• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This happens when you shrink a TV game into handheld. It happens to every PS4 game I remote-play with the Vita.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
This is Nintendo Threehouse gameplay on my TV.

D-3sdtUXUAEjrnE

This is Edge of Tomorrow with subtitles, same viewing distance.

D-3sePMWwAADmKo

Why do videogame subtitles have to be so freaking small?
Right on, man. Good avatar, and good points.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, not specifically about FE, but how in general way too many games hover between uncomfortable and unusable. Give me text size options.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a common mistake for teams making their first jump to HD games. It would totally suck if the game gets ruined by being a text heavy game with tiny text.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It looks perfect to me. I hated how big Xenoblade 2's UI was. But I also have glasses and a giant TV.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It looks perfectly fine to me, but I understand that the option should be available on any game with a small default font. I see the examples about Xc2, and even if it's not bad at all, I would prefer the option to reduce the font/UI as it was a little bit intrusive IMO.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It's the usual negativity that one can expect from this forum. In the absence of genuine controversy they're trying to stir up drama through minor nitpicks like the text size, game length (apparently a full priced game being 80 hours or more is somehow a bad thing), and the box art.

What the hell is wrong with some of you? It's not all that negative a topic except for the people who almost seem offended at the op for some wacky reason. Someone thinks the text is small in portable. Some people agree, some don't. Y'all are in here acting like people are talking boycotts and trying to bash the game. It's not the first time text on a switch game is a bit small and it won't be the last. No one is hurting anyone by making a thread talking about it. Like seriously,we've got jokers talking about being gaslit? It's a difference of opinion on a font in a game. Chill.

Great thread, not specifically about FE, but how in general way too many games hover between uncomfortable and unusable. Give me text size options.

The dragon quest builders 2 demo had some small text as well. Still going to buy, of course, but wish it were bigger.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
With regards to the Xenoblade 2 comparison, not only was the font itself small, but it was also an atrocious font that kind of faded around the edges, making the part that reads well even smaller than the absolute boundaries of the font. The font here will be at least slightly more readable if we are allowed to change the color of the text box so it contrasts better, but the serifs pose a problem with them eating up some of the space and imposing the main lines of the lettering to smaller than they need to be.

It ain't great, but this barely registers on the list of worst UIs and fonts to me. Options are always good, though, and the English font looks like it is simply worse than the JP font, which just sucks.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
One of the drawbacks for the switch design. Games wont be made truly with handheld in mind anymore because they're designed to work with TVs primarily.

Is that actually how they're approaching it? Because that sounds incredibly backwards to me. Surely the more optimal approach would be to design with the handheld in mind and scale upwards, y'know?

If you look up responsive web design, one of the key ideas is "mobile first": you design with the smallest screen in mind, such as a standard smartphone screen, and then scale upwards from there. And one of the reasons why is because it's far easier to do that than to start big and scale down. I'd imagine this would be a proper approach for Switch development, since it by design must juggle between multiple resolution sizes.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I am on a semi black out so i didn't notice this till now. :( What a waste of free space, they should really increase the font size. Nintendo, please fix this :(

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
This comparison was done on a 86" TV.

D-3sdtUXUAEjrnE

D-3sePMWwAADmKo

There is no excuse for videogame subtitles to be so freaking small.

Honestly I prefer the text size in Three Houses and find that movie subtitles take up too much space, blocking parts of the on-screen action. I can see why some people may struggle with the size, but this specific screenshot of Three Houses looks perfect to my liking.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I prefer the text size in Three Houses and find that movie subtitles take up too much space, blocking parts of the on-screen action. I can see why some people may struggle with the size, but this specific screenshot of Three Houses looks perfect to my liking.
subtitles are that way after years of accessibity studies. your liking can be an option, but subtitles must be some kind of way due to accessibility issues

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I dont get the "Battle UI" comparision.
Its 2 different things being compared there.
On 3DS its the pre battle screen, while on Switch its the actual battle being shown.

Once you confirm the attack on 3ds, and you go to the actual battle, there is no UI on screen at all, with all of it going to the second screen.

For example, this is the screen that is the equivalent to the 3DS screen for the pre battle ui:

NSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_02.jpg

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
What's the text look like on an actual regular 3DS and not an XL? Still appropriate for grandparent readability?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hopefully some of the text and UI elements scale up a bit when going from Docked to Handheld, as well as just having adjustable options for Text size in the game settings. Though I doubt some of those UI elements will change much, if at all, let alone be affected by any potential user controlled options. Text in dialogue boxes is easy to adjust, but lots of those icons and what not are probably going to be as is. They're fine for me but I can see how it might be challenging and simply not comfortable for some.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Ok, with the Switch Lite having a smaller screen it's even more important for games to have options for bigger text size - or just to have text optimized for handheld mode to begin with!

You know i'd be interested in seeing someone edit the text to fill the text box just to get an idea of what it could look like.
Right, good idea.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* man I hate how so many games feel the need to have itty bitty text. Some of us have shitty eyesight.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Now imagine this in a 480p screen.
xenoblade-chronicles-x-tyrant.jpg
I remember this, and I actually expected it to be solved with the switch since you're selling the game as something that can be played outside, even more so with the new model they just announced :/ (The screen is even smaller for that one)

I understand that there's people that don't like having a cluttered screen, and I hate when a command takes like one third of the screen, but there's better ways than this.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It makes me wonder if the majority of development and testing are done docked on a TV in a lot of cases. I felt the same way about Octopath Traveler, which had tiny text and a bit of a non-standard font that made things more difficult to read in handheld than it should have been. Xenoblade 2 is kinda the opposite, where text is frickin' HUGE. LOL It'd be nice if there was a Nintendo guideline/requirement for docked/handheld text size, at least when it comes to in-game dialogue and menus/tooltips. I kinda get it when a game started on a platform that isn't Switch, but these games that are exclusives or come out there first, it seems like a big oversight.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this still a thing in 2019? Unbelievable. Do they not play their own games?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
This comparison was done on a 86" TV.

D-3sdtUXUAEjrnE

D-3sePMWwAADmKo

There is no excuse for videogame subtitles to be so freaking small.

Okay I see what people are saying now, I apologize.

I shrunk my browser window down so that the image becomes roughly the size of the Switch screen, and yeah that feels small.

They should dynamically adjust font size based on portable/docked mode.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
DQB2 text is really small on portable mode, at least for an old fart like me. FE seems better, at least on screenshots, we'll see in two weeks. How small is the Lite screen?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I swear I've squinted more this gen than any others when it comes to the damn font sizes of text in games.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
720p is still crisp on an original Switch screen but not on a big tv. I'm more concern with the diagonal surface of the menus.

When XC2 goes down to 480p, you notice it easily, even in portable mode. It's like 3DS all over again. But as far as I seen video of FE, it seems pretty much 720@60 all the time isn't it?

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
It is small, and that's unfortunate. I wish modern games used a larger font size. I loved XC2 because of this. I dropped playing XCX on Wii U because of the strain on my eye from the impossibly tiny text in that game.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its incredible when indie devs can create unique game layouts and fonts for TV/portable mode, yet first party Nintendo games do not.

Just seems to be a weird lack of uniformity when taking advantage of the Switch features overall within first party studios, or rather there is no system for uniformity in place.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Movie subtitles are typically regulated to always be the same size, videogames have no such rules so people do whatever they want.

Also, changing font size late in dev can be a big issue depending on how the game was built.

Its super annoying

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Movie subtitles are typically regulated to always be the same size, videogames have no such rules so people do whatever they want.

Also, changing font size late in dev can be a big issue depending on how the game was built.

Its super annoying
Would it be possible to made it adaptative as websites? Say, you limit the font size to two min/max value? I guess it would be hell to QA though.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be possible to made it adaptative as websites? Say, you limit the font size to two min/max value? I guess it would be hell to QA though.

Every game codes their shit differently and Japanese games are made to favor Japanese text so I have no idea. You would need the big publishers to agree on a set of guidelines for accessibility in all their games in order to see some standardized results

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017

Its super annoying

There are regulations, but game companies have been given exemptions until recently.

I think there is a legitimate complaint to made here, by people hard of sight, that the text is too small. Obviously we'll have to wait for the game to come out first, to see if we can configure it, but there are certainly regulations...

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, with the Switch Lite having a smaller screen it's even more important for games to have options for bigger text size - or just to have text optimized for handheld mode to begin with!
That was really the bump segue? There could be an option to or it might have gotten edited since then. We still know basically nothing and the switch lite really has nothing to do with this

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
That was really the bump segue? There could be an option to or it might have gotten edited since then. We still know basically nothing and the switch lite really has nothing to do with this
Of course it has, its screen is slightly smaller than the normal one, making text even smaller.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if you guys have played Dragon Quest Builders 2 demo, but the font is also so freaking small. It's not a Switch exclusive issue though...it's the same on PS4 unfortunately.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Not sure if you guys have played Dragon Quest Builders 2 demo, but the font is also so freaking small. It's not a Switch exclusive issue though...it's the same on PS4 unfortunately.
Yeah, I guess it's a question about aesthetics vs usability. I would like to vote with my wallet but DQB2 is eagerly waited by my daughter and I want to play something on my Switch (so FE it is).