• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
FE franchise is 16 games in at this point, including a few remakes with likely more to come. Outside of FE Fates and the Kingdom of Hoshido we've gotten almost nothing but pretty generic Medieval-esq European countries as the sole or predominant focus of every other game. Occasionally a secondary or fringe state or group will have some semblance of a non-European culture, ethnicity or racial makeup like Plegia, Ferox, Sacae, Gallia, Brigid, Duscur or Almyra but these countries/regions are either so far on the fringes of the story, are represented by so exceedingly few characters within the campaign or are so underdeveloped and vague in their execution that it's barely even worth mentioning them. Not mention many are rife with colorism and other problematic elements in their depictions. Overall the worldbuilding and level of depth to the settings and locations in FE are rather quite basic across the board and so those outside elements suffer all the more. Tellius games remain the high point in the series with the most fleshed out nations, cultures and world overall and even that is still quite limited and basic in many regards and not without issues in some of its elements and depictions.

There's really no excuse or reason that FE shouldn't invest far more heavily in depicting much more diverse and richer settings and characters. Greater depth and development overall and exploring other cultures and regions outside Europe would provide a wealth of visual inspiration for the world, characters and locations. Provide tons of inspiration for story elements and conflicts. And introduce lots of new and different options and interpretations of character classes. Something FE Fates really excelled at, well except the story stuff.

This is something that should be done both in the future with new, original titles and even with remakes of past titles. An FE4 remake is being heavily speculated about and I would like nothing more than for Jugdral to go from several non-descript Medieval European nations spanning a whole continent to unique regions with some real cultural and ethnic diversity between them. There is almost nothing to lose by ditching the old undeveloped and rather generic Medieval European makeup of the series and much to gain by infusing the nations and regions with real and tangible elements from around the world. Scattering a bunch of Irish, Norse, Germanic and other names around your map and for your character names isn't world building. And it doesn't make up for the fact that virtually all your characters look the same, dress the same, employ the same classes, and use the same weapons.

Now more than ever Nintendo could do with some real diversity among its games and FE is one series where it could be done so easily and to such great effect thanks to its giant casts and grand stories that span nations and often whole or multiple continents. The series usually ranges from ~65 to ~130 names and portraited characters per game. There's been some 596+ playable characters across the series yet probably not even 1/10 represent anything but rather generic Europeans. To say that's poor would be a vast understatement. These are long ass games that can easily take 30 hours to beat and double that or more to fully complete. Characters, settings and story are a bigger and bigger draw for the franchise. I personally want some real depth and quality to these characters and settings if I'm going to invest so much time in them.

And by all means still include European influences, but actually take inspiration from specific nations, cultures and periods and really build that into their identity and depiction rather than simply using extremely loose naming references to only then present a kingdom and world that is almost wholly generic and unidentifiable. Europe alone is far richer and more diverse than what FE has used thus far. I was initially excited by the 19th century trappings that TH had with its military academy and uniforms, but ultimately that's all they really were and it didn't amount to anything more than a bit of visual flair. That said diversity needs to be tackled in various forms. Race and ethnicity does not need to be tied to their real world culture and nations in order to be present. You can and should have diverse and mixed character within your world regardless, but it is still important to depict and utilize those other regions and cultures as well because a Eurocentric mindset creates a false image of the world and history. There were vast and rich cultures, nations and empires all over the world and all throughout history and it is an immense disservice to not give them their due.

I less interested in actually discussing or debating the supposed validity or probability of this occurring and more interested in hearing what settings, periods, cultures, etc. that others would like to see utilized within the series. The possibilities are virtually endless. Personally I'd love to see more Persian, Arab and North African influences as they at least had very immediate real world connections and interactions with Europe throughout most of history and should be an absolute no brainer to pull into the series. But further afield like China, Mongolia, India, Africa and more would all be great to see used too. If Fates can have Gothic Europe vs Feudal Japan anything goes really.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not to mention that most of the PoC characters in Three Houses (Claude, Dedue, & Cyril) are voiced by white actors. They should definitely further diversify the characters in future FE games (Claude as one of the lords is a step in the right direction), but they also need to further diversity the English voice cast while they're at it. For example, a black main character voiced by a black actor with more African influences in the world & story would be amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I'd definitely love to see this. I think the fact that they were applying Japanese historical influences to one of the sides in Fates was one of the most interesting things about that game when it was revealed. 3H has mostly gone back to European influences, but I hope they branch out further in the future. There's a lot of fresh veins to be tapped.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem always rolls into deserts for about two chapters and it's just another batch of white gents except in robes instead or something.

You know I never really stopped to think about it until this thread, with all the continent hopping in the series they never stray far from that standard medieval Europe core when there's so much more that could be done.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
Then they need to focus on making it a fun game after these changes.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
A problem I see in world building in these sorta games is that they only have like 3-4 nations if we had an SRPG with countries based on like China or Carthage (need an elephant cav unit in fire emblem rn) we could get out of the Western Europe-Samurai diarchy in these games. Imagine a fantasy conflict inspired by the byzantine-arab wars but with dragons and giants or a matsuno style SRPG inspired by Native American mythologies!!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Fire Emblem always rolls into deserts for about two chapters and it's just another batch of white gents except in robes instead or something.

You know I never really stopped to think about it until this thread, with all the continent hopping in the series they never stray far from that standard medieval Europe core when there's so much more that could be done.
I know, right? There's so much potential if they just venture out into other cultures.

Oct 27, 2017
Something about calling out a Japanese devs for not having enough Japanese influence in their series is a bit funny
But even if it's set in a "European" setting it shouldn't matter. It's purely fictional. They can populate it with whatever "races" they want

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
They supposedly considered having Awakening go with a modern day setting before deciding against it, with some of that planning ultimately repurposed for #FE.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
More diversity never hurts. And for the love of god, don't do a desert region full of porcelain white people. I watched a bit of Magi the other day, and just couldn't take it. The audacity.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Supposedly considered having Awakening go with a modern day setting before deciding against it, with some of that planning ultimately repurposed for #FE.

I would love to see a modern day SRPG with modern fire arms ala Jagged Alliance tbh but I'm not sure Fire Emblem would be the right way to do it maybe a zoomed in infantry focused Advance Wars!

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Part of the problem is where they are developed. Japan isn't a very diverse country, so things like racial representation aren't as important in their culture. The problem is that the biggest markets for their content ARE very diverse, so I agree that it's something they should be bringing into consideration.

Hopefully it's something Nintendo is moving towards. It was noted that Splatoon 3's character creator didn't use gender terms and included more gender-neutral options. Pokemon Sword/Shield dropped these as well, so hopefully these make larger steps in the future (though I assume the next FE title will be a remake).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this has always been a weakness of Fire Emblem. Three Houses' handling of Dedue and Duscur was also super frustrating, and all the culturally distinct lands surrounding Fodlan were basically non-entities.

There's really nothing stopping FE from drawing on other cultures, and it'd be super cool to see. Hopefully done better than Fates' black and white conflict and dearth of world-building.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
Cultural diversity is always very welcome. Exploring different cultures strongly enriches the game. Nevertheless, please let's avoid "diversity-washing" (from green-washing) actions like simply adding ethnic groups without giving them a decent cultural background.

Something about calling out a Japanese devs for not having enough Japanese influence in their series is a bit funny
But even if it's set in a "European" setting it shouldn't matter. It's purely fictional. They can populate it with whatever "races" they want
Yeah, that shit weird. It's like that because of the whole rpg stuff comes from dungeons and dragons. Why even bring the anglo influenced stuff up

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather they skip over modern day settings and go completely futuristic if they think about that, otherwise they may as well make a new Advance Wars.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Having a medieval European influence doesn't mean they can't put brown people and generally good cultural representation in the game so I 100% agree OP. This is a Nintendo and Japanese game problem in general though.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Yeah, this has always been a weakness of Fire Emblem. Three Houses' handling of Dedue and Duscur was also super frustrating, and all the culturally distinct lands surrounding Fodlan were basically non-entities.

There's really nothing stopping FE from drawing on other cultures, and it'd be super cool to see. Hopefully done better than Fates' black and white conflict and dearth of world-building.
As much as I loved Three Houses, it definitely was a bit frustrating having all of that essentially amounting to window dressing and never really traveling to see any of it.

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I have absolutely no desire to see is a modern day or futuristic FE game. Blech. Leave that to another series. I wouldn't want to see a medieval Advance Wars either

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I would love to see more development in this area. The inclusion of outside cultures like Brigid, Almyra and Duscur in 3H go a long way to make Fodlan feel like part of a wider world, rather than just Island Europe. At the same time, fans are left having to dig through the game's script to find each little morsel of information on these other cultures and are left begging for more. I would love to have a better look at Brigid, but I'm left with the odd mix of Petra's comments describing a tropical archipelago, a reused forest map, plus Petra's surname being Macneary. So then is Brigid suppose to be some sort of Polynesian-Irish mishmash culture? Maybe, since both are island cultures with a history of dealing with larger colonial powers, but equal odds that it's all just devs pulling names that sound cool.

Even just greater cultural distinction between the European-based nations would go a long way. Faerghus is the most culturally distinct of the three in 3H, which goes a long way to color the perceptions of the characters from there. Even just their unique myths regarding death and the underworld (revealed in the Claude/Annette support chain, of all things) gives a ton of texture to the mindset of Dimitri and why he obsesses over the things he does. Unfortunately the cultural differences of the other nations is less developed still; I couldn't really tell you what's the difference between life in Adrestria or Leichester.

OP
OP
Enduin

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
For example, a black main character voiced by a black actor with more African influences in the world & story would be amazing.
Yup a Mali/Sanghai Empire approximate or Empire of Ethopia would be really cool. Going farther back and giving us some Sudanese/Egyptian esq inspired nation would be really dope.
As much as I loved Three Houses, it definitely was a bit frustrating having all of that essentially amounting to window dressing and never really traveling to see any of it.
Yup. I got really excited when we saw the map for Three Houses. It was a massive step in the right direction after Fates' rather abysmal world building. But then it amounted to not a whole lot. A big issue with that game was how centralized it was on the Monastery. Without a traditional FE campaign the limited expeditions lacked direction and were just too limited in actual exploring and showing this supposed wide world it was set in.

It's pretty remarkable though that Fates is the worst written and worst developed world in FE and yet it's the sole game that has any meaningful and extensive portrayal of a non-European styled nation.
One thing I have absolutely no desire to see is a modern day or futuristic FE game. Blech. Leave that to another series. I wouldn't want to see a medieval Advance Wars either
Agreed. I'm down if they want to revisit the kind of 19th century imperial styling and structure of society that Three Houses kind of alluded to, but I don't want guns or anything remotely modern or futuristic. I still want FE to feel historic even if it's playing pretty fast and loose with era appropriate tech and society.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
As an Arab I'd love to see characters that feel somewhat middle eastern in a game I love. But on the other hand, representations of Arabs are often terrible and make me wish they never tried.

OP
OP
Enduin

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
As an Arab I'd love to see characters that feel somewhat middle eastern in a game I love. But on the other hand, representations of Arabs are often terrible and make me wish they never tried.
Well having a game solely set around Arab and ME style nations would go a long way in preventing some shady shit compared to if they went for a Crusades inspired game which could go real bad real fast.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes please. The Radiant games went furthest in this direction, though certainly not far or well enough, and it's the main reason they're my favorite entries in the series. Similarly the best part of Three Houses is the first half of the game when you see all of these students coming to terms with Fodlan's various political and class structures through their normal-ish lives.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
This would be really great! Having a more diverse cast would only make Fire Emblem better. Adding some new characters and regions with a non-European influence to an FE4 remake would be a great start.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
3 Houses clearly tried to represent various cultures with Duscur, Brigid, Almyra, and Dagda, but it sucked that you never got to actually see these places. I mean, there is 1 map in Brigid but it's a reused map from a completely different location and you dont actually get to meet a single person from Brigid aside from Petra. Like, Claude's route could've definitely found some excuse to take a trip to Almyra for your first meeting with Nader or something. Edelgard's route could've had a map that was basically like the Brigid map where you're going there to get them on your side before the knights of seiros do. Just being able to see these places and talk to some people there would help.

EmptyGirl

Dec 17, 2020
It really bothers me how so many Fire Emblem games basically cast any Desert nation as a society of evil god worshipping cultists (looking at you Plegia). And then usually populates them with white people anyway, or does the obnoxious "evil characters have gray/brown skin" trope. There's so much potential for a Fire Emblem game that upends and subverts these tropes. Like, you would play as a band of rebels from a desert nation and fight colonizers and oppressive nobles. The game would make clear that the god worshipped in the region isn't evil, but rather vilified by the dominant religion of the continent. You could even square off against a "Liberation Army" led by a blue haired lord, but it would be some kind of craven fascist enforcer squad working to uphold the status quo instead of a freedom fighting group

Unfortunately I doubt IS could appropriately handle a scenario like that, much less a typical FE game but with more diversity. Three Houses' increased diversity was nice, but some supports and plot details were really botched, Dedue and Duscur especially. I hold out hope that the series can amp up its diversity, but they are going to need to do the hard work of researching other cultures, checking their biases, and hiring a more diverse group of writers to pull that off.

OP
OP
Enduin

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wonder if this is a problem with Fire Emblem or with fantasy RPGs in general.
Both, but it's particularly noticeable and I think unacceptable for FE given how many games the series has had, the very large number of unique characters each game has and how nearly every game focuses on large multinational conflicts if not continental conflicts.

It's even worse when you consider the fact that several of the games in the series take place on the same planet. FE1/3, FE4/5, Awakening, Valentia all take place on the same planet across 3 distinct continents. Awakening takes place across the two continents that FE1/2 and SoV take place on like a thousand years later, meanwhile FE4's Jugdral continent is on that same planet and takes place many centuries before FE1 and SoV do. So on the same planet three entire continents are solely or overwhelmingly dominated by European-esq cultures and nations? With just one non-European nation being meaningfully featured and they're the dark skinned bad guys who live in the desert. And then the only other non-white nation is only mentioned and not seen and we get only 3 representatives from it. That is abysmally poor world building.

I took out a section on Suikoden out of the OP since it was already pretty long, but that's a series that over the course of only 5 mainline games has done far more than FE has done in over three times that. It's a bit wonky and goofy at times, but Suikoden mashes together all sorts of cultures, races and ethnicities and does really well by it most of the time. And those games have equally, if not much larger, casts that are all incredibly vibrant and diverse. That series too all takes place in the same world and focuses on different regions in each game.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Fates and Three Houses definitely moved further than previous entries on the diversity front, so it's not like the series is regressing.

We'll see where the series goes. I think it would reach more people and generally benefit from being less "European".

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse when you consider the fact that several of the games in the series take place on the same planet. FE1/3, FE4/5, Awakening, Valentia all take place on the same planet across 3 distinct continents. Awakening takes place across the two continents that FE1/2 and SoV take place on like a thousand years later, meanwhile FE4's Jugdral continent is on that same planet and takes place many centuries before FE1 and SoV do. So on the same planet three entire continents are solely or overwhelmingly dominated by European-esq cultures and nations? With just one non-European nation being meaningfully featured and they're the dark skinned bad guys who live in the desert. And then the only other non-white nation is only mentioned and not seen and we get only 3 representatives from it. That is abysmally poor world building.
Ah. Didn't know that at all. I've actually only really played FE7 and Awakening.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
At this point, it's super disappointing how all the progress towards trope subversion and introduction of consistently good darker-skinned characters in Tellius (but the less said about Devdan the better) went to the wayside and has since had to recover. Intelligent Systems took the reactionary, increasingly cynical route with design goals for the games after they and Nintendo sent Path of Radiance to die during the Gamecube's decline (hence screwing over Radiant Dawn), much as I like the DS remakes. Now that they've got their momentum back and tons of resources and market research opportunities, there's no reason to worship past archetypes of the series if they can instead move on to more varied, meaningfully developed settings and inclusive casts.

Maybe I'm just salty about how you can hardly even play the Tellius games these days without a sizable investment, since they're as close to what OP's asking for (same for me) as they've gotten.

It makes me wish that town exploration was a well-developed system in this series beyond just Gaiden/SoV. Shining Force made great use of towns, NPCs, and interludes between fights for pacing and world-building, especially in cases like Saraband from III. Base conversations in recent FEs are something like that, but often less substantial on the whole. Actually being able to journey around a typical (or, as OP's asking for, atypical) FE continent while talking with locals, learning about each place firsthand, all between and during fights? That would be the dream, and Kaga himself strove for that kind of elaborate story-in/with-systems integration for his titles, rushed and unpolished as they were.

OP
OP
Enduin

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It makes me wish that town exploration was a well-developed system in this series beyond just Gaiden/SoV. Shining Force made great use of towns, NPCs, and interludes between fights for pacing and world-building, especially in cases like Saraband from III. Base conversations in recent FEs are something like that, but often less substantial on the whole. Actually being able to journey around a typical (or, as OP's asking for, atypical) FE continent while talking with locals, learning about each place firsthand, all between and during fights? That would be the dream, and Kaga himself strove for that kind of elaborate story-in/with-systems integration for his titles, rushed and unpolished as they were.
So much this. I was really hoping they would build on the systems they put in place in SoV. The dungeon stuff was OK, but nothing special, but there was a lot of promise there in being able to actual walk around certain locations in and out of battle. And more importantly the way they used towns, conquered castles and forts to let you move around and talk to NPCs and your companions was great. It wasn't a super expansive look at the world, but still made it feel much more alive and tangible than past games. Once we saw Three Houses reveal of the Monastery I feared for the worst and was sadly right. Fun game, but not the direction I was hoping. FE4 would be a fantastic opportunity to revisit that though given the game's massive maps and many castles.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I completely agree. Funnily enough, FE Heroes has been more creative with its settings than the main series. Book 1 was standard FE, book 2 was fire and ice kingdoms, book 3 was the underworld, book 4 was a fairy dream world, and book 5 is steampunk with, uh, mechas.
images

I'd love to see this kind of variety in the main series. Hoshido was nice, and 3H wanted to try something new with Shambhala and some of the later enemies. But I'd love a whole game in, like, Almyra, or somewhere inspired by something other than Europe, or something that's not medieval fantasy.

On the topic of FE4, I actually wanted to make a thread about how they should totally redesign characters like they did Gray and Boey for the FE2 remake, and make each of the countries feel more unique by basing them on real countries and not just generic medieval aesthetic. I didn't ultimately because, like the thread about black Zelda, those discussions always have the same replies and end up feeling more negative than positive. But I think it would be super cool, for example, for Augustria to have a Moroccan style and Lachesis and Eldigan to have darker skin, for Ayra and Isaach to be explicitly East Asian, Silesse to be snowy-India, etc.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I completely agree. Funnily enough, FE Heroes has been more creative with its settings than the main series. Book 1 was standard FE, book 2 was fire and ice kingdoms, book 3 was the underworld, book 4 was a fairy dream world, and book 5 is steampunk with, uh, mechas.
images

I'd love to see this kind of variety in the main series. Hoshido was nice, and 3H wanted to try something new with Shambhala and some of the later enemies. But I'd love a whole game in, like, Almyra, or somewhere inspired by something other than Europe, or something that's not medieval fantasy.

On the topic of FE4, I actually wanted to make a thread about how they should totally redesign characters like they did Gray and Boey for the FE2 remake, and make each of the countries feel more unique by basing them on real countries and not just generic medieval aesthetic. I didn't ultimately because, like the thread about black Zelda, those discussions always have the same replies and end up feeling more negative than positive. But I think it would be super cool, for example, for Augustria to have a Moroccan style and Lachesis and Eldigan to have darker skin, for Ayra and Isaach to be explicitly East Asian, Silesse to be snowy-India, etc.
The redesigns of Gray and Boey was great, but that also went hand in hand with Hidari having free reign to design and redesign characters, many of whom never had proper artwork to begin with. Many were, at best, recolored FE1 portraits, if they didn't just straight up share a portrait with another Gaiden character.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have much to add other than I would love to see so many of these things.

I am only a FE Fan, but I'd love to have more than just another group of whites doing everything. Some leads characters, cultures, and showing love to other as many races as possible will only make the this franchise better.

Just do it right, no more white actors playing roles that we shouldn't be playing. Let's make sure the wonderfully talented voice acting communities show their stuff.

OP
OP
Enduin

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Totally, I'd love for them to go in that kind of direction for the different Kingdoms. Whether they've got a ton of artwork and established content for things like Cipher and Heroes with many of these characters already I don't think is particularly a good excuse not to do it. If anything it gives them the perfect justification to release even newer variants of these characters and milk people even more.

RJWalker

Feb 16, 2021
It really bothers me how so many Fire Emblem games basically cast any Desert nation as a society of evil god worshipping cultists (looking at you Plegia). And then usually populates them with white people anyway, or does the obnoxious "evil characters have gray/brown skin" trope.
?
Plegia is the only 'evil' desert country in the series. Every other one has been an ally or neutral (Jehanna from FE8, Nabatean from FE7, Wind Tribe from Fates, etc) like Yied from FE4 maybe but that's only a single location within a desert filled with numerous other locations all of which are under foreign control anyway.

With FE2, the vast majority of the cast did not have a consistent design. Several characters 2, 3 and even 4 versions. With FE4, the cast has been well defined in their design since their inception. All the ones that appeared in Cipher (which I think includes every playable character, npc, villains and even some background characters) and the ones that appeared in Heroes have kept their design (with the only noticeable difference being more intricate clothing).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
?
Plegia is the only 'evil' desert country in the series. Every other one has been an ally or neutral (Jehanna from FE8, Nabatean from FE7, Wind Tribe from Fates, etc) like Yied from FE4 maybe but that's only a single location within a desert filled with numerous other locations all of which are under foreign control anyway.
And Plegia is "evil" in the sense that they're ruled by a childishly tyrannical despot who gets replaced by a cult leader. And part of Gangrel's motivation to begin with was still being sore over Chrom's father, who while unseen was an unreasonable jackass to the Plegians.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I wonder if this is a problem with Fire Emblem or with fantasy RPGs in general.
It's a problem with western fantasy, and with fantasy descended from it (as are almost all JRPGs).

and book 5 is steampunk with, uh, mechas.
I haven't played Heroes in a year or two, so I hadn't seen this. But FE with mechs is extremely my thing. Would love to see a more modern, or at least somewhat cosmopolitan setting with mechs in the console series.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Heroes in a year or two, so I hadn't seen this. But FE with mechs is extremely my thing. Would love to see a more modern, or at least somewhat cosmopolitan setting with mechs in the console series.
I'd rather it didn't. Modern or even semi-modern just feels out of place for the series. (Not to mention the apparent idea to set Awakening on Mars they entertained early on.)

RJWalker

Feb 16, 2021
The Black Dragon Laguz from Tellius are very Indian inspired. Almedha (jp name Amrita) being the most obvious one and her brother Rajaion being very clear in the inspiration too. And while that's cool, I personally never considered being represented a big deal. Unless it's there but done really badly or something.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I don't like the idea of going modern or future. Keep it older.

I also don't want more in depth world building and lore. I like there being a mystique. In 3 Houses for example Brigid is far more interesting of a place because I never go there, because I don't get 10 books of lore on its history. I only learn about through a few history moments like them mentioning the war against the empire and then through Petra.

More lore isn't always better.

As far as choosing more diverse locations and cultures to take inspiration from. That would be cool.