• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy Brain:

Nintendo localizes old FE games, limited time only

But then sells a collection that's available forever :-o

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
I have mixed feelings regarding the short time availability, but it's great to finally have this officially in English and on the switch (and for $6.00 only)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
No it was not the same and it wasn't digital
ffs people stop defending this

It isn't defending anything. The fact is, Nintendo has always done this, and it isn't something that they just started this generation. People are just taking noticed now because of digital.

RenzokuTom

Aug 31, 2020
Is it FE1 or FE3?
Appart from looking better than Shadow Dragon on DS, what are the difference story wise?

The DS version added a short prologue that works as a tutorial, like the Lyn story in FE7.

There are the gaiden maps too but those only appear if you are below a certain total unit count, as a way to give you new characters if you had too many deaths.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
A $6 Famicom Fire Emblem port is not exactly lucrative, so no, I really don't.

The Mario one could be argued for sure, but it seems that at this point this just happens to be their philosophy on anniversary releases, which to be fair is in line with most other forms of merchandise products, and it's not exactly causing anybody harm.

There's nothing stopping people from wishing they were around permanently, and I get wanting something to be there forever, but the outrage seems a bit forced. There's people saying they are thinking of never supporting Nintendo again. Nobody should be that upset because of a $6 video game being released.

And those suggesting Nintendo will go forward with this and put limited releases on main games like Prime 4 are clearly concern trolling, so I don't find it hard to believe others are as well.

It's not what the product is ($6 eShop game aside), but the matter that this is a new trend that they have started, that came out of nowhere. The fact that the expiration dates for all of these things also align with the end of their FY, means that it's a huge push to line themselves financially, when they are in a very good position, currently.

The idea of all the future games going digital isn't so much trolling as it is just hyperbole and worry, with "well then, what else is next?" Since this seems to be a trend, I don't blame others with having that worry, although it IS a stretch with some claims. This just isn't something that is favorable with consumers, and Nintendo has done many things over the years that have not been very consumer-friendly.

The bottom line is we like these products and want to purchase them, but putting specific limitations on them, where there doesn't need to be, does not sit well.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
This is bizarre - I'm glad they're localizing it, but why in the world make it a limited time thing? Hopefully it ends up on NSO afterwards.

I'll probably grab it because $6 is not that much, but honestly, I've played a little bit of this game on an emulator and compared to the modern series it is ROUGH. No damage/hit rate charts when engaging an enemy (you have to do the math in your head, I think), no ability to speed up enemy turns, obviously no casual mode or supports like the later games. Hopefully there will be some QOL stuff included with the translation to make some of the more egregious stuff easier for modern players.

I wish this had gotten a good remake, instead of Shadow Dragon being kind of a mess.

Also I wonder if this will lead to some of the other old Fire Emblem games getting released in a similar fashion. Translated FE3 seems like an obvious next step, but then maybe we could see Genealogy, Thracia, and Binding Blade eventually? Though I know a lot of people were betting on an Echoes style remake of Genealogy.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this limited release approach Nintendo has been taking. And some people are saying $6 is too much for this. Let me just say this:

- This is a FE for which we never got an English translation/release. I believe there was even a thread a week or two back where someone was lamenting that we probably will never see FE1 get an official English release.
- If this was released back in 1990/91 in English, it probably would have been a $40-50 cart then and would be fetching hundreds of dollars on the secondary market today. That we are able to buy it for modern hardware, with QoL improvements, for $6, is a bargain IMO.
- I'm okay with the limited release. For those who want to shell out a premium for the anniversary collection, they can pay more. Otherwise, I'll skip that cup(s) of coffee to digitally pre-order this and not worry about when it will leave the eShop.

Again, I respect different points of view, this is just how I see it for myself.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't know what you're talking about. Yes, a simple ROM dump would cost virtually nothing, but this isn't that -- not by any stretch.

FE1's enhancements, localization, and font proportioning all mean that this is a specially enhanced version of the game, which took time and money to create.

You aren't paying $6 for an NES game. You're paying for the work that went into newly localizing and modernizing that NES game.

You know, the stuff that takes fan translators years of work to do? Companies don't do that for free. $6, however, is quite the damn bargain.

Sure that took development time and cost but you know what else did? Tetris 99 and Mario 35 and both of those games are free with NSO. And more work was probably put into those titles than the localization work needed for an NES game. So again I think this should have been part of the NSO NES app. They're just doing this to exploit the novelty factor here.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend just got into Fire Emblem with Three Houses. I think she'll be in to playing this

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Video games aren't necessary.

So please let companies continue with lootboxes, microtransactions, DRM, overpriced DLC, on disk DLC, region locking, releasing unfinished products, etc, etc.

Don't complain about anything involving video games whatsoever, doesn't matter how bullshity, manipulative, anti-consumer, or exploitative, it's a non-essential so you lose any right to have any sort of problem with it.
The difficulty with this limited release, limited editions, is that it's hard to see a "victim". All those other practices you listed definitely have victims. Mainly people who were deceived by the company involved.

But Limited Releases/Editions? Are we saying we should feel sorry for people who didn't get a chance to spend their money on what could be considered a luxury item?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The DS version added a short prologue that works as a tutorial, like the Lyn story in FE7.

There are the gaiden maps too but those only appear if you are below a certain total unit count, as a way to give you new characters if you had too many deaths.
Good to know thanks!
I don't really know if I wanna buy this.
If it wasn't a limited release I probably wouldn't bother at all to be honest

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Great, now Nintendo wants to dictate when we buy our games. If that doesn't fit in your budget during that period, fuck you. If you have other games to play before that and didn't want buy it now just to leave it in the backlog, fuck you. If you simply has other priorities but wanted to buy the game eventually, fuck you too, better buy it now.

And people said this is anti-consumer. My ass it isn't, imagine if this becomes a business model in the industry

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
"Hey, that's pretty cool, but I can't even imagine playing a SRPG from 1990, that's going to be a slog."

*QoL features start showing up in trailer*

"... Well alright then."

Very cool news.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
- This is a FE for which we never got an English translation/release. I believe there was even a thread a week or two back where someone was lamenting that we probably will never see FE1 get an official English release.

I'm a little confused with the timeline with the remakes. It looks like this one was re-made as Shadow Dragon on DS (which was localized), but was only the first part of this?

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Video games aren't necessary.

So please let companies continue with lootboxes, microtransactions, DRM, overpriced DLC, on disk DLC, region locking, releasing unfinished products, etc, etc.

Don't complain about anything involving video games whatsoever, doesn't matter how bullshity, manipulative, anti-consumer, or exploitative, it's a non-essential so you lose any right to have any sort of problem with it.
I don´t know, man. but a limited release isn´t predatory for me. IMO, a half assed game for $60 and a promise that the game will last for years and then abandoned is shitty, a game released for $60 and then getting an update for a thousand things is shitty. You may not like this, but this doesn´t even com close to some things we see like a full priced games with adds.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm literally seeing people in Twitter saying "this is abusive, but I'm still buying it". First of all, it's not like the company makes you. Second, you're dumb as hell.

Of course, it's likely the case with 3/4 of people who complain about anything like this on the internet.

Could set a precedent for future releases from Nintendo. If Super Mario 3D All-Stars and this sell a shit load despite being limited releases, who's to say they won't do the same for Odyssey 2 or the next mainline Fire Emblem?

Imagine if we finally get that first footage of Metroid Prime 4, it looks all glorious, and at the end of the trailer when they show the release date, they show the words "For a limited time only".

If anything it'd set yet another precedent for anniversaries, as they've been doing this with anniversary collections for a decade, and otherwise they would be doing it with Age of Calamity too.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Hostility and thread derailing over multiple posts. Long history and numerous prior bans for the same behavior.
The difficulty with this limited release, limited editions, is that it's hard to see a "victim". All those other practices you listed definitely have victims. Mainly people who were deceived by the company involved.

But Limited Releases/Editions? Are we saying we should feel sorry for people who didn't get a chance to spend their money on what could be considered a luxury item?
Fine, you know what? You fucking win, I look forward to when mainline games start getting limited releases because clearly it works and people will defend it.

I hope Nintendo makes the time frame even shorter, give people week and fuck anybody who can't get it at the time, it's your fault if you miss out not Nintendo's for limiting a product that has no reason to be limited.

It just really fucking sucks in a world where we can permanently lose titles on digital stores because of licensing issues, that people are completely fine with Nintendo doing it to shit they actually own.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the door of the Nintendo Vault is made of Nintendium, the fabled indestructible material from which Iwata carved the GameCube atop Mount Nintenlympus

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think $6 is totally reasonable for this, i think that making it a limited release deserves to be clowned on until the end of time. i'm glad people outside of nintendo will archive it and eventually remove the DRM.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sure that took development time and cost but you know what else did? Tetris 99 and Mario 35 and both of those games are free with NSO. And more work was probably put into those titles than the localization work needed for an NES game. So again I think this should have been part of the NSO NES app. They're just doing this to exploit the novelty factor here.
Tetris 99 and Mario 35 are online specific games that you need NSO to take full advantage of. FE1 is a stand-alone download that doesn't require online. Even the NSO library requires a weekly online check-in.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Of course, it's likely the case with 3/4 of people who complain about anything like this on the internet.

If anything it'd set yet another precedent for anniversaries, as they've been doing this with anniversary collections for a decade, and otherwise they would be doing it with Age of Calamity too.
Yeah, I said it before in the thread of Mario. Basically every anniversary product is limited. It wouldn´t make sense to have a 35th anniversary product available on the 38th year. Whether we like it or not.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We can't assume anything, but there's reason to believe they will. They've put everything they can on VC, and there's precident of a limited time game ending up NSO with star fox 2. I agree that the limited time thing is shitty but I doubt this is the last we've heard of this game.
Go buy Four Swords for your 3DS and get back to me.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Unless there are future plans for this, I guess Nintendo has done the analysis (or is testing the waters) that shows releasing a game for 3-4 months and forcing demand is more profitable than the life-time sales would be otherwise.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very weird release decision. Can't help but feel like it should be an NSO perk rather than this weird limited time release

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who enjoyed Fire Emblem: Awakening and Three Houses (but hasn't played any other Fire Emblem games), is this game good?

The story is very basic (narration and a political overview of the situation was first added in the SNES version, so this one only has brief dialogue before each battle in addition to a few extra conversations when recruiting units during battles) but basic systems are there already and the maps generally do have some unique challenges, avoiding featureless open fields (unlike Echoes/Gaiden or even some later Awakening maps), however there are various oddities compared to later games, with many systems just feeling incomplete in this first entry.

No movement or damage previews; only a few classes like cavalier, mage and mercenaries can promote; you don't gain experience by healing, so healers can get a lot of experience by getting attacked before promoting, the item storage/convoy is a physical location you need to reach in the maps rather than just being a menu between or during the missions or assigned to a unit like how the SNES version just made Marth act as a convoy too. Animations and cpu turns were slow, but it seems this version fixes that with optional speed boost settings shown in the trailer.

I'm a little confused with the timeline with the remakes. It looks like this one was re-made as Shadow Dragon on DS (which was localized), but was only the first part of this?

FE3, the first FE game for SNES, included a FE1 remake in its new engine (adding narration story segments, but missing a couple of characters and chapters) and a completely new story/campaign. Then when they made the DS remake, it only remade the original FE1 (although including the extra story/narration segments added by the FE3 version), but it didn't include the actual new story/campaign from FE3. The remake heavily modernized the gameplay, including some questionable stuff like free classing, but actually didn't touch the story much compared to FE3's previous remake of FE1, outside of a new prologue and some extra post-recruitment dialogue every unit got.

Then afterwards they made yet another DS remake just for the second half of FE3, the actual new story, but heavily reusing systems from the first DS remake, which actually meant FE3's unique gameplay features were lost.

Last edited:

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Isn't it Fire Emblem's anniversary, just like Mario? I don't think Nintendo will make a habit of this personally. Pikmin 3 isn't a limited release - It's not Pikmin's anniversary. Aren't these titles given limited runs because of these anniversaries?

Edit: right, 30th anniversary.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I said it before in the thread of Mario. Basically every anniversary product is limited. It wouldn´t make sense to have a 35th anniversary product available on the 38th year. Whether we like it or not.
Oh shit someone should tell Nintendo that Ocarina of Time 3D is still up on the 3DS eshop!

I bought that last month but it's not the 25th anniversary anymore!

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Isn't it Fire Emblem's anniversary, just like Mario? I don't think Nintendo will make a habit of this personally. Pikmin 3 isn't a limited release - It's not Pikmin's anniversary. Aren't these titles given limited runs because of these anniversaries?

Edit: right, 30th anniversary.
Why limit the availability of a digital game?

The games are on NSO in Japan.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
$6 is absolutely a fair price, a bargain even. It's localized (including redrawn graphics for the title logo), you can save and load anywhere, speed up turns, even rewind turns. Good stuff.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck look at this!

Can you believe that Microsoft has the balls to dare keep this thing on their store even though it's not the anniversary anymore?

What kind of bullshit is that!

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Why limit the availability of a digital game?

The games are on NSO in Japan.

I agree that it's strange. But other posters seem to argue that Nintendo will be doing this more and more in the future. But not every year will be Mario's 35th anniversary, or Fire Emblem's 30th... granted there's some important anniversary's coming up so gear up folks :D

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Duck off with the limited time bullshit.

Didnt support with the halfassed Mario collection and wont with this one.

This by far the worst new shitty business practice.