• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fuck chapter 27, Cog of Destiny

How the hell is this even possible?

Every turn they spawn in more enemies, then they spawn fucking dragon riders right by your tent, two turns in a row!

The mission starts with 43 enemies, but even after killing 5/6 a turn by the 6th or 7th turn they still have 37 because of the absurd enemy spawn rates, and at that point I'm starting to lose characters

Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something, or does the games difficulty level just ramp up to the extreme in the final missions?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017

Every turn they spawn in more enemies, then they spawn fucking dragon riders right by your tent, two turns in a row!

The mission starts with 43 enemies, but even after killing 5/6 a turn by the 6th or 7th turn they still have 37 because of the absurd enemy spawn rates, and at that point I'm starting to lose characters

Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something, or does the games difficulty level just ramp up to the extreme in the final missions?
If Merlinus wasn't able to promote when you reached that map, you probably lost him one time too many or missed a few paralogue maps.

Don't worry about him: he will reappear in the next maps (not the one right after Cog of Destiny though), even if you lose him in that one.

This map has a lot of reinforcements, but you should be able to deal with them as they appear. Play defensive if necessary: you are in no rush to complete the map. If you didn't do it already, promote your healers. Pent is also a good healer if you need someone else to help healing.

Regarding Wyvern Riders: either you station some units in the rear to protect Merlinus when they spawn (ill-advised), either you let Merlinus bites it and try to divide these reinforcements by baiting them with your units. Also, spoiler:

You actually can recruit Vaida. Talk to her with Eliwood.

Also, you reaaaaaaaaaaally want a very good spear user against the boss (which should be Linus, from what I assume from your playthrough experience).

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

Cog of Destiny is probably the most enemy heavy map in the game, but it should be manageable if you block off their routes to your units. Right after you cross the first bridge on the map to the central area, there's a bit of an open area and then a few mountains between which you can position your tankier units. It takes like 5-6 units just acting as walls to block off all the enemy routes, but if you do so you'll end up cutting off huge groups of enemies from reaching you and then you can pick them off slowly with your long range units.

Since you know the wyvern riders spawn near Merlinus you can leave 2-3 units by there to get them right as they spawn before they can become a problem. Either that, or you can group up your units around the middle of the map to take them on all at once, but IMO it's hard to cover your squishier units that way cause of their high movement and the many mountains on the map which they can fly over but you can't.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean by cutscenes for most of the fights? Cutscenes showing some fighting either before or after actually facing the boss?

I wonder if theyll adopt something like Valkryia Chronicles
I think Codename Steam bombing will keep them from trying another game in that style for a while, even though the slow enemy turn was just a lesser issue.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
What do you mean by cutscenes for most of the fights? Cutscenes showing some fighting either before or after actually facing the boss?

I think Codename Steam bombing will keep them from trying another game in that style for a while, even though the slow enemy turn was just a lesser issue.

tbf, codename steam aesthetically looked awful

at least in my opinion. I never bought it because it looked awful

wasnt because of the combat, was the combat that loathed?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The enemy turns could last quite a bit since they can't be skipped due to the line of sight counter mechanic, and characters move in player/enemy phase like in FE. Eventually they did add the ability to boost the speed of enemy phase though, but it was too late by then, and like you say there the aesthetics killed most of the interest in the game before even getting into the gameplay.

Last edited:

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cog of Destiny is probably the most enemy heavy map in the game, but it should be manageable if you block off their routes to your units. Right after you cross the first bridge on the map to the central area, there's a bit of an open area and then a few mountains between which you can position your tankier units. It takes like 5-6 units just acting as walls to block off all the enemy routes, but if you do so you'll end up cutting off huge groups of enemies from reaching you and then you can pick them off slowly with your long range units.

Since you know the wyvern riders spawn near Merlinus you can leave 2-3 units by there to get them right as they spawn before they can become a problem. Either that, or you can group up your units around the middle of the map to take them on all at once, but IMO it's hard to cover your squishier units that way cause of their high movement and the many mountains on the map which they can fly over but you can't.

I did it, mostly by keeping everyone together and letting them throw units at me

I plonked Sain on a fort and they must have thrown 20 units at him, but they were unable to damage him faster than the fort could heal him, so he did about 1/3 of the level by himself (He's now level 20 and he needed all new weapons because this level blew though all his)

The boss was a nightmare but I managed to kill him without anyone dying, and I recruited the dragon rider lady too

The next level is the trial where I can only bring 5 units. I have a feeling that's going to be a pain so I'll give it a rest for today and try that later on. I'm going to leave Sain behind since he's max level now and won't be able to get any stronger. I wish I could get more healing items for Pent, he has none left and I never seem to get to shops in time

Jan 7, 2018
Is Shadow Dragon as bad as people say and if so is New Mystery of the Emblem good enough to play Shadow Dragon anyway? I kind of like the idea of seeing Marth in a game other than Smash Bros.
Shadow Dragon is one of my favorite fire emblem games.
If your main focus is characters, though, you might not enjoy it, since there are no support conversations and not much characterization, other than Marth and a few others. Still, I definitely recommend trying it.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017

If you got past Chapter 27 then everything after this should be a breeze. There is a slight difficulty spike in the final chapter, but it's to be expected. But if you leveled up Hector enough, then the final boss shouldn't give you much trouble. Sain can cover the left or right half of the map of the final chapter by himself as long as you have a healer, and the rest of your units can cover the second half.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you got past Chapter 27 then everything after this should be a breeze. There is a slight difficulty spike in the final chapter, but it's to be expected. But if you leveled up Hector enough, then the final boss shouldn't give you much trouble. Sain can cover the left or right half of the map of the final chapter by himself as long as you have a healer, and the rest of your units can cover the second half.

Haha I don't have a healer, none of mine are even close to level 10

I've been winging it without one until I got Pent, then he did that role, now he's all out of healing items

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Never used the old man against the final boss lol. Always seemed weaker than my regular units when fighting against the boss and the enemies in the previous map.
In all my playthrough I always had either Canas or Hector knocking the final boss out, they always did the job so I never bothered to use old man against it.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I beat Eliwoods trial, which wasn't too hard expect for the boss, who was able to one shot everyone. I got around that by luring him off the throne and then having Eliwood gallop up to it before the boss could double back

I had a quick go at the next mission but immediately lost two units so quit. I'll try again later. I think I'll try and replicate chapter 27's strategy and simply keep everyone together in the throne room

The story/cut scenes just after the trial were really good, pretty heavy stuff for a first party Nintendo game

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I beat Eliwoods trial, which wasn't too hard expect for the boss, who was able to one shot everyone. I got around that by luring him off the throne and then having Eliwood gallop up to it before the boss could double back

I had a quick go at the next mission but immediately lost two units so quit. I'll try again later. I think I'll try and replicate chapter 27's strategy and simply keep everyone together in the throne room

The story/cut scenes just after the trial were really good, pretty heavy stuff for a first party Nintendo game
Fire Emblem 7's story is rather simple, but its execution is great. As far as I'm concerned, FE7 has the best story of the franchise along with 4 (Genealogy of the Holy War) and 9 (Path of Radiance; Radiant Dawn is... OK, I guess? Some will like it, some won't, but it was rather satisfying).

Careful with your units. You are reaching the end of the game, you will want to keep your strongest ones for the last chapters.

That defense mission you're in isn't that hard, but you will want to reduce the enemy's numbers, otherwise you will get overwhelmed.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
So, which difficulty mode should I start in New Mystery? Something around Conquest Hard /SD H5 is fine by me.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dear lord, how did this happen? :D haha
That is severely underleveled. It´s nothing game breaking though. It´s just that in the last couple of chapters, you´ll have to be extremely cautious to not let him get near Danger which of course means letting other units take the front and thus risking THEIR lives :P

I just found him to be a bit naff and so often kept him out of danger and thus he never levelled up

I've tried to play quite conservatively as to not lose units, but in turn this has lead to an over reliance on my stronger units and fewer risks being taken with those less likely to survive more than one encounter

The few times I have taken risks have often ended up in losing units due to things I wasn't able to see/anticipate (enemies from fog, enemies spawning at the side of the map) which lead to restarts

After losing 25mins of progress because I decided to give Eliwood a shot at some action only for him to miss and get wiped to 5hp just so the enemy can finish him off in the next turn was always frustrating

I ended up leaving him to defend the tent quite often because he was slow to move across the map anyway and would always get targeted when standing by stronger units as the AI seemed to always pick off the weaker units first

I think I will play the GBA sequel at some point as I've had a good time, but I think I will play that a little more aggressively, as I can see these final few chapters of FE7 being an uphill battle due to the way I've played so far.

Eliwood and Lyn are a lot better now they have levelled up, they can eat a hit or two now and can take down a lot of enemies in a single turn. I still have Sain at max level, Marcus right behind him, Isadora has started to become a powerhouse, as has Lowen, and Hawkeye is a monster. Pent is pretty great too and Louise is the first decent archer I've come across. Hector has only gone from strength to strength since levelling up too. I'm hoping that's enough to get me over the finish line

CiNozzo

Oct 31, 2017
Hi guys, I need some informations.

My first FE game was Awakening and I fell in love with the game. Since then I played Fates (3 routes) and Echoes. I liked them all and I was thinking to move to the GBA and then the DS games.

In term of story, should I do FE6 then FE7 or FE7 then FE6 ? Also, since I beat all 3DS games on hard, what difficulty should I choose ?

And at last, what gameplay mechanics are in FE6/7 that aren't on the 3DS games.
I saw that you could carry a unit if you were on horse or pegasus. What happens if the unit gets killed ? Does the one who is carried also dies or does he pop at the same place of the fallen unit. Are there other mechanics that didn't get to the 3DS titles ?

Nov 1, 2017
Update on Echoes: The rest of the game was a breeze but now I'm at the final boss and I'm completely lost. The level itself was challenging (Jedah was tricky) but not that hard.
I just don't get how you are supposed to kill Duma himself. I get him down to just under 50HP and he starts negating every single attack. Sometimes (like every third round) one or two attacks get through but he heals that in the next turn. On top of that he one-shots everyone including Alm with about 70% accuracy.

I feel like I'm missing something lol
I watched a few walkthroughs and Alm and Celica always kill him like its nothing. Are they all playing on easy? Am I just completely underleveled? My units all are at around 130 power and as I said, the last few chapters felt really easy. Can I even turn back and grind?

Last edited:

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Update on Echoes: The rest of the game was a breeze but now I'm at the final boss and I'm completely lost. The level itself was challenging (Jedah was tricky) but not that hard.
I just don't get how you are supposed to kill Duma himself. I get him down to just under 50HP and he starts negating every single attack. Sometimes (like every third round) one or two attacks get through but he heals that in the next turn. On top of that he one-shots everyone including Alm with about 70% accuracy.

I feel like I'm missing something lol
I watched a few walkthroughs and Alm and Celica always kill him like its nothing. Are they all playing on easy? Am I just completely underleveled? My units all are at around 130 power and as I said, the last few chapters felt really easy. Can I even turn back and grind?

Once he reaches 50% HP or so he becomes immune to all attacks except for Alm equipped with Falchion (and Nosferatu, for reasons).

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
it's 52 HP and below btw, not 50% (man that would suck using Alm Falchion only from 91/100 HP and down)

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just beat chapter 29 and 29x, both were easy

The first I made a b-line for the boss and smashed him, no more reinforcements, the rest were easily picked off

The next chapter was cool, I leveled a few more characters up in the area and acquired a ton of new weapons

Saw the map and number of enemies of chapter 30 and decided that was enough for today

I'm so close but I have a feeling these final two chapters are going to be insane

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Chapter 30 is very similiar to 27 - a very large map with many different routes filled with lots of enemies that come at you from every possible angle. Just play "safe" as in: don´t get impatient, trying to advance too far too fast. Take your time, you´re not doing a 5*HHM-Run.

I'm what feels like 2 hours into chapter 30 and really frustrated

Started really well, wiped the whole map and the music changed to triumphant, so I assembled all my units in front of the boss to mount an offensive. I must have had 10 turns with no reinforcements showing up. Then out of no where I get about 10 turns of non stop reinforcements with no sign they'll ever stop, are they infinite? I have units pinned down in forests surrounded by 10 archers, Dorcas and Nils are dead

Is there a trick to stopping this onslaught? I must have killed 100 units by now and they keep coming

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Started really well, wiped the whole map and the music changed to triumphant, so I assembled all my units in front of the boss to mount an offensive. I must have had 10 turns with no reinforcements showing up. Then out of no where I get about 10 turns of non stop reinforcements with no sign they'll ever stop, are they infinite? I have units pinned down in forests surrounded by 10 archers, Dorcas and Nils are dead

Is there a trick to stopping this onslaught? I must have killed 100 units by now and they keep coming
Can you not get to Limstella from there?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

Looking up the reinforcements for that map, it seems there are no reinforcements after turn 15 until turn 25, after which there'll be reinforcements until turn 35. Seems like reinforcements designed make to you hurry up and just kill the boss rather than wait around for whatever reason. If you already have most of your units in range of the boss and you start seeing reinforcements that late into a map that's generally a sign you should just get it over with. On that map in particular it's pretty easy to position one unit on either bridge to block off enemies and then have the rest of your units focus on the boss. Unless the map objective is rout you don't need to go out of your way to kill every single enemy.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
When you're dealing with enemy reinforcements behind you, protect your rear.

If the reinforcements come from a fortress or stairs you can plug it up in advance. Even if you only cover a few, you can still cut down reinforcements.

Oct 25, 2017
Played Rev 13 on Fates just now.

I was gutless and avoided Ryoma. He doubled my toughest units and his avoid was insane.

I did whittle Xander down and got him with Takumi.

So many units I want to use. My Conquest playthrough I had such a lopsided team and I struggled at the end. This time I want to be more balanced.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can you not get to Limstella from there?

I can, but I have no idea how she can be killed without half my units dying, even my strongest units seem to take 30-40% damage from her, and half the time they don't even connect with their hits, and my ranged units do "No Damage" so I can't even hit her several times in a single turn

Looking up the reinforcements for that map, it seems there are no reinforcements after turn 15 until turn 25, after which there'll be reinforcements until turn 35. Seems like reinforcements designed make to you hurry up and just kill the boss rather than wait around for whatever reason. If you already have most of your units in range of the boss and you start seeing reinforcements that late into a map that's generally a sign you should just get it over with. On that map in particular it's pretty easy to position one unit on either bridge to block off enemies and then have the rest of your units focus on the boss. Unless the map objective is rout you don't need to go out of your way to kill every single enemy.

Following on from my comment above, my plan was to kill everything else and then move my base camp to the boss so I can try different loadouts on the boss since nothing I have seems to work and I don't want to lose any of my strong units before the final level

I also worry I might be underlevelled so I was planning to kill all the reinforcements to farm exp, but they seem never ending and i'm close to losing a few units. If there are 10 waves I must be over half way though so as long as they do stop soon I should be able to keep almost everyone alive and then use the forts to heal, before rounding in the boss again

Because I was unprepared for the 2nd wave I was out of position and so have a few key units pinned down. Now I know they return and where they return from I'm sure I'll be able to restart the chapter if I need to and get back into a position where I have no losses and all enemies wiped, but I'd lose two hours of progress which is annoying, and I could do all that and still lose half my best units to the boss

Is the final level also this hard?

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Final Chapter is pretty brutal for newcomers.

First time I played this game, I couldn't beat it. You're fighting elites the whole way through.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Final Chapter is pretty brutal for newcomers.

First time I played this game, I couldn't beat it. You're fighting elites the whole way through.

.... Unfortunately it is, yeah. But don´t let that discourage you.

I'll do my best, I've come so far I'll be so annoyed if this is as far as I can go

That said I feel like it's only started to get really hard since chapter 27, the first 26 chapters were pretty straightforward

My entire playthough I've been concerned that I'd make my save unwinnable but at the same time I've tried not to look things up, so I guess we'll see

I hear FE8 is harder as well

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I've played FE6-10 and 8 is the easiest of the bunch IMO. Though I also did Eirika's route and I've heard Ephraim's is harder.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll do my best, I've come so far I'll be so annoyed if this is as far as I can go

That said I feel like it's only started to get really hard since chapter 27, the first 26 chapters were pretty straightforward

My entire playthough I've been concerned that I'd make my save unwinnable but at the same time I've tried not to look things up, so I guess we'll see

Nope, FE8 is probably the easiest game in the series. There is unlimited grinding and some of your units are insanely powerful (Seth especially)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

As others have pointed out, FE8 is actually quite easy, and made even more so by the ability to grind.

Unfortunately, a lot of the difficulties you've run into seem to have come about by relying too much on certain units, and allowing other units to fall behind and become very underleveled. That's why I originally recommended you temper your usage of prepromotes and not rely on them overmuch in the beginning, because without a more well-rounded team, new players can seriously struggle—something a lot of advanced players forget, but we're seeing with your playthrough!

The final map shouldn't be as difficult as Chapter 30, because of something OP you gain access to for that chapter. As long as you're careful and methodical in how you approach it, you'll be fine because of that. It should be possible to complete it.

P.S. For Chapter 30, have you been recruiting Renault in the northwestern ruin? He'll be very helpful, especially if you've not trained any healers.