• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 7 and 21 were the probably the most difficult of the bunch, Chapter 7 because stupid Treck ends up dying pretty much immediately if you dont reach him on like turn 2, but you need Marcus to do that leaving the rest of your units to fend for themselves, and Chapter 21 because no one on my team could reliably survive the billion wyverns and paladins they send at you. I eventually figured out the strategy of rescue dropping my dodgiest units on a few mountain tiles near the wyvern spawn point and ignoring the left side of the map altogether. Then I just warped past the the Gale spawn zone near the throne which I remember getting me killed multiple times on my first playthrough.
Chapter 21 is one of my favorite maps in the series. Being a fairly large map with a turn limit and a ton of strong reinforcements makes for a good challenge, but if we get creative and explore our options it becomes possible to avoid the reinforcements and get to our goal quickly. It's such a great example of non-linear map design that rewards outside the box thinking, it's able to be challenging without feeling limiting. And then it also has the coolest secret shop in the series that lets us go crazy for the last few maps.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 21 is one of my favorite maps in the series. Being a fairly large map with a turn limit and a ton of strong reinforcements makes for a good challenge, but if we get creative and explore our options it becomes possible to avoid the reinforcements and get to our goal quickly. It's such a great example of non-linear map design that rewards outside the box thinking, it's able to be challenging without feeling limiting. And then it also has the coolest secret shop in the series that lets us go crazy for the last few maps.

It's definitely a map I enjoyed more my second time through than the first. Once you know how the map works it's interesting trying to figure out how to avoid getting overwhelmed, but the first time through I feel like I was just praying I didn't get screwed over by same turn reinforcements. I also didn't have the warp staff on my first playthrough due to its out of the way placement, so I couldn't plan around that either. Not that the warp staff should be easy to acquire, but I think putting something as important as that in a desert map (and in a timed desert map, no less) is kinda dumb. I can't imagine many people find that their first time through unless they look up a guide.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a map I enjoyed more my second time through than the first. Once you know how the map works it's interesting trying to figure out how to avoid getting overwhelmed, but the first time through I feel like I was just praying I didn't get screwed over by same turn reinforcements. I also didn't have the warp staff on my first playthrough due to its out of the way placement, so I couldn't plan around that either. Not that the warp staff should be easy to acquire, but I think putting something as important as that in a desert map (and in a timed desert map, no less) is kinda dumb. I can't imagine many people find that their first time through unless they look up a guide.
Hm...
That's not something I really think about since I always look up things like item locations and how to recruit characters.
I don't think that's too much of a problem, the game can be finished just fine without warp, and first playthroughs shouldn't be worried about efficiency.

But yeah, I can understand enjoying the map more on a second playthrough. FE6 is a lot like FE5 in that I feel both games shine the most of you're not playing completely blind.

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 21 was a lot easier the second time for me too, maybe it's just because I'd gotten out of Sacae hell but I was expecting it to be miserable but I had an easier time with it on hard than I did when I first played on normal. I think part of it is just that I was better at FE generally by that point too.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Chapter 21 isn't too bad when we know what we're doing. I'd count a few other maps as more difficult in the game.

Still, I think it is so well designed. Murdoch knows where we are coming from and thinks he has our paths surrounded, and if we just go down the obvious paths we get ambushed and overwhelmed, but if we get creative and use our relatively small flying units to cut a path through the mountains we can sneak past his plan. Brute force isn't the only option, but the game doesn't need too spell that out, it lets the player outmaneuver the enemy rather than keep those moments to the story.

It's probably still the most memorable map in the series for me.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Oni-link, your FE7 playthrough inspired me to get it on Wii U and finally finish it. I had a great time with it and I was shocked at how easy it was compared to my memory. My MVPs were Raven, Florina, Hector and Lyn. Although most of my team were ridiculously strong except for Eliwood who got RNG screwed on speed and became a liability.

I'm now tempted to jump into FE8 too. I never did take Ephraim's route.....

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow I'm pretty close to the end then

That makes me kind of sad

The only only FE game available to me is Shadow Dragon on the Wii U eShop

Well you still have the towers to complete if you want to do post-game stuff. It doesn't add anything storywise, but you'll be able to obtain certain characters to your party.

Shadow Dragon... That's my least favorite localized FE game.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing Echoes today. Maybe played 2.5 hours. I like it so far. I will say it does set the bar high in terms of presentation for Fire Emblem Switch. I expect full voice acting. I think it will considering Echoes and Warriors are fully voices for the main casts.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oni-link, your FE7 playthrough inspired me to get it on Wii U and finally finish it. I had a great time with it and I was shocked at how easy it was compared to my memory. My MVPs were Raven, Florina, Hector and Lyn. Although most of my team were ridiculously strong except for Eliwood who got RNG screwed on speed and became a liability.

I'm now tempted to jump into FE8 too. I never did take Ephraim's route.....

Hey that's great, I had a great time posting updates. I'm finding FE8 a lot easier than FE7 but I think that's because I understand how the series works now. If you've played a lot of FE games since FE7 it makes sense it would be easier to return to

Well you still have the towers to complete if you want to do post-game stuff. It doesn't add anything storywise, but you'll be able to obtain certain characters to your party.

Shadow Dragon... That's my least favorite localized FE game.

Ah that sucks, I don't own any handhelds other than the Vita so the 3DS games aren't available too me

Hopefully they get re-released at some point

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
In Echoes, is there any downside to switching your class early on? Lukas can now upgrade to a knight so I don't know if I should keep him as a soldier or upgrade him now.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
In Echoes, is there any downside to switching your class early on? Lukas can now upgrade to a knight so I don't know if I should keep him as a soldier or upgrade him now.
There's no downside whatsoever -- your stats get auto-boosted to a (fairly high) floor every time you promote.

You can technically get higher stats (I think?) if you're willing to grind to level 20 every time, but it's probably not worth it.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Ephraim route, which means I finished FE8!

So far, from bets to worst:
  • Shadow of Valentia
  • Sacred Stones
  • Binding Blade
  • Blazing Sword
  • Awakening
I had around the same enjoyment of FE8 as FE6, but since FE8 has a lot of improvements I had to give it the edge. Ephraim route was super annoying (worst boat map ever). Story was quite nice, but I wish the game was a longer.

Next up: Shadow Dragon.

I see that there's a mod for getting the Gaiden maps without the character # limit. Is it worth it using it?
Also, I see that there's a lot of mods and fangames for FE, especially the GBA ones, but goddammit couldn't someone do a visual mod for FE11 (and 12)? It's super ugly.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do you have the option to play Path of Radiance? If so, I'd strongly recommend the game, especially after having played the GBA titles.

I have a GameCube but it's not set up, and a BC Wii but it's also not set up, and I imagine the disc is pretty expensive these days

Oh well, I guess I can wait like 6 years for Nintendo to add GameCube games to the amazing online service

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And due to how getting experience works it gets much slower once you approach level 20 (even though promotion doesn't quite reset it to level 1 either).

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
There's no downside whatsoever -- your stats get auto-boosted to a (fairly high) floor every time you promote.

You can technically get higher stats (I think?) if you're willing to grind to level 20 every time, but it's probably not worth it.
Yeah you'll technically get higher stats if you go to 20, but because of how promotions work, the masses have decided it's not worth it. You'll just be a couple stat points ahead, usually in stats you'll max regardless.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just spent an hour on Chapter 19 of FE8 before giving up and making no progress because I couldn't keep Dozla from dying

Gonna restart the chapter tomorrow

I hate the chapters with chests that you have to race to get to as well, I never get them all and it always pisses me off. It's doubly annoying when the game spawns enemy thiefs into the level right by the chests, and how does that even make sense? Why the fuck are the enemies sending their own spies into their own castles to loot their own shit?

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I just spent an hour on Chapter 19 of FE8 before giving up and making no progress because I couldn't keep Dozla from dying

Gonna restart the chapter tomorrow

I hate the chapters with chests that you have to race to get to as well, I never get them all and it always pisses me off. It's doubly annoying when the game spawns enemy thiefs into the level right by the chests, and how does that even make sense? Why the fuck are the enemies sending their own spies into their own castles to loot their own shit?
It's something you'll get better at.
It can be a fun side objective, I like when that happens since it gives me something extra to plan for. On my recent playthrough I used warp to get thieves on both sides, while Vanessa rushed off to kill the boss. With how few maps are left we can use warp pretty freely along with Hammerne.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's something you'll get better at.
It can be a fun side objective, I like when that happens since it gives me something extra to plan for. On my recent playthrough I used warp to get thieves on both sides, while Vanessa rushed off to kill the boss. With how few maps are left we can use warp pretty freely along with Hammerne.

How do you use warp?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have the option to play Path of Radiance? If so, I'd strongly recommend the game, especially after having played the GBA titles.

It's pretty hard to go back to PoR and RD unless you're using an emulator. They almost give FF9 a run for its money with how slow they are. Great games, but sooo slow.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Got to admit that you're right. Turning off battle animations makes things somewhat bearable but only slightly so...

Nonetheless, it is still an incredible entry to the series and even though I know there are users in this thread that are going to come after me, I hope we're going to get a Remake of PoR next instead of FE4 or the likes. Ike is 100% more appealing than Sigurd and/or Seliph. I didn't enjoy Genealogy while I replayed PoR three times. It is the better entry imo despite it's flaws.

Oh nah, I won't go after you (and i think i'm like the only one here would count as an snes purist) I don't think Genealogy is everybody's cup of tea. That being said, people enjoyed Echoes alot more than they did enjoy Gaiden even if Echoes took some liberties with Celica's motives in the game.

Last edited:

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Genealogy isn't really that well liked in this thread aside from me and Drax I think, so you're fine. I would prefer for the games that didn't get official localizations (4, 5 and 6; at this point I think the boat has sailed for 3) to receive the remake treatment first though. And considering the entries they've remade so far it makes sense to prioritize the earlier titles.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't mind a remake of 4 and 5. Enjoyed 4 and only played like 2-3 chapters of 5. The GBA games are still playable by today's standards so they can wait. Wouldn't mind a PoR/RD remake either. Honestly I'm good with anything.... besides the pair up mechanic.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the idea that the unlocalized games should be remade first.
6 and 5 being two of my favorite games in the series may or may not influence that.
I wouldn't mind a remake of 4 and 5. Enjoyed 4 and only played like 2-3 chapters of 5. The GBA games are still playable by today's standards so they can wait. Wouldn't mind a PoR/RD remake either. Honestly I'm good with anything.... besides the pair up mechanic.
That's kind of funny, because I think pair up could work pretty well in FE4. Since the game doesn't care at all about balance and so many characters get left behind, it could probably give the non-mounted a boost without messing anything up.

I don't expect any really major changes like that for a 4 remake though, for better or worse.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Binding Blade remake will be sold on Roy's star power.

Genealogy remake will be sold on being epic and dark like Game of Thrones.

Thracia remake will be sold on the back of that non-playable boss that nobody cared about in his original appearance.

Hopefully Genealogy comes first since that's more of a pain to play than Binding Blade.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine (and hope) that when they do a remake of 4 and 5 they put them together. Would be nice to just have one big Jugdral game, a "Shadows of Jugdral" if you will.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be Let's Go Sigurd and Let's Go Seliph tho

Recruitable units don't attack you and you recruit them by rubbing their faces. Hire me IntSys.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 15 hours through Shadows of Valentia. Overall I am enjoying it quite a a lot. The positives are the presentation and characters. Alm and Celica I feel are great main characters and the full voice acting really helps you connect with the other units. I like the dungeon crawling as well. The negatives is mostly related to the battle maps. As some have said, the maps here aren't the best. A lot of them only have one direct path, meaning you have a bunch of units mashing together at a choke point. But also some maps are way to open, like ones set in open fields. I can never seem to block off pathways for enemy units to get to my mages and arches. Especially with cavaliers, they can easily bypass all my tank units and go straight for the mages. It's pretty annoying. Other than that, I have been enjoying myself a lot and it feels good to be diving back into a Fire Emblem game.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how practical mixing 4 and 5 into one game would be, they play so differently.

Hmm. I haven't played them yet, but I know that Tharcia happens kinda in the middle of Genealogy storywise, so that's why I said that. Are the mechanics really that different? Maybe they could mix them both?

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I haven't played them yet, but I know that Tharcia happens kinda in the middle of Genealogy storywise, so that's why I said that. Are the mechanics really that different? Maybe they could mix them both?
They play very differently.
FE4 has a lot of odd mechanics that don't exist in any other game. Characters have their own wallets, doubling requires a skill, things like that.
FE5 is more familiar, doubling works like what comes after, units can now rescue, but it has its own unique things like capturing and magic and res are one stat.

There's a lot more to it, but maybe that gives you a better idea? 4/5 aren't like 6/7 or 9/10, they don't use the same base, they were both experimental games in different directions.