• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RPG Site: Were there any particular challenges that stood out in the switch back? Did the console switch force you to change anything in particular?

Yokota:
Well, for example, we worried about the size of the screen. When you're in a battle against someone, up until now it was just one-on-one battles. That worked on a smaller screen, but we thought maybe for the new game generation it was too simple. So we discussed with Mr. Kusakihara, and we suggested what he wanted - what he's wanted for a long time - is a new aspect, which we call battalions. It should be better looking first, but it could also make the game more fun.
RPG Site: And ultimately, it looks more like a real battle.

Kusakihara:
Time after time, the gaming consoles are getting more powerful than before. It became really difficult for us to really demonstrate that this is actually a war when you only had one-on-one battles. It's just not realistic. So it was, of course, a big subject. Also, Koei Tecmo is very good at this sort of big, huge battle simulation. So we had a great amount of help from them in achieving that.
RPG Site: So, let's talk about the school side of the game... what was the thinking there? Was it inspired by any other school-based stories? The comparisons that seem most common among fans is to think of Persona or Harry Potter as a point of reference...

Kusakihara:
In truth it's not from Harry Potter, or Persona, or anything like that - it actually links back to an older Fire Emblem. Back a long time ago, we developed a game for the Super Famicom called Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. When you look at the story, the three characters were from a monastery - they were friends, they worked together - and then they have to go to battle against each other. That's almost the same plot as that older game, if you look at that. So we had the image of this old game in mind before - that's maybe our most significant influence on this project.

RPG Site: One last thing... are you aware of the sort of immense fan fever, the demand, for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE to come to Switch?
Yokota:
Ahhh. [laughs] Well, thank you for the comment - I will go to Atlus, and perhaps we can talk about that!
Theres more at the link, nut good news; they are now aware of rhe demand for TMS

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
TMS would be a great surprise.

Plus I'll be able to finish it if it's on switch. Didn't like the way it was set up on Wii U.

Jul 3, 2019
In hindsight it shouldn't have been surprising that Koei-Tecmo were doing the bulk of grunt work on Three Houses, Fire Emblem Warriors probably was the "pilot"

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
All they need to do to get Tokyo Mirage Sessions working is map the cell phone to a button and they're basically good. I loved it on Wii U and would definitely check it out again. It's cool to see them trying to draw on some of the aspects of FE4 for Three Houses. Can't wait for the game!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time we heard that Koei Tecmo assisted with this game? Not that it's surprising, since Nintendo has been utilizing their development resources for some time now, but I feel like it's new information.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the crests already seem to pretty much just be holy blood
It's been pretty obvious for a while that Three Houses is heavily inspired by Geneology.

Kaga would probably be salty.

Eh, they have a ton of genealogy references in the past (Awakening with the kids and dreadlords, Sumia's support, Fire Emblem Heroes, Fire Emblem Cipher and the anniversary concerts at all). I mean why would he be specifically about this when he would also be salty about the sd and moe remakes as well?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, they have a ton of genealogy references in the past (Awakening with the kids and dreadlords, Sumia's support, Fire Emblem Heroes, Fire Emblem Cipher and the anniversary concerts at all). I mean why would he be specifically about this when he would also be salty about the sd and moe remakes as well?
I'm kind of joking, I don't think he really cares. He's doing other things now.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Yea, here's hoping they bring back TMS. It's a pretty fun concept that unfortunately died on the wii u ship.

It's been pretty obvious for a while that Three Houses is heavily inspired by Geneology.

Kaga would probably be salty.
I didn't know that former friends fighting against each other was a concept only held by genealogy.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of joking, I don't think he really cares. He's doing other things now.
I think Fire Emblem is always going to weigh on the back of his mind simply because of everything that transpired between him, IS, and Nintendo regarding his departure and TRS. I imagine that the wounds have long healed, but the scars are still there.

But yeah, he probably doesn't care all that much that Three Houses is so heavily inspired by Genealogy.

OP
OP
foxuzamaki

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, here's hoping they bring back TMS. It's a pretty fun concept that unfortunately died on the wii u ship.

I didn't know that former friends fighting against each other was a concept only held by genealogy.
I mean, whether it is or not, they confirmed that was the main source of inspirarion lol

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Woah! That's super cool. I hope a Genealogy remake is next in line then. I'd love to see a redesigned Sigurd and friends.

Preferably with another designer other than 3H's and Echoes' just for it to have it's own flavour.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The RPGSite interviewer is a real one for mentioning TMS#FE. Had the opportunity and actually used it. Thumbs up.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo good with huge battle simulation, I'm shocked /s
Maybe they can work on Fire Emblem Warriors 2 next haha.

Just played and finished TMS#FE earlier this year so I'm not hungry for a port yet.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Speaking of Geneaology of the Holy War, a remake of that in the next year would be incredible, the story alone should be experienced by a new generation.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I woulnt be surprised if they pull a pokrmon let's go and decide to do marth's story again since he is technically the 3rd game despite them combing it with the 1st game
They won't.

They did both his games on DS already and Awakening made heavy references to it. Roy's game is onto feel they'll tackle if they don't want to do Genealogy.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I woulnt be surprised if they pull a pokrmon let's go and decide to do marth's story again since he is technically the 3rd game despite them combing it with the 1st game
it's less likely that they'd go back to Marth and more likely that they'd skip around. Skipping straight to 6 (Roy's game) is a real possibility, and I could also see Tellius remasters happening first since there'd be a bit less work involved

OP
OP
foxuzamaki

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FE4 does seem too similar to three houses so yea they Probably will skip around, especially when some fans are gonna scream the end of the world when the child mechanic comes back

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
FE4 does seem too similar to three houses so yea they Probably will skip around, especially when some fans are gonna scream the end of the world when the child mechanic comes back

Technically yes.

But they can always switch things up.

I will say though I do think they're deliberately holding back on Jugdral alts for a reason in Fire Emblem heroes, when those banners all tend to have overperformed historically in Japan.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
With the sheer amount of Genealogy references in the themes and design of Three Houses, I'd honestly be very surprised if they plan to remake any game other than Genealogy next.