• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yep. It was just titled "Fire Emblem" in the West, because it was the first localized game in the series.

The first GBA game is actually Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, which was never localized. Blazing Sword was a prequel to it, but they both have standalone plots. It's the one that features Roy, of Smash Bros fame.

Ah, cool

I'm gonna start the Blazing Sword tonight or tomorrow and then I'll go from there

I'll post some impressions in here after I'm a few hours in

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm planning to buy FE Echoes when I get paid thanks to the Best Buy sale, then I scroll down after I searched for it and see the season pass is $44.99.

Uhhh... how worthwhile IS that DLC? Or is it as my initial google search implied and mainly good for steam rolling the game with cool weapons like laser bows?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm planning to buy FE Echoes when I get paid thanks to the Best Buy sale, then I scroll down after I searched for it and see the season pass is $44.99.

Uhhh... how worthwhile IS that DLC? Or is it as my initial google search implied and mainly good for steam rolling the game with cool weapons like laser bows?

Rise of the Deliverance is the only story-relevant and worthwhile portion of the DLC, and it's $13. Basically acts as a prologue to various characters' storylines prior to meeting the MC.

I'd probably recommend playing it after Chapter 1, if you want it. Not necessary by any means, but a fun four maps.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Path of Radiance for the first time recently and I wanted to ask what people think of the bonus exp system. I went through the game on Hard without ever using it cause I was worried it'd make the game too easy. In the end I never really felt like I was crippling myself and I feel I may have been right in my initial assumption cause I had 42 levels worth of bonus exp leftover. I can't imagine there'd be any difficulty whatsoever if my units got a collective 42 level boost. Though it may have lead to my Ike being slightly underleveled--when I got to the final chapter Ashnard ORKO'd my Ike and I had to grab the speedwing off of Bryce just to prevent him from doubling me. Made for a fun challenge to figure out how to get Ike the speedwing before Ashnard auto-aggro'd.

Also, gonna start Radiant Dawn soon. Should I go Normal or Hard on a first playthrough? I know Hard is actually maniac and that it has some weird changes like no clicking on enemies to see their aggro range. I want the challenge of hard but I'm wondering if people consider the secondary changes to be more obnoxious than difficult.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Path of Radiance for the first time recently and I wanted to ask what people think of the bonus exp system. I went through the game on Hard without ever using it cause I was worried it'd make the game too easy. In the end I never really felt like I was crippling myself and I feel I may have been right in my initial assumption cause I had 42 levels worth of bonus exp leftover. I can't imagine there'd be any difficulty whatsoever if my units got a collective 42 level boost. Though it may have lead to my Ike being slightly underleveled--when I got to the final chapter Ashnard ORKO'd my Ike and I had to grab the speedwing off of Bryce just to prevent him from doubling me. Made for a fun challenge to figure out how to get Ike the speedwing before Ashnard auto-aggro'd.

Also, gonna start Radiant Dawn soon. Should I go Normal or Hard on a first playthrough? I know Hard is actually maniac and that it has some weird changes like no clicking on enemies to see their aggro range. I want the challenge of hard but I'm wondering if people consider the secondary changes to be more obnoxious than difficult.
Normal definitely. Hard made changes that was more annoying than legitimately making things harder. Normal is still a lot of challenge even for veteren of the series.

RD is my favorite FE game so far.

Oct 25, 2017
I found Normal a bit dull when I last played through RD and didn't have Hard unlocked. The early chapters with more interesting maps were too easy and the routfest chapters later were just boring. I'd probably just do Hard if you feel up for it.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
BEXP is....too easily exploitable, it's a) easily rigged b) allows you to massively overlevel someone

maybe if you took RD's 3 stats per level system and put it in a game where stat caps generally aren't reached (which to be fair is most games that aren't RD), then put a level cap on it too it would work so you could actually catch up weaker units

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Stick to Normal; until you get a feel for which characters to invest your experience into (not just bonus experience since it's less useful this time around; you're only able to choose 10 units in the final chapters and forced to bring several others despite the game having the largest cast in any non-remake) or already know which ones to go with, not to mention which ones are available since someone made the boneheaded decision to lock certain characters and events behind a second playthrough and/or rely on the player having save data from Path of Radiance, you're better off not screwing yourself by evenly spreading out experience points, especially since Radiant Dawn's support system is utter garbage and there's little reason to experiment outside of getting the highest possible attack/critical hit rate bonus.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok so I played an hour of the first GBA FE last night and I'm enjoying it

I love the animations, and the game looks great on a big TV too

I think the first so many levels are a tutorial, because the game told me if anyone dies I won't be able to use them for the rest of the tutorial, and that's the only thing that stopped me from restarting because my luck was not good in my first hour

I lost Kent to the boss of the level where you break though the wall of the Church and get the sword for Lyn, and I lost the girl on the pegasus to the boss of the first level she is playable in

I charged the throne with Kent who was on 75% life but the boss's retaliation attack and his goons first move wiped him. Pegasus girl went to attack the boss of the level where she is introduced and his first attack took her from 100% to 0%, so I'm hoping I've not already made things too hard for myself

Are your key units always this fragile? I feel like I'm going to be reloading saves a lot if pretty much everyone is one attack and a bit of bad luck away from being wiped

I was going to try and play it without reloading and leaning into the permadeath mechanic, but I might reconsider that after the tutorial

Is the game quite hard overall?

stoff

Oct 27, 2017

I think the first so many levels are a tutorial, because the game told me if anyone dies I won't be able to use them for the rest of the tutorial, and that's the only thing that stopped me from restarting because my luck was not good in my first hour

I lost Kent to the boss of the level where you break though the wall of the Church and get the sword for Lyn, and I lost the girl on the pegasus to the boss of the first level she is playable in

I charged the throne with Kent who was on 75% life but the boss's retaliation attack and his goons first move wiped him. Pegasus girl went to attack the boss of the level where she is introduced and his first attack took her from 100% to 0%, so I'm hoping I've not already made things too hard for myself

Are your key units always this fragile? I feel like I'm going to be reloading saves a lot if pretty much everyone is one attack and a bit of bad luck away from being wiped

I was going to try and play it without reloading and leaning into the permadeath mechanic, but I might reconsider that after the tutorial

Some Classes will always be fragile. Pegasus Knights for example are useful for their Mobility. Reaching Villages and ferrying slower Characters around are their function, thus they will never be tanks.
The Normal Mode isn't that hard. I think that game manages to keep the Difficulty roughly equal from the early to the late game, whereas most other FE games get easier as you go along.
Whether or not you should restart is something you should decide for yourself. The game throws more than enough Characters at you to make up any losses.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some Classes will always be fragile. Pegasus Knights for example are useful for their Mobility. Reaching Villages and ferrying slower Characters around are their function, thus they will never be tanks.
The Normal Mode isn't that hard. I think that game manages to keep the Difficulty roughly equal from the early to the late game, whereas most other FE games get easier as you go along.
Whether or not you should restart is something you should decide for yourself. The game throws more than enough Characters at you to make up any losses.

I think I'll finish the tutorial first and then see how I feel

The two characters I have lost are not actually dead, as they're still in cut scenes, so if that is reset for the main game I don't mind

I just didn't want to lose so many characters that the tutorial is impossible to beat

I didn't know that's what Pegasus Knights are best used for, I assumed they were just more manoeuvrable mounted unit's who were weak to arrows. I won't engage bosses with them directly in future

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
You don't really lose anyone in the tutorial. They won't be usable for the rest of the tutorial but they'll return for the main game. It really depends if you're willing to not have them for the rest of the tutorial or not.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
So based on the recommendations, i picked Awakening up yesterday. Been enjoying it thus far. Only on chapter 7 at the moment. But i am enjoying the strategy aspect of when to move/not move your troops into battle. Im still a little fuzzy on all the numbers. But im sure that will come with time. Just as i was quitting last night i found out some weapons have durability (godamn rookies, amirite lol?)

I think i also screwed myself out of another potential character. There was a map in the south where i had to help this villager free his mom from barbarians? If he levelled up he would join, if not he stays behind? Well i had the villager a sliver away from levelling, so he ended up not coming with me. So im hoping he isn't some super badass lol.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
So based on the recommendations, i picked Awakening up yesterday. Been enjoying it thus far. Only on chapter 7 at the moment. But i am enjoying the strategy aspect of when to move/not move your troops into battle. Im still a little fuzzy on all the numbers. But im sure that will come with time. Just as i was quitting last night i found out some weapons have durability (godamn rookies, amirite lol?)

I think i also screwed myself out of another potential character. There was a map in the south where i had to help this villager free his mom from barbarians? If he levelled up he would join, if not he stays behind? Well i had the villager a sliver away from levelling, so he ended up not coming with me. So im hoping he isn't some super badass lol.

Yeah, all weapons have durability except Falchion in Awakening, so be prepared for that.

Missing Donnel isn't a huge deal. He can become incredibly strong with some training, but out of the gate he is a little weak.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice on RD difficulty guys. If RD Normal is apparently still quite difficult then I'll probably go with that first and do Hard on a replay.

BEXP is....too easily exploitable, it's a) easily rigged b) allows you to massively overlevel someone

maybe if you took RD's 3 stats per level system and put it in a game where stat caps generally aren't reached (which to be fair is most games that aren't RD), then put a level cap on it too it would work so you could actually catch up weaker units

Yeah that's how I felt too. I also didn't like how it seemed to discourage actually training your units properly and feeding exp to weaker units.

I was thinking it might be balanced if it limited you to leveling up 1 unit per chapter, similar to how the forge is restricted. That way you could still distribute a lot of exp, but it'd be so evenly split that no one would get overleveled.

Have you been paying attention to how much damage enemies deal before you attack them? You shouldn't be getting outright ohko'd if you're checking the battle window which pops up when you select an attack. Never attack if the enemy has a chance to ohko your units, unless there is a 100% chance you kill them first.

Also while it's probably technically possible to screw yourself during the tutorial, it's highly unlikely. You get a super tanky unit in the second to last chapter which can pretty much solo the final 2 chapters by himself, and before that Lyn is good enough to manage on her own if necessary.

Some units will always be fragile (such as pegasus knights, mages, archers) while others are built like walls and best used as shields for the the weaker units (such as cavaliers, knights).

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Have you been paying attention to how much damage enemies deal before you attack them? You shouldn't be getting outright ohko'd if you're checking the battle window which pops up when you select an attack. Never attack if the enemy has a chance to ohko your units, unless there is a 100% chance you kill them first.

Also while it's probably technically possible to screw yourself during the tutorial, it's highly unlikely. You get a super tanky unit in the second to last chapter which can pretty much solo the final 2 chapters by himself, and before that Lyn is good enough to manage on her own if necessary.

Some units will always be fragile (such as pegasus knights, mages, archers) while others are built like walls and best used as shields for the the weaker units (such as cavaliers, knights).

Ah thanks, and maybe I didn't check that window. I'll have a look tonight

How long is the tutorial, and the game in general?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
oni-link
If you're really having that much trouble, then I'd just focus majority of your experience on Sain. Dude always turns out to be a monster maxing out his strength and speed and has pretty high HP. I'd say he's easily the best cavalier you can get in the entire series (not counting the reclassing games).

Is the game hard... uh I'd say it's the second most difficult localized FE game.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any rhyme or reason to how Witches move/warp in Echoes? I swear it's up to chance or something.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The tutorial is 10 chapters long and took me around 3 hours, and the rest of the game goes up to chapter 31, and took me around 35 hours my first time through.

oni-link
If you're really having that much trouble, then I'd just focus majority of your experience on Sain. Dude always turns out to be a monster maxing out his strength and speed and has pretty high HP. I'd say he's easily the best cavalier you can get in the entire series (not counting the reclassing games).

Is the game hard... uh I'd say it's the second most difficult localized FE game.

Thanks both, I'm doing better now, I lost Will but no one else since then, and I've just picked up Rath and the thief

I'll look to finish the tutorial chapters tonight and then onto the main game

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck at Nuibaba's abode
what was this map? who thought it was a good idea? who let this pass in the original? who let this pass in the remake?

Lemme just inch my way towards this boss character who has a ranged tome that guarantees a knockdown to 1 HP with a guy right next to her spawning gargoyles out the arse so that they can just chip the 1 hp away.
And put a wide mountain in front so you can't even get horses/knights over without taking the long thin back path around the back with mages and archers blasting away.
Oh and super evasive brigands, and every tile is like evasion town, WHY WHY WHHHHHYY?

After never needing to really use the turnwheel I had to abuse the shit out of it down to the final cog, maybe I missed something but that one map just jumped up to the top tier of "FUCK YOU" maps I've played in the localised Fire Emblems.
Also who builds a mansion with a thrilling cliff face view out the front and only an entrance in the back, goddamit Nuibaba you are a silly woman.

(I specify localised because I know some guy wants to roll in with some Thracia action)

---
This is also the point I reap the price of not getting how levelling/class changes work in this game, I am a suboptimal machine

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks both, I'm doing better now, I lost Will but no one else since then, and I've just picked up Rath and the thief

I'll look to finish the tutorial chapters tonight and then onto the main game
Don't stress too much about losing characters in the tutorial, but once the main game starts it's a bigger deal as they will actually be gone for good. Don't be afraid to reset if one of your useful units dies, and make sure you are paying attention to enemy attack ranges and equipment. You should also make use of the rescue command when in a tight spot, one of the characters you get once you start Eliwood's route (Marcus) is particularly good for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking of Path of Radiance and how cool it would be if they brought Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn together as a Remake for the Switch.

In my dreams its remade using the same engine they've used in fates, but much higher res obviously. Redone music in the style of Awakening and Fates where the map music becomes much more intense for battles. Saving the old battle themes for special enemies.

And if the developers really don't want to get away from the child system, how cool would it be if Radiant Dawn featured new characters, the children of the couples you make in Radiant Dawn.

But honestly i'd be just as happy if they just uprezzed the base games and released it as the Radiant Saga.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking of Path of Radiance and how cool it would be if they brought Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn together as a Remake for the Switch.

In my dreams its remade using the same engine they've used in fates, but much higher res obviously. Redone music in the style of Awakening and Fates where the map music becomes much more intense for battles. Saving the old battle themes for special enemies.

And if the developers really don't want to get away from the child system, how cool would it be if Radiant Dawn featured new characters, the children of the couples you make in Radiant Dawn.

But honestly i'd be just as happy if they just uprezzed the base games and released it as the Radiant Saga.

The Tellius games would likely benefit the least from remakes, especially considering their dismal original performance and the presence of an existing localisation - if the Switch ever gets a VC equivalent, PoR and RD would be best suited for release through it.

The Jugdral games are well positioned to deliver a 'new' experience to most of the world with elements that have been advertised in advance through Awakening and Heroes' crossover elements, and IS has publicly stated enthusiasm to remake 6, considering it's an until-now untranslated title starring a character who's nevertheless among one of the most popular in the series worldwide.

I'm more interested in how Echoes will affect their approach to remakes in general - it was more faithful to the smaller details you mentioned as candidates to evolve from than 12. Echoes performed poorly but not abysmally - the question there is whether that was in line with their expectations and not signifying a need to fundamentally change their approach to remaking earlier games, or just the symptom of releasing as a late 3DS title and the third release on the system.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Tellius games would likely benefit the least from remakes, especially considering their dismal original performance and the presence of an existing localisation - if the Switch ever gets a VC equivalent, PoR and RD would be best suited for release through it.

The Jugdral games are well positioned to deliver a 'new' experience to most of the world with elements that have been advertised in advance through Awakening and Heroes' crossover elements, and IS has publicly stated enthusiasm to remake 6, considering it's an until-now untranslated title starring a character who's nevertheless among one of the most popular in the series worldwide.

I'm more interested in how Echoes will affect their approach to remakes in general - it was more faithful to the smaller details you mentioned as candidates to evolve from than 12. Echoes performed poorly but not abysmally - the question there is whether that was in line with their expectations and not signifying a need to fundamentally change their approach to remaking earlier games, or just the symptom of releasing as a late 3DS title and the third release on the system.
What is your basis for the game performing poorly? It did well on the US charts for the month it released. Obviously there was decline in Japanese sales (probably decline from Fates overall in the west as well) but that's to be expected from a remake on older hardware.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What is your basis for the game performing poorly? It did well on the US charts for the month it released. Obviously there was decline in Japanese sales (probably decline from Fates overall in the west as well) but that's to be expected from a remake on older hardware.
We know it never made it to one million worldwide, so it didn't seem to have the big legs that Awakening had internationally. That said, the official line is that it did well. It does have less scenes with animated 3d models than Awakening and especially Fates, however it had full voice acting and a much larger number of locations that were fully 3d modeled.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know it never made it to one million worldwide, so it didn't seem to have the big legs that Awakening had internationally. That said, the official line is that it did well. It does have less scenes with animated 3d models than Awakening and especially Fates,however it did have full voice acting and a much larger number of locations that were fully 3d modeled.
If the official line is that the game was a success, I see no reason why we shouldn't believe them.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The official line is that Warriors was a success too in spite of not even getting a high position for its debut. After a certain point these just get odd.
They cut a lot of corners on FE Warriors. I'm not that surprised if they consider it a success.
As far as I'm aware, they never said Tokyo Mirage Sessions was a success, which makes sense because it wasn't. I don't know why they'd lie, they just wouldn't say anything

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
By the developers accounts in "The Making of Fire Emblem", Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn sold poorly compared to the GBA entries, to the point where Fire Emblem was absent from home consoles (#FE doesn't count) and nearly killed off the series in its entirely after they failed to streamline it in a now-cancelled second game on the Wii. The direct aftermath of the ambitious additions Radiant Dawn made were apparent when they rolled the series back to a more simplistic base with a remake of the first Fire Emblem and it explains why Fates stuck so closely to the foundation that Awakening created.

That having been said, I have to agree that a remake of the Tellius duology wouldn't see the same benefit as a remake of, say, Thracia 776 or Fuuin No Tsurugi outside of a visual overhaul. It's better to simply make them more accessible instead of having people rely on emulation due to the rarity of physical copies for both games.
The official line is that Warriors was a success too in spite of not even getting a high position for its debut. After a certain point these just get odd.
Warriors games recycle a plethora of content and have relatively low budgets compared to the main Fire Emblem games. Its success was never even up for question.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the developers accounts in "The Making of Fire Emblem", Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn sold abysmally compared to the GBA entries, to the point where Fire Emblem was absent from home consoles (#FE doesn't count) and nearly killed off the series in its entirely after they failed to streamline it in a now-cancelled second game on the Wii. The direct aftermath of the ambitious additions Radiant Dawn made were apparent when they rolled the series back to a more simplistic base with a remake of the first Fire Emblem and it explains why Fates stuck so closely to the foundation that Awakening created.

That having been said, I have to agree that a remake of the Tellius duology wouldn't see the same benefit as a remake of, say, Thracia 776 or Fuuin No Tsurugi outside of a visual overhaul. It's better to simply make them more accessible instead of having people rely on emulation due to the rarity of physical copies for both games.
Think you misunderstood my post Caz, was talking about Echoes.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Thanks for the advice on RD difficulty guys. If RD Normal is apparently still quite difficult then I'll probably go with that first and do Hard on a replay.

The reason for the difficulty is because the difficulty names were mistranslated. In Japan they were normal, hard, and maniac. In the english release, they were erroneously translated as easy, normal , and hard. So really, normal mode is actually hard mode.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Path of Radiance changed the names, but also actually changed the difficulties. I guess initially they intended to do the same thing with Radiant Dawn, but gave up at some point, and didn't bother changing the names again.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Echoes didn't match Awakening and Fates, but official word from Nintendo is that it "exceeded expectations," which is the opposite of poor. I imagine they factored in the disadvantages the game faced when calculating expectations—I mean, it released right after the Switch, to name one.

This interview gives us a glimpse at their internal process behind Echoes:

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2017/04/27/fire-emblem-echoes-dengeki-developer-interview-april-2017/

Yamagami: Avoiding calling it New Gaiden is something we had in mind from the start of development. At the same time, we wanted a title that the rest of the world would also use, so wanted to settle on an English word. Somewhere in that conversation, the word "echoes" surfaced. We imagined it was fitting as older games could now "echo" to the modern players. We were very pleased with the choice, and, if there were to be more remakes in the future, we figured we could use the Echoes title again.

Bolded confirms that, should they exist, future remakes will be titled "Echoes." Really, the only things that'd give me pause with the development of more remakes is what FE16 looks like, how conducive that look will be to recreating old games, and most importantly how prohibitive HD development is on the Switch.

If they're able to push out Fire Emblems at a similar rate to the 3DS with reusable assets, I don't see why we wouldn't get more remakes, especially of 4, 5, and 6.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Echoes didn't match Awakening and Fates, but official word from Nintendo is that it "exceeded expectations," which is the opposite of poor. I imagine they factored in the disadvantages the game faced when calculating expectations—I mean, it released right after the Switch, to name one.

This interview gives us a glimpse at their internal process behind Echoes:

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2017/04/27/fire-emblem-echoes-dengeki-developer-interview-april-2017/

Bolded confirms that, should they exist, future remakes will be titled "Echoes." Really, the only things that'd give me pause with the development of more remakes is what FE16 looks like, how conducive that look will be to recreating old games, and most importantly how prohibitive HD development is on the Switch.

If they're able to push out Fire Emblems at a similar rate to the 3DS with reusable assets, I don't see why we wouldn't get more remakes, especially of 4, 5, and 6.
6 is probably the most likely, tbh.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017

I wasn't questioning whether future remakes would happen at all - I was more thinking about how they'd choose to approach them, looking at Shadow Dragon, 12 and Echoes; and their varying degrees of faithfulness in various aspects - Shadow Dragon utilising reclassing and 12 being the game to introduce a playable avatar, while Echoes made the conscious choice to retain many of the original's mechanical details as well as its original map design / not adopting the 'ablaze' system of dynamic map music.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
6 is probably the most likely, tbh.

Honestly, I think 4 and 6 are equally likely. Part of me thinks they'll go chronologically, because a 6 remake would be so aptly followed by a 7 remake.

Echoes' director did say he would like to do 6, but it's probably not up to him. Could see it going either way, supposing we get more remakes at all.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think 4 and 6 are equally likely. Part of me things they'll go chronologically, because a 6 remake would be so aptly followed by a 7 remake.

Echoes' director did say he would like to do 6, but it's probably not up to him. Could see it going either way, supposing we get more remakes at all.
I feel like the current FE team has more of a connection to 6, and that combined with Roy's popularity makes it seem more likely to me. Obviously I don't have anything to back that up more than a feeling though, lol

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the current FE team has more of a connection to 6, and that combined with Roy's popularity makes it seem more likely to me. Obviously I don't have anything to back that up more than a feeling though, lol

Roy's popularity is a wild card, for sure, haha. Heroes is probably shoring up the recognizability of all the unlocalized games' MCs, though, and Genealogy was a huge seller in Japan.

From that interview, it seems like a large part of why they tackled the unpopular Gaiden is because it already featured explorable dungeons, and that was a leftover asset from Fates that they wanted to explore further. Could be that they'd find similar connectivity with 4, with its children mechanic.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Roy's popularity is a wild card, for sure, haha. Heroes is probably shoring up the recognizability of all the unlocalized games' MCs, though, and Genealogy was a huge seller in Japan.

From that interview, it seems like a large part of why they tackled the unpopular Gaiden is because it already featured explorable dungeons, and that was a leftover asset from Fates that they wanted to explore further. Could be that they'd find similar connectivity with 4, with its children mechanic.
True, that's a good point. It's really a toss up

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a good time with the latest Warriors DLC

Playing it? Definitely not, but the support conversations are surprisingly great

It's so obvious the development team is obsessed with Awakening. Like super duper obsessed, instead of in a superficial way. There are tons of references, and they pick up on traits that were alluded to in supports and such, rather than rely on conventional "ideas" to carry characters. Tharja's the perfect example; she's nothing but lame stalker jokes in Heroes but she shows more of a range of personality traits in Warriors. Like damn, she's actually likable here.

Also it's 2013 and I'm enjoying the hell out of Owain again. Good stuff IS.

cDCazvq.png

QwkAhTO.png

GdXvwme.png

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a good time with the latest Warriors DLC

Playing it? Definitely not, but the support conversations are surprisingly great

It's so obvious the development team is obsessed with Awakening. Like super duper obsessed, instead of in a superficial way. There are tons of references, and they pick up on traits that were alluded to in supports and such, rather than rely on conventional "ideas" to carry characters. Tharja's the perfect example; she's nothing but lame stalker jokes in Heroes but she shows more of a range of personality traits in Warriors. Like damn, she's actually likable here.

Also it's 2013 and I'm enjoying the hell out of Owain again. Good stuff IS.

cDCazvq.png

QwkAhTO.png

GdXvwme.png
Huh, I usually ignore the dialogue in FE Warriors. Maybe I should pay more attention to it

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think 4 and 6 are equally likely. Part of me thinks they'll go chronologically, because a 6 remake would be so aptly followed by a 7 remake.

I think 6 is a really good Echoes-type remake candidate. I'd say Marth's games too, but... it's probably too soon to do that again.

4... should be a mainline entry, if they're smart. A well done (and well marketed) remake of that game could take the franchise to new heights, IMO. Would scratch people's Game of Thrones itch story-wise, while also having the credibility that comes from being a remake of well liked, good tactics game.

(disclaimer: I've never actually played 4. But I do know the story!)

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think 6 is a really good Echoes-type remake candidate. I'd say Marth's games too, but... it's probably too soon to do that again.

4... should be a mainline entry, if they're smart. A well done (and well marketed) remake of that game could take the franchise to new heights, IMO. Would scratch people's Game of Thrones itch story-wise, while also having the credibility that comes from being a remake of well liked, good tactics game.

4 needs some serious work to appeal to the modern audience. 6 would be a lot easier to translate to the modern FE audience, but 4 is just an entirely different beast. It definitely needs the remake more, but it would be a much more difficult proposition.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Well, with Fire Emblem's numbering, they're all really mainline entries... Removing the "Echoes" moniker from 4 while keeping it as a series would be confusing, and IMO unnecessary, since there's no rule that Echoes titles can't get similar budgets/marketing. It will be interesting to see how they tackle gameplay in Echoes going forward—4 and 5 could need significant revision to be successful.

Also, FE6 would surely be expanded to incorporate more FE7 components, such as Lyndis. Could even make Lilina a second Lord, with how they'd modernize the narrative. Gameplay-wise, it's way closer to being ready for a modern audience, but would still need tweaks.

I completely agree with you about 4's possible ability to capture a wider audience, and I really hope to see it.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
4's storyline has a lot of potential though. I'd love to see that one getting the Echoes treatment.