• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I also like that the map has other nations shown on it that even have names. Reminds me a bit of FE7, that had a lot of countries that you did not necessarily ever travel to.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I have to assume that the player being a teacher means that the students are off-limits romance wise, which I feel is a good sign. Nothing against Waifu Emblem, but Fates definitely went way overboard with that crap.

I'm generally digging the character designs and the premise, though hopefully this is just a one-time deal and they don't try to repeat this shtick for whatever the next Fire Emblem game is... again, looking at you Fates

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm curious how the story will handle promotions and character progression if we ever break from the school/church as the reveal trailer kind of led onto. Are we to expect that we'll stay in the school setting till the very end or are we going to have a point where we take over the school at some point and make it a base.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I have to assume that the player being a teacher means that the students are off-limits romance wise, which I feel is a good sign. Nothing against Waifu Emblem, but Fates definitely went way overboard with that crap.

I'm generally digging the character designs and the premise, though hopefully this is just a one-time deal and they don't try to repeat this shtick for whatever the next Fire Emblem game is... again, looking at you Fates
I respect the optimism, but you really shouldn't assume that. I would assume children were off limits for marriage in Fates but that didn't happen. I doubt IS wouldn't let you romance the majority of the cast.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares about blood relation? The Nohrian nobles were raised alongside Corrin as family. That makes them siblings.
I thought the game tried to justify that by stating that the playable char was locked in his tower far away from anyone else and almost never saw the other siblings for most of his life?
Granted, the story beats and justifications in that game were so poorly made that i could be misremembering.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I respect the optimism, but you really shouldn't assume that. I would assume children were off limits for marriage in Fates but that didn't happen. I doubt IS wouldn't let you romance the majority of the cast.
I accept the possibility that it could still be a thing, I just don't subscribe to the same pessimism others are showing by seemingly assuming it'll be permitted.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I thought the game tried to justify that by stating that the playable char was locked in his tower far away from anyone else and almost never saw the other siblings for most of his life?
Granted, the story beats and justifications in that game were so poorly made that i could be misremembering.
Yeah but the Nohrians evidently visited them enough they treat each other as close siblings, I don't know if there's an exact number on how frequently but I assume a lot.
I accept the possibility that it could still be a thing, I just don't subscribe to the same pessimism others are showing by seemingly assuming it'll be permitted.
we're just going off precedent here, if IS is fine with players marrying kids, why would they be hesitant at all to let players marry the students? In fact, I think the former is worse than the latter, at the very least Byleth is probably the same age as the students.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Did the special edition go up for preorder yet on Best Buy or has it always been a placeholder? Hope it's not already sold out.

Oct 27, 2017
I used that one because you can clearly see the scale of the building, but if you go to the 4 minute mark in the new trailer you can see more gigantic empty buildings.

It only "scales" when you're zoomed in though and that's because fundamentally you're still battling and the zoomed in scale looks right. 4 just seems to be a massive temple is all

2BeJbKf.png

d51KT1d.png

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I have to assume that the player being a teacher means that the students are off-limits romance wise, which I feel is a good sign.

For what little it's worth, the trailer explicitly made a comment about how your students can spend time together and that's how they build bonds. So. Hopefully. Hopefully.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
This trailer sold me on the character design.

Hopefully they take this opportunity to remake Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I need HD Micaiah.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did the special edition go up for preorder yet on Best Buy or has it always been a placeholder? Hope it's not already sold out.
It was up for a while, but it's possible they temporarily closed off orders. Best Buy does this sometimes, so keep an eye out if it reappears. Since I still have my 20% club members discount, I made sure to preorder the second it went up.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The maps they've shown off have been pretty bland looking and call to mind the less attractive Radiant Dawn maps. The academy student outfits have made all of them feel pretty bland, but I feel like we'll be able to rectify that with class changes. Hopefully the characters each have their own way of wearing a class's design.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I love the character design and the new gameplay mechanics, it seems it will be more RPG than ever. But the graphics are meh IMO, the maps look boring and the attack animations are worse than in the 3DS games. I mean, you see how a bunch of horses crash into a dragon and it doesn't react until half of them have already went through it.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to give IS the benefit of the doubt since I dig the idea of Harry Potter x Fire Emblem, specially if my character's the teaching. Probably they'll unifiy all the academy students afterwards to act as the army agaisnt whatever evil there is this time.

But they already began on the wrong foot by giving the female avatar such a ridiculous outfit. Can't you give female characters some god damn decent armor for once, IS? Guess I'll have to play as the male avatar just to get a decent design.

At least, I'm happy we haven't seen any sign of kids so far.

c8f2eefc97ec24f2816063c6e035024d.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to give IS the benefit of the doubt since I dig the idea of Harry Potter x Fire Emblem, specially if my character's the teaching. Probably they'll unifiy all the academy students afterwards to act as the army agaisnt whatever evil there is this time.

But they already began on the wrong foot by giving the female avatar such a ridiculous outfit. Can't you give female characters some god damn decent armor for once, IS? Guess I'll have to play as the male avatar just to get a decent design.

At least, I'm happy we haven't seen any sign of kids so far.

There's no evidence that that will necessarily be the case We could very well get a SMT type alignment progression (Law/Neutral/Chaos) or where depending on who you initially align with one will be an ally and the other an enemy despite starting off all friendly

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why you're posting a screenshot from the old trailer

Yes, because a military academy makes no sense in an intelligible war story, right? Soldiers just spawn out of nowhere
Did you bother to read anything I wrote particularly:

"and thought maybe we were getting that with Three Houses in the context of the Fates post-mortem where finally people seemed to realize jettisoning the "boring" from FE wasn't a good idea after all and it was time to move on from the low represented by Awakening and Fates wrt narrative (Fates is at least an otherwise good game). Instead, it seems like we are getting another "Let us take from popular anime to make Fire Emblem more "it"" and honestly my gut reaction is this will undercut any world building and narrative Three Houses attempts--it will be refracted into the crucible and setting of school and the conflicts, persons, and relations therein. Sure, it seems it will grow beyond those walls but that seems an extremely stultifying setting for a supposedly diverse and politically fraught world. I don't really want the rivalries from states to come to a head in relationships defined by "our anime school days together" and honestly I think this is what we are getting. It makes me very worried about the story being farce wrapped around a kernel of school drama."

which expands on what I mean?

Or did you just do a reductive drive by?

Seems like the latter.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
User banned (1 week): bad faith trolling, inflammatory strawman in order to ridicule concerns over sexism
Jesus, people here won't be satisfied unless every female character is covered head to toe in a full suit of metal. Acting like IS never gives their women 'decent' armor is ridiculous.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a second - we actually see a critical attack in this, and it's just a regular looking sword jump >.< That's incredibly disappointing.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you bother to read anything I wrote particularly:

"and thought maybe we were getting that with Three Houses in the context of the Fates post-mortem where finally people seemed to realize jettisoning the "boring" from FE wasn't a good idea after all and it was time to move on from the low represented by Awakening and Fates wrt narrative (Fates is at least an otherwise good game). Instead, it seems like we are getting another "Let us take from popular anime to make Fire Emblem more "it"" and honestly my gut reaction is this will undercut any world building and narrative Three Houses attempts--it will be refracted into the crucible and setting of school and the conflicts, persons, and relations therein. Sure, it seems it will grow beyond those walls but that seems an extremely stultifying setting for a supposedly diverse and politically fraught world. I don't really want the rivalries from states to come to a head in relationships defined by "our anime school days together" and honestly I think this is what we are getting. It makes me very worried about the story being farce wrapped around a kernel of school drama."

which expands on what I mean?

Or did you just do a reductive drive by?

Seems like the latter.

Yeah, I didn't misread. You basically said you were afraid the school setting would be the focus and hold it back from being a deeper, more grandiose story, and I'm saying I flatly disagree with that. You can still have an academy setting that isn't necessarily defined by them being students and I think people are putting too much emphasis on that aspect. If anything it seems it'll come more into play to contextualize the gameplay more than it will with regards to the story. It seems to just be an alternative to the random bandits/mercenaries/etc that usually comprise your teams

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious how the story will handle promotions and character progression if we ever break from the school/church as the reveal trailer kind of led onto. Are we to expect that we'll stay in the school setting till the very end or are we going to have a point where we take over the school at some point and make it a base.
Because of the promotion exams, we're going to get either a) the school setting until the end or b) story moves on from the school but there's some contrivance where everyone still has to take an exam to promote even in enemy territory right before a battle with the final boss ancient dragon that you tried to stop from resurrecting but failed and now everyone that's still alive is going to give a one panel motivational speech but only as soon as Edelgard finishes her finals.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Awakening and Fates have featured most of the series' best armor designs.
I highly disagree at least for female armor. Even if it looked good, a lot of it is sexualized in a pretty unfortunate manner. I mean, do you really think the battle panty stuff even looks good? And if you do, you can understand why the dudes wearing pants while the girls just don't might cause complaint?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lookin good my most anticipated Switch game, there's definitely a graphical downgrade tho :(

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Before the advent of indoor plumbing, Fodlan mages would simply defecate where they stood and magically vanish the waste away.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Not actually confirmed but I doubt they'd let a teacher date their students.

Lol dude, one of the most famous JRPG in Japan, Persona 5, lets you do that. Why do you think they wouldn't cross that line with Fire Emblem?

'The villain was in our literal back yard all along' would be pretty novel.

It's more of a comment intended to allude how churches always seem to be evil in all JRPGs, hahaha.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Also kinda hilarious to see peeps in here saying that they wouldn't put romances in here because the main character is apparently set to be a teacher?

Dudes, sensei-type romances is a very popular trope in Japan, plus the MC doesn't seem to be in a different age bracket than his/her students. I am 100% confident they will put romances in there, lol.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I was hoping this is true. But at the same time I do think Int Systems just doesn't have the capability to do this correctly.
Oh I know. I fully expect to be incredibly disappointed with the story. I just think there's an incredible amount of potential here if they're willing to go all the way.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I found it interesting that NCL mentioned Koei Tecmo's experience in the strategy genre. It will be interesting to see if they bring any elements from Nobunaga's Ambition or RotTK to FE.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know. I fully expect to be incredibly disappointed with the story. I just think there's an incredible amount of potential here if they're willing to go all the way.
I fully expect the three nations to be manipulated into fighting one another.

But I also suspect that the villain might be a Manfroy type who sits mostly outside the direct political fray and is just using the war to advance his own plot to resurrect an evil dragon god.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear. I fully admit I'm a colossal anime fan so I'm biased as shit.

But I have no fucking clue how this is "to anime" for people.

You'd think they'd be breathing a sigh of relief after all the shit Fates had. And I say that as someone who both loves Fates and considers Camilla his favorite character from that game.