• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm finding hard to be pretty much perfect difficulty-wise tbh. I do wonder if it's because I'm running Black Eagles and I don't really have a tank other than Byleth and Edelgard. (Which aren't super tanky)

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Bernadetta would be a much better character without the support conversations. Her general shut in stuff was fun at first but seeing her go through the exact same conversations with all these different npc's is getting real tiresome.

In general her supports feel like a bad caricature of the character she is outside of supports.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Golden Deers, 12 hours now. I've recruited the servant boy (forgot his name) and was planning on recruiting Petra, but she asked to join my house herself!

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I'm finding hard to be pretty much perfect difficulty-wise tbh. I do wonder if it's because I'm running Black Eagles and I don't really have a tank other than Byleth and Edelgard. (Which aren't super tanky)

armored knight edelgard

Trust me

She's so goddamn strong, it's great.

I think the armor looks kinda ridiculous on her but everything else rocks so who cares about what it looks like

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Is there a legend somewhere for all the little icons and exactly what they mean?

The 3 stars near someone's skill for example.

Also, what is the difference between having equipment equipped or not if I can just select a different weapon before I attack?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
armored knight edelgard

Trust me

I think the armor looks kinda ridiculous on her but everything else rocks so who cares about what it looks like
I kinda dig it, especially compared to some of the... questionable... Armored Knight looks in the past. especially compared to the female knight designs.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God I love ashe. He's definitely not my strongest unit attack wise (have him as a melee unit atm), but he can hold his own to some degree, is effectively impervious to magic due to his sky high resistance, and has built in locktouch for chests and doors. He's the ultimate scout unit.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Got my first recruited unit (I'm BE): Ingrid!

It was kinda weird since I achieved B rank with her, asked her out but she declined joining, and then during the week of lectures she randomly showed up one day and asked to join lol

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Dont do normal. It's so easy you may as well watch a let's play instead because the game almost plays itself and you can't increase the difficulty later. Hell, hard is easy as well. The difficulty in this game is completely broken. Lunatic should have been here at launch. The developers put all these systems and choices in the game and the consequences feel meaningless because the strategy part of this strategy RPG is the worst thing in the game.

I could restart as I only just finished the prologue mission... but I feel I'll just do hard if I do another scenario.

Breezing through it isn't ideal, as I do like a bit of a challenge, but this is my first time playing FE and I don't want to have to struggle too much on top of learning everything.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Bah I dunno what house to choose

Claude is my favorite house leader, but I find the rest of his house really bland

Edelguard was my favorite going in and I like her, but her house is all over the place

Dimitri has the best house, but Dimitri himself seems really boring.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

Claude is my favorite house leader, but I find the rest of his house really bland

Edelguard was my favorite going in and I like her, but her house is all over the place

If the other houses are anything like Blue Lions, even the characters you don't like will surprise you and grow on you.

I'm really impressed by how much each individual student is fleshed out in the story and in their supports. You feel like you grow together and go through hardships together and share life experiences together. I'm pretty attached to my class now and I didn't think highly of some of them going on (Ingrid and Ashe in particular - they're two of my favorites on and off the battlefield now!)

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So what's the deal with Class Mastery? I'm so confused by it.

It feels like the game wants to be like Final Fantasy Tactics, where you can jump in and out of each class to earn their specific skill...but the amount of time it takes to earn one of those skills seems prohibitively long.

As an example - I only had eight Intermediate Seals, so I had to leave Byleth has a Fighter until Level 12. He still didn't learn Str+2 or Shove. And from what I can tell it seems like each level of promotion comes with better stat growths. So you basically have to gimp your units growths trying to learn a skill? It feels like there must be more to it that I'm missing.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Bernadetta would be a much better character without the support conversations. Her general shut in stuff was fun at first but seeing her go through the exact same conversations with all these different npc's is getting real tiresome.

In general her supports feel like a bad caricature of the character she is outside of supports.
Yeah, she's starting to annoy me a lot. It really stands out too as all the other characters are far more restrained and varied in their supports. Bernies are all the same and her hysterics every single time are less than appealing after the 3rd occasion.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I never expected I'd be spending so much time in the school area but it's not a negative. I'm loving the game. Went with the Golden Deer house to start off.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I actually chose Blue Lions after three weeks of saying Black Eagles just because of some guy at the bar smh.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Exactly my thoughts to a T. I've started with the Lions but everytime I see Edelgard I get second thoughts. I'm still early enough to restart...

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
She's so goddamn strong, it's great.

I'm only on chapter 3 and haven't even promoted anyone, but she already hits like a speeding freight train. Meanwhile Ferdinand and Caspar are complete deadweight. I'm gonna need to poach Leonie or maybe even Raphael, 'cause Edelgard and Byleth can't be my only people who can take a hit!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I need lunatic mode. I haven't been sweating in these battles.

I want to feel like I did in Conquest hard mode. Every turn made me sweat from chapter 10 onwards.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it comes soon, hard is like normal Conquest
I never played normal conquest actually.

Went straight to hard and it was the best Fire emblem experience I ever had. Had no clue what to expect and which characters were good. Still hated I lost Elise for a chapter due to story reasons (13 I think it was?) lol

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
What's up with the "Training [weapon]" having a little plus sign on its icon? Does it have a use for actual experience farming, or is it just for selling off?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a limit to how many people can be on the battlefield at once? It seems like it would start to get annoying trying to have everyone evenly leveled if you get too many people. If there is a limit do they gain any XP while in standby?

Yeah the cel shaded graphical style of the characters as well as the music definitely gave off those vibes to me too. I normally don't really care about the music in Fire Emblem games usually but this one is really impressing me so far, good range of synth music, ambient and orchestral.
Haha yeah

Yeah, it does.
I thought I was the only one! That was exactly what i was thinking.

Could it possibly be the same composer?
Happy I'm not alone!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a limit to how many people can be on the battlefield at once? It seems like it would start to get annoying trying to have everyone evenly leveled if you get too many people. If there is a limit do they gain any XP while in standby?

Happy I'm not alone!
There is a limit. It can vary, but is generally 10. ONly adjutants gain xp when not in battle (you unlock this as you raise your professor level)

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There is a limit. It can vary, but is generally 10. ONly adjutants gain xp when not in battle (you unlock this as you raise your professor level)
I just unlocked that and so far I've only recruited one person. I'm scared my other students will fall behind once I reach the limit. Do you constantly rotate people in and out to keep them evenly leveled or do you just let them fall behind? Seems like a hassle tbh

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not. Trails of Cold Steel is far superior to recent FE games; world-building is better, characters are a lot more interesting, gameplay is superior and its many QoL features really add to the experience. Granted, I've only played about 6 or 7 hours of the Black Eagle campaign thus far and while I'd be lying if I said none of the characters have their own stand-alone quirks or moments, Trails of Cold Steel does 10x a better job at making me give a shit about the narrative and the [many] protagonists introduced in the same period of time, than Three Houses.

Early days of course; here's hoping the story and the cast of characters pick up (and I'm still rather liking FE's gameplay playing on Hard Classic), but believe me, ToCS is an entirely different beast altogether.
I 100% disagree. School setting, students dealing with the world at war, questioning the morality of decisions, the free time actions, etc all of it felt very much like CS to me.

Though I'm the opposite in that I prefer this. CS's battles were incredibly slow, and when people say "50+ hour game" they actually mean it with CS. I feel like I can beat 3H in 20-25 hours, which I think is a good thing because CS's pacing felt so awful at times.

In terms of narrative, I'm curious as to why you feel that way. Between the character notes, paralogues, support conversations, and the story in general, I'm not sure why you would feel that way. Just playing through the first paralogue and doing a few supports with Dedue and Felix, it's clear they've been through some shit and not just for the sake of it. Maybe your experience is tailored due to your class or the supports/side missions you chose to participate in.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I assume this goes for all three lords tbh, but some of Dimitri's supports imply there's more to him than he lets on (especially his C support with Felix). I'm really interested in seeing where he goes.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Is there a reliable way to build support quickly with characters from other houses?

I've been eating meals with my targets every break, but it seems slow going.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That was my first 13 hour gaming session in years, having a great time with blue lions

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reliable way to build support quickly with characters from other houses?

I've been eating meals with my targets every break, but it seems slow going.

You can give an unlimited number of gifts to a person, and after a sidequest there's merchants that sell like 20 gifts a month between them, plus you can grow lots of flowers in the greenhouses for gifts.

If you run around the monastery instead of fast travelling you can find lost items too, which you can return for a nice support boost

You can hire a target for a month and set them as an Adjutant when you're at Professor Level C

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Do you get more class XP for doing class moves like using preferred weapons or combat abilities, or is it set?

Playing normal/classic and I'm alright with it

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
You can give an unlimited number of gifts to a person, and after a sidequest there's merchants that sell like 20 gifts a month between them, plus you can grow lots of flowers in the greenhouses for gifts.

If you run around the monastery instead of fast travelling you can find lost items too, which you can return for a nice support boost

You can hire a target for a month and set them as an Adjutant when you're at Professor Level C
Nice tips, thanks. What month do the gifts become available?

Status
Not open for further replies.