• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. You have to go to the abyss and improve the facilities with renown for that

As for the spoiled part, kinda yes, but thats not new information, that was revealed on Silver Snow iirc

Sitri was created by Rhea but she ended up not inheriting Sothis consiousness. That wasnt the first time Rhea had tried reviving Sothis using that method either (not refering to the chalice, as thats a completly different ritual). It just happens that by coincidence this time it led to Byleth

Oh ok, didn't play SS so that explains why I didn't know that. Do you actually learn Sitri's name in SS as well? Cause that was new to me as well.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 was pretty straightforward except for the boss once I cottoned on to a strategy:

Give Byleth an Armorslayer, have Ashe cast Retribution, send him up a few tiles and watch as he takes down all three Bolting mages and four armor knights on the first enemy turn. Absolutely delicious.

The final boss looks like a mess but at least the music is a banger.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, KT. If y'all let me change the normal exploration music to the Abyss exploration music, I won't even complain that the main game should get more polish patches anymore.

Deal? That'd improve monastery exploration at least 200%.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, KT. If y'all let me change the normal exploration music to the Abyss exploration music, I won't even complain that the main game should get more polish patches anymore.

Deal? That'd improve monastery exploration at least 200%.
Yeah. Fates had that, not the whole album, but a good selection to choose from. But it would work better in Three Houses where you'll spend more time running about

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Constance being depressed in the sun is a HUGE mood
I didn't expect to fall in love with Constance so much.
Like, I thought she looked boring compared to the other Wolves at the start.

But indoor Constance is endlessly entertaining and chipper, and Outdoor Constance is a marshmallow that needs to be protected (and also a mood, as you said.)

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the devs were even sure to differentiate Constance's mood between cloudy maps and sunny maps

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
I didn't expect to fall in love with Constance so much.
Like, I thought she looked boring compared to the other Wolves at the start.

But indoor Constance is endlessly entertaining and chipper, and Outdoor Constance is a marshmallow that needs to be protected (and also a mood, as you said.)

I second this 100%.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up at a little under 8 hours. I enjoyed it a pretty good deal - played on Hard/Classic and it was a good challenge without being overwhelming, though I see how the reinforcement-heavy early maps would leave a bad taste in folks' mouths.

Taking a bit of a break and then will probably finally do a Crimson Flower run.

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
Damn do I hate the Bernadetta/Yuri support.

"No you just totally misunderstood the situation, your abusive father actually cares about you and was protecting you!" What a horrible retcon.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that final boss was rough, part in because I made some dumb decisions early on and didn't use the turn back time mechanic. I was doing Normal/Casual too lmao.

I was down to 2 characters left and it came down to having to get a crit to win and I got it.

Overall I really liked this. Really good maps, I ended up loving all the Ashen Wolves, I think they might be my favorite group of the bunch. (though i never did Edelgard or Dimitri's route lol)

The "twist" was really easy to see coming but I appreciate the characters weren't idiots about it and they were suspicious of him too. Also really appreciated learning more about Byleth's mom. In some ways I appreciated this story more than the how some things played out in the main game.

Maybe I'll finally start a new playthrough.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

"No you just totally misunderstood the situation, your abusive father actually cares about you and was protecting you!" What a horrible retcon.

I dont understand why are people taking it like that

The man wanted to marry his daughter to some noble. He cant do that if she is dead.

Edit: Instead of Yuri being an innocent boy that was beaten randomly beaten by the father, he was an assasin and the father was protecting his property.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

It's not a retcon. It doesn't change the fact that her father was physically and psychologically abusive. The idea that her father would protect her in any capacity (even for his selfish reasons of raising her to be a perfect wife) is just something so beyond Bernadetta's understanding that Yuri even suggesting it is a mindfuck.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
of course count Varley protected Bernie from an assassin. He couldnt marry her off to the highest bidder if she was dead after all. This revelation in no way makes him any better than we thought he was.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 is BRUTAL, I've had to restart it a few times although realizing one thing helped a lot.

If you don't attack anyone with the Ashen Wolves, no one will move toward them. as tempting as it may be to use Bolting from Constance, don't. Retribution and Pure Water are musts for this map I'm noticing. I was so close to beating it by going around the east side, and then was going to take on the boss, then I put Constance in a bad spot and thought Linhardt had enough Physic left to heal her, and he didn't, and I was out of Divine Pulses.

In regards to whether Cindered Shadows is canon:
It ain't, apparantly.
Ok, another update on how much of Cindered Shadows is canon in the main story.

Aelfric appears at the monastery in Chapter 7 at Sitri's grave, with a quest to bring him some flowers from the greenhouse. He doesn't identify himself and the UI labels him as Monk, but it's still obvious. He says he had to leave the monastery but only came back briefly, and disappears once you turn in the quest. So in this continuity he never tries to resurrect Sitri and turns into a monster in the process. That's…something to know.

Gallophilic Cultural Posturing: A Case Study

Ok, another update on how much of Cindered Shadows is canon in the main story. Aelfric appears at the monastery in Chapter 7 at Sitri’s grave, with a quest to bring him some flowers from the...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 is BRUTAL, I've had to restart it a few times although realizing one thing helped a lot.

If you don't attack anyone with the Ashen Wolves, no one will move toward them. as tempting as it may be to use Bolting from Constance, don't. Retribution and Pure Water are musts for this map I'm noticing. I was so close to beating it by going around the east side, and then was going to take on the boss, then I put Constance in a bad spot and thought Linhardt had enough Physic left to heal her, and he didn't, and I was out of Divine Pulses.

Yuri and Balthus can handle the axe-wielders on their side who can be baited outside Meteor/Bolting range fairly easily, as well as heal themselves when they link up (or Balthus can use Healing Focus -- very good art). Constance and Hapi can also contribute immediately from turn 1 with their range + Canto, but your group needs to be actively moving toward them just in case.

Retribution'd Byleth with Vantage and an Armorslayer can basically solo the entire middle of the map in 2-3 turns with minimal risk (worst case scenario is if they get debuffed with an unlikely gambit).

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
It ain't, apparantly.

Ok, another update on how much of Cindered Shadows is canon in the main story. Aelfric appears at the monastery in Chapter 7 at Sitri’s grave, with a quest to bring him some flowers from the...
Yeah, Cindered Shadows exists in its own continuity that doesn't match up with what happens in the main game.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't, apparantly.

I asume he doenst resurrect Siri because you never get involved with the abyss and thus they never find the thing for the ritual. The other difference is tha you actually have C rank with all 3 lords, is byleth splitting tyeir time with all houses in this continuity?

Its as canon as any other route imo, none of them are compatible with each other.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready to Buy the OST for Three Houses. And Premium Arrange 2.

Hopfully the DLC tracks are in the Three Houses album.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yuri and Balthus can handle the axe-wielders on their side who can be baited outside Meteor/Bolting range fairly easily, as well as heal themselves when they link up (or Balthus can use Healing Focus -- very good art). Constance and Hapi can also contribute immediately from turn 1 with their range + Canto, but your group needs to be actively moving toward them just in case.

Retribution'd Byleth with Vantage and an Armorslayer can basically solo the entire middle of the map in 2-3 turns with minimal risk (worst case scenario is if they get debuffed with an unlikely gambit).
On this newest attempt I found a strategy that's working so far, but thanks for this.

Move Constance, Hapi, and Yuri out of range of all attacks, have them use concotions on themselves when their HP drops low. Move Balthus back as far as possible and have him spam Healing Focus. Split the rest of the squad, Edelgard, Byleth, Ashe on the left, Claude, Hilda, Linhardt, and Dimitri on the right, get to Hapi and Balthus respectively, and then fight my way to Constance and Yuri. My Yuri isn't that strong in combat, I have been using him a lot more for the utility of Foul Play, so he hasn't gotten a whole lot of XP, but it's fine. I have made it to Hapi and Balthus, so I think this strategy is going to work. I loaded up on Pure Water for both sides so I can have a low res unit tank the bolting/meteor.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Having played with the new characters a bit in the regular campaign now. Yuri looks amazing just looking at his stats until you realize that he has one of the worst skill spreads in the game. Red arrows in horse, flying, axe, and spear? He's basically locked into trickster, assassin, or sniper. And sniper is a complete waste of his speed. Hapi is basically Linhardt with better offensive spells and class options. She's mediocre if you just use her a regular mage, but that faith spell list makes her really good. Constance is statistically horrible outside of her mag, but makes up for it with a great spell list and the fact that mages on Maddening don't really need any other stat. Balthus is a Raphael with more balanced stats.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up the Cindered Shadows tonight, and thought it was pretty good overall!

I thought the final few chapters were actually easier than the first ones. Chapter six is pretty straightforward to deal with when you realize all of the Ashen Wolves can hide safely without being pursued. Without needing to rush to join them (or have them join you), 20 turns is more than enough to take your time clearing the map and regrouping with them. Likewise, I thought chapter seven and the final boss was pretty straightforward. I think it's the only chapter I didn't have to restart at some point (along with maybe the very first chapter). By contrast, chapter two was kinda annoying the first time around since you didn't know how many reinforcements were going to show up and where exactly they would be, and I barely cleared chapter four on my second attempt with how many enemies they throw at you at the final gate (although it also made for a pretty exciting map; a harrowing escape indeed hahah).

The abyss is a cool setting, and I really love the Ashen Wolves characters. It's a shame that I was already in the middle of my third and fourth playthroughs when the details for Cindered Shadows were announced, since I really wanna see how the characters fit into the main game and how they interact with characters from the other Houses. Probably won't get to it right away, but I guess I might be doing a fifth playthrough sooner than expected!

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Having played with the new characters a bit in the regular campaign now. Yuri looks amazing just looking at his stats until you realize that he has one of the worst skill spreads in the game. Red arrows in horse, flying, axe, and spear? He's basically locked into trickster, assassin, or sniper. And sniper is a complete waste of his speed. Hapi is basically Linhardt with better offensive spells and class options. She's mediocre if you just use her a regular mage, but that faith spell list makes her really good. Constance is statistically horrible outside of her mag, but makes up for it with a great spell list and the fact that mages on Maddening don't really need any other stat. Balthus is a Raphael with more balanced stats.
constance is basically a black magic focused lysithea

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I realize this has been said a million times, but I finally started this and even after hearing complaints about the small text size I am still completely amazed at how small it is.

I am seriously shocked that this seemed okay and that it hasn't been fixed yet. I have 20/20 vision (with my contacts in) and I can barely read the text. I just can't fathom how something like this ever happened let alone has lasted for this long.

Other than that, I'm really not sold on the whole "Persona" social link stuff in the monastery. I'm still early but I'm not really impressed with the whole package so far.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played it. Beat it. Loved it.

+The Ashen Wolves were a charming, loveable bunch. Their supports are fantastic and do a lot to flesh the setting out/fill in some holes in the narrative
+The intro to the game is very strong, both in terms of gameplay and story
+The gameplay is significantly better than the base game, with the map design, enemy placement, limited resources and restrictions on the player forcing you to actually engage with the map instead of cheesing it (chapter 4 was the highlight)
+The 3 lords get to team up (!!!)
-Story heads in all too familiar, generic direction. Arc villain was fairly unimpressive
-I would have liked to see the lords be a bit more relevant. I realize it was primarily about the Ashen Wolves, but having them be a bit more self-reflective/foreshadow their future arcs would have been neat
-It should go without saying, that centering the emotional thrust of the arc around a silent protagonist was a very bad idea

Oct 25, 2017
They did a really good job integrating the new characters into the existing story with lots of unique battle dialogues spread across the main paths and even paralogues. That's something that I feel a lot of developers would have overlooked.

Last edited:

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the DLC by the end. The characters were great and the story actually grew on me to my surprise. Also glad to hear that the characters are properly integrated into the main story cause I'm eager to dive back in to my GD run.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Really enjoyed the DLC by the end. The characters were great and the story actually grew on me to my surprise. Also glad to hear that the characters are properly integrated into the main story cause I'm eager to dive back in to my GD run.
"Properly integrated" may be an overstatement, but yea they're cool and recruitable (to my knowledge they're instant recruits as long as you ask them). Some of their supports are even pretty cool. No complaints there. Also some of the abyss facilities are pretty nice (some are crap though).

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Properly integrated" may be an overstatement, but yea they're cool and recruitable (to my knowledge they're instant recruits as long as you ask them). Some of their supports are even pretty cool. No complaints there. Also some of the abyss facilities are pretty nice (some are crap though).

Yeah I've experienced a bit for myself now and the new characters having no idea who I was did throw me off a little bit. Aelfric's appearance at the grave in the main game confused me as well, even if we're assuming the side story took place in an alternate timeline. Cause if
Aelfric never found your mum's body underground then why would he have gathered the four with the apostle's crests in the first place

Last edited:

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Beat the final chapter just now.

While the DLC overall was fairly difficult, the last chapter seemed pretty easy by contrast. Maybe I'm just comparing it to the final Crimson Flower chapter, but battlinga 3x3 monster boss without having to fight through a whole map of fiery terrain first is like a relaxing vacation.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Just finished it. No need to play it on hard/classic again since I completed on hard/casual without losing anyone anyway. The last battle was fun and not too difficult compared to some of the others. Overall, I liked this dlc, although I'd imagine if someone were just interested in getting more story and didn't want to put up with hard difficulty, it might be disappointing. Recycling maps was kind of weak, too, and animated cutscenes would have been nice. Still, for me, though, the challenge was right up my alley and made it worth it.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I've experienced a bit for myself now and the new characters having no idea who I was did throw me off a little bit. Aelfric's appearance at the grave in the main game confused me as well, even if we're assuming the side story took place in an alternate timeline. Cause if
Aelfric never found your mum's body underground then why would he have gathered the four with the apostle's crests in the first place
Yeah the whole continuity of it all is a bit weird. Don't fret too much about it I guess 🤷‍♀️

But man the Wayseer is a godsend 🙏

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Even in Cindered Shadows he opened Ashen Wolves 5 years prior to finding Sitri's body. Those four would likely wind up down there regardless just due to the circumstances of their lives.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the whole continuity of it all is a bit weird. Don't fret too much about it I guess 🤷‍♀️

But man the Wayseer is a godsend 🙏

Is the Wayseer one of the unlocks available at ep 13?

Even in Cindered Shadows he opened Ashen Wolves 5 years prior to finding Sitri's body. Those four would likely wind up down there regardless just due to the circumstances of their lives.

Yeah that makes I guess.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Is the Wayseer one of the unlocks available at ep 13?
Yes that's one of the two "late" unlocks. It's worth noting it can't help with missed opportunities though (which is understandable but still a bummer). But it's already super useful as it is.

As for the library, there are some thought provoking stuff in there.

Like how Saint Seiros apparently ...
Hunted Nemesis associates, and how they didn't seem to understand why they were hunted, even though they suspected Nemesis fucked up at some point.

Kinda weird. Doesn't really line up with what we know of that period.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like how Saint Seiros apparently ...
Hunted Nemesis associates, and how they didn't seem to understand why they were hunted, even though they suspected Nemesis fucked up at some point.

I've only played CF so far and Nemesis is still a bit of a mystery to me. Playing the Golden Deer route now though so hopefully I'll learn more about him?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Actually:

It doesn't contradict what we know. We didn't ever hear what happened to the 10 Elites after Nemesis' defeat. This clarifies that their families and clans were spared (which we could have guessed) but that they themselves were not. What's really new is the fact that the Elites weren't aware of where their power came from. Which means either Nemesis alone committed the Nabatean genocide, or Nemesis + the Argarthans did.

I've only played CF so far and Nemesis is still a bit of a mystery to me. Playing the Golden Deer route now though so hopefully I'll learn more about him?

You'll learn about a lot of history of which Edelgard was unaware.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Going down to Abyss each month and getting a bit of new dialogue is really helping the monastery feel fresh again after so many playthroughs.