• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
To put it in perspective, 3H is already the 2nd best selling Fire Emblem of all time and Link's Awakening remake has already outsold Majora's Mask!

Oh wow!!! That's great news then. I see 40 million switch units sold, and stuff like Mario a Odyssey and Zelda over 10 million and I think I just assumed their first party stuff all sold like that. I'm glad they are successful :) I hope we get more Zelda re-do's and FE in the future.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The sales are very healthy. I think people's expectations were a bit inflated between the success of Heroes, the Switch boost, and the critical acclaim/fan love for Three Houses. But LTE will probably be 3.5-4 million which will still be a success overall.

Remember, this series had a literal do-or-die moment just 7 years ago with Awakening.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Three houses has the potential for 4 million.

For a SRPG. That's a fantastic result and probably one ranks as one of the highest selling SRPG. It also shows going to be the best selling Fire emblem. Awakening wasn't as front loaded either, it sold here there. It took us a while to find out that it reached 2 million.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Those are great numbers, glad to see for both games.

Wish Dragon Quest sold like this in the West.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Latest investor meeting slide show Fates lower than Awakening, and earlier people said it sold better, huh.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Fates' sales are complicated since there are 3 SKU's (Birthright, Conquest, Revelations). Any given title sold less than Awakening, but as a whole they outsold it.

But counting them as a whole is deceptive, because beyond the initial purchase, separate routes were sold as $20 DLC -- and that's counted into the 2.94m sold figure, making it highly misleading. Any fan that bought all three routes counts as three purchases.

In terms of individual purchasers, Fates probably did a bit worse than Awakening. At most, equal. And in terms of revenue, Three Houses should be quite a bit ahead, owing to its $60 price point, compared to Fates SKUs' $20 - $40 prices (plus Season Pass vs small individually purchasable DLCs).

In short, Three Houses should be the best-selling Fire Emblem game at present, or very close to it. With the upcoming holidays and story DLC, it'll easily pass 3m.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
But counting them as a whole is deceptive, because beyond the initial purchase, separate routes were sold as $20 DLC -- and that's counted into the 2.94m sold figure, making it highly misleading. Any fan that bought all three routes counts as three purchases.

In terms of individual purchasers, Fates probably did a bit worse than Awakening. At most, equal. And in terms of revenue, Three Houses should be quite a bit ahead, owing to its $60 price point, compared to Fates SKUs' $20 - $40 prices (plus Season Pass vs small individually purchasable DLCs).

In short, Three Houses should be the best-selling Fire Emblem game at present, or very close to it. With the upcoming holidays and story DLC, it'll easily pass 3m.
You don't need to say probably, the slides they just posted outright says it did:
12345.PNG

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A Geneology remake is the general consensus for the next FE game, but whatever the next game is I don't think it'll come out for a while. Most people think IS is making another Paper Mario, actually.

Wasn't most of Three Houses done by Tecmo Koei anyway? Mainly the ones behind their strategy games?(Romance of the 3 Kingdoms)

Sep 14, 2019
with the success of three houses, do you guys think remakes of older titles with the same production values would be a good or bad idea? if three houses is what sets the expectations people have from the series, would remakes of older games that don't have many of those elements risk turning people off from the series?
Nintendo (or Intelligent Systems, given the creative freedom these third party partners have - though Nintendo would have to approve the project either way) already risked that with Shadows of Valentia, which was so true to the NES game that it felt a bit archaic gameplay wise, and the project even had production values arguably better in some ways than prior games. Going from a title which set a huge record for the series with 2.8 million sales, to a remake of a niche Japan only game, was a huge bet, especially in 2017 when the 3DS was slowing down. I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't do that again.
It's bigger than Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby, DK, ARMS, etc.
Wouldn't throw in DK, even if we're just talking about the past few years. I think TF sold around 2 million units on Wii U, and around 2.3+ million on Switch? Not great numbers, but one of those is a Wii U game, the other is a port of an old game, and they're about in line with the 3DS FE games. If DKCTF ends up at 2.5-2.8 mil on Switch lifetime, and FE:TH ends up at around 3-4 million lifetime, I feel like that's a pretty small disparity in sales considering how little Tropical Freeze was marketed in comparison, and that it's an older game.

DKCR did 6 million on Wii, if we got a brand new one it could very possibly be quite a bit bigger than FE honestly.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo (or Intelligent Systems, given the creative freedom these third party partners have - though Nintendo would have to approve the project either way)

Nintendo doesn't just "approve the project", they have a specific production unit that produces and co-develops the series with the IS leads. The directors (like Genki Yokota) and planners from Nintendo, are the ones who draw up what each game is going to be.

Sep 14, 2019
Nintendo doesn't just "approve the project", they have a specific production unit that produces and co-develops the series with the IS leads. The directors (like Genki Yokota) and planners from Nintendo, are the ones who draw up what each game is going to be.
Yeah, so the point stands. I don't think remakes are out of the question just because they could alienate newer fans. Nintendo already took a move with Echoes.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah. Three houses has the potential for 4 million.

For a SRPG. That's a fantastic result and probably one ranks as one of the highest selling SRPG. It also shows going to be the best selling Fire emblem. Awakening wasn't as front loaded either, it sold here there. It took us a while to find out that it reached 2 million.
For a JRPG, in general, that is very good. If the series continues to improve and grow both in gameplay and presentation then it could become a series that rivals FF over time. I think Three Houses will have legs albeit not quite evergreen status

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to say probably, the slides they just posted outright says it did:
12345.PNG

I'm confused, this chart puts Awakening below 2 million, but the last reported number for Awakening was 2.28 million. Is this only counting physical? Or is it shipped vs sold through? I can't imagine there are 300k unsold copies of Awakening floating around.

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, this chart puts Awakening below 2 million, but the last reported number for Awakening was 2.28 million. Is this only counting physical? Or is it shipped vs sold through? I can't imagine there are 300k unsold copies of Awakening floating around.
Japan, North America and Europe aren't the only places in the world.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
12345.PNG
This is counting sell-through for the first 13 weeks after release. These aren't LTD numbers for Awakening and Fates, it's launch-aligned.

It's probably fair to assume though that Three Houses will come out on top in the end.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
This is counting sell-through for the first 13 weeks after release. These aren't LTD numbers for Awakening and Fates, it's launch-aligned.

It's probably fair to assume though that Three Houses will come out on top in the end.
No, the grey bars are LTD sales. However, only for Japan, NA and Europe, so the graphic is omitting a bit of data.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Do we know if those numbers count each region's different launch window when determining the first 13 weeks? Or dtotalo they use sell-through up to 13 weeks after the EU release date, for example?

Edit: talking about the red bars, just to be clear. Because only 500k-ish more after each region's 13 weeks seems very low to me for Fates, whrn thr first 13 weeks saw 1.5M.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if those numbers count each region's different launch window when determining the first 13 weeks? Or dtotalo they use sell-through up to 13 weeks after the EU release date, for example?

Edit: talking about the red bars, just to be clear. Because only 500k-ish more after each region's 13 weeks seems very low to me for Fates, whrn thr first 13 weeks saw 1.5M.
No it seems right to me, Fates definitely had crap legs.

For instance, using those inflated shipment numbers, Fates had 1.06m to NA in the launch quarter, then from there on out over the next 33 months including the European launch, it only tacked on another 1.1m worldwide. When you consider a good portion of that 1.1m is the European launch in the first place (and for that matter, weeks 7-13 in NA), then the remaining part is inflated too, it looks about right.