• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
A couple of DLC packs ago, they added a playable character for Crimson Flower only. They have supports and all unlike Anna.

Jeritza
Yeah I know about that character, I bought the season pass day one, I meant more like bringing back some of the classes from older games, because right now I usually end up with a handful of gremories, a couple bow knight, and a wyvern Lord. Like even when you specifically avoid having multiples of the same class it's hard to build a team with no repeats.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I consider Golden Deer the Golden Route. Of course some characters die, but it is the closest to a nice ending for most in my opinion.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know about that character, I bought the season pass day one, I meant more like bringing back some of the classes from older games, because right now I usually end up with a handful of gremories, a couple bow knight, and a wyvern Lord. Like even when you specifically avoid having multiples of the same class it's hard to build a team with no repeats.
I think they should have had more master classes, I agree. Although the Advanced Classes are meant to be viable late-endgame too. I know I usually kept at least one Fortress Knight around.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, season pass definitely hasn't been the greatest value for how much it cost

It seems like each route's fans are very unique

Golden Deer: You write fanfiction of the classmates in your freetime and stan Hufflepuff
Black Eagles: Crimson Flower: Three Houses was your first FE game and you are easily distracted by anime women
Azure Moon: Snarky long time FE fans who never shut up about Dmitri's character arc and then tell you to go play Geneology
Black Eagles: Silver Snow: No one is a fan of this route

.....da fuck is this?

The shade is real, lmao.

It's also kind of unfortunate that romancing Rhea probably won't have any real effect on any of the endings, even the Church route.

Teeeeeeeechnically.....

Having an S-rank with Rhea means she lives, at least in Verdant Winds route after sacrificing herself to stop the ICBMs- but you're right in that it doesn't change the story up significantly, IIRC

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It does have an ending no?
I remember having a clear ending with her when i romanced her and chosed the church over edelgard.

I mean, can you marry Rhea? I didn't think that was possible, given what happens to her, but I don't remember. It would be nice if having tea times and all that made it possible to marry her.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

Golden Deer: You write fanfiction of the classmates in your freetime and stan Hufflepuff
Black Eagles: Crimson Flower: Three Houses was your first FE game and you are easily distracted by anime women
Azure Moon: Snarky long time FE fans who never shut up about Dmitri's character arc and then tell you to go play Geneology
I usually enjoy these kind of hot takes but this seems way off-base.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, season pass definitely hasn't been the greatest value for how much it cost

.....da fuck is this?

The shade is real, lmao.

Teeeeeeeechnically.....

Having an S-rank with Rhea means she lives, at least in Verdant Winds route after sacrificing herself to stop the ICBMs- but you're right in that it doesn't change the story up significantly, IIRC

Oh shit, I hadn't realized that. I guess I know which ending I'm aiming for next.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The Church

Is weak. It has soft power and its knights are the best trained in the continent, but they aren'tan actual army. You literally have an NPC say as much in part 1. They don't have the numbers to fight any one of the nations' militaries. They're basically the Swiss Guard. The only route that is inconsistent about this is Crimson Flower because Crimson Flower bends the plot over backwards to make things work.
One of the first things we see with the Church is that Jeralt accepts going back to it because he sees no point in trying to hide from what he calls a ridiculously massive organization. This isn't even a spoiler, it happens in the first few chapters.

They also have enough influence over the Kingdom that they can execute one of their lords and many of their captured soldiers without a trial. Even if the Church's own army isn't that large, the Kingdom is more than happy to fight by their side.

Every nation is shown to turn to the Church to some degree, even the Empire despite the Church's influence in starting the war to split it and the Kingdom, something that is very strange unless the Church is still a fairly strong organization overall. It makes a lot more sense to me that the Church's influence across the continent could keep both the Kingdom, and a significant portion of the alliance in a stalemate vs the Empire with how it is presented in part 1, than them suddenly being forced on the defensive.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, can you marry Rhea? I didn't think that was possible, given what happens to her, but I don't remember. It would be nice if having tea times and all that made it possible to marry her.
Yes, yes you can.
You need to choose her route in the second part of the game, if not, you cant S rank her.

I did Silver Snow and I liked it. Though I would probably have chosen Golden Deer if I knew what was gonna happen with Edelgard.
So I basically made all the students from other classes join me and then told edelgard to fuck off with her phycho plans as she was adamant of not redeeming herself.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney

I don't write fanfiction.
I don't write anything.
And I stan Ravenclaw dammit.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first things we see with the Church is that Jeralt accepts going back to it because he sees no point in trying to hide from what he calls a ridiculously massive organization. This isn't even a spoiler, it happens in the first few chapters.

They also have enough influence over the Kingdom that they can execute one of their lords and many of their captured soldiers without a trial. Even if the Church's own army isn't that large, the Kingdom is more than happy to fight by their side.

Every nation is shown to turn to the Church to some degree, even the Empire despite the Church's influence in starting the war to split it and the Kingdom, something that is very strange unless the Church is still a fairly strong organization overall. It makes a lot more sense to me that the Church's influence across the continent could keep both the Kingdom, and a significant portion of the alliance in a stalemate vs the Empire with how it is presented in part 1, than them suddenly being forced on the defensive.
Jeralt is a single man. Not an army. Even if you count his mercenaries, he's a small mercenary group, not an army. That is literally the exact kind of mission the Knights of Seiros handle. And he says nothing about a "massive organization."

Because that lord literally raised a small army to attack the Church. Moreover your argument was that the Church being weak is inconsistent, what does their ability to call on aid from the Kingdom have to do with that? That's soft power that no one is arguing they don't have. They're completely routed in every route except Crimson Flower because ecery route is consistent with one another except Crimson Flower.

You have clearly forgotten where this whole discussion started (you saying that characterization is inconsistent across every route and me pointing out that no, it's only inconsistent in one route) because now you're arguing something completely different. Something that is also entirely unsupported by any route except Crimson Flower (and even then only supported in the sense that Edelgard says it). So I get the sneaking suspicion you've actually only played the one route.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Jeralt is a single man. Not an army. Even if you count his mercenaries, he's a small mercenary group, not an army. That is literally the exact kind of mission the Knights of Seiros handle. And he says nothing about a "massive organization."

Because that lord literally raised a small army to attack the Church. Moreover your argument was that the Church being weak is inconsistent, what does their ability to call on aid from the Kingdom have to do with that? That's soft power that no one is arguing they don't have. They're completely routed in every route except Crimson Flower because ecery route is consistent with one another except Crimson Flower.

You have clearly forgotten where this whole discussion started (you saying that characterization is inconsistent across every route and me pointing out that no, it's only inconsistent in one route) because now you're arguing something completely different. Something that is also entirely unsupported by any route except Crimson Flower (and even then only supported in the sense that Edelgard says it). So I get the sneaking suspicion you've actually only played the one route.
Jeralt does call the church a massive organization, again it's one of the first things he says about it.

I can accept that taking out Lord Lanato was just part of the mission they were brought in for(though i think it says a lot that the Church would be trusted to handle a rogue lord instead of the Kingdom), but no nation is letting an independent organization take their own citizens as prisoners of war out of their territory and executing them without that organization having significant power over them.

The Church influencing the war that created the Kingdom is not only supported by Edelgard, books in their own library point out that the foundation of the Kingdom was something the Church had a hand in.
But even if that wasn't true, the leaders of the Empire believe it, they sure as hell wouldn't keep playing along with the Church for a few hundred years if there wasn't influential enough to make going against it a bad idea.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Jeralt does call the church a massive organization, again it's one of the first things he says about it.

I can accept that taking out Lord Lanato was just part of the mission they were brought in for(though i think it says a lot that the Church would be trusted to handle a rogue lord instead of the Kingdom), but no nation is letting an independent organization take their own citizens as prisoners of war out of their territory and executing them without that organization having significant power over them.

The Church influencing the war that created the Kingdom is not only supported by Edelgard, books in their own library point out that the foundation of the Kingdom was something the Church had a hand in.
But even if that wasn't true, the leaders of the Empire believe it, they sure as hell wouldn't keep playing along with the Church for a few hundred years if there wasn't influential enough to make going against it a bad idea.

I dont know why anyone would trust edelgard words any more than the church really. Both clearly bend the truth whenever they need it, we even see Edelgard doing that in CF.
iirc, the church were responsible for creating the kingdom, but that was because they were there on the peace talks, not that they started the rebelion that tore the empire in two, Edelgard claiming "they divided the empire to create a kingdom, and divided a kingdom to create an alliance" is either straigh up lying to her troops or just the royal family still being salty about losing the territory and blaming the church for the end result.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

Silver Snow is my favorite route :D

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The main game is a cake walk, so I imagine their idea of difficulty is a bit eschew.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know why anyone would trust edelgard words any more than the church really. Both clearly bend the truth whenever they need it, we even see Edelgard doing that in CF.
iirc, the church were responsible for creating the kingdom, but that was because they were there on the peace talks, not that they started the rebelion that tore the empire in two, Edelgard claiming "they divided the empire to create a kingdom, and divided a kingdom to create an alliance" is either straigh up lying to her troops or just the royal family still being salty about losing the territory and blaming the church for the end result.
To be fair, I agree that it's hard to say how much impact the Church had in the creation of the Kingdom. But feel it's not just a lie.

Claims of the Church being a major factor in that are never disproved, and the Kingdom gets the full name of "Holy Kingdom of Faerghus" which certainly suggests that it's the Church's favorite. What we do know is that the Church's power was waning before that war and that the Empire wanted it gone, not in a good position to have a hand in peace talks, and afterwards it becomes the neutral between the two and seemingly regains influence.

The Church having a hand in that conflict is far from unreasonable, and the only comment on the subject says as much. But yes it is a bit of a grey area since we never see it. At the very least I doubt Edelgard thinks it's a lie because she keeps Byleth in the loop in situations like that post timeskip.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What we do know is that the Church's power was waning before that war and that the Empire wanted it gone, not in a good position to have a hand in peace talks, and afterwards it becomes the neutral between the two and seemingly regains influence.
These are not things we know. The Church's bad blood with the Empire didn't start until after brokering a peace that founded the Kingdom. And starting a war on the continent runs counter to everything that motivates Rhea. Peace by any means, even deifying her enemies or letting systems she disagrees with stay in place, because war is too costly.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I agree that it's hard to say how much impact the Church had in the creation of the Kingdom. But feel it's not just a lie.

Claims of the Church being a major factor in that are never disproved, and the Kingdom gets the full name of "Holy Kingdom of Faerghus" which certainly suggests that it's the Church's favorite. What we do know is that the Church's power was waning before that war and that the Empire wanted it gone, not in a good position to have a hand in peace talks, and afterwards it becomes the neutral between the two and seemingly regains influence.

The Church having a hand in that conflict is far from unreasonable, and the only comment on the subject says as much. But yes it is a bit of a grey area since we never see it. At the very least I doubt Edelgard thinks it's a lie because she keeps Byleth in the loop in situations like that post timeskip.

I think you could sum up the game plot as

These are not things we know.

The game likes that alot, it allows it to have enough information for the players to pick a side but not enough to clearly say which is more correct or not. That is also one of the reasons why i think a prequel would not work, too many answers, it would make it clear who is right or wrong and that would invalidate at least one route.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

The game likes that alot, it allows it to have enough information for the players to pick a side but not enough to clearly say which is more correct or not. That is also one of the reasons why i think a prequel would not work, too many answers, it would make it clear who is right or wrong and that would invalidate at least one route.
I love that it's not clear that one route is "right" or "wrong". I've seen people call certain characters fascists, and others say said same characters were in the right and did nothing wrong. (you probably know which character I am talking about, but I won't say their name outside of spoilers)

In Fates there was basically no real reason to side with Nohr other than that game being the better game.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
So, if I am in the middle of a house playthrough I will need to restart once this dlc drops?

You might have to restart if you want to use the new characters in your main game if you are too far into that route, but the dlc story itself is separate.

In Fates there was basically no real reason to side with Nohr other than that game being the better game.

Yes but then
if you marry one of the royals of the hoshido side they reveal you are actually not connected by blood which means you betrayed the family that raised you for... nothing?

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I love that it's not clear that one route is "right" or "wrong". I've seen people call certain characters fascists, and others say said same characters were in the right and did nothing wrong. (you probably know which character I am talking about, but I won't say their name outside of spoilers)
You can pretty definitively say

Edelgard isn't a fascist. Her campaign doesn't have a basis in nationalism. She's got a bit of an authoritarian streak, but I don't think there's any basis upon which to make the argument she's fascist.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
You might have to restart if you want to use the new characters in your main game if you are too far into that route, but the dlc itself is separate.

Yes but then
if you marry one of the royals of the hoshido side they reveal you are actually not connected by blood which means you betrayed the family that raised you for... nothing?
Well I mean (and this is stuff that literally all happens within the first couple of hours in the game) your "father" is basically king Ganondorf and tries to have you executed multiple times, so I hardly see an issue with betraying him.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
You can pretty definitively say

Edelgard isn't a fascist. Her campaign doesn't have a basis in nationalism. She's got a bit of an authoritarian streak, but I don't think there's any basis upon which to make the argument she's fascist.
I've seen Edelgard called a fascist, and yeah I agree she isn't a fascist. I've also seen Rhea called a fascist, which I think there's a case for.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Edelgard called a fascist, and yeah I agree she isn't a fascist. I've also seen Rhea called a fascist, which I think there's a case for.
I think that is equally ridiculous, if not moreso. She not only lacks the nationalism, but she isn't even authoritarian (which is a defining characteristic of facism). Fodlan doesn't operate under a strong centralized government. Hell she doesn't even suppress political opposition outside of three literal attempts to assassinate her. By what metric would you say there is an argumen?

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
These are not things we know. The Church's bad blood with the Empire didn't start until after brokering a peace that founded the Kingdom. And starting a war on the continent runs counter to everything that motivates Rhea. Peace by any means, even deifying her enemies or letting systems she disagrees with stay in place, because war is too costly.
I wouldn't say Rhea's goal is peac, she just wants things stable enough to keep doing he human experiments.

Yeah, the game doesn't outright say a lot of things, and that does lead to the players having to make their own conclusions.

I don't think that's a bad thing, but it does also lead to players having biases towards events in certain routes.

Everyone is flawed. Edelgard starts a bloody conquest in hopes of fixing the mess the continent is in, Claude is planning to start a bloody conquest in hopes of fixing the mess the continent is in, Demitri will want to invade the Empire once he learns TWSITD are there and won't care who gets caught in it, and Rhea wants to continue trying to make the perfect human sacrifice to revive her mother and may or may not have had a hand in instigating wars to keep the church with enough power to let her get away with it.

It's fascinating, but makes conversations a mess when people have their favorites, haha.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Calling any character i

Honestly, calling anyone a fascist in a world that is largely derived from different types of European feudalism seems inappropriate, and missing the point.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say Rhea's goal is peac, she just wants things stable enough to keep doing he human experiments.

Everyone is flawed. Edelgard starts a bloody conquest in hopes of fixing the mess the continent is in, Claude is planning to start a bloody conquest in hopes of fixing the mess the continent is in, Demitri will want to invade the Empire once he learns TWSITD are there and won't care who gets caught in it, and Rhea wants to continue trying to make the perfect human sacrifice to revive her mother and may or may not have had a hand in instigating wars to keep the church with enough power to let her get away with it.

It's fascinating, but makes conversations a mess when people have their favorites, haha.
I was guessing before, but now I'm asking. Seriously, have you played any route other than Crimson Flower?

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I mean

Their core values aren't actually very opposed at all. Edelgard is literally just impatient Rhea. Every problem that Edelgard has with Rhea or the church, aside from Rhea not being human, wasn't actually caused by Rhea or the Church. The primary difference between them is that Rhea did everything in her power to maintain a steady peace, including things she was personally against. The 10 Elites literally aided in the genocide of her people and she lionized them in the religion she created. Moreover that religion is expressly against the system of nobility that humans set up following the war with Nemesis. The whole Crest thing would work itself out regardless because they were dwindling with each generation. And that power was stolen to begin with. Whereas Edelgard thought the bloodshed her war would cause was worth the expedited results. If they would just sit down and talk, honestly, they could see this. But they won't, because that's not who either of them is.
How in the world did you come to the conclusion that the church is against the system of nobility that it founded and upheld for over a thousand years? We even see Rhea insist on keeping what happened to Miklan a secret explicitly to protect the reputation of the nobility.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I think that is equally ridiculous, if not moreso. She not only lacks the nationalism, but she isn't even authoritarian (which is a defining characteristic of facism). Fodlan doesn't operate under a strong centralized government. Hell she doesn't even suppress political opposition outside of three literal attempts to assassinate her. By what metric would you say there is an argumen?
Remember all that "heretics must be executed!" stuff from the first half of the game?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
How in the world did you come to the conclusion that the church is against the system of nobility that it founded and upheld for over a thousand years? We even see Rhea insist on keeping what happened to Miklan a secret explicitly to protect the reputation of the nobility.
Because the school she runs actively discourages separation by class.

Because the religion she invented chastises those with crests for creating this system of nobility.
"The descendants of the Heroes sought their ancestor's power, and thusly their blood. In time, they amassed Crests, Relics, land, and wealth, using all to set the land aflame with war. The goddess's power, intended to stem the flow of evil, became a tool of destruction, all because of the greed of humanity. The goddess grieved and, heartbroken, hid herself in the heavens from whence she came."

Literally every time the nobility is addressed by the church it is negatively. The only person who thinks the church created the nobility intentionally is Edelgard who blames the church for literally everything.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do kind of regret playing Golden Deer first... Dimitri is a tough hang after spending 60 hours with the loveable Hufflepuffs of Fodlan.
Right? I tried doing Blue Lions but man, I miss Claude and all of my dear GD students. :(

I'll probably pick it back up after the DLC release. Only did a couple chapters.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Remember all that "heretics must be executed!" stuff from the first half of the game?
Yes, the heretics in question being the people who have tried and failed to assassinate her twice by that point and three times before you even get to the time skip. As for regular non-believers, maybe spend some time talking to Cyril to find out what her views are there.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Iiirc the churchs teachings are also a bit xenohobic and keep Fodlan away from relations outside the continent. And Rheas entire goal is keeping the status quo as it is and keeping power. The relationship between the church and the nobility/crest system is a feedback loop that excludes the people. The church gives nobles power and legitimacy through lies they tell people, and the nobles support the church and keep it in power. Anyone who deviates is executed. Though in practice she is not that fascist ideologically, you only really see her bend all the way that way in CF.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Lots more information on Serenes from Famitsu:

serenesforest.net

Three Houses: More Cindered Shadows Tidbits Via Famitsu! - Serenes Forest

As promised, this week’s issue of Famitsu, which includes a feature on Three Houses’s Cindered Shadows DLC story is now out! There are 12 pages, although the new stuff starts

Ashen Wolves' personal abilities:

Yuri: Righteous Heart – Might +3 during combat, when fighting at 1 Range with no allies adjacent.

Constance: Personality Switch – Strength and Magic +3 when indoors, Defence and Resistance +3 when outdoors.

Balthus: King of Grappling – Strength and Defence +6 when user has 50% or less HP.

Hapi: Monstrous Body – User's attacks are effective against monsters, but they are more easily targeted by monsters.

More at link.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the question, but how do I make the DLC work? I've beaten the game but since the DLC is prior to the time jump, do I need to restart the game?