• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope the next Fire Emblem game will have a decent story and will avoid the unnecessary semi-multiplayer features that don't really add anything worthwhile. Also, if they could rethink their DLC policy and tone it down, it would be a welcomed change (a man can dream).

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say Seth is the best paladin you get in terms of stats. It's just that you get him chapter 1 and his growth rates are great. I'd say he's weaker than Sain, as Sain will consistently cap out his strength and speed and have high hp. I'd put Franz above him as wellI. It's just that you get Sain and Franz as cavaliers, while Seth is a paladin from the start lol

Oh and 8 is the easiest gba FE game as you can always grind in the tower. And Ephraim's chapter is also more difficult than Erika's. Only localized games that are easier than 8 are Birthright and Awakening. Grinding + broken pair up mechanic makes those games a bit of a joke.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say Seth is the best paladin you get in terms of stats. It's just that you get him chapter 1 and his growth rates are great. I'd say he's weaker than Sain, as Sain will consistently cap out his strength and speed and have high hp. I'd put Franz above him as wellI. It's just that you get Sain and Franz as cavaliers, while Seth is a paladin from the start lol

Oh and 8 is the easiest gba FE game as you can always grind in the tower. And Ephraim's chapter is also more difficult than Erika's. Only localized games that are easier than 8 are Birthright and Awakening. Grinding + broken pair up mechanic makes those games a bit of a joke.
Yup. That's what I disliked about Birthright and Awakening, compared to Fire Emblem 7 and Path of Radiance: I just had the feeling to move from a carefully crafted experience to something more akin to a mess. Let's face it: Awakening is awfully broken (which has its charm, I'll admit, but when it becomes that easy to break the game, it is no longer fun), and some children chapters of Birthright clearly weren't very well planned (you'd better not attempt Shiro's chapter too late, for instance).
And the less said about Revelations' balance, the better.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
I've played FE6-10 and 8 is the easiest of the bunch IMO. Though I also did Eirika's route and I've heard Ephraim's is harder.

I've only played Ephraim's route. The only hard map was the boat one, only because of the obnoxious reinforcements and fog of war. Besides that, it was probably one of the easiest I've played and I didn't use much grinding at all.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As others have pointed out, FE8 is actually quite easy, and made even more so by the ability to grind.

Unfortunately, a lot of the difficulties you've run into seem to have come about by relying too much on certain units, and allowing other units to fall behind and become very underleveled. That's why I originally recommended you temper your usage of prepromotes and not rely on them overmuch in the beginning, because without a more well-rounded team, new players can seriously struggle—something a lot of advanced players forget, but we're seeing with your playthrough!

The final map shouldn't be as difficult as Chapter 30, because of something OP you gain access to for that chapter. As long as you're careful and methodical in how you approach it, you'll be fine because of that. It should be possible to complete it.

P.S. For Chapter 30, have you been recruiting Renault in the northwestern ruin? He'll be very helpful, especially if you've not trained any healers.

No the ruin got destroyed

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Seth is better than Franz. He has far better bases, is way more useful from the start, and has better growths. What other metric would you even judge units by? Sure, Franz has more potential level ups than Seth, but unless you are grinding to 20/20 for the creature campaign that's irrelevant.

Sain isn't even in FE8, so I'm not sure why we are talking about him? Unless you mean in the series overall.

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah if you're the type person who isn't going to bother with the post-game you can just use Seth the entire game, and you'll be fine. I'm pretty positive that Franz has higher speed growth and the rest of his stats should be on par with Seth. They're both solid units, and 8 it is a relatively easy game.

"Best unit in the entire series"

Arcus Felis If the next mainline game has a paired mechanic. I'm going to be disappointed for sure.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Update: I just beat chapter 30, killed all the reinforcements, now Hawkeye, Sain, Isadora, Marcus are all max level and Lowen and Vaidya are 18/19

I didn't recruit the character in chapter 30 as the ruins were destroyed

I'll maybe have a go at the final level later on, but probably tommorw

Any tips would be appreciated

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this about Sacred Stones - I played on hard my first playthrough, completely avoiding all optional battles, and I found it to be a good deal tougher than either Blazing Blade or Path of Radiance (or any of the pre-Thracia games). It's probably around the middle of the series in difficulty if you play it that way, and it certainly offers a more satisfying first playthrough than FE7. I do think it's a little dumb that you have to handicap yourself to get the best out of that game though, so I'm not saying this to excuse it - but you don't have to go far out of your way to get a solid experience from it if you like a challenge.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Update: I just beat chapter 30, killed all the reinforcements, now Hawkeye, Sain, Isadora, Marcus are all max level and Lowen and Vaidya are 18/19

If you have one, give the new character in the final chapter a Luna tome. With that alone they will be able to kill the toughest enemies with ease.
If you have a Light magic user leveled, you may consider using them (but I fear it isn't the case). Otherwise, the new character will make a good use of that school of magic (you will need it, I assure you, especially if you don't have a Luna tome).
I hope your Hector is max-leveled. You will want him to kick ass.
If your Eliwood and Lyn aren't leveled enough, you will need to make sure they don't bite the dust. Don't bother using them against the boss, as even the "boosts" received in that chapter won't be enough if they are too far behind (and if their Speed is too low, you really don't want to use what you're going to get for them).
Bring only the best units, period.
If you still have some enhancement items, it is high time to use them on your characters.
Of course, use your best weapons and staves. There is no point in saving uses now. Bring out the big guns.
Be careful: you will fight the elite (this is not an exageration, this is a truth statement). They can and will wreck you if you are too cocky. Take them down swiftly, otherwise you will get overwhelmed.
Worst case scenario, you will need to use your weaker units as meat shields/scapegoats. Not ideal (some may call it heresy), but it is better to sacrifice the weaker ones rather than the powerful ones.

On a side note: in all Fire Emblem games, make sure you don't neglect your Lords. More often than not, they are your best units, and even if they aren't they are mandatory, so you will want them to be at least usable. In future playthroughs, I advise you to make sure your Lords aren't underleveled.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
All the 'bosses' in the final chapter are fairly easy to counter with the right unit, except Uhai who can be troublesome to kill without a critical hit. Just focus on remembering who you encounter first and work from there. The chambers open one by one so positioning your units to deal with them becomes critical, either by blocking the entrance or killing them in one turn.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah if you're the type person who isn't going to bother with the post-game you can just use Seth the entire game, and you'll be fine. I'm pretty positive that Franz has higher speed growth and the rest of his stats should be on par with Seth. They're both solid units, and 8 it is a relatively easy game.

"Best unit in the entire series"

Arcus Felis If the next mainline game has a paired mechanic. I'm going to be disappointed for sure.
Here, I'll lay out their growths/bases for you so you see what I'm talking about
Seth's Growths
HP: 90 Str: 50 Skl: 45 Spd: 45 Lck: 25 Def: 40 Res: 30

Franz's Growths
HP: 80 Str: 40 Skl: 40 Spd: 50 Lck: 40 Def: 25 Res: 20

So from this, we can see that Seth has significantly higher Strength, Defense, and Resistance growths compared to Franz. Franz does have higher speed, but it's only 5% higher than Seth's which is pretty negligible overall, whereas the 10% difference in Strength and 15% difference in Defense is enough to matter, especially for a unit that is going to be on the front lines like a Paladin. However, it gets even worse for Franz when you compared their base stats

Seth's Bases:
HP: 30 Str: 14 Skl: 13 Spd: 12 Lck: 13 Def: 11 Res: 8

Franz's Bases:
HP: 20 Str: 7 Skl: 5 Spd: 7 Lck: 2 Def: 6 Res: 1

So comparing bases and factoring in their growths, it becomes very clear why Seth is superior to Franz. Seth has double the Strength Franz does, and with Franz's growth rate he will only catch up to Seth's bases, on average, after over 14 level ups. Meanwhile with Seth's 50% growth in the sat, he will be long past that point if you are using both units. Defense is even worse for Franz, as his growth is pretty poor in that stat, and Seth has a great base of 11 and a decent growth of 40, so it's basically impossible for Franz to ever catch up in that stat. Same goes for Luck, as even though Franz has the higher luck growth, Seth's base luck is so high and Franz's so low that even with a higher growth % Franz will almost always have lower luck. Speed is the only area in which Franz will likely catch up to Seth's bases, but since their growth is nearly the same Seth will usually have higher speed until late game, where it won't matter as they will both be doubling everything.

The general wisdom is that pre-promotes have higher bases and are immediately useful, but unpromoted units grow faster and better. Seth bucks this trend by having great bases AND amazing growths, making him the best Sacred Stones unit by far. That's just a basic stat comparison too, which doesn't even factor in general usefulness as Seth can double, has 8 move, and can survive enemy phase alone from the beginning, not to mention wielding the Silver Lance. Franz can do none of that without significant investment, and even if you do put in the time, he won't end up better than Seth in most cases.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
All right, Seth is the better unit than Franz generally haha. I guess I remembered it incorrectly, I only used Seth on my first playthrough anyway. I bench him majority of the time.

Last edited:

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Seth is pretty much the anti-Jeigan. Interestingly enough, they did it again with Titania, who has even better growths than Seth and very similar bases (seriously, 40% DEF and 45% RES is insane, on top of her top-notch offensive growths and good Luck growth to boot). And since in Path of Radiance she can move after acting, that makes her even more powerful.

Oscar will be a better unit if properly trained, as one can actually choose his secondary weapon upon promotion (Bow is a good choice in general). He will suffer from his non-existent resistance stat at first though (starting at 0 makes any unit wary of magic users). Oscar should be a better offensive unit than Titania if trained, whereas Titania will become a better tank (well, against magic-users anyway; Oscar will have much more Defense than her if properly trained).

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has great growths in PoR though. That's why you shouldn't compare characters between games.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just noticing a trend. You will notice I'm comparing her more thoroughly with Oscar than with Seth (because, as you pointed out, Seth and her aren't from the same game). Still, Seth and Titania fill the same role and are very similar, therefore I see no reasons to not compare them on that aspect. Overall Titania has the best defensive growths among all Cavaliers/Paladins in Path of Radiance. Only Geoffrey slightly trumps her with his 45% Defense growth (and his base 21 Defense makes him a galloping tank).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seth is pretty much the anti-Jeigan. Interestingly enough, they did it again with Titania, who has even better growths than Seth and very similar bases (seriously, 40% DEF and 45% RES is insane, on top of her top-notch offensive growths and good Luck growth to boot). And since in Path of Radiance she can move after acting, that makes her even more powerful.

Oscar will be a better unit if properly trained, as one can actually choose his secondary weapon upon promotion (Bow is a good choice in general). He will suffer from his non-existent resistance stat at first though (starting at 0 makes any unit wary of magic users). Oscar should be a better offensive unit than Titania if trained, whereas Titania will become a better tank (well, against magic-users anyway; Oscar will have much more Defense than her if properly trained).
Yup, typically units like Titania and Seth are called Oifey's, because they have all the strengths of a Jeigan with none of the downsides.

Everyone has great growths in PoR though. That's why you shouldn't compare characters between games.
True, comparing units across games is useless because some games, like Awakening, have such inflated growths. Or you've got games where the balance is incredibly strange, like Thracia 776 with Orsin who will crit on every follow up attack while using his prf axe.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
bows are a terrible option for anyone other than Kieran in PoR (who already has the best weapon type)
I appreciate being able to attack at range with my characters. Granted, Oscar already has that option with Javelins, but Bows are more accurate, durable and deal extra damages to pegasus, wyverns, crows and hawks. It helps when you are facing these enemies (although the only flying units that show up regularly as enemies in PoR are wyvern riders IIRC). I may be the oddball here, but I like my bow users.

Now, advocating to pick knives instead of staves for magic users... THAT would be terrible.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Astrid requires quite a lot of attention to make her worthwhile. Still, thanks to Paragon, players can actually train her if they choose to, although she will need to be babysat until she can pull her own weight. Once promoted, she is a very competent unit in Path of Radiance, and I liked using her in my playthroughs.

Radiant Dawn's Astrid, however? She doesn't exist in my eyes. What they did to her artwork and her obsession with Makalov destroyed any interest I had in that character.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
She also lost her main gimmick gameplay-wise since you can just unequip Paragon and swap it around like an item.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody likes Astrid huh? lol

I used Astrid for my PoR playthrough. She was a pain in the ass to train early on but she became pretty good once promoted. I could probably get the same result out of any of the other cavaliers with much less trouble but I'm always drawn towards characters which start out super weak.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Pick your units carefully. Make sure everyone is outfitted. If you have any stat enhancement items, now is the time to use them. Also save before you start the map.

The general idea is that you want to kill off your opponents fast enough, so they're not ganging up on you. These units are pretty damn strong so keep everyone healed up and the weaker units out of sights.

Give Hector the exp if he's not maxed out yet. He'll be likely the main damage dealer for the boss.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I like using Astrid but by that point in the game you'll already have Titania, Oscar and Kieran who are all decent to great units. Though paladins are quite overpowered in PoR so you can get away with using all of them (except Makalov). I think Makalov is probably the only character I've never used in PoR despite my many playthroughs. Him and Largo (shows up too late).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like using Astrid but by that point in the game you'll already have Titania, Oscar and Kieran who are all decent to great units. Though paladins are quite overpowered in PoR so you can get away with using all of them (except Makalov). I think Makalov is probably the only character I've never used in PoR despite my many playthroughs. Him and Largo (shows up too late).
Eh, he doesn't show up THAT late and he's plenty usable, especially considering he's mounted. The more mounted units the better. Largo is also usable, but he is a total glass cannon.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, he doesn't show up THAT late and he's plenty usable, especially considering he's mounted. The more mounted units the better. Largo is also usable, but he is a total glass cannon.

Yeah definitely fair points, I guess I've just always been using one or two other cavaliers by the time he turns up so he seems redundant since I generally try to avoid using too many of the same classes. Also I've always been turned off by his character design.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Astrid is the Est/Nino/Donnel of Path of Radiance: She requires a huge investment to become viable but once that's taken care of, she'll be among your best units in Path of Radiance. Unlike Est or Nino, her availability isn't so late that said investment is as large as it is for those characters, mostly because of her access to Paragon. That said, the biggest knocks against her are her relatively low weapon level when you recruit her that makes it difficult to get the kills necessary to level her up when she's restricted to Steel weapons that weigh her down .

As for Radiant Dawn, she's one of the least useful cavalier units when you have several bow users to choose from, all of whom have greater access. The only use you'll find for her is giving someone else her Paragon skill for some late game experience boost given the mess of a campaign that makes it difficult to train whichever units you're planning to take into the final chapters.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Astrid is the Est/Nino/Donnel of Path of Radiance: She requires a huge investment to become viable but once that's taken care of, she'll be among your best units in Path of Radiance. Unlike Est or Nino, her availability isn't so late that said investment is as large as it is for those characters, mostly because of her access to Paragon. That said, the biggest knocks against her are her relatively low weapon level when you recruit her that makes it difficult to get the kills necessary to level her up when she's restricted to Steel weapons that weigh her down .

As for Radiant Dawn, she's one of the least useful cavalier units when you have several bow users to choose from, all of whom have greater access. The only use you'll find for her is giving someone else her Paragon skill for some late game experience boost given the mess of a campaign that makes it difficult to train whichever units you're planning to take into the final chapters.

Minor nitpick, but Nino definitely doesn't belong in that group. Like once you grind her up, her laughably low Con still holds her back when using heavier tomes and her level deficit is so low, it isn't enough for her growths to make up for it.

At best she's usable, but never among your best, even at her best.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Once trained, Nino is a powerhouse. However, her CON is indeed laughably low, hindering severely her performance. She joins hella late too. Overall, most players are better off sticking with Erk or Pent (or even Priscilla), although they probably won't cap their MAG whereas she most certainly will. The Afa's Drop helps.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once trained, Nino is a powerhouse. However, her CON is indeed laughably low, hindering severely her performance. She joins hella late too. Overall, most players are better off sticking with Erk or Pent (or even Priscilla), although they probably won't cap their MAG whereas she most certainly will. The Afa's Drop helps.
Who cares if she can cap magic if she's a significant hinderence to your team for multiple chapters?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Lucius is my favorite kind of glass canon.

And yeah, we are better off using Pent in most cases.