• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm actually pretty excited for Three Houses, so I've been playing Fire Emblem Warriors to get me in the mood for the universe.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I also really really hope that Edelgard is the clear and sole lead character and it's not somehow a split narrative between her, Claude and Dimitri. Like let them be important support characters, but I really want just a single main character the story follows from start to finish.

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really hoping they add to the forumla this year. While I expect a great story and endearing characters, I wanna see additional and deeper mechanics. If they added resource gathering and crafting that would be great. I also want to see many more options in weapons, armor, items and gameplay.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really hoping they add to the forumla this year. While I expect a great story and endearing characters, I wanna see additional and deeper mechanics. If they added resource gathering and crafting that would be great. I also want to see many more options in weapons, armor, items and gameplay.
Weapon-crafting was in previous games.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would like to see the series try something new with weapon systems beyond durability. A system where your weapons gain prestige as you use them could be interesting. Like taking a lowly Iron Sword and based on the number of enemies you kill with it and other factors it gains Prestige which would entail some stat alterations, bonuses based on what other things like how many times you used X skill with it or crited with it and then generate some unique name for it based on that. I really like systems where your equipment can grow with you. And I find the whole durability system so boring and pointless. Forging weapons is OK too, but I'm vastly more interested in a system where your weapons improve and become unique based on your usage rather than you buying an upgrade or dumping some gold/resources into a forge to alter it.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah I'm curious about the outside of battle activities - the trailer seemed to imply a fair amount of freedom to run around.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
I like to think I have very simple wants. I just want a good story with interesting characters and no sexualization.

And no fucking baby realms.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see the series try something new with weapon systems beyond durability. A system where your weapons gain prestige as you use them could be interesting. Like taking a lowly Iron Sword and based on the number of enemies you kill with it and other factors it gains Prestige which would entail some stat alterations, bonuses based on what other things like how many times you used X skill with it or crited with it and then generate some unique name for it based on that. I really like systems where your equipment can grow with you. And I find the whole durability system so boring and pointless. Forging weapons is OK too, but I'm vastly more interested in a system where your weapons improve and become unique based on your usage rather than you buying an upgrade or dumping some gold/resources into a forge to alter it.
Shadows of Valentia already had something like that. As a character used a particular weapon, they could unlock weapon skills specific to that weapon. It offered an interesting trade-off for changing a character's equipment to a better form of sword or lance given that they would lose the skills attained with their current weapon.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Shadows of Valentia already had something like that. As a character used a particular weapon, they could unlock weapon skills specific to that weapon. It offered an interesting trade-off for changing a character's equipment to a better form of sword or lance given that they would lose the skills attained with their current weapon.
Yeah, that's what sparked my inspiration for that Prestige idea. SoV was a decent idea, but didn't take it far enough to really be special.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's what sparked my inspiration for that Prestige idea. SoV was a decent idea, but didn't take it far enough to really be special.

Yup, it was a really cool way to add new skills to the game and also change things up. I like to see new interesting takes on older mechanics like this.

Oct 13, 2018
I'm interested in what changes the game brings to FE, but I just wish Intelligent Systems was off the Fire Emblem leash and making a new Advance Wars or something.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I was really curious about why they chose the Japanese name for this game so I did a little googling and this site has a pretty interesting breakdown for those interested: https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2018/06/11/fire-emblem-three-houses-vs-fire-emblem-風花雪月/
I remember reading this around the time of the E3 trailer, good stuff, curious what it all means. Bringing up Romeo & Juliet now gives me ideas about a love triangle between Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Weapon reforging was in previous games, and it was overly simple and was boring item progression. I want more equipment including weapons, armor, and accessories which can be newly crafted from farmable resources (not just evolutions).
That seems like a lot to ask for given that armor and accessories have never been FE staples. Part of the appeal is that it doesn't take hours to fashion loadouts for your full roster before entering battle. And resource gathering? I'm not sure how that would play out in a turn-based game like FE.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading this around the time of the E3 trailer, good stuff, curious what it all means. Bringing up Romeo & Juliet now gives me ideas about a love triangle between Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude.
I've kind of wondered if the game might have a branching path, in that Edelgard has to make a choice that could affect an alliance between the three houses, and the choice she makes will force it to fracture, one way or another.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Resource gathering could easily be done in the open world segments and or as bonus rewards after combat. But yeah I don't want to deal with equipment loadouts for a dozen plus characters and crafting systems always suck.

Maybe a perk system where you put resources in to generate blanket improvements for certain classes, weapons, formations but even that idea makes me wary. They never end up being all that interesting or worthwhile. Accessories in Fates were lame and the whole My Castle thing was pointless.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
When do most people expect this game to be released? We first heard about it during the original Jan. direct following the switch reveal. With that in mind, I sorta feel like we could see this as early as mid-late March.

Oct 25, 2017
I am incredibly excited for Three Houses, though we haven't seen much.

Hoping it takes the gameplay from Conquest and the stellar presentation from Echoes (including story and general aesthetic).

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Weapon reforging was in previous games, and it was overly simple and was boring item progression. I want more equipment including weapons, armor, and accessories which can be newly crafted from farmable resources (not just evolutions).

Most Fire Emblem games aren't about farming and crafting though. It's about getting into the battlefield and come back alive. If they can make it interesting, that would be great, but I very much enjoyed the simple crafting they implemented. When I'm unhappy with the balance of the weapons they have in game, making my own weapon and customize them to my characters' needs is very satisfying.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When do most people expect this game to be released? We first heard about it during the original Jan. direct following the switch reveal. With that in mind, I sorta feel like we could see this as early as mid-late March.

I would guess Three Houses releases mid to late June. I think for the domestic market, they want some synergy with the Cipher expansion releasing that month. Throw in a special promo card with the game, a super special promo with the limited edition, and get the game on shelves alongside the new booster.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm still hoping for a release date early Spring, like mid April, as I also hope to see AC release not too long after in early-ish June before E3, as I expect that will likely be Pokemon central for Nintendo and whatever other games they have for 2H/holidays 2019.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt they will time a console game based on a spinoff card game. It will probably be march or may that are usually months that nintendo realeases big games.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Certainly it's possible, but Nintendo hasn't released a FE title in May in Japan since FE4, and March since FE6. April has traditionally been their favourite month, and June was used for Fates.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know the avatar is coming back? I only heard rumors.

Byleth is only referenced as "the protagonist" or "your main character" in the press release, which added to the lack of artwork in spite of his relevant appearance in the trailer strongly suggests he is a customizable avatar.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
While I'm convinced Byleth is an Avatar I kind of want to see how people would react if he wasn't and was in fact a set character. Even if it meant I was stuck with his current goober face which I think isn't that great.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
While I'm convinced Byleth is an Avatar I kind of want to see how people would react if he wasn't and was in fact a set character. Even if it meant I was stuck with his current goober face which I think isn't that great.
Byleth's apparent default "Enough of this shit" expression is great.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I very much hope that open world sections aren't just limited to the main base but many other locations both combat and non-combat related. Echoes really showed the potential for exploration both in dungeons and elsewhere, even if most of the town/other locations were just fixed stills rather than fully 3D locations to run around in. I want to see them expanded upon that in Three Houses a lot. It's a great way to help build the world and setting and to create new opportunities for story telling. Even Supports could use some shakes up that 3D environments could help with by allowing for more dynamic events within the world space and involving multiple characters.

And when it comes to actual combat scenarios I would also like to see them implement a lot more multipart battles and random skirmishes into the narrative more. Echoes did this to a degree, though dungeon battles were mostly random and meaningless, but by dumping the whole Chapter system and the 1 Battle per 1 Chapter the series has generally relied upon it was very beneficial to the overall feeling of journey Alm and Celica were going on. Having acknowledgements for more minor battles and events as you progressed the world map was a great addition. Going forward when we storm a castle or fort that should several battles in one, not a single map that encompasses both the exterior and interior. Like give me a legit castle like the dungeons in Echoes that are a mix of random skirmishes a few set piece battles. Have a fixed battle to get inside, then let us run through the castle/fort/dungeon/whatever encountering smaller skirmishes along the way as we explore the location and then at one or two fixed junctures have some more set piece battles.

I'm still holding out hope they do something interesting to curb blatant EXP grinding like only awarding Bonus EXP for skirmishes and random battles, but we'll see.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
I only played two Fire Emblem games.

The first was Radiant Dawn, which a friend got me for my birthday. I jacked it up to the highest difficulty because I'm good at video games, right? About 15 restarts over 3 days later, I decided this wasn't for me. Friend asked me if I was liking it, I said I kind of wasn't. He took it and returned it for a refund. Hell of a guy. That's neither here nor there, but it wasn't a wonderful taste in my mouth for the series.

The 2nd is Heroes, which I only picked up because about 15 of my friends, FE fans all, were playing it. All of them quit, but I actually stayed playing. Sure it's mobile cashgrab trash, but between ftp hero events and being generous with orbs I don't find myself wanting for power to do basic stuff without paying money. I'm kind of bad at it, but the game doesn't really punish me for being kind of bad at it, so that works well.

I *want* to be hyped for Three Houses. I should like these types of games. I played a lot of XCOM, I've played RTS, played things like Rimworld that have tactics and strategy. I should be good at this. But I just don't know. I tried to watch a Let's Play of Fates and gave up about 10 levels in because the story was so bad. Plus Fates did the Pokemon thing with 3 versions and with a name like Three Houses I'm worried about the same. I don't know if that's been disproven or proven or what, I'm not really following the prerelease at all. I guess maybe I'll wait to see what others feel about it before biting.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's referring to the customization more than anything else
not really. Corrin has more options, but nothing drastic enough.
I'm intrigued. In what ways did you find Corrin better than Robin?
It's an avatar in sense that it's "your character" or meant to represent you. At least that how I see it.

But both of them have define personalities. Both have narrative "choices" that have too make, but none of them really matter, except a few in Fates, which Is one reason why Corrin is a better "avatar".

As a character I think both are mediocre.
Robin is too perfect with tactics
Corrin is an idiot, but other main characters around him/her are even dumber, impressively no less. (Azura is worst in my opinion).

But In all honestly. I think both characters fail in the concept of being an Avatar.

But that's just me. Most don't agree with my opinion.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
not really. Corrin has more options, but nothing drastic enough.

It's an avatar in sense that it's "your character" or meant to represent you. At least that how I see it.

But both of them have define personalities. Both have narrative "choices" that have too make, but none of them really matter, except a few in Fates, which Is one reason why Corrin is a better "avatar".

As a character I think both are mediocre.
Robin is too perfect with tactics
Corrin is an idiot, but other main characters around him/her are even dumber, impressively no less. (Azura is worst in my opinion).

But In all honestly. I think both characters fail in the concept of being an Avatar.

But that's just me. Most don't agree with my opinion.
Oh I see. You want more of a blank slate and your decisions to more directly affect the narrative. That is an unpopular opinion :P

Jan 9, 2018
Plus Fates did the Pokemon thing with 3 versions and with a name like Three Houses I'm worried about the same.
I can tell you for a fact that this isn't the case. The Three Houses are literally just referring to three different "Houses" so like, think Game of Thrones. It's just the one game, one version.

Oh yeah also, even if you do play it and don't like it, at least you'll get to use the Three Houses cast in Heroes eventually lol. I mean, I certainly hope you like Three Houses of course, but even I'm a little apprehensive so it's not like I can say anything more than that tbh. I really need to see more of the game...

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
I hope character shipping is back.
After Echoes, I realized that part of FE is actually fun and I missed it.

I agree. As long as they can handle children better, which shouldn't be hard as anything is better than watching Interstellar and saying "lol idk just put them in an outrealm", or get rid of children altogether, I think it's a beneficial part of the game that attracts a lot of people.

I'm personally hoping that if there's an avatar, assuming it's Byleth for speculation's sake, they have a much lesser role in the story. Given that Byleth is Edelgard's teacher, they could maybe be the Jagen. Robin is definitely the less offensive of both avatars since Fates completely revolves around Corrin, but both have too much of a part in the story in my opinion, especially considering they're self-inserts. If the avatar is written well and has an integral role, that's one thing, but I'm not sure I trust them.

Jan 9, 2018
About Supports, I just hope they allow for better developed relationships. It doesn't matter which game you look at, although Fates was pretty bad, but it will never not be annoying when the conversations go "we should be friends" at A rank but are deeply in love all of a sudden for the S rank.

They should slightly reduce the number of romantic options for other characters except for the Avatar and the protagonist, and ensure there are more same sex options, especially for the Avatar. Let the cast build up more developed friendships instead of focusing on weird gimmicks for the C-A ranks and then having the S rank about them being randomly in love. And this isn't about supports but I just hope the cast actually interacts with the main characters for more than their introductory chapter.

And as for the Avatar themselves, more meaningful choices would be nice. It doesn't have to be as crazy as that one choice in Fates that you know, requires you to pay to see it lol. But something like decisions adding up to decide which armies are your allies for specific battles and who may end up being your enemy, that would be a cool system to implement. What I like in an Avatar tho, is a strong personality. If they don't feel like a part of the world, then they're useless. Corrin doesn't work for me because they don't believably feel like a person who would exist in Fates. Corrin gets kissed up to all the time because you the player paid for the game and so IS has to completely service you as thanks.
--------------------------------
Edited out opposite for same, thanks Ondor lol.

Last edited:

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I agree. As long as they can handle children better, which shouldn't be hard as anything is better than watching Interstellar and saying "lol idk just put them in an outrealm", or get rid of children altogether, I think it's a beneficial part of the game that attracts a lot of people.

I'm personally hoping that if there's an avatar, assuming it's Byleth for speculation's sake, they have a much lesser role in the story. Given that Byleth is Edelgard's teacher, they could maybe be the Jagen. Robin is definitely the less offensive of both avatars since Fates completely revolves around Corrin, but both have too much of a part in the story in my opinion, especially considering they're self-inserts. If the avatar is written well and has an integral role, that's one thing, but I'm not sure I trust them.

Yep same. People complaining about shipping in the series don't know what they're talking about (marth x caeda and eliwood x ninian have been things since forever). I would love to see children if they're implemented well but proper characterization has to be key (through story narratives and support convos, these are the key things in making characters in fe games interesting).

Robin's perfectly fine as an avatar and I really don't understand the whole blank slate/mary-sue thing about avatars through.
They work really well as a way to interact with characters in the game. Sure, these characters will never be very popular relatively but I feel like its easier to get involved in the story when I play as them.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only played two Fire Emblem games.

The first was Radiant Dawn, which a friend got me for my birthday. I jacked it up to the highest difficulty because I'm good at video games, right? About 15 restarts over 3 days later, I decided this wasn't for me. Friend asked me if I was liking it, I said I kind of wasn't. He took it and returned it for a refund. Hell of a guy. That's neither here nor there, but it wasn't a wonderful taste in my mouth for the series.

The 2nd is Heroes, which I only picked up because about 15 of my friends, FE fans all, were playing it. All of them quit, but I actually stayed playing. Sure it's mobile cashgrab trash, but between ftp hero events and being generous with orbs I don't find myself wanting for power to do basic stuff without paying money. I'm kind of bad at it, but the game doesn't really punish me for being kind of bad at it, so that works well.

I *want* to be hyped for Three Houses. I should like these types of games. I played a lot of XCOM, I've played RTS, played things like Rimworld that have tactics and strategy. I should be good at this. But I just don't know. I tried to watch a Let's Play of Fates and gave up about 10 levels in because the story was so bad. Plus Fates did the Pokemon thing with 3 versions and with a name like Three Houses I'm worried about the same. I don't know if that's been disproven or proven or what, I'm not really following the prerelease at all. I guess maybe I'll wait to see what others feel about it before biting.
The issue with radiant dawn's difficulty settings is that they were translated wrong. Easy in english was actually normal, Normal was hard, and hard was basically the game's lunatic mode

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't like avatars. If they have a personality then they aren't an avatar and when you have an actual avatar, they aren't written strongly enough. Instead of branching conversation paths, I'd rather see the effort go into better supports.