challenging, and that's just a amtter of rewinding one turn and fixing it. total joke.

I don't know the fourth route, but I could guess based on comments, not sure how to answer that without spoiling major shit.

The rewind is introduced very early, it's just LZ at any time and then scroll through the log until you get to where you want to resume.

Thank you for your reply. So you can wait for someone to die THEN hit LZ? Or do you have to pre empt someone may die and hit it before they're killed? Cheers!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Thanks everyone one more random question.

Is it possible to use my class outfit outside of battle? The overdesigned robe of the MC's default look bugs me and I'de like to wear one of my class outfits but haven't found a way to.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, there's no way to telling something about it without spoiling stuff.

5/ Never got that quest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not a quest. At least i didn't get one yet. But i can tell you where that piece of cloth is that she seeks. Caspar found it and uses it as a sweat-tissue while training, when Dorothea has that dialogue during free-roaming the monastery, you can find him in the training grounds where he has that dialogue that he found the thing. ^^

Don't think she wants it back anymore. Maybe that's why it's not a quest. ;]

Oct 29, 2017
Hilda is funny always doesn't want to fight or doesn't want to do any work yet in battle she's a tanky powerhouse that cleaves through fools.
Yeah lol I found this amusing, too. She's becoming one of my favorite characters in the game; her supports with everyone are really fun.

I have a question: What is the best time for me to promote units from Beginner to Intermediate Classes? Is there a way to see what skills would I miss on if I promote now? All my units are level 11 except for Ignatz and I'm just on the tower mission.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really impressed by the pacing so far. I'm sure some people would prefer a more traditional battle-heavy FE, but the life sim aspects and SRPG content feed into each other perfectly. There's just enough context to make "run around and return lost earrings to people" feel engaging.

I just wish it was a bit shorter... because I'm already planning out a second run in my head! I'm going mByleth with Blue Lions for my first run, I think I'd probably do fByleth with Golden Deer my second. But I'm like 10 hours in and like 4 chapters through? I just got the fancy sword from the tomb. Doubt I'll have time for a second run before DQXI is out.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah lol I found this amusing, too. She's becoming one of my favorite characters in the game; her supports with everyone are really fun.

I have a question: What is the best time for me to promote units from Beginner to Intermediate Classes? Is there a way to see what skills would I miss on if I promote now? All my units are level 11 except for Ignatz and I'm just on the tower mission.

It's up to you wether you want to master a class, or switch asap.

A full list of classes and the skills/abilities you get when your units master them is here:

WARNING, when i say FULL list, i mean FULL list. Stuff on this list is considered as Spoilers!!!

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
I'd choose Dorothea as romance option for my main character...

...if it weren't for that hat.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This is why I love my Deers! Also there is a support convo with the MC talking about beliefs in Gods and I swore he was talking like me. I resonate so hard with Claude and the class

ara

Oct 26, 2017
4h route, eh? Interesting, always thought the game only had the three. I assume it's a NG+ exclusive?

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Question: when students say they aren't interested in being recruited, then you get a tool tip saying they like certain stats, is the game telling you to raise YOUR stats to impress them or to raise THEIR stats (somehow)?

For example, I want to recruit Lysithea, and it says she likes Magic and Faith. So I have been leveling Byleth's Magic and Faith to make her want to join my class. But is it actually referring to... her stats? If so, how do you raise the stats of units not in your class?

Man, this game makes me feel so stupid.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Question: when students say they aren't interested in being recruited, then you get a tool tip saying they like certain stats, is the game telling you to raise YOUR stats to impress them or to raise THEIR stats (somehow)?

For example, I want to recruit Lysithea, and it says she likes Magic and Faith. So I have been leveling Byleth's Magic and Faith to make her want to join my class. But is it actually referring to... her stats? If so, how do you raise the stats of units not in your class?

Man, this game makes me feel so stupid.

You Byleth needs to have the stats or skill. At the required level. Support ranks lower these requirements big time with each level.

Status
Not open for further replies.