• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I never said the lack of being forced to use it was why it wasn't particularly good, moreso that there were few opportunities to make use of it in the maps featured from FE5 going forward, to the point where I rarely find an opportunity to use it outside of (maybe) protecting weaker characters in Radiant Dawn Part 4.
If you're just using rescue to protect weaker units, then honestly, you're missing out.
Rescue chains to cut your own path through maps are where some of the most interesting strategies in the series come from. Opportunities to make creative use of rescue show up everywhere. Check out Dondon151's 0% runs of FE5 or FE6 if you haven't, seeing how smart use of rescue can cross FE6's large maps so fast is such a great example of how much depth the mechanic adds.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you're just using rescue to protect weaker units, then honestly, you're missing out.
Rescue chains to cut your own path through maps are where some of the most interesting strategies in the series come from. Opportunities to make creative use of rescue show up everywhere. Check out Dondon151's 0% runs of FE5 or FE6 if you haven't, seeing how smart use of rescue can cross FE6's large maps so fast is such a great example of how much depth the mechanic adds.
Puttiong aside my lack of interest in 0% runs, i'm aware of how they can be used to speed up maps but again, that's not a sign of map design taking advantage of the mechanic so much as it is the player exploiting it like using non-critical weapons in Conquest for the sake of training weaker units on certain maps, nor is this increased speed exclusive to the rescue mechanic since you can chain paired up units by way of transfer.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a move that is probably laughably predictable, I have to disagree with this somewhat.

Roy is not a nothing character, they just didn't do anything with what's there. He has a weak but smart thing going which can be pretty compelling compared to the other lords if used right, and some of the supports in the game show he has a bit of an inferiority complex(which is why he uses swords instead of following his teacher Cecilia as well as Lilina with magic). Those character flaws could make for an interesting character arc if handled well, and one of the things I hope they look at whenever they get around to remaking FE6.

On the one hand, yes, I did like how he was explicitly the army's tactician. The scene where he outsmarts the Lycian traitor is inarguably his best moment (partly because FE lords are mostly idiots, lol), but my man, he's such a nothing character in the main narrative. He's hopelessly generic, having traits like "is dense when it comes to women" or "is thoughtful and idealistic", which whatever standard shonen, but the problem is that he doesn't react appropriately ever. Not when
Hector is killed
. Not when he reunites with Lilina. Or when he confronts Zephiel. Or anything. His emotions are very muted (contrasted with his father, who is emotional when appropriate) and he's just... he's just fucking boring. Like when he's recruiting people like Hugh, he's unnecessarily humorless, and you absolutely wouldn't expect that from someone his age. Even his sprite is lifeless.

CjmAH3BVAAAE__-.jpg

I know that his supports hint at an inferiority complex that could (with the proper writing) make him amazing. Like I can totally see Roy, a studious tactician sort never being able to do well with magic and just feeling really bad about it, but it's sure as shit not conveyed in the main narrative It's a blatant case of tell, don't show, and it doesn't really improve on Roy's character in the ways that matter. Something FE7 really benefitted from (in spite of its flaws) was making the story very character focused. FE6 is "business" for pretty much Roy's entire adventure. A little humanity would have gone a long way towards making Roy better. I really wish he acted his age, because Roy's "journey" is arguably the most arduous for a person his age, but aside from the "oh actually, the pressure is really hard" sentiment he expresses in a support or two, it's never expressed.

CkJGWJZXEAA8pcg.jpg

And finally, Roy has not earned the right to be negative about himself, because relative to the narrative, he's this kickass hero who can do anything. Even his father sings nothing but praise for him (instead of, you know, be worried about his son)

You skipped over Leif, I'd like to add to that. He's kind of just a figurehead to raise morale in his army due to his birth, he doesn't make the strategical choices for much of the game and one of the few calls he makes is a hopeless suicide mission that gets people killed. It's an interesting idea, but undercut a little by being connected to a game where holy blood makes people special.

It's because I haven't played Thracia, but i'll take your word for it.

Point being that most internationally-released Fire Emblems had quite decent-to-good Lords, something everyone would prefer held true? Haha.

Actually, my point is that the blind worship that people older lords is silly because they're generally mediocre to good, and that aspects of the avatars that people are so quick to call out are traits present in the older lords as well.

Most aren't saying that Avatar = Automatic Bad Game/Story (at least on this forum), just that some aspects of Kris, Robin, and Corrin's avatar status contributed to their respective flawed implementations, and that could be reduced by either (1) recognizing and fixing what they did wrong, or (2) putting the avatar in a less story-relevant position, by which the flaws are automatically removed. Avatars can be quite fun mechanically, they just need to be handled with more self-awareness on the writers' part.

I don't disagree, but those complaints are consistently blown out of proportion (in this very thread). Nobody ever really thinks through their arguments, hoping that the dogmatic assertion that avatar = bad is enough to end an argument altogether. The avatars in question each have different flaws, so generalizing them is pointless.

Kris and Corrin are both worshipped by everyone in their games to the point that it's farcical—more than any other Lord, even Alm. Corrin straight-up has a love shack where they rub everyone's bodies, and the crux of the narrative divergence is "nuh uh, they're my sibling!" Neither of those things would have been the case for a non-Avatar character, because they were fundamentally built for one.

I mean, with Corrin it's a mixed case. The pandering towards them in my castle functionality and supports is pretty undeniable (and obnoxious), but I'd argue its mostly segregated from the main game, where it's a bit different. On Conquest, nobody worships Corrin. She is constantly undermined and told what to do. When you fight against the Hoshidans, most threaten to kill you for your "betrayal" (which is a silly thing to put on Corrin, but okay). She's still able to convince people to follow her cause, but like, that's standard FE fare. She can't ever convince the Hoshidans (sans Kaze) to change their mind and join her cause either. You can't stop a lot of deaths either. Like the whole point of CQ is that people hate her and she has to endure it. (Except not really because the writing sucks and is full of filler so you never feel the weight of Corrin's mission. Which is idiotic, lol). Like you wanna fucking talk about player worship, at least Corrin could fail. Echoes has a scene wherein if you let Mathilda die Clive berates Alm for it... only to go back on it and proceed to felate him because "WHY WOULD ALM EVER DO ANYTHING WRONG. THE LOVE OF MY LIFE IS DEAD, BUT IT'S ALM SO I GUESS I'LL LET IT SLIDE. EVERYONE DIES, IT'S REALLY NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL.

7OQXPOE.png

In Birthright, it's admittedly a bit worse with the character worship. The characters trust her implicitly; there are moments where she's challenged, but it's mostly superficial. That said, she can't really convince Xander to stop fighting or Flora to stop being an idiot, so I dunno if the "player worship to point of farcical", rings true here either. If BR were a standalone game, people would just call Corrin a mediocre lord and call it a day. She's really more generic and uninspired on that route than anything.

Also, I know Fates is a punching bag, but come on that narrative divergence is good. The conflict comes from people who Corrin have known their entire life (her family) arguing with people who demand that Corrin returns to them because they feel robbed of a sibling they never got to have. You can't just its a case of "nuh uh, they're my sibling" when the game has set this up to be a pivotal moment. Or what, do you think that if Corrin wasn't an avatar that either faction would calmly want to discuss which side Corrin should join? There's no way.

The problem comes from how badly they undermine it by making Corrin unrelated to the Hoshidans so they could pander to people who wanted to marry them. It sucks, and it's one of my biggest disappointments with the game.

As for Kris? FUck Kris.

Robin was a fine implementation, IMO, until the narrative decided Chrom should butt out because Robin was the Important One, also something I don't think would have happened if the narrative had been created without an Avatar in mind. We needed more Chrom! There was a lot more room for his development with regard to his hotheaded tendencies mirroring his father, and him choosing to follow Emmeryn's path instead.

I'm just going to quote this fantastic reddit thread:

The idea here is essentially that while the first arc of the game revolves around Chrom, he loses prominence in the seconds arc, and Robin "hijacks" the plot from Chrom in the third. Thus, by the end of the game, Chrom isn't even the protagonist any more.

Now, the basic idea that Chrom's prominence fluctuates throughout the story is actually sound. The nonsense is the idea that Chrom stops being the protagonist, or that Robin and Chrom are even fighting over the protagonist position to begin with. Asking whether Chrom or Robin is the protagonist of Awakening makes about as much sense as asking whether Ephraim or Eirika is the protagonist of The Sacred Stones. The answer is obvious: they both are.

Chrom and Robin are dual protagonists. They are the first two characters you meet. They're the most prominent characters in the premonition. They get similar amounts of screen time. If that wasn't enough, the game practically spells it out by constantly reminding you that they are "two halves of the same whole." Chrom and Robin are the 80's buddy-cop duo of Awakening. The story is just as much about their relationship as it is about them as individuals.

This works because they both contrast and complement each other well. Chrom is the heart of the Sheperds. He is kind and compassionate. He is the figurehead, the leader who makes speeches and inspires the troops. Despite his awkwardness in interpersonal interaction (especially with women), he possesses a natural charisma that comes out when speaking on topics he is passionate about (maybe he really is Inigo's dad). He operates on a much more emotional level than Robin, who is the brains.

Robin is the brains of the Sheperds. He is the one who crafts the tactics and keeps track of the little details. He is kind of Chrom's opposite, in a way. Robin is the thinker, Chrom is the feeler and the doer. Chrom is the talker, while Robin is the listener. While Chrom shines in the spotlight and is a bit awkward in person, Robin is at his best in person and is awkward in the spotlight.

While it's true that Chrom gets more focus in the first half of the story and Robin in the second, Robin never "hijacks" the plot, because the plot was always shared with Robin to begin with. Hell, Robin's most pivotal plot point is foreshadowed in the very first scene of the game. Chrom and Robin's nature as dual protagonists also leads directly to my next point.

PK we've talked about this before

Changed my mind. Roy sux.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Puttiong aside my lack of interest in 0% runs, i'm aware of how they can be used to speed up maps but again, that's not a sign of map design taking advantage of the mechanic so much as it is the player exploiting it like using non-critical weapons in Conquest for the sake of training weaker units on certain maps, nor is this increased speed exclusive to the rescue mechanic since you can chain paired up units by way of transfer.
The main thing to take away from 0% runs is that the flexibility of FE's system mechanics allows for the player to build strategies for any setup, while 0% runs take this to an extreme it also shows that outside the box thinking beyond things like a character's growths can go a long way.

I brought those runs up largely because they are a good visual example of the tricks available with Rescue. Yeah, we can create similar chains with Pair Up, I did after all say that I think Pair Up is a fine substitute for Rescue and it's mainly because of that. The issues I have with Pair Up are that thanks to the lack of drawbacks it becomes the right choice instead of a choice.

So I'm a fan of FE6, it's far from the most popular game, but its map design plays a big role in what I like about it. On a first glance many see that it's almost all seize maps and will write it off as not having variety, but look closer and you find these large maps often have multiple routes, many have side objectives, which allows the player to have plenty of options on how to approach the mission. Now, I can't speak for what the devs had in mind when making this game, but the end result is something that mixes perfectly with the Rescue mechanic, along with the lord that needs to reach the the throne to seize but isn't strong enough to just walk over to it without a care. FE6 maps sends us through many twists and turns to reach our goals while opening up many more paths for those willing to further explore the options available beyond the most basic use.

For me, good map design in this series has little to do with gimmicks like escape or defend, it's about the obstacles put before us and our options around them. Maybe when rescue was created they didn't know how much the player could do with it(though judging by how some of the mechanics changed going from FE5 to FE6 makes me think they understood how these options can open up new paths in a map), but that's not necessarily a bad thing because these are strategy games and if what is immediately obvious is the only way through then these would be pretty shallow strategy games.

On the one hand, yes, I did like how he was explicitly the army's tactician. The scene where he outsmarts the Lycian traitor is inarguably his best moment (partly because FE lords are mostly idiots, lol), but my man, he's such a nothing character in the main narrative. He's hopelessly generic, having traits like "is dense when it comes to women" or "is thoughtful and idealistic", which whatever standard shonen, but the problem is that he doesn't react appropriately ever. Not when
Hector is killed
. Not when he reunites with Lilina. Or when he confronts Zephiel. Or anything. His emotions are very muted (contrasted with his father, who is emotional when appropriate) and he's just... he's just fucking boring. Like when he's recruiting people like Hugh, he's unnecessarily humorless, and you absolutely wouldn't expect that from someone his age. Even his sprite is lifeless.

I know that his supports hint at an inferiority complex that could (with the proper writing) make him amazing. Like I can totally see Roy, a studious tactician sort never being able to do well with magic and just feeling really bad about it, but it's sure as shit not conveyed in the main narrative It's a blatant case of tell, don't show, and it doesn't really improve on Roy's character in the ways that matter. Something FE7 really benefitted from (in spite of its flaws) was making the story very character focused. FE6 is "business" for pretty much Roy's entire adventure. A little humanity would have gone a long way towards making Roy better. I really wish he acted his age, because Roy's "journey" is arguably the most arduous for a person his age, but aside from the "oh actually, the pressure is really hard" sentiment he expresses in a support or two, it's never expressed.

And finally, Roy has not earned the right to be negative about himself, because relative to the narrative, he's this kickass hero who can do anything. Even his father sings nothing but praise for him (instead of, you know, be worried about his son)

Yeah, FE6's story doesn't do much with Roy.
But to say he's a nothing character would mean there's no potential to improve, however I think the right approach in a remake could take what does exist and flesh it out to turn him into a pretty good character.
So I disagree that he's a nothing character.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, my point is that the blind worship that people older lords is silly because they're generally mediocre to good, and that aspects of the avatars that people are so quick to call out are traits present in the older lords as well.

I know what your point was; I was poking fun at the ironic impression I got from your descriptions, and proceeded to outline ways in which I think the avatars were handled uniquely from most Lords.

Again, I enjoy avatars, especially when we can customize their base class. I'd just like for IS to improve their implementation, or failing that, change them to be less relevant while still affording the player that fun sense of individuality and dynamic gameplay. I admittedly do not think they should be the sole MC again, because having iconic Lords is important to me (and to the series' identity and marketability).

Also, I know Fates is a punching bag, but come on that narrative divergence is good. The conflict comes from people who Corrin have known their entire life (her family) arguing with people who demand that Corrin returns to them because they feel robbed of a sibling they never got to have. You can't just its a case of "nuh uh, they're my sibling" when the game has set this up to be a pivotal moment. Or what, do you think that if Corrin wasn't an avatar that either faction would calmly want to discuss which side Corrin should join? There's no way.

The problem comes from how badly they undermine it by making Corrin unrelated to the Hoshidans so they could pander to people who wanted to marry them. It sucks, and it's one of my biggest disappointments with the game.

It was absolutely a great idea conceptually—I was extremely excited for Fates from its trailers, and I love plot divergences—but it was executed weakly, both in narrative implementation and scripting. That the plot convolutes to specifically allow you to have sex with your siblings is just the cherry on top.

And it's irrelevant, but if Corrin weren't the avatar, Fates would have been redesigned from the ground up. From My Castle, to Felicia/Jacob, to the incest, etc., Fates was conceived around Corrin being an avatar.

I'm just going to quote this fantastic reddit thread:

Neat reddit thread! I understand the duality between Chrom and Robin, and that they're both protagonists, but Chrom's character arc / Ylisse's backstory had threads that I felt wanted for further development, and the crowding of the game's story arcs precluded that.

Yes, Robin's future focus was foreshadowed immediately, but its inevitable inclusion wasn't very well handled, IMO, so people's consideration that it was at the expense of Chrom's is unsurprising—though perhaps it's Valm that should have been discarded/changed to refine the Chrom-Robin drama, or perhaps the game needed more chapters altogether.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, FE6's story doesn't do much with Roy.
But to say he's a nothing character would mean there's no potential to improve, however I think the right approach in a remake could take what does exist and flesh it out to turn him into a pretty good character.
So I disagree that he's a nothing character.

I guess "nothing character" is a bit of a misnomer, and I definitely agree with you on the idea that Roy's execution in the remake is promising.

Again, I enjoy avatars, especially when we can customize their base class. I'd just like for IS to improve their implementation, or failing that, change them to be less relevant while still affording the player that fun sense of individuality and dynamic gameplay. I admittedly do not think they should be the sole MC again, because having iconic Lords is important to me (and to the series' identity and marketability).

I'm not too invested in the concept. They don't really bother going all the way with avatar characters, so they should just scrap the concept and go with Fates's subclass system for the main protagonist. Alternate clothing and hairstyle can just be DLC or whatever.

It was absolutely a great idea conceptually—I was extremely excited for Fates from its trailers, and I love plot divergences—but it was executed weakly, both in narrative implementation and scripting. That the plot convolutes to specifically allow you to have sex with your siblings is just the cherry on top.

Hey no disagreements here. Just refuting the assertion that the set up is symptomatic of their desire to pander to the player rather than being a genuine story set up (that's horribly undermined by the poor writing)

And it's irrelevant, but if Corrin weren't the avatar, Fates would have been redesigned from the ground up. From My Castle, to Felicia/Jacob, to the incest, etc., Fates was conceived around Corrin being an avatar.

Redesigned from the ground up feels like a stretch. The onus on pandering to the player would shift from the avatar to the main protagonist (who would likely be male only) like in other modern RPGs (such as Persona, Trails, etc). The non-avatar version of Corrin would still have the incest, My Castle (iirc they wanted it in), pandering... it would just be to a lesser degree I guess. Fates fundamentally, just a cheese cake of a fire emblem game. Even some members of the development staff had issues with the direction the game was going in.

Neat reddit thread! I understand the duality between Chrom and Robin, and that they're both protagonists, but Chrom's character arc / Ylisse's backstory had threads that I felt wanted for further development, and the crowding of the game's story arcs precluded that.

Yes, Robin's future focus was foreshadowed immediately, but its inevitable inclusion wasn't very well handled, IMO, so people's consideration that it was at the expense of Chrom's is unsurprising—though perhaps it's Valm that should have been discarded/changed to refine the Chrom-Robin drama, or perhaps the game needed more chapters altogether.

Valm is definitely superfluous and the game would have benefitted if they removed it to develop the overarching story.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The main thing to take away from 0% runs is that the flexibility of FE's system mechanics allows for the player to build strategies for any setup, while 0% runs take this to an extreme it also shows that outside the box thinking beyond things like a character's growths can go a long way.

I brought those runs up largely because they are a good visual example of the tricks available with Rescue. Yeah, we can create similar chains with Pair Up, I did after all say that I think Pair Up is a fine substitute for Rescue and it's mainly because of that. The issues I have with Pair Up are that thanks to the lack of drawbacks it becomes the right choice instead of a choice.
I know how 0% runs work, I just have zero interest in them; they're not my thing or how I enjoy playing Fire Emblem but I know those and female-only runs are fairly popular in the community (the overall community, I mean, not this thread). As for the pair up system, the main drawback is that, if you're pairing up units, you have less flexibility if something goes wrong since you're essentially giving up a unit for, in Awakening, extra attacks for each move a unit has, a potential blocking of a blow (guaranteed in Fates after a few attacks) and a stat boost for the unit that one has paired them with in both Awakening and Fates. If it turns out that you need to send someone to, say, heal a heavily injured unit but your healer is paired up with a mage etc. and is too far away to transfer chain them, that's going to cause a significant problem and might result in a unit dying as a result of simply pairing all of your units together. Moreover, with supporting units not receiving as much experience as they would by attacking, it can become a problem if you rely on just a few units to clear a given map should you only play the story chapters. Not to say that there aren't problems with the execution in Awakening, Fates did better in terms of balancing it but the pair-up system is more a net positive than a complete one.
Fire Emblem Switch is going to be a bestseller, whenever it comes out.

Oct 25, 2017
"Giving up" a unit isn't a penalty in the real sense, because you get a juggernaut instead of two mediocre units. I can't think of really any time that pair up is a bad decision with tradeoffs.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I know how 0% runs work, I just have zero interest in them; they're not my thing or how I enjoy playing Fire Emblem but I know those and female-only runs are fairly popular in the community (the overall community, I mean, not this thread). As for the pair up system, the main drawback is that, if you're pairing up units, you have less flexibility if something goes wrong since you're essentially giving up a unit for, in Awakening, extra attacks for each move a unit has, a potential blocking of a blow (guaranteed in Fates after a few attacks) and a stat boost for the unit that one has paired them with in both Awakening and Fates. If it turns out that you need to send someone to, say, heal a heavily injured unit but your healer is paired up with a mage etc. and is too far away to transfer chain them, that's going to cause a significant problem and might result in a unit dying as a result of simply pairing all of your units together. Moreover, with supporting units not receiving as much experience as they would by attacking, it can become a problem if you rely on just a few units to clear a given map should you only play the story chapters. Not to say that there aren't problems with the execution in Awakening, Fates did better in terms of balancing it but the pair-up system is more a net positive than a complete one.

Fire Emblem Switch is going to be a bestseller, whenever it comes out.
Pair Up lowering the total amount of units you have in play sounds like a drawback on paper.
But in execution, it isn't. The gains from pairing up far outweigh that, and it's not strange to have a small handful of units do most of the heavy lifting in any FE game and Pair Up just makes that more effective. With how easy it is to transfer units around, it's not hard to plan a bit ahead so we move a healer where they are needed, also not having a healer in a good spot is more a problem with poor strategy and can happen in any game. Less exp isn't an issue for the same reason using Jeigans isn't, hell the fact that the paired up units gain exp at all can't really be called a drawback since it means units can gain exp without being put in any danger.

Now, I like the Pair Up mechanic, it's a cool and fun idea. There's just not really a cost to using it that might make us think twice. The healer example is a good one for this, if you need to get a healer closer in a game with rescue, we need a dancer for after they are dropped and if they were picked up this turn then we need another unit to drop them, this means two or more combat units wont be able to fight that turn depending on the distance we need to travel and our dancer can't give another combat unit a second turn, that's a high cost which means if we need that option then we need to be a bit more thorough in how we moved before this turn(of course, such situations can be avoided with being prepared with healing items, but the same applies to in the Pair Up situation). If we see Pair Up in the next game, and I'm all for it showing up again, I think it needs a bit more thought put into what the cost is for using it.
(This is a similar reason to why I don't like when mounted units can still move after combat, it also lessens the importance of planning ahead, but in this case it's because it's a free hit and run tactic)

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Never really understood why people doubted this, Intelligent Systems has no problem churning out games.
That's mostly because we've seen and heard nothing about the game and it's almost May. Usually, a new Fire Emblem game is revealed close to the beginning or end of the year rather than the middle.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's mostly because we've seen and heard nothing about the game and it's almost May. Usually, a new Fire Emblem game is revealed close to the beginning or end of the year rather than the middle.
Sure but all expectations are centered around this being a big step up for the franchise. In that context, a big E3 reveal makes a lot of sense.
It'll be their first high definition game.
No it isnt, just off the top of my head they made Color Splash and Pushmo World.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it was about localization time. If FE Switch comes out in North America in 2018 then it'll be much closer to the Japanese launch than either Awakening or Fates were.
It would be in line with the most recent release (Echoes) though, which is a better indicator than Awakening or Fates imo. That may depend on who is doing the localization, but both 8-4 and Treehouse have worked on the series concurrently with development.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sure but all expectations are centered around this being a big step up for the franchise. In that context, a big E3 reveal makes a lot of sense.
Eh, it being given its own Nintendo Direct was more an indication of how big the series has become. With as many games as there will be at E3, I wonder if a reveal during E3 is the best option when they'll likely show off other titles that will either take away attention from its reveal or overshadow it entirely i.e. Super Smash Bros. 4.1/5.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Color Splash is also a stunning game with an amazing soundtrack. Too bad they have a sorry excuse for a battle system. Even shooters are better rpgs than that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it being given its own Nintendo Direct was more an indication of how big the series has become. With as many games as there will be at E3, I wonder if a reveal during E3 is the best option when they'll likely show off other titles that will either take away attention from its reveal or overshadow it entirely i.e. Super Smash Bros. 4.1/5.
E3 is still the biggest stage for game announcements. Nintendo's announcements always garner just as much excitement as Sony or Microsoft's announcements, if not more so. There is absolutely no reason not to reveal the game at E3 if it is coming out this year. Why would Smash's full reveal take away from FE's full reveal? People expect the big publishers to have multiple big reveals at E3. You are basically saying if they reveal Smash they shouldn't reveal anything else of consequence. That's some really flawed logic, as if Switch owners can only pay attention to one announcement at a time.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

I was expecting a reveal pre-E3, either in a general Direct or a Fire Emblem Direct, but as we draw closer it's become increasingly unlikely. Being an E3 tentpole for Nintendo's 2018 makes sense, and was probably planned that way due to their (relatively) sparser catalogue for this year.

People will lose their minds for more Smash information, but not as much as if they hadn't revealed its existence in the last Direct—probably why they did that. Last year's E3 had Metroid's announcement, Pokemon's announcement, and Mario's release date, but they were still able to showcase XB2... and Fire Emblem is considerably bigger, with a fanbase that's rabid for information. Shouldn't get overshadowed at all. RPGs are a different audience.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, my only problem with Corrin has nothing to do with the fact that they're an avatar. It's mainly just that the game hinges upon your "choice" of side, so it feels like most of Corrin's dialogue is doubt about whether or not they chose the right side. On paper, that should work. Main characters doubting their decisions and having to fight their own family over their choices should be interesting, emotional, and engaging. But Corrin themselves feels so completely separate from the world in a way, especially to the audience who both clearly can tell that Garon is evil and also that there's a third story where you can choose not to betray either side. It just crushes the power of that choice and makes Corrin's character feel so wishy-washy at times. I felt like I was constantly yelling whenenever Corrin made a decision in the game, like "What in the world are you doing!?" It was so hard to connect with.

But aside from that, there's nothing implicitly wrong with the character being an avatar, you could put any lord in that situation and they'd still read bad.

Also PK, I get that Alm is def a mary sue, but by god 8-4 did such a good job on localization that I almost don't care. He's immensely likable even if they wrote away all of his potentially interesting conflict. He 100% should have been more foolishly aggressive, but they chose not to go down that path. It's unfortunate.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I woudln't say 8-4 for alm, the VA really carried him. Also i do think the internal adventure monlogues help them a ton.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I woudln't say 8-4 for alm, the VA really carried him. Also i do think the internal adventure monlogues help them a ton.
8-4's localization on Echoes was nothing short of fantastic. All of the written dialogue is incredibly natural, engaging, and performed excellently by the voice cast. The plot has issues but that isn't on 8-4

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
8-4's localization on Echoes was nothing short of fantastic. All of the written dialogue is incredibly natural, engaging, and performed excellently by the voice cast. The plot has issues but that isn't on 8-4

Oh it was, but I think the va in this game was especially top notch and what really shone.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. It was a joint feat by 8-4 and Alm's VA to make him so endearing in spite of IS's uninspired characterization of him.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also PK, I get that Alm is def a mary sue, but by god 8-4 did such a good job on localization that I almost don't care. He's immensely likable even if they wrote away all of his potentially interesting conflict. He 100% should have been more foolishly aggressive, but they chose not to go down that path. It's unfortunate.

No disagreements here, the Kyle Mcharley factor is simply too strong and his localized dialogue is really good. He has a way of making you root for him, even if his stuff is mostly superficial.

Did you know his ridiculously endearing observations are localization only?

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No disagreements here, the Kyle Mcharley factor is simply too strong and his localized dialogue is really good. He has a way of making you root for him, even if his stuff is mostly superficial.

I really hope 8-4 keeps localizing the series, they pour so much love into their work.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, I did. A point I contemplated deeply since I played echoes right after P5.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my hard mode playthrough of Radiant Dawn with all the secret ending stuff unlocked and Pelleas and Lehran recruited.

The beginning of the game is brutal on hard mode; as soon as you start getting characters which are "overleveled" on normal mode, hard mode starts balancing the enemies around those units and the dawn brigade becomes completely useless as a result, save for maybe Nolan and Micaiah/Sothe. Once I got past part 1 though, I felt like hard mode was pretty well balanced, with units that were pretty much invincible on normal mode, like Shinon, Ike, and Haar, no longer being untouchable (still pretty good though). Mia on the other hand became a lot better in comparison, being one of the few units in the game which can double anything and everything in a mode where lots of units struggle to double. She actually ended up as my MVP. Also I miraculously had a speed-blessed Micaiah which could actually double most things in endgame and somehow had more speed than Ike. I did make sure she hit 20 before both promotions so I guess that paid off.

The second playthrough makes 3-7 and 3-E much more interesting what with needing to get Soren in range of Micaiah/Pelleas, while taking care to not get destroyed by the Black Knight/Nailah. I suppose making this happen would be easy with long range magic, but I messed up every opportunity to get Soren a ranged tome in part 3: I didn't think to move Callil's meteor from part 2>part 3, I didn't raise Heather's str enough to steal the meteor in 3-5 (I tried though, and man did I feel dumb when I realized I forgot about the str req), and I didn't put Blizzard on Zihark in 3-13 (in fact I specifically moved it off of him to Edward cause I realized he'd be too fast to steal from, forgetting once again about the str requirement and that I could just recruit him to get it). In retrospect though, I'm glad I screwed up since it forced me to play super aggressive on these maps which was pretty fun. I ended up recruiting Jill to the Greil Mercs in 3-7 too, which probably wasn't the best idea at the time but paid off in the long run, with Jill growing a lot faster than in my previous playthrough.

I'm not sure how I feel about you getting basically twice as much backstory in the tower on a 2nd playthrough, one one hand it probably would have been a bit too much of an info dump to get it all on the first playthrough, on the other I feel there's some key info that probably shouldn't be locked to a 2nd playthrough. The info conversation in Rebirth 4 which reveals more about Deghinsea and Sephiran's history is the biggest omission, since it makes their motivations a lot clearer. And the final info conversation between Ike and Soren is really heartwarming, it's too good to be something most people won't see. Especially when it answers the question of why Soren hates laguz so much, which I imagine most people are curious about after seeing his extreme reaction to Lethe/Mordecai in PoR. Same thing with the reveal about the connection between Soren/Pelleas, that's some pretty crucial information to lock to a 2nd playthrough. I also think it's kind of dumb they bring Sephiran back to life, Ike is pretty much spot on when he's like "I can think of a several reasons why he should die."

As for 2nd playthrough units, Pelleas is...not very good, mainly since he's locked to the two worst magic types in the game. Dude just can't hit things reliably, so he ended up spending most of his time as a staff user. I did like that I actually got to see the confrontation between Izuka and Pelleas, but in retrospect that probably should've been in a bigger deal in the story and not some side-note on a 2nd playthrough.

Lehran...exists. The Ashera Staff he comes with is nice I guess but on a second playthrough you're gonna know to save your fortify uses for the final chapter anyway so it's kinda redundant. He can also use Balberith with much better accuracy than Pelleas, but Micaiah and Sanaki accomplish the same thing when boosted by Nasir, so again, he's redundant. Yune says something about Micaiah not being able to fight on the final chapter when she revives Sephiran, but nothing comes of it. Not that I wanted to lose Micaiah but I found that kind of weird.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finished my hard mode playthrough of Radiant Dawn with all the secret ending stuff unlocked and Pelleas and Lehran recruited.

The beginning of the game is brutal on hard mode; as soon as you start getting characters which are "overleveled" on normal mode, hard mode starts balancing the enemies around those units and the dawn brigade becomes completely useless as a result, save for maybe Nolan and Micaiah/Sothe. Once I got past part 1 though, I felt like hard mode was pretty well balanced, with units that were pretty much invincible on normal mode, like Shinon, Ike, and Haar, no longer being untouchable (still pretty good though). Mia on the other hand became a lot better in comparison, being one of the few units in the game which can double anything and everything in a mode where lots of units struggle to double. She actually ended up as my MVP. Also I miraculously had a speed-blessed Micaiah which could actually double most things in endgame and somehow had more speed than Ike. I did make sure she hit 20 before both promotions so I guess that paid off.

The second playthrough makes 3-7 and 3-E much more interesting what with needing to get Soren in range of Micaiah/Pelleas, while taking care to not get destroyed by the Black Knight/Nailah. I suppose making this happen would be easy with long range magic, but I messed up every opportunity to get Soren a ranged tome in part 3: I didn't think to move Callil's meteor from part 2>part 3, I didn't raise Heather's str enough to steal the meteor in 3-5 (I tried though, and man did I feel dumb when I realized I forgot about the str req), and I didn't put Blizzard on Zihark in 3-13 (in fact I specifically moved it off of him to Edward cause I realized he'd be too fast to steal from, forgetting once again about the str requirement and that I could just recruit him to get it). In retrospect though, I'm glad I screwed up since it forced me to play super aggressive on these maps which was pretty fun. I ended up recruiting Jill to the Greil Mercs in 3-7 too, which probably wasn't the best idea at the time but paid off in the long run, with Jill growing a lot faster than in my previous playthrough.

I'm not sure how I feel about you getting basically twice as much backstory in the tower on a 2nd playthrough, one one hand it probably would have been a bit too much of an info dump to get it all on the first playthrough, on the other I feel there's some key info that probably shouldn't be locked to a 2nd playthrough. The info conversation in Rebirth 4 which reveals more about Deghinsea and Sephiran's history is the biggest omission, since it makes their motivations a lot clearer. And the final info conversation between Ike and Soren is really heartwarming, it's too good to be something most people won't see. Especially when it answers the question of why Soren hates laguz so much, which I imagine most people are curious about after seeing his extreme reaction to Lethe/Mordecai in PoR. Same thing with the reveal about the connection between Soren/Pelleas, that's some pretty crucial information to lock to a 2nd playthrough. I also think it's kind of dumb they bring Sephiran back to life, Ike is pretty much spot on when he's like "I can think of a several reasons why he should die."

As for 2nd playthrough units, Pelleas is...not very good, mainly since he's locked to the two worst magic types in the game. Dude just can't hit things reliably, so he ended up spending most of his time as a staff user. I did like that I actually got to see the confrontation between Izuka and Pelleas, but in retrospect that probably should've been in a bigger deal in the story and not some side-note on a 2nd playthrough.

Lehran...exists. The Ashera Staff he comes with is nice I guess but on a second playthrough you're gonna know to save your fortify uses for the final chapter anyway so it's kinda redundant. He can also use Balberith with much better accuracy than Pelleas, but Micaiah and Sanaki accomplish the same thing when boosted by Nasir, so again, he's redundant. Yune says something about Micaiah not being able to fight on the final chapter when she revives Sephiran, but nothing comes of it. Not that I wanted to lose Micaiah but I found that kind of weird.
The worst part is that there's technically still a substantial amount of dialogue that was cut from Radiant Dawn entirely that provides even further details. They really botched Radiant Dawn's localization.

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
I loved playing FE4 (its first three chapters only tho), but it's so slow I'll gladly wait for a Echoes-like remake.

I know about the switcharoo thing and it's glorious but I just don't have the time

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
Coming back to the how much Robin=you is localization induced topic I'm still seriously way overthinking, I just remembered there's an unused alternate version of the Japanese Awakening logo in the game that uses "you" to describe things that happen to Robin.
DPsVzVG.png

"Amnesia... A mysterious mark on the back of your hand. A Ghost responsible for saving the entire World. Dreaming of killing your own best friend. A stranger with a face just like yours... Who are you really? The answer..."

Sorry if it's hard to read on the light forum skin but there's not much I can do about that....

(It's not a big deal or anything I just like rambling about trivial things)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The odd bit is that although the localization's marketing (and renaming) pushed Robin as "you" more than the original, they cut the silent voice option, which would push that in a much stronger way.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Roy has the binding blade. That makes him better than his dad and Lyn in my book.
And yes I know it's a limited use item, he gets a late promotion, and has no mount. But you know what he has? The binding blade.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Roy has the binding blade. That makes him better than his dad and Lyn in my book.
And yes I know it's a limited use item, he gets a late promotion, and has no mount. But you know what he has? The binding blade.
Eliwood is far better because he has access to lances and a mount. Especially on Hector's mode he's great because he can promote earlier. I would agree that Roy is better than Lyn in terms of gameplay, Roy is dead weight for most of the game but has a lot of utility in the last few chapters, Lyn has limited use the entire game. I like Lyn as a character though.