• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough,

However, I also took it as Edelgard being offended by the mere thought that a dragon or "The immaculate one" was the one leading humanity rather than a human. Hubert especially wants jack and shit to do with divine beings and besides Byleth in the Crimson Flower route he's the one who has her ear. That's what I meant by "opposing core values". I don't see Edelgard being happy with any result that doesn't mean the end of Rhea's leadership and by extension the Church's because of her belief that humanity should be steered by humans themselves.
And that

Is another situation getting ready to work itself out. Rhea's pretty much resolved to give the Church to Byleth and had just about given up on getting her mom back when what she expected to happen didn't. She was done. Except in Crimson Flower wherein Edelgard reenacts the worst day of her life and Byleth sides with her. There's also the fact that Rhea and the Church had far less power than Edelgard was ascribing to them. But that's beside the point.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Meh, "golden route" seems infeasible as:
1/ There's no way Rhea/Seiros would agree to not having a dragon lead the "church" or whatever evolution of this institution would be named. At this point in the story she's insane and obsessed with reviving her mother so that another dragon could take her place as leader of the continent (either her mother herself or another spawn, as in all her insanity she's aware of it and understands someone should take her place, that someone being Byleth in all routes but CF).

2/ It'd be EXTREMELY difficult to convince Edel to let a "god" lead "mankind". I don't think she's actually all against "gods" in a vacuum. She's just extremely wary of them based on how they messed up a large part of mankind's history, either directly or indirectly (even a benevolent dragon leader could lead to another Agarthan situation by virtue of simply existing).

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, "golden route" seems infeasible as:
1/ There's no way Rhea/Seiros would agree to not having a dragon lead the "church" or whatever evolution of this institution would be named. At this point in the story she's insane and obsessed with reviving her mother so that another dragon could take her place as leader of the continent (either her mother herself or another spawn, as in all her insanity she's aware of it and understands someone should take her place, that someone being Byleth in all routes but CF).

2/ It'd be EXTREMELY difficult to convince Edel to let a "god" lead "mankind". I don't think she's actually all against "gods" in a vacuum. She's just extremely wary of them based on how they messed up a large part of mankind's history, either directly or indirectly (even a benevolent dragon leader could lead to another Agarthan situation by virtue of simply existing).
your number 1 doesnt fit Rhea when looking at Golden Deer path

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
your number 1 doesnt fit Rhea when looking at Golden Deer path
The three paths are inconsistent with the writing of some characters, making it hard to use one path as justification of actions in another.

It makes discussing how a golden path would play out difficult since it would have to bend some things anyway.
No talk about removing genderlocking...
Lame

I was going to say that but I thought I was not remembering things right about that path
One of the few things Fates got right, a shame to see it ignored...

Oct 25, 2017
because in golden deer
at the end she reflects on her actions, finds a lot of regret. Apologizes to Byleth, concedes she cared too much about resurrecting her mother, and her final fate is unknown. In Claude x Byleth she gives church ownership to byleth, otherwise she basically just fades out of history

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
because in golden deer
at the end she reflects on her actions, finds a lot of regret. Apologizes to Byleth, concedes she cared too much about resurrecting her mother, and her final fate is unknown. In Claude x Byleth she gives church ownership to byleth, otherwise she basically just fades out of history
Yes, I just don't see how that doesn't fit my point.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Is that Rhea was more or less looking to retire. Her big reason for reviving her mom was to paw off the church to her and step down. What Edelgard wanted was about to happen all on its own.

A lot of Three Houses' conflict could have been solved if the leaders had just sat down and talked about it. But they didn't. And that's the tragedy of it all. The reunification of Fódlan by force happened because of impatience and a lack of communication.

But with Rhea, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude being the people who could have avoided it, there was no avoiding it. If Edelgard hadn't started trouble, Dimitri or perhaps even Claude probably would. Or Rhea having to push back against one of them, lighting the spark of war herself. Fódlan was doomed, only the method of said doom was still an open question.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
They really should stop padding these season passes with worthless content just to increase the price. Just let me buy the content I want separately. I'm not spending 10 dollars more for a sauna and a couple of skins.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I would like a golden route where everyone just talks it out and goes after the actual enemy, I respect their reasoning for not doing it. The game comes off as somewhat tragic because of it.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Is that Rhea was more or less looking to retire. Her big reason for reviving her mom was to paw off the church to her and step down. What Edelgard wanted was about to happen all on its own.

A lot of Three Houses' conflict could have been solved if the leaders had just sat down and talked about it. But they didn't. And that's the tragedy of it all. The reunification of Fódlan by force happened because of impatience and a lack of communication.

But with Rhea, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude being the people who could have avoided it, there was no avoiding it. If Edelgard hadn't started trouble, Dimitri or perhaps even Claude probably would. Or Rhea having to push back against one of them, lighting the spark of war herself. Fódlan was doomed, only the method of said doom was still an open question.
Claude states in multiple routes he was gonna do it.

Dimitri on the other hand is another bag of hot potatoes. He simply by himself probably might not have caused a fuss, but his kingdom was a hot mess due to TWISTED schemes so it would probably have degenerated into some messy, messy civil war (with unforeseen consequences).

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Reiterating that no golden route is planned, and they were actively against it since it would become the "right path" in fan's minds. (Well, one of the interviewees liked the idea, but it really was never planned. Too much like Fates!)

GOOD

It's weird to be excited about the lack of a feature, but I'm glad they are choosing not to do a golden route as the discourse over which sides are right and wrong has been really interesting, as there's only really one objectively evil faction in the game and they aren't even playable.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
10 hours sounds about right. I wonder if stats are seeded or if it's just skills.

Much as I love the old FE experience, it would've been neat if Cinders let you recruit from a pool of everyone and the newbies on a new path.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Claude states in multiple routes he was gonna do it.

Dimitri on the other hand is another bag of hot potatoes. He simply by himself probably might not have caused a fuss, but his kingdom was a hot mess due to TWISTED schemes so it would probably have degenerated into some messy, messy civil war.
Dimitri would have started a Kingdom/Empire war as soon as he found out that TWSITD were working with the Empire AND caused the Tragedy of Duscur. Which would drag in Claude since half the Alliance would declare one way and half the other. That doesn't directly drag in the Church, but Rhea would probably want in on beating up the mole people.

War was enivitable by the time Byleth enters the scene. Edelgard was just fastest in triggering one.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
You said there's no way that would happen, as in Rhea can't be reasoned with, so you were provided an example of Rhea being reasoned with.
But she wasn't "reasoned with". She wanted "one of her own" (preferably her mother) to lead the church. When you side with her (in 3 of the routes) she simply accepts that you are her reincarnated mother (in some way) and has no issue letting you deal with the hot mess she left 🤷‍♀️

I mean she basically achieved all of her objectives (the ones that drove her insane). Her mother is back, she leads the church, and by the end of the game her archenemy is at the very least in shambles.

Edit:
Dimitri would have started a Kingdom/Empire war as soon as he found out that TWSITD were working with the Empire AND caused the Tragedy of Duscur. Which would drag in Claude since half the Alliance would declare one way and half the other. That doesn't directly drag in the Church, but Rhea would probably want in on beating up the mole people.

War was enivitable by the time Byleth enters the scene. Edelgard was just fastest in triggering one.
Fair point. Hard to disagree there.

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
The only way I can see a golden route work is

Is if TWISTD deposed Edelgard somehow in the timeskip, making her a fugitive. Edelgard is too stubborn and would only join with the others as a last resort. Would lead to Byleth and Claude trying to get Punished Edelgard and Punished Dimitri to work together for half the timeskip. Dunno how to fit Rhea in there, but I'm not sure you need her in a golden route,maybe TWISTD turns her into some stupid mechadragon thing. That way you're against TWISTD using the Empire and the Kingdom through Arundel and Cornelia. Personally, I don't like this at all.

I don't really like the idea of a golden route however, and am fine with there not being one.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
626658080322617354.png
That looks like a chipmunk.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
In theory I'm not against a golden route. But given the setup I just don't see how that would be possible unless they'd have to bend a lot of stuff.

I mean it's not like the current state of the routes is perfect but the whole setup makes sense as a starting point for the hot mess a strategy game needs.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
A golden route is meh. Unnecessary.
A new route that gives more world building would be sweeeeeet.
There's basically no reason to not have a route where you have both Dimitri and Claude.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
No. One path is inconsistent, but mostly reconcilable with the other 3. The other 3 paths are pretty much in agreement with one another.
nah, stuff like the church being pretty weak in two of the routes doesn't line up with how it was presented pre-timeskip.

Edelgard and Rhea both see quite a bit of inconsistency in order to make the conflict work.

The church has the largest influence over the Kingdom thanks to being a major part of its founding. Rhea probably would have been the one to instigate another war between it and the Empire the second she finds out TWSITD are there, which is likely what would have happened if Edelgard didn't make her move when she did since the church was very close to finding the Flame Emperor's identity.

And yeah, Demitri would have been all for it.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I figured no golden route, but honestly I'd rather have Crimson Flower fleshed out a bit more - it's definitely odd that one of the main 'routes' is a good chunk shorter than the others, and ends so abruptly.

Verdant Winds is probably the closest to a 'canon' route we'll get, if anything, and that's alright.

I guess I'm just curious at this point to see whether the devs stick the landing on integrating the DLC characters into the main plot at all after the DLC is done - generally, in my experience, it's been....rough, at best.

And having the DLC be its own contained story doesn't necessarily endear me to purchasing it, given FE's not-so-great price-to-content ratios.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

If we're talking a hypothetical route where they actually sit down and talk, I agree war is inevitable, but it's a greatly abbreviated war.

Yes, Dimitri would lose his shit, but he had no ability to declare war at that point. Even if he wanted to. Moreover, he wouldn't be under the same kind of pressure that completely shattered him outside of CF. He'd have the backing of the Church as he did there as well as Edelgard not leading the enemy side. Even if he did take control and declare war somehow...

You could easily have Edelgarde take the throne and return to Garreg Mach, as she did in all routes, and rule from there, as TWSitD can't get to her there. She had already imprisoned Ferdinand's father and both Casper and Lindhardt's fathers were loyal to her. That leaves Thales with a lot less martial authority in the Empire. They wouldn't be able to support the usurpation of the Kingdom as they had in the actual story. And that was the only reason that coup was as successful as it was.

The Alliance wouldn't fracture in this situation. The sides and the power are much clearer. The Church and the rightful heirs of the Empire and the Kingdom, as well as the lion's share of their martial might vs usurpers lead by a literal ancient evil.

And the Church could commit to supporting the war effort since they wouldn't have to unsuccessfully repel an invasion.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
nah, stuff like the church being pretty weak in two of the routes doesn't line up with how it was presented pre-timeskip.

Edelgard and Rhea both see quite a bit of inconsistency in order to make the conflict work.
The Church

Is weak. It has soft power and its knights are the best trained in the continent, but they aren'tan actual army. You literally have an NPC say as much in part 1. They don't have the numbers to fight any one of the nations' militaries. They're basically the Swiss Guard. The only route that is inconsistent about this is Crimson Flower because Crimson Flower bends the plot over backwards to make things work.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It'd be great to flesh out CF. If anything, as I'm sure many people would love to have more insight about 1000-years old events, it could be a great addition as side-missions.

I'm not 100% certain how the dynamic would work but we could be getting some new (hopefully reliable) info about Nemesis and Wilhelm and such. I mean there's gotta be some "traces" left to dig in the empire. It could even be some ambiguous stuff shaking Edel's beliefs about how the past wasn't 100% black & white and maybe Seiros wasn't wrong all along even if she was flawed and maybe took some very bad decisions along the way.

I know it's kind of the point but it's very annoying that all we know about this period is very cloudy. I mean there's some potential for additional tragedy here with Nemesis' true story for example.

Oct 25, 2017
The Church

Is weak. It has soft power and its knights are the best trained in the continent, but they aren'tan actual army. You literally have an NPC say as much in part 1. They don't have the numbers to fight any one of the nations' militaries. They're basically the Swiss Guard. The only route that is inconsistent about this is Crimson Flower because Crimson Flower bends the plot over backwards to make things work.
this is one of the main reasons I wanted another route, golden or not. I love this games characters (for the most part) but I fucking hate the plot, and inconsistencies like this across the routes are one of the biggest reasons. The character inconsistencies in personality across routes was frustrating enough, but the plot inconsistencies were worse, and the amount of withheld information per route makes them all feel frustratingly incomplete

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The Church

Except it's not bended backwards.

Even with the debatable assumption of a weak-ass church. They're supported by the kingdom. They have an actual dragon at their disposal. The alliance tries to stay out of this mess. And due to Byleth's influence in part 1, it can easily be inferred that Edel is much softer in this route, trying to minimize casualties as much as possible, leading to a stalemate war. I just don't see how it's inconsistent at a fundamental level.

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody seems to consistently play FE about twice as fast as I do—I'm very picky and methodical—so depending on the map count, this sounds reasonably meaty and may finally sell me on the pass. Won't get to it anytime soon, however, as I'm deep in the middle of my Golden Deer run and intend to close it out first.

Also pleased to hear that they're resisting any pressure to establish a "canonical" route. The less we encourage that kind of thinking in video games, the better (even if we all know the true protagonist is Edelgard).

On the other hand, I was a little let down by the value of the last FE DLC I acquired (The Future Past in Awakening) and have been pretty cautious about DLC on the whole in this series, much as I've loved the recent string of games. So we'll see. I hope the difficulty design here is finally back on track; it's not just a matter of the content being harder, but harder in the right ways (actual tactical problems, not just a boost in raw numbers and same-turn ambushes). Much as I love 3H, I've dreaded for a while that Conquest is the best we're ever going to get.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Yeah I'll be skipping this. The entire premise of the DLC was silly from the start. Hearing it's this short is an easy pass. Fire Emblem continues the tradition of its terrible value DLC.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
8-10 hours is decent I guess.

DLC as a whole has been kinda meh tbh. Not sure if it was worth the money even if this last addition is really good.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It seems like each route's fans are very unique

Golden Deer: You write fanfiction of the classmates in your freetime and stan Hufflepuff
Black Eagles: Crimson Flower: Three Houses was your first FE game and you are easily distracted by anime women
Azure Moon: Snarky long time FE fans who never shut up about Dmitri's character arc and then tell you to go play Geneology
Black Eagles: Silver Snow: No one is a fan of this route

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
I was really hoping we'd get some expanded content for crimson flower, but hopefully since the dlc is so short it'll be very focused and have a lot going for it.
I'm kinda glad there's no golden route, I like that your choices (well like two of them) seriously matter in three houses and the world changes a lot. If you have a golden route then pretty much any time you don't pick that route you're being a dick to the characters in game.

Think we're going to get any more content updates after this? I'm honestly surprised we didn't get any more classes or anything.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I did the Rhea route, even romanced her and I always found strange they didnt let you have teatime with her. If its fre is becuase it was probably planned for the main game but not finished.

It's also kind of unfortunate that romancing Rhea probably won't have any real effect on any of the endings, even the Church route.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping we'd get some expanded content for crimson flower, but hopefully since the dlc is so short it'll be very focused and have a lot going for it.
I'm kinda glad there's no golden route, I like that your choices (well like two of them) seriously matter in three houses and the world changes a lot. If you have a golden route then pretty much any time you don't pick that route you're being a dick to the characters in game.

Think we're going to get any more content updates after this? I'm honestly surprised we didn't get any more classes or anything.
A couple of DLC packs ago, they added a playable character for Crimson Flower only. They have supports and all unlike Anna.

Jeritza