• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
Small update on my Echoes playthrough. Promoting all my units has definitely helped and the game became a lot more enjoyable, although the mechanic itself is still bullshit. Running back to the last temple is always annoying and the respawning enemies make matters worse.

I've started act 4 now and suddenly the difficulty spiked again. I just can't beat Alm's first mission. I guess I'll start grinding again.

Btw., what is up with Fire Emblem games adding a lot of underleveled characters halfway through the game?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the late underleveled characters/characters of dubious growth/stats mid game are the games way of trying to throw a lifeline to a playthrough of many deaths but while not just handing you great units on a silver platter.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the late underleveled characters/characters of dubious growth/stats mid game are the games way of trying to throw a lifeline to a playthrough of many deaths but while not just handing you great units on a silver platter.

This is it. They have to design the games around people who let units die, so new recruits are frequently given to you, even if they're statistically not ideal. (That said, you should use Tatiana when you get her. She gets great unique spells.)

I'm not really expecting mature gay characters and mature gay relationships from japanese games. I wish we could have more, but their vision of gay people isn't that great to begin with. They do seem to tolerate more female gay characters (and even then, it's often cases of very close friendship or implied love at best, complete with unrequited feelings) than male ones, the latter being relegated to distasteful stereotypes more often than not.
I guess that, at least, female gay characters have some representation in Japan, whereas in the West you would be hard-pressed to find any lesbian character, implied or not, period (although we did get Undyne and Alphys from Undertale recently).

Leon is a step in the right direction, so I'm slightly optimistic about their LGBT portrayals improving.

If it's a choice between what we got in Fates and the dubious implications of pre-3DS, I'll take the latter, though, meager and unsatisfying as it is.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Leon was fine. Now, give me a LGBT character who actually has plot relevance and isn't treated as a joke or a disturbing stereotype, and I'll consider progress is made.

Although, even though I'm jaded, I do realize that there are decent portrayals here and there, such as Lala Escargot from Persona 5 (although the very same game give us stereotypical camp gay dudes lusting after minors, and one joke at the expense of the MC and Yosuke during a Confidant event).

Anyhow, I guess we got pretty side-tracked here, and it may be a better idea to move the discussion to the LGBT thread in the community forum (I'm fine with either options).

I just hope we won't get another Nowi in the next Fire Emblem game. I have no tolerance for this kind of character (ie. prepubescent looking girl which can be romanced and everything that entails).

Last edited:

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Radiant Dawn. There's a lot I really like about the game and a bunch which I'm pretty mixed on.

Overall I'd say the map design and difficulty is much better than Path of Radiance, especially the defense maps which were pretty underwhelming in PoR. Ellincia's Gambit was one of my favorite maps for example.

The way you constantly switch between teams is probably annoying for some people but I liked how it gave you an excuse to use a majority of the characters. In every other FE game I end up only getting any real use out of like 20 characters, max, across the entire game, but in RD almost the entire cast sees use at some point. It also makes the decision of who to bring into the tower that much more impactful, since there are a lot more units than normal which have contributed meaningfully up to that point.

On the flipside, it creates a problem with some units getting screwed over due to really poor availability. The worst offender of this is Vika, who comes in at a decent level early on, then vanishes until right near the end of the game at a point where she's super underleveled. I don't even get why they remove Tormod's crew from the story for so long, wouldn't it make more sense for them to be fighting on the side of the Laguz Alliance from the start of part 3?

There's also the problem of not all teams being equal. It's becomes clear pretty quickly that the Greil Mercs easily outclass the Dawn Brigade and Crimean Knights, and the Dawn Brigade maps in part 3 only emphasize this fact. Suddenly you're back to using shitty unpromoted units but the enemy units are seemingly just as powerful as those you fight with Ike's team. It's really telling that the map in which you play as Ike fighting Micaiah's squad is pretty easy (save for the presence of the Black Knight) but the reverse situation later on is quite difficult. Actually killing Ike seems near impossible without going out of your way to unequip Ragnell beforehand.

By part 4 the only (non-mandatory) dawn brigade member I was using was Jill, and she doesn't really count anyway since she's from the previous game. Micaiah and Sothe aren't even all that good; Micaiah is about as durable as a piece of paper and gets doubled by everything, and Sothe is useful in part 1 but falls off pretty hard in the latter half of the game. It doesn't help that the dawn brigade is made up of a bunch of non-characters. The other teams don't really get much time to highlight the individual characters either, especially without any real support conversations, but they have the previous game to fall back on so the dawn brigade stands out as being really boring, save for Micaiah and Sothe. If the non-Greil Merc teams were better as units and more likable I think the whole multiple teams thing would've been more effective, especially in part 4 where you need to make big choices about who goes on what team and who enters the tower.

About the story, I thought it was one of the more interesting fire emblem stories up until part 4 where things just kind of fall apart. The blood pact plot device is pretty dumb but not enough to ruin things like part 4 does. At that point there's really no story explanation for anything going on other than "but god." And yet this god which can seemingly turn anyone to stone, revive the dead (?), and turn anyone into your enemy for some reason can't touch any of your units. What a convenient coincidence! A plot about gods just becomes kinda stupid when sometimes their powers are ridiculous bullshit and other times they're limited. Before part 4 though, the way they tell the story from multiple perspectives is cool and makes the Dawn Brigade vs Greil Merc chapters pretty exciting.

Nitpicky, but I'm also mixed on the slight change in art style. Some characters like Ranulf and Ellincia look pretty much the same or just touched up from their PoR appearance, but some characters like Soren just look off, and others like Jill and Sothe look completely different. I prefer Ike's PoR design too.

I feel like I'm mostly negative here but I did really enjoy the game, and I probably will replay on Hard eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting back into Revelation so I can finish it and move on to something else.

I hate the child units. I hate having to plan out pairings so that I can get access to these child maps in a timely fashion so if I choose to I can use them. It just bogs down the game. It especially sucked on Conquest because getting these maps gives some much needed EXP at times. It almost feels required even if I'm not really going to use any of them. I feel like it just breaks up the flow of the game big time. I got bogged down in Birthright with this. I got bogged down in Conquest with this. It is going to be even worse now because I will have the full cast at my disposal. I don't think I ever struggled this bad in Awakening. I either went with what was natural or just got every child unit with Galeforce I could. I don't even care about min/maxing. I just don't want to miss out on a unit since this is Revelation and I have access to both Nohr and Hoshido units.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting back into Revelation so I can finish it and move on to something else.

I hate the child units. I hate having to plan out pairings so that I can get access to these child maps in a timely fashion so if I choose to I can use them. It just bogs down the game. It especially sucked on Conquest because getting these maps gives some much needed EXP at times. It almost feels required even if I'm not really going to use any of them. I feel like it just breaks up the flow of the game big time. I got bogged down in Birthright with this. I got bogged down in Conquest with this. It is going to be even worse now because I will have the full cast at my disposal. I don't think I ever struggled this bad in Awakening. I either went with what was natural or just got every child unit with Galeforce I could. I don't even care about min/maxing. I just don't want to miss out on a unit since this is Revelation and I have access to both Nohr and Hoshido units.
Are you me? I did this yesterday in Revelation. It was made slightly easier for me by the fact that I wasn't min maxing. My focus was on getting all the Revelation exclusive pairings which limits the number of combinations. Grinded all the supports yesterday and will do the paralogues next. They are kind of a slog, especially the Conquest kids because I've done those all quite recently as they were helpful for grinding a few levels in that hellish route.

It does kill the pacing for sure, but you can definitely ignore the kids. The plot doesn't suffer without them (probably improves tbh). I just want my Revelation run to be 'complete' which is why I getting them all. 20 paralogues to go.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
FE7 update:

I beat a few more chapters, I'm now up to chapter 23 I think

Another loss to report, Oswin, who was great but so slow he rarely saw combat by the end. He was cut down by one of the desert levels bosses

I recruited Hawkeye but failed to speak to Pent in time because he killed everyone on the map before I could get Eliwood in range. I think in the cutscene after the fight he said he'd join us but I couldn't find him in the menu when I was selecting units for the next battle

If the game is going to give me great units consistently when maybe I'm making the game harder on myself by keeping the characters from the first half of the game in action/alive?

I'm entering the final third now as I think someone said before there are 31 chapters? I hope I get a chance to level up one of the main 3 characters soon

The level before the desert, where you defend Nils was laughably easy. The objective was to defend Nils for 11 turns and I think Sain one shotted the boss on the 3rd turn and that ended the mission

How hard does the end game get?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
FE7 update:

I beat a few more chapters, I'm now up to chapter 23 I think

Another loss to report, Oswin, who was great but so slow he rarely saw combat by the end. He was cut down by one of the desert levels bosses

I recruited Hawkeye but failed to speak to Pent in time because he killed everyone on the map before I could get Eliwood in range. I think in the cutscene after the fight he said he'd join us but I couldn't find him in the menu when I was selecting units for the next battle

If the game is going to give me great units consistently when maybe I'm making the game harder on myself by keeping the characters from the first half of the game in action/alive?

I'm entering the final third now as I think someone said before there are 31 chapters? I hope I get a chance to level up one of the main 3 characters soon

The level before the desert, where you defend Nils was laughably easy. The objective was to defend Nils for 11 turns and I think Sain one shotted the boss on the 3rd turn and that ended the mission

How hard does the end game get?

You don't have to speak to Pent to recruit him; he'll automatically join with his wife in Chapter 24. Cherish him. He's an overpowered hunk.

Pent and his wife are powerful units (her mostly because she supports him, so keep them within a few tiles of each other) in Eliwood Normal Mode, so between them, Hawkeye, and the future recruitable prepromotes, you shouldn't have any issues with endgame. Pent comes with A-ranked Staves, so he can even double as a healer while doling out death.

If Pent or Louise ever die, they'll both leave your party, so do your best to ensure that doesn't happen.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You don't have to speak to Pent to recruit him; he'll automatically join with his wife in Chapter 24. Cherish him. He's an overpowered hunk.

Pent and his wife are powerful units (her mostly because she supports him, so keep them within a few tiles of each other) in Eliwood Normal Mode, so between them, Hawkeye, and the future recruitable prepromotes, you shouldn't have any issues with endgame. Pent comes with A-ranked Staves, so he can even double as a healer while doling out death.

If Pent or Louise ever die, they'll both leave your party, so do your best to ensure that doesn't happen.

Thanks I'll remember that

I always restart a level if anyone in my A team dies, which is currently Marcus, Sain, Lowen, Dorcas and Hector

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Ellincia's Gambit was one of my favorite maps for example.
It's probably the best map in the entire franchise. A lot of people love it and it's why they made a DLC version in Fates for this map.

Nitpicky, but I'm also mixed on the slight change in art style. Some characters like Ranulf and Ellincia look pretty much the same or just touched up from their PoR appearance, but some characters like Soren just look off, and others like Jill and Sothe look completely different. I prefer Ike's PoR design too.
While the illustrations were drawn by Kita for both games, the face sprites were done by different people and they are what you see all the time. Though I think characters like Jill and Sothe were supposed to look very different because those two were very young in PoR (Jill is the same age as Mist iirc) and therefore matured a bit (Sothe maybe a bit too much haha)..

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
While the illustrations were drawn by Kita for both games, the face sprites were done by different people and they are what you see all the time. Though I think characters like Jill and Sothe were supposed to look very different because those two were very young in PoR (Jill is the same age as Mist iirc) and therefore matured a bit (Sothe maybe a bit too much haha)..

That's what I thought too, but even amongst the younger characters that isn't consistent. Tormod was a similar age to Sothe in PoR and yet in RD he's still pretty distinctly Tormod, unlike Sothe who could be easily be mistaken for a new character.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you me? I did this yesterday in Revelation. It was made slightly easier for me by the fact that I wasn't min maxing. My focus was on getting all the Revelation exclusive pairings which limits the number of combinations. Grinded all the supports yesterday and will do the paralogues next. They are kind of a slog, especially the Conquest kids because I've done those all quite recently as they were helpful for grinding a few levels in that hellish route.

It does kill the pacing for sure, but you can definitely ignore the kids. The plot doesn't suffer without them (probably improves tbh). I just want my Revelation run to be 'complete' which is why I getting them all. 20 paralogues to go.

I just don't want to miss out on anyone. I'm probably not going to use any of them or many of them. I just want as many units as I can get to have a 'complete' run of sorts.

I did a great job of spacing out my playthroughs so the supports and paralogues will seem somewhat new.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Regarding FE7, is Hector's campaign considered a post game thing or like new game plus, or is it a part of the main game (if that makes sense)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding FE7, is Hector's campaign considered a post game thing or like new game plus, or is it a part of the main game (if that makes sense)

It's basically a harder mode with some new chapters, new enemy arrangements, etc. Takes place from Hector's PoV, so the opening chapter is completely different, and you get some more story developments for Hector.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
There are also two characters that can only be recruited in Hector's story. I can't recall if anybody from Eliwood's story can't be recruited in Hector's story.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity: Do we think that Fire Emblem Switch will release in 2018? Does it have any chance at all releasing? I read the thread about peoples's guaranteed 2018 purchases and lots of posts mention it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity: Do we think that Fire Emblem Switch will release in 2018? Does it have any chance at all releasing? I read the thread about peoples's guaranteed 2018 purchases and lots of posts mention it.
It was first mentioned last year as a 2018 release and was reconfirmed as 2018 in the last financial report from the ending of the year, which is why most people expect it for 2018. The complete lack of info is odd though.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aha... Thanks for the info. The game is on my radar. I'm not in a hurry for it to release, though. I still need to play Fates: Conquest and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

A better comparison might be a hard mode (though it also has its own hard mode), or a second quest like Zelda. There are a few exclusive maps/characters, and seeing the story from Hector's perspective does change the storytelling somewhat, but for the most part its the same game, same maps, just remixed enemy types and placement.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for FE Switch. Like many, I hope for gameplay similar to Fates, plot up to Path of Radiance standards and Echoes presentation. I could take or leave voice acting. Hopefully it will be shown at E3 and released later this year worldwide (high hopes I know).

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Up to chapter 26 in FE7 now

Louise and Pent are awesome, Sain is still my MVP, though Hawkeye came out of nowhere to challenge him, and I've leveled Dorcas up, who is now a mini Hawkeye

Lost one more unit but I can't even remember his name, Barte? He served me well but the enemies out leveled him and the poor bastard took one hit too many

I still don't have any of my Lords leveled up. Eliwood was given an item to get him to level up I think, but as he was level 9 I couldn't use it. He's level 10 now but I still can't use it for some reason. I got another item that says can be used to level up Lords but I gave it to Lyn, who is level 12 and she can't use it. I should try and see if Hector can use it, but I wish the game was clearer on how that works

I'm on Chapter 26/31 and I just want to level them up ASAP

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Louise and Pent are awesome, Sain is still my MVP, though Hawkeye came out of nowhere to challenge him, and I've leveled Dorcas up, who is now a mini Hawkeye

Lost one more unit but I can't even remember his name, Barte? He served me well but the enemies out leveled him and the poor bastard took one hit too many

I still don't have any of my Lords leveled up. Eliwood was given an item to get him to level up I think, but as he was level 9 I couldn't use it. He's level 10 now but I still can't use it for some reason. I got another item that says can be used to level up Lords but I gave it to Lyn, who is level 12 and she can't use it. I should try and see if Hector can use it, but I wish the game was clearer on how that works

Your path's main lord is promoted in-story (so Eliwood in your case, and Hector if you do Hector's mode). Lyn and your other lord should be able to use the Heaven Seals at level 10+... I'm not sure why your level 12 Lyn wouldn't be able to. Double check that you were trying a Heaven Seal on her?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

The heaven seal should be able to rank up Lyn and Hector if they're level 10+. Double check you weren't using an earth seal or something (can promote everyone except lords).

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The heaven seal should be able to rank up Lyn and Hector if they're level 10+. Double check you weren't using an earth seal or something (can promote everyone except lords).

I will double check but I'm sure it is a heaven seal as I'm sure the item description said it's used to level up lords over level 10, but maybe I'm wrong

Another question, as I don't own a 3DS, what are the chances we see the 3DS games in a Switch HD collection at some point?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I will double check but I'm sure it is a heaven seal as I'm sure the item description said it's used to level up lords over level 10, but maybe I'm wrong

Another question, as I don't own a 3DS, what are the chances we see the 3DS games in a Switch HD collection at some point?

Unlikely. They would have to redesign the games to an extent because they utilized both 3DS screens.

You could buy a 2DS for very cheap (~$80 pre-sale/discount), and I don't think you would regret it; its library is vast.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Unlikely. They would have to redesign the games to an extent because they utilized both 3DS screens.
The 2nd screen was just for menus though, like checking character stats. There was never gameplay involving both. That easily could be reconfigured to fit one screen.

I don't think they'll do it for another reason though - the 3d models are very simple (open mouths are just textures, even) and that would become extremely obvious in the Switch's screen. They also have a lot of content compared to past titles, especially when you add the DLC, and they'll surely want to push people to whatever is the new FE, not cheaper rereleases of old games.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The 2nd screen was just for menus though, like checking character stats. There was never gameplay involving both. That easily could be reconfigured to fit one screen.

I don't think they'll do it for another reason though - the 3d models are very simple (open mouths are just textures, even) and that would become extremely obvious in the Switch's screen. They also have a lot of content compared to past titles, especially when you add the DLC, and they'll surely want to push people to whatever is the new FE, not cheaper rereleases of old games.

Right, that's just the first reason that springs to mind for most DS-3DS era titles people request ports of. They'd require at least a little more development time than ports of other systems.

Another reason would be that the 3DS is still a relatively healthy platform, and they wouldn't want to cannibalize their market for hardware sales while it's profitable.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

The seals are tailor made. Dialogue makes that clear.

Eliwood can't use it for story reasons.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
In the past couple months I have completed my first Fire Emblem games, Binding Blade, Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones, so that is the GBA trilogy complete! I ended up liking Sacred Stones the most, the characters felt more realized and the presentation was greatly improved, it was quite a bit easier though. I think my favourite characters so far are L'Arachel and Hector. Where should I go with the series from here? Genealogy of the Holy War? Path of Radiance? Shadow Dragon?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
In the past couple months I have completed my first Fire Emblem games, Binding Blade, Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones, so that is the GBA trilogy complete! I ended up liking Sacred Stones the most, the characters felt more realized and the presentation was greatly improved, it was quite a bit easier though. I think my favourite characters so far are L'Arachel and Hector. Where should I go with the series from here? Genealogy of the Holy War? Path of Radiance? Shadow Dragon?

...Hmm. That's a good question. You have a few paths available: Path of Radiance (GC) -> Radiant Dawn (Wii); Awakening/Fates/Echoes (3DS standalone titles); Shadow Dragon (DS) -> New Mystery of the Emblem (DS fan translation); or Genealogy/Thracia (fan translation).

Can't go too wrong whichever you choose. If you enjoyed the world map of Sacred Stones, I'd recommend Echoes. It's a fun departure from mechanical norms (no weapon triangle), with an emphasis on RPG mechanics: world map, dungeon exploration, towns, side-quests.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Is Shadow Dragon as bad as people say and if so is New Mystery of the Emblem good enough to play Shadow Dragon anyway? I kind of like the idea of seeing Marth in a game other than Smash Bros.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Well, you can judge the DS games' art style for yourself—that's the most frequent criticism I see, but I find them tolerable. SD does lock its gaiden maps behind unit death counts, which you shouldn't worry about unless you really want to see them and their alternative recruitable characters.

New Mystery is an improvement over Shadow Dragon in virtually every way. It was actually the first Fire Emblem to feature Casual Mode (where units don't permanently die) and a playable avatar, but gets little credit due to not being localized. It's a great game, and can be played without Shadow Dragon if it's unappealing to you.

The DS games are more simplistic than the GBA games mechanically, being remakes of FE1/3, but they can be as easy or difficult as you like depending on the mode you select.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is Shadow Dragon as bad as people say and if so is New Mystery of the Emblem good enough to play Shadow Dragon anyway? I kind of like the idea of seeing Marth in a game other than Smash Bros.
Shadow Dragon is fine, even if the original's age does show at times and the animation is hideous. Its biggest crimes are being a more simplistic entry coming after Radiant Dawn and how it handled the newly added Gaiden chapters (you have to go throughout much of the game with only 15 characters to see most of them, plus you have to not get Tiki or the Falchion for a character who isn't as good or available for as long as Tiki. Put simply, they're interesting additions that fall short in execution) and how closely it sticks to the original's script. The newly added Prologue chapter is a fine addition that helps flesh out Marth's character, as are the small conversations that take place in certain chapters between minor characters like Ogma and Caeda. It's not as good as its sequel but it is the definitive way to play Marth's first outing.

Also, the soundtrack has some fantastic renditions of classic tunes, including some that were in the superior sequel:

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! I am leaning toward just giving Shadow Dragon a shot then. I think I might just have to ignore those Gaiden chapters.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to come back to Shadow Dragon and play it on one of the harder modes. It was one of my first FE games back in like 2010, and I only gave it one playthrough on normal mode - thought it was decent enough but definitely my least favorite FE up to that point. I wonder if playing on H4 or H5 would bring out the best in the game, even if it's not at the level of New Mystery on maniac mode.

(I'll also say that if you really want to play a game with Marth and you really aren't sure about playing Shadow Dragon, you can't go wrong with New Mystery of the Emblem. It is easily one of the strongest games in the series; definite top three material.)

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

It was an earth seal, I'm an idiot. I ended up getting two heaven seals just now and so I used them on Hector and Lyn since apparently Eliwood levels up in the story

I'm on chapter 27 now, where you need to fight a million enemies. I hate that the "defeat all enemies" levels have forts that add more enemies. Do these have a set limit or enemies they can spawn or do you just need to get a move on or park units on all the forts to stop this from happening?

It's annoying the game tells you how many enemies you have left, you kill 5 in one turn, then it gives them another 3 units

Sain is close to level 20 so he's going to start eating exp I could be giving to others soon

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Rout maps will usually have set reinforcements which spawn either on certain turns or when you pass through certain areas of the map. If you block their spawn zones (such as forts) you can stop them from showing up altogether, but that's not always possible since sometimes they'll just come from the side of the map.