• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
So I recently acquired and started Three Houses. I got Claude as MVP during the first tutorial "skirmish", and got to the part where I finally have to choose a House to teach in.

From what I understand: Blue Lions is the standard cavalry campaign, Golden Deer are archers, and Black Eagles are the mages. I don't know if there is a certain "canonical" way to proceed with the houses in order to best experience the story and whatnot, but I haven't moved an inch in fear of making a mistake of choosing a campaign that might be intended for more experienced players. I know each of the campaigns are supposedly distinct, but sudpposing I know nothing about the weapon triangle, is there a particular order that would ease you into the mechanics of each class?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Pick whichever you want.

The game isn't difficult enough that you'll struggle. Plus each will teach you the fundamentals.

I recommend Blue Lions as Dimitri is a great character

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
there's no weapon triangle in 3H
just pick the house with the characters you like more

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
So I recently acquired and started Three Houses. I got Claude as MVP during the first tutorial "skirmish", and got to the part where I finally have to choose a House to teach in.

From what I understand: Blue Lions is the standard cavalry campaign, Golden Deer are archers, and Black Eagles are the mages. I don't know if there is a certain "canonical" way to proceed with the houses in order to best experience the story and whatnot, but I haven't moved an inch in fear of making a mistake of choosing a campaign that might be intended for more experienced players. I know each of the campaigns are supposedly distinct, but sudpposing I know nothing about the weapon triangle, is there a particular order that would ease you into the mechanics of each class?

I would speak to every member of the house, and just make your choice based on the characters you want to start your story with. Gameplay wise it should be balanced enough, no matter which house you pick.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Gameplay wise you don't have to worry too much. Yes, the game implies that some houses have certain preferences but they all are similar at large and you can always recruit other students to fill whatever role you are missing. There's a large room for customization in the end.

Story wise? There's no right answer, but it's probably either Blue Lions or Black Eagles, but it's not like choosing the Golden Deer is wrong either. So go with your gut I say.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that any choice is a good choice (and you can play the other campaigns in New Game+ if you'd like) but I'll shout out the Golden Deer as the best of the bunch.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever house has the students you like the most.
I picked Blue Lions and felt great about it. Wouldn't have wanted any other way.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
The houses are pretty similar gameplay wise although Edelgard's route is shorter. Just choose the house you like more. Keep in mind, you can recruit any students from other houses that you like (minus a certain few, depending on the route). I picked the golden eagles (Edelgard ftw) and didn't regret it.

Jan 27, 2018
Went with the Stags because they looked the coolest, but they all have good characters and you can recruit most of them over to whatever house you pick.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My experience is that pretty much everybody's favorite house just ends up being whichever one they played through first

That said Blue Lions are the best house

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I went with classic difficulty btw.

I also noticed the terrain bonuses seem hit or miss. Is this normal, or do these bonuses stack so long as you place them adjecent to other allied units?

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Start with Black Eagles, they have the most adorable characters aka Linhardt and Bernie.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
actually go with the house that have the leader and immediate sidekick (its not hard to realize who they are) you like more. you can recruit pretty much everyone else. hell just go with your favourite colour

Last edited:

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

You should pick the one with the caracters that interest you the most. Almost every student aside from the leaders and a couple extra exceptions can be recruited to any other house as well.

Its very likely that the first house you pick will end up being your favorite. I started with golden deer beucause I liked Claude's first impression the most from the three leaders, and I do think its the better route. But again, ignore everyone who says "pick this house", and choose based on your impression of the characters.

The students' classes are not house dependant though. In fact you can freely choose the class of every unit, you don't have to stick to their default ones

Last edited:

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
You be fine with any choice.

I chose Golden Deer as my first playthrough, and I went on to do the other houses. Spent hundreds of hours replaying Maddening on different paths.

If for some strange reason that you can only do one, go for Blue Lions because of the story.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Choose according the characters you like most. If you truly want to know all the lore and world-building in Foldan, you'll have to play all routes anyway.

I picked the Golden Deer and Claude and thought it was great, since it focuses a bit more on "the world of Foldan" than the other two houses. The other houses tend to focus a bit more on their leaders (Dimitri and Edelgard) stories, so all the story about why Fodlan is like it is tend to fall a bit to the wayside.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I just wanna say Three Houses is probably the single greatest Switch platform exclusive and I'm envious of your first time run. Golden Deer all the way. Go with whichever house you like the most character-wise and don't look back. You might think you'll revisit the other houses on a new save and maybe you will, but one play through alone is so meaty and long that I suggest not putting too much thought into it.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Pick Blue Lions or Black Eagles depending on which characters you like more. Nothing against Golden Deer but that route feels like it should be played after one of those for plot reasons.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Pick the house with the most characters you like or the house with your favorite leader. The game won't kick your butt if you pick one house over another.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The campaigns really are not segregated by difficulty, unlike older games in the series. There is one campaign in particular that is noticeably shorter than the other three, but no matter what route you choose you will be fine. Three Houses is on the easier side for Fire Emblem, only some of the side chapters present a significant challenge and they are optional.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I'm Dimitri trash 4 life, so Blue Lions!

Though my two Tumblr witch friends loved Black Eagles the best.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Pick the house you want. None of them are poor choices because they all have great characters.

The campaigns really are not segregated by difficulty, unlike older games in the series. There is one campaign in particular that is noticeably shorter than the other three, but no matter what route you choose you will be fine. Three Houses is on the easier side for Fire Emblem, only some of the side chapters present a significant challenge and they are optional.
And also, OP, if you decide to get the DLC, the Cindered Shadows sidestory is easily the most challenging that Three Houses gets.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Purely from the story angle, there is one key question you should ask yourself: do you intend to play all 3 routes ? If yes, I highly recommend you do Edelgard's last. If not, you should either do Edelgards or Dimitris.

I have played all the routes after 400 hours and wondered myself which order I would recommend. I say play Black Eagles last if you want to play them all because her route, in my opinion, asks a lot of story knowledge to really appreciate. There are a lot of important details that will make less sense and be way less impactful if you experience them first rather than after at least one route.

If you feel like you will only play one, then I recommend Blue Lions or Black Eagles. The Dimitri route, I would argue, is the best self contained story and while you lose a lot in lore and a character that I really like disappears for the second half of the game, the overall story of Dimitri is really good and poignant. The other option I would suggest is the Black Eagles because, again in my opinion, its the most interesting one story wise. It was clearly the last one conceived by the developers (hence why its best to play last if you play all routes), but unfortunately some parts feel a bit rushed compared to other stories. Nonetheless, it has the best story and is very refreshing (especially if you've played a lot of Fire Emblems like me), it also hosts my personal favourite chapter in all routes.

Claude's path is very robust and he is an absolute chad (but all three lords are amazing honestly) but I do feel like his story, while it gives a lot of important lore, isn't super well told and is kind of disjointed. Its a solid choice nontheless if you really connect with him and his class.

So TLDR: If you want to play all the routes, do Claude/Dimitri/Edelgard. If you think you will only play one, then do either Dimitri's who has the most complete package, self contained and powerful story, or Edelgard's who has more low but higher highs and offers the most interesting story overall. Also, its a spoiler but I think its good to know in advance if you don't mind:
The Black Eagle route has a split and therefore offers two routes (so there are a total of 4 routes). Its imo the weakest of all 4 as it has a very interesting concept but is very poorly achieved and Claude's path is essentially a copy of it. Its therefore at the bottom of my suggestions, but it is worth playing if you really are interested in the lore of the game.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The Black Eagle route has a split and therefore offers two routes (so there are a total of 4 routes). I suggest skipping one of them because its imo the worst of all 4 as it has a very interesting concept but is very poorly achieved and Claude's path is essentially a copy of it.
Do not listen to this person.

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
Gameplay wise, there is always recruiment so you don't really have to worry about the preference of each house as you can add students from other houses into your team.
Storywise, I'd personally recommend Blue Lions or Black Eagles first since they are kind of two sides of the same coin as you follow Edelgard or Dimitri until the end. Then go with Golden Deer for a kinda sideline yet overarching plot. Somehow the narrative in this route resonates with me a lot as it's very similar to how a scholar approaches a problem with curiousity and go on their own route to arrive at the solution.
Additionally since you mentioned weapon triangle, may I ask if you already had experience with past FE games? If so classic + maddening please, you are in for a ride.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
That was admittedly snide. But I would never tell people "Don't play this route."
My goal was to inform him which route I think is the weakest from my personal experience due to the strong repetitive nature of the route and Claude's story being a better version of it. I do take your point though and maybe should rephrase a little. All routes are worth playing in one way or another.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My goal was to inform him which route I think is the weakest from my personal experience due to the strong repetitive nature of the route and Claude's story being a better version of it. I do take your point though and maybe should rephrase a little. All routes are worth playing in one way or another.
That's fair. From my experience, I played the route you wanted to steer them away from first, and I really enjoyed it start to finish. Playing Claude's route felt like the lesser reprise.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I completely agree with you, had I known at the time that Claude had the better version of the route I did, I would've never done it, I only got so much time

Hell it's only now I'm finally making time to do his route, my last one

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'd suggest you pick your house based on which characters you like the most.

I chose Black Eagles.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Having played all the routes, and I ultimately thought that the Golden Deer did the best job of resolving mysteries/explaining backstory, and I liked its leader the best. Its actual members weren't great IMO (as characters, not as units: tactically you'll be fine no matter what, don't worry about that), so don't be shy about recruiting people you like from other houses.

Although note that recruiting can be a bit awkward, so you might want to look up the requirements in a guide to make sure you're building towards them once you know who you want.