• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it looks like Doi from Atlus doing the art, if I had to make a guess.

It's super hard to tell.

Last edited:

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it blew me away, but it also kinda intrigued me. There's a lot to like, and they seem to be focusing on things I like and less on things I don't like.

That said, the presentation is kinda bland and the whole thing seems to be missing some kind of hook.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to see new mechanics and ideas.
Visually it's nothing amazing, but doesn't bother me either.

Time will tell if the execution lands mechanically, but I'm looking forward to it.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just happy that I didn't see any pair up mechanic in the trailer. The art though... Huge step down from echoes. Looks "cheap" like Fates and Awakening

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I'm really glad they showed it and with a glimpse on the gameplay.

No Kozaki and no Hidari and you can see the drop in art immediately.

It looks a bit like FEW, but it's still early on, so I like to be hopeful.

Edit: went back and I changed my mind.

Last edited:

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad they showed it and with a glimpse on the gameplay.

No Kozaki and no Hidari and you can see the drop in art immediately.

It looks a bit like FEW, but it's still early on, so I like to be hopeful.

It's definitely refreshing compared to Kozaki, but would have vastly preferred Hidari if given the choice.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Worried they're going to make it more RPG-ish but it's too early to draw any judgement really.

They originally intended to have Corrin run around the castle in 3d in Fates, but couldn't get it to work. The exploration in Echoes was said to be built on top of that.

Still, breakable weapons returning make me think they won't be pushing any kind of obligatory grinding/random battles.

Last edited:

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Looking through it again, the portrait art and character models look a lot better than I thought from the first time watching it. Not sure who did the designs, the style sure looks familiar. Cinematics seems par for the course.

Battlefield presentation still looks rough, kinda like path of radiance. Battle menu options are neat and the visible lines as well. If weapon arts are in, maybe mila's turnwheel is as well. Formation seems like the new gimmick, interested to see that play out. Part where we explore the castle is really nice. Not a big fan of the my avatar concept, still I could deal with that if that's all.

Slowly warming up on it and They're also taking the western fanbase seriously with english voice acting and text.

Which ties in the other part I really enjoyed of the direct: smash. As Marth and Ike got some really cool changes. Adding english voice acting for marth and changing his side B. Ike getting a Path of Radiance look is a great way to cater to both fans. Lucina being an echo character is good as well. So she literally doesn't fill a spot anymore and could be tied to a slider for marth I think. Wonder if Sakurai will add a new FE character to the roster down the line. Alm & Celica would be a neat pick.

Also that final key art is really beautiful. Pretty optimistic about it pushing the franchise forward. Now to finish fates before I find me one of these switches and can't go back.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the game definitely looked better on a second viewing. I'm 90% confident the artist is Doi.

Looks like it's gonna shake up the franchise a bit, which is absolutely welcome.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Hm.
I was pretty spot on with my predictions.
Biggest error at the moment is thinking Lyn had a better chance for Smash.

I promise to use my powers responsibly.
Now, about that wonderful FE6 remake future, the one where it becomes everyone's favorite game...

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Hm.
I was pretty spot on with my predictions.
Biggest error at the moment is thinking Lyn had a better chance for Smash.

I promise to use my powers responsibly.
Now, about that wonderful FE6 remake future, the one where it becomes everyone's favorite game...
I assume in this future the FE6 remake is before the FE4 remake, because FE4 is going to be everyone's favorite game.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The really odd thing is that a few days back I was thinking about a FE-like game with a formation mechanic...
I assume in this future the FE6 remake is before the FE4 remake, because FE4 is going to be everyone's favorite game.
I don't know if FE4 fans would be happy with a FE4 that I end up loving, haha.
Now Rutger would love a truely perfect fe5 remake and change his name to shiva instead.
I would love that...

Not quite name change though, especially since many will probably think I'm referencing FF with the name Shiva.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
tbh, I don't know if most FE4 fans would be thrilled with my idea of a FE4 remake either, but that won't stop me from dreaming. It's for the good of the franchise!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I really don't like the art, but it's something I'm willing to overlook, to be honest. If anything I'm optimistic because it doesn't look too fanservicey... yet. So yeah! Let's hope they try to do something a bit more serious this time around.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I like FE4's gameplay just fine, it could just use a little less downtime. But I'm open for mechanical and design changes in a remake (and honestly expect them) as long as they keep the gigantic maps. A lot of stuff could use some fine tuning.

New game looks interesting but also pretty rough visually. I'm less excited than I thought I would be but still interested to see more nonetheless.

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's worth remembering this game is roughly a year or so away, meaning there's plenty of time to improve the textures that are used. They're rough, but that can change come spring.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Aggro lines make me a little nervous. That concept seems... unfit for Fire Emblem, unless there's an active skill that draws the next attacks within a certain radius, or something.

Jan 7, 2018
Doi is an awesome artist, I'll be really happy if it's indeed him. IMO the only reason he's not praised more often is because he's the succesor of Kaneko, the greatest of all time.
Aggro lines make me a little nervous. That concept seems... unfit for Fire Emblem, unless there's an active skill that draws the next attacks within a certain radius, or something.
What if aggro lines simply show which units the enemies are more likely to attack due to their AI, someone that is already in the game but is hidden from the player? That would be pretty good imo.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly most fe4 fans don't love the game for the gameplay (asides eugenics with holy blood), so you would be surprised. Better keep sigurd broke as fuck though!
If I remade FE4, I'd try to keep a lot of the ideas behind its gameplay, but heavily reworked. Large maps would still be there but completely redesigned, minmaxing for second gen would be there but not tied to holy blood(I really don't like the idea of some bloodlines being better pushed so much). Something for non-mounted units to not fall behind. Stuff like that I guess.

The game would still be broken, I like when the games let us go wild. Of course, hard mode would be added and built around it too.

I probably wouldn't touch the story much beyond making holy blood less real, so maybe many FE4 fans would be fine with it?
I think it's fine.
The way AI works in FE is pretty easy to predict once you're used to it in that game. Spelling it out simply makes it easier to read. There have been skills in the past that will make great use of it, and maybe we'll see new things that work with it.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting things to discuss from the trailer: magic and attack are now 2 separate commands, so we might see some changes to the way magic works? Combat Arts will most likely work like they did in Echoes, just hopefully more fleshed out and with a bigger variety of effects.

Formation probably has something to do with the Langrisser-esque soldiers accompanying your units but I'm curious to see how that's actually going to play out. Considering the information we have to work with right now my best bet is a FF-esque system where you can put your commander at the front or back of your formation, essentially choosing whether to prioritize defense at the cost of offense or vice-versa. And maybe a neutral "middle" formation with no advantages or disadvantages.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting things to discuss from the trailer: magic and attack are now 2 separate commands, so we might see some changes to the way magic works? Combat Arts will most likely work like they did in Echoes, just hopefully more fleshed out and with a bigger variety of effects. Formation probably has something to do with the Langrisser-esque soldiers accompanying your units but I'm curious to see how that's actually going to play out. Considering the information we have to work with right now my best bet is a FF-esque system where you can put your commander at the front or back of your formation, essentially choosing whether to prioritize defense at the cost of offense or vice-versa.
Combat arts mixed with the skill system is something I wanted to see, so I'm glad that seems to be the case.

Formations will be interesting. Perhaps it will affect stats in some way. Also, the game doesn't point out weapon triangle advantage/disadvantage, maybe that's gone in favor of different formations having advantages over others? Who knows, the weapon triangle could just be hidden and there's nothing pointing out formations in the combat menus we have seen, but the formations thing will probably shake things up quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to learning more.

Last edited:

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the game doesn't point out weapon triangle advantage/disadvantage, maybe that's gone in favor of different formations having advantages over others?
If it ends up being something like that, then I hope there's a cooldown period before you can change your formation (like, you choose your formation at the start of player phase but you have to wait until the next player phase until it actually changes), otherwise it'd be too easy to manipulate in the player's favor. That also adds the possibility of some units being better or worse commanders than others, having longer or shorter periods of cooldown.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, is the music Sawano? It kinda sounds like it.

Erugh if so.

As far as mechanics go - shake that shit up. I probably won't like all the changes, but the franchise needs some fresh air and I'm down for wacky shit. My only desire is that it doesn't get too complicated. Drop some older mechanics for new ones.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Combat arts mixed with the skill system is something I wanted to see, so I'm glad that seems to be the case.

Formations will be interesting. Perhaps it will affect stats in some way. Also, the game doesn't point out weapon triangle advantage/disadvantage, maybe that's gone in favor of different formations having advantages over others? Who knows, the weapon triangle could just be hidden and there's nothing pointing out formations in the combat menus we have seen, but the formations thing will probably shake things up quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to learning more.

I'm also pleased with their integration of Echoes' combat arts, and am curious how formations will work.

WTA wasn't indicated on the combat forecast, but the accuracy disparities in both Eldegard's axe vs sword and Dimitri's lance vs sword indicated that WTA is still very much in effect. Could be that the UI is simply incomplete.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, is the music Sawano? It kinda sounds like it.

Erugh if so.

As far as mechanics go - shake that shit up. I probably won't like all the changes, but the franchise needs some fresh air and I'm down for wacky shit. My only desire is that it doesn't get too complicated. Drop some older mechanics for new ones.

I'm not sure, the fanfare around 1:10 definetely sounds like it could be from AoT.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch, you guys are definitely underestimating Doi as an artist

Whoever's behind the character designs, they are absolutely not on Doi's level

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Put together a brief video of my thoughts on Fire Emblem: Three Billboards Outside Elibe.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this game might actually have a team of artists? The more generic style could be a way to have multiple people drawing without clashing with each other, unlike Heroes' art. They've talked before about how hard it is to find artists to work with FE due to how many designs are necessary.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
the fanfare around 1:10 definetely sounds like it could be from AoT
Yeah, that sounded typical Sawano. Didn't realize it the first time because I was watching it with friends and we were talking, but after I rewatched it I was like, oh lord is this Sawano? Then the lyrics started and I thought this might actually be true. Not sure how to feel about this, though, as I have kind of a love hate relationship with Sawano. His music is really entertaining, but sometimes way out of place. And in the case of Xenoblade Chronicles X I got so used to it I didn't think it was out of place anymore and started to kinda like it.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So we're just going to ignore the other 99% of her dialogue where she whines about Sothe's idol?

Also: Her leaving Begnion (as she was the legitimate heir to the empress and not Sanaki) contributed to the power struggle that resulted in Begnion and Daein going to war with the laguz so good job on making the best decisions to care for your people.
EDIT: Come to think of it, how did this not become an issue well before the events of Radiant Dawn? Did they seriously think no one was going to wonder where Micaiah went or that it wouldn't lead to power struggle, especially given that the heir is supposed to be able to talk to the goddess? You'd think they'd bring this up more than they did in either of the Tellius games.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we're just going to ignore the other 99% of her dialogue where she whines about Sothe's idol?

Also: Her leaving Begnion (as she was the legitimate heir to the empress and not Sanaki) contributed to the power struggle that resulted in Begnion and Daein going to war with the laguz so good job on making the best decisions to care for your people.
EDIT: Come to think of it, how did this not become an issue well before the events of Radiant Dawn? Did they seriously think no one was going to wonder where Micaiah went or that it wouldn't lead to power struggle, especially given that the heir is supposed to be able to talk to the goddess? You'd think they'd bring this up more than they did in either of the Tellius games.

Listen nerd, I don't have time to indulge your RD hate boner.

Don't be make me give you a swirley.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that sounded typical Sawano. Didn't realize it the first time because I was watching it with friends and we were talking, but after I rewatched it I was like, oh lord is this Sawano? Then the lyrics started and I thought this might actually be true. Not sure how to feel about this, though, as I have kind of a love hate relationship with Sawano. His music is really entertaining, but sometimes way out of place. And in the case of Xenoblade Chronicles X I got so used to it I didn't think it was out of place anymore and started to kinda like it.

I actually don't think it's Sawana but they were definitely apeing his style.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Listen nerd, I don't have time to indulge your RD hate boner.

Don't be make me give you a swirley.
578.png

Oct 25, 2017
Bored so I started a lunatic playthrough of Birthright again for the ~aesthetics~ It's too bad that they paired the interesting design choices of Birthright (and better story) with the duller game. Really hope that IS takes another stab at representing a non-feudal European society in the future, and I say that as someone who love medieval European fantasy stuff.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Bored so I started a lunatic playthrough of Birthright again for the ~aesthetics~ It's too bad that they paired the interesting design choices of Birthright (and better story) with the duller game. Really hope that IS takes another stab at representing a non-feudal European society in the future, and I say that as someone who love medieval European fantasy stuff.

Co-signed.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The game is purposely vague about Micaiah's past (which is a legitimate issue with the writing) but miss me with that Gamefaqs level "good job on making the best decisions to care for your people." garbage

The corrupt Begnion Senate and discrimination that branded individuals face wouldn't have let her cleanly ascend the throne

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame them for going with a safe setting with FE16. After the divisive reaction to Fates and 16 changing the gameplay formula.

I definitely want an unexpected setting in the next game though.