• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Birthright right now and skipping the kids. Will probably get them in Conquest and Revelations.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'll just pick up Sophie and Rhajat to replace Silas and Orochi. Is Silas regarded as a good unit? Seems to have shitty speed and defence. Pretty underwhelming really.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Silas has pretty high balanced growths (a bunch of 50% ones outside of resistance and magic) and his defense should beat most Birthright units. He isn't an amazing unit (especially due to his speed), but he's still pretty solid.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Mitama is probably my favorite character in Birthright if any of you feel like getting the children. She is Azama's daughter.

I am actually finishing up my second playthrough of Birthright now. I felt like it had been long enough that I could revisit Fates with fresher eyes. Birthright isn't amazing, but not as boring as I remember on Hard.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Silas has pretty high balanced growths (a bunch of 50% ones outside of resistance and magic) and his defense should beat most Birthright units. He isn't an amazing unit (especially due to his speed), but he's still pretty solid.

Maybe I just need to pair Silas with Hinoka more and put a Guard Lance on him. Oboro and Hinoka reclassed to Lancer are my high defence units along with Dragonstone Corrin.

I've never managed to get around to using Azama since Sakura and Jakob/Felicia cover my staff needs by the time he shows up. I'll be sure to grind him out in Revelations for his daughter.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I just need to pair Silas with Hinoka more and put a Guard Lance on him. Oboro and Hinoka reclassed to Lancer are my high defence units along with Dragonstone Corrin.

I've never managed to get around to using Azama since Sakura and Jakob/Felicia cover my staff needs by the time he shows up. I'll be sure to grind him out in Revelations for his daughter.
What actually makes Azama stand out is his high strength growth alongside decent defense and resistance rather than the lopsided defensive stats most characters have. You either keep him as support only to get him to Great Master, when he can attack with physical weapons, or directly class change him to something else (his default Apothecary or later on some other physical class obtained through A+ or S ranking supports). Apothecary's problem is that it's limited to bows before promotion and also hits his speed.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Took your advice and skipped all but Kana, Shigure, Rhajat and Sophie. I'm much happier for it. I might actually finish birthright this time around.

Married Silas to Hinoka and gave him some time in the Sky Knight class to get the darting blow skill to help out his speed. It seemed like the right call. Hinoka is my best unit I feel. Making her a Spear Fighter was a good call.

These last few Birthright chapters are a bit of a slog but I'm enjoying them. Just finished chapter 24 and should beat the game in the next few days. Looking forward to playing Conquest again with it's more mixed objectives (even though I usually treat maps like Rout maps anyway).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I am replaying Awakening right now and I must say that reinforcements appearing at the beginning of the enemy's turn is really frustrating ! Especially when they spawn next to your Healing units ...

I hope they'll have a different implement in FE Switch. Basically make them appear at the end of the enemy's turn or bring back Mila's turnwheel.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I am replaying Awakening right now and I must say that reinforcements appearing at the beginning of the enemy's turn is really frustrating ! Especially when they spawn next to your Healing units ...

I hope they'll have a different implement in FE Switch. Basically make them appear at the end of the enemy's turn or bring back Mila's turnwheel.

Awakening was the exception in the case of same turn reinforcements (ambush spawns), and yeah, it makes the game far more irritating than it should be. Of the localized Fire Emblems, only Shadow Dragon and Awakening have them, so Fire Emblem Switch will 99.99% not.

It's pretty widely reviled in the fanbase, since it funnels gameplay into exasperating trial-and-error loops, punishing players who don't have each map's reinforcement behavior memorized.

I agree they should bring back the Mila's Turnwheel mechanic in some fashion, regardless of reinforcement handling. Would effectively remove the frustration of having to restart a map half an hour in because of a 1% hit/crit, although it might need to be a little more limited than SoV's implementation.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Fates already had reinforcements at the end of enemy turn again, I doubt they'll go back to Awakening's system.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
It's pretty widely reviled in the fanbase, since it funnels gameplay into exasperating trial-and-error loops, punishing players who don't have each map's reinforcement behavior memorized.
To be fair, you don't need to memorize it, you only need to know where reinforcements can spawn. Like stairs, fortresses and map edges. I don't remember any exceptions from it, either. Though of course this will limit your movement options.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, you don't need to memorize it, you only need to know where reinforcements can spawn. Like stairs, fortresses and map edges. I don't remember any exceptions from it, either. Though of course this will limit your movement options.
I've always strongly disliked this argument because it ignores that unless the player knows beforehand, there isn't a way to know which turns and what enemies will spawn. Not knowing if an archer will spawn and fuck up your peg knight is a big deal.

I wouldn't mind STR if it showed the units that will appear the next turn but I doubt that will ever happen.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, you need to know where they spawn, which units spawn, and with what weapons, via memorization or guide, or suffer unpredictable losses that enforce trial-and-error gameplay. As Bonen no Max'd said, if you realize they're coming, but send a unit they counter by unit type or slayer weapon -- whoops.

It would be one thing if they were uniformly telegraphed, but they're not; some lack dialog, many appear in immediate range of your units, and when they appear after a boss' dialog is inconsistent -- usually it's 2 turns later, but not always, and sometimes there are staggered waves from multiple directions. In the case of map edge spawns, you can't even prevent them.

Another unhappy effect it has is artificially increasing the value of unit endurance. For instance, Olivia is good compared to other dancers, but she's less usable in her default class, because your back-line units are randomly liabilities.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I've always strongly disliked this argument because it ignores that unless the player knows beforehand, there isn't a way to know which turns and what enemies will spawn.
Which difficulty mode are we talking about? I wasn't much into Awakening which is why I have only completed Hard Mode and I had almost no problems at all with those reinforcements. You could keep squishy units (or Pegs) out of range and pair-up is broken enough to make most units not care about any type of reinforcements.

If there really are a lot of reinforcements with effectiveness against certain unit types, then it really is a big problem (I don't remember), but most of the times I hear people complaining about their healers dying. Well, they are most susceptible for this because they are squishy and not on the frontline and reinforcements usually come from the back, but this needs to make you change your healer's position on the field. I mean, yes, you can still get really unlucky, but being more cautious about reinforcement points WILL save you a lot of resets. I believe many people don't even try to do that and just blame all of it on the game itself, which certainly is justifiable to an extent, but a lot of the times you could have prevented it without knowing when and what.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an Echoes thread? I have no idea how to deal with this final boss

Well, apart from sacrificing people. I'm pretty sure I can win pretty easily if I'm winning to kill off half my army here.

Playing on normal/classic! This is supposed to be for babies!

e: I just noticed there's a little area where you can bait the boss while the "1 HP cheap attack" mage won't attack. This changes everything

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
How many poison swamps must I endure in Echoes?! do the maps manage to get worse than this? because I'd be impressed.
I just wanna know if it can only go up from here.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Hey gang! I was wondering if i could get some recommendations.

So i don't know diddly shit about the FE series of games. I am a musou guy though and have really enjoyed FEW since release. I really like the art style and most the character designs so much i decided that i would get the mainline FE Switch game whenever it comes. But...we have no idea when that may arrive as there is very little details out there correct? SO, basically i thought about dusting off my old 3ds and buying one of the 3ds titles to play. But i have no clue which one i should dive into. There is what, 4 of them to choose from on 3ds?

If it helps...some of the characters i really like in FEW is Azura, Corrin, Fredrick, Lucina, Sakura, Marth.

Also, im assuming every game is its own story and i don't need to know the events of every prior game?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

So i don't know diddly shit about the FE series of games. I am a musou guy though and have really enjoyed FEW since release. I really like the art style and most the character designs so much i decided that i would get the mainline FE Switch game whenever it comes. But...we have no idea when that may arrive as there is very little details out there correct? SO, basically i thought about dusting off my old 3ds and buying one of the 3ds titles to play. But i have no clue which one i should dive into. There is what, 4 of them to choose from on 3ds?

If it helps...some of the characters i really like in FEW is Azura, Corrin, Fredrick, Lucina, Sakura, Marth.

Also, im assuming every game is its own story and i don't need to know the events of every prior game?

You should start off with Awakening or Birthright, then. They're the most newcomer-friendly, and each features some of your favorite characters, except Marth, who's in Shadow Dragon (DS game). [Well, actually, you can recruit Marth in Awakening too, via Spotpass.] Awakening'll have Frederick and Lucina. Birthright will have Corrin, Azura, and Sakura.

Each of the 3DS games is its own self-contained story, correct.

As for Fire Emblem Switch, all we know is that it's scheduled for 2018. Should have much more information by E3 in June.

Last edited:

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017

I'd strongly recommend Awakening as an introduction to the series. Very loosely connected to the original FE but not at all needed to understand and enjoy the story.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am replaying Awakening and wow I didn't remember that Donnel is very OP. Its stats are insane, he has already maxed out Str (30!), Spd(24) and Luck(33!!) despite being only Level 9 (24 in total). I should promote him at Level 10, right ?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thinking of jumping into the GBA titles and I've never played a FE game before (unless you count Tokyo Mirage Sessions)

Can you make your save unwinnable? Can you level units in between story missions? Can you have multiple save files?

Any other advice before jumping in?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I am replaying Awakening and wow I didn't remember that Donnel is very OP. Its stats are insane, he has already maxed out Str (30!), Spd(24) and Luck(33!!) despite being only Level 9 (24 in total). I should promote him at Level 10, right ?

Basically anyone who Second Seals will be super OP, at least through Hard.

I've actually been replaying Awakening as well, and I might cut my run short tbh. Gotten to Chapter 12, and everyone is so OP from S ranking and throwing a couple second seals around, I've been steamrolling the game so much that I'm bored.

Fates did rebalance a lot of Awakening-introduced mechanics for the better.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
In a moment of sheer dumbness I thought I couldn't move on with Alm in act 4 of Echoes until I did all of Celica's part.
So after slogging through all the swamps and that tower of Duma I jump back to ol' Alm like "what? I still can't move forward..."
And that's when I realised that to move up from the sluice gate I have to just move myself to the road right next to it, I am a smart man!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I thinking of jumping into the GBA titles and I've never played a FE game before (unless you count Tokyo Mirage Sessions)

Can you make your save unwinnable? Can you level units in between story missions? Can you have multiple save files?

Any other advice before jumping in?

It's probably technically possible to make your save unwinnable, but not in practicality. The games are designed around the assumption that a fair amount of your units will die, even though many of the developers have said their preferred method of play is by resetting on unit death.

Fire Emblem (7, Blazing Sword) and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones are both great starting points. In the former, there's no way to level units in-between story missions, but in the latter there's a world map where it's possible to grind. Either way, Normal Mode is balanced around new players, and isn't very difficult.

You can absolutely have multiple save files—I'd encourage it, in case you miss something. In FE7, you actually unlock harder modes by defeating the game once and twice, and replays are always fresh in Fire Emblem, since you can use different units and have them grow differently.

As for other advice: in every Fire Emblem, you start off with a seemingly powerful promoted unit, who I'd recommend against killing everything with. They're both a crutch and a trap for new players, since you don't want to waste too much valuable EXP on them, but preferably use them to weaken enemies, rescue units, and deal with emergencies. You can also unequip them and use them as a distraction or wall, since enemies often prioritize attacking units that can't fight back.

Generally, their growths/stats are poorer than units you raise from scratch, so they're a worse investment, although FE7 and FE8 (localized GBA games) have exceptionally powerful ones who remain viable long-term. Still, don't want your early game units to lag behind on EXP by soloing maps with Marcus/Seth.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
smh bad advice, Jagens are normally OP for at least half the game if not the entire game

The point is that if you abuse your Jeigan, your regular units will suffer, which is rather undeniable. They're best employed as support to train your normal units until they're reliable. Those are pretty important lessons for a new Fire Emblem player. Advising them to rely on their Jeigan as a one man team is the bad advice.

Also, not all Jeigans remain powerful in the back-half of their games, particularly on higher difficulties. Seth (FE8) and Titania (FE9) are exceptional in that, as well as Frederick (FE13), owing to Awakening's reclassing mechanic and inflated growths. Marcus (FE7) is quite good (arguably FE7's best unit in some respects), but not comparable to Seth, and inferior to the cavaliers in the endgame. (Yes, yes, those are all Oifeys—I know.)

On Normal, of course, none of that remotely matters, but it'd be a bad habit to get into that would negatively impact a player's developing skill at the games.

Last edited:

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
The point is that if you abuse your Jeigan, your regular units will suffer, which is rather undeniable. They're best employed as support to train your normal units until they're reliable. Those are pretty important lessons for a new Fire Emblem player. Advising them to rely on their Jeigan as a one man team is the bad advice.

Also, relatively few Jeigans remain powerful in the back-half of their games, particularly on higher difficulties. Seth (FE8) and Titania (FE9) are exceptional in that, as well as Frederick (FE13), owing to Awakening's reclassing mechanic and inflated growths. Marcus (FE7) is quite good, but not comparable to Seth et al., and inferior to a raised-from-scratch Sain or Kent from Lyn's mode (or Lowen).

On Normal, of course, none of that remotely matters, but it'd be a bad habit to get into that would negatively impact a player's developing skill at the games.
very rarely does a new player actually overuse the early prepromote, far more often they aren't used nearly enough and the player gets stuck somewhere in the earlygame, which is usually the hardest part of the game

and getting surpassed statistically...maybe...doesn't really matter when they're still ORKOing most enemies lategame anyway

Oct 25, 2017
Even if a jeigan does drop off they're still one of your best units. Marcus in FE6 tapers off in the midgame-ish but is still easily a top 5 unit, maybe top 3. You just replace him with better units when his stats fall off.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
very rarely does a new player actually overuse the early prepromote, far more often they aren't used nearly enough and the player gets stuck somewhere in the earlygame, which is usually the hardest part of the game

and getting surpassed statistically...maybe...doesn't really matter when they're still ORKOing most enemies lategame anyway

I edited my initial post, in case it needed clarity. I'd speculate that the former behavior is more common than the latter, but obviously it's impossible to say.

Jeigans and Oifeys are both invaluable, make no mistake, but considering they asked if there was any way to screw up one's save, I elaborated on one piece of common sense. You'll note that I gave them several ways to use them constructively, too; I didn't just say ignore them.

Oct 25, 2017
I edited my initial post, in case it needed clarity. I'd speculate that the former behavior is more common than the latter, but obviously it's impossible to say.

Jeigans and Oifeys are both invaluable, make no mistake, but considering they asked if there was any way to screw up one's save, I elaborated on one piece of common sense. You'll note that I gave them several ways to use them constructively, too; I didn't just say ignore them.
It's still just not really correct, by the time a jeigan drops off the player should still be getting new units with good bases. I'm struggling to think of a game where the jeigan dropping off is a major threat.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Using jeigans will drop your overall ranking though for the games that have them.

I mean, people have been able to beat the games with 0% growths through rng manipulation. The thing is that not everyone is adequate in these games, especially on their first playthrough going blind. Rng screwed units is still a thing people can encounter and bad decisions can affect your options. Not all games for example have shops in the chapter menu. If you happen to break all your best weapons well in advance, and your units got strength screwed, you might realize you have to rely on rng to beat certain bosses.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another unhappy effect it has is artificially increasing the value of unit endurance. For instance, Olivia is good compared to other dancers, but she's less usable in her default class, because your back-line units are randomly liabilities.

Olivia is actually one of the worst dancers in the series because dancing utility in Awakening doesn't even begin to compare to the other games. Reclassing her just makes her into a gimped melee unit.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It's still just not really correct, by the time a jeigan drops off the player should still be getting new units with good bases. I'm struggling to think of a game where the jeigan dropping off is a major threat.

The general advice of "don't kill everything with your jeigan, instead use them in X, Y, or Z way, and be sure to use other units" is absolutely relevant.

I wasn't saying shelf them or never kill anything with them—as I said, they're invaluable tools, and Marcus and Seth in particular remain decent and fantastic units through endgame, respectively—I was just warning a complete newcomer not to abuse them, since he wondered if there were ways you could hurt your save.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Olivia is actually one of the worst dancers in the series because dancing utility in Awakening doesn't even begin to compare to the other games. Reclassing her just makes her into a gimped melee unit.

I meant comparing her statistically in a vacuum, due to Awakening's inflated stats. Agreed, dancing is much less useful in Awakening, which was partially what I was saying.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant comparing her statistically in a vacuum, due to Awakening's inflated stats. Agreed, dancing is much less useful in Awakening, which was partially what I was saying.

I figured you were talking about that, but even so, check out Olivia's bases

cAy30lL.png

Absolutely dreadful! And to think, for years people argued that Olivia was Chrom's optimal wife due to Rightful King Inigo. Ahhh, this fanbase~

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I figured you were talking about that, but even so, check out Olivia's bases

cAy30lL.png

Absolutely dreadful! And to think, for years people argued that Olivia was Chrom's optimal wife due to Rightful King Inigo. Ahhh, this fanbase~

So, I'd made that comment awhile ago off of memory, but I just compared her bases and growths to the GBA dancers, and yeah, she's just starkly inferior or on par in every way, Awakening's inflation be damned.

Hey, she earned that Warriors representation for... reasons... though. Didn't have anything to do with her attire.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's probably technically possible to make your save unwinnable, but not in practicality. The games are designed around the assumption that a fair amount of your units will die, even though many of the developers have said their preferred method of play is by resetting on unit death.

Fire Emblem (7, Blazing Sword) and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones are both great starting points. In the former, there's no way to level units in-between story missions, but in the latter there's a world map where it's possible to grind. Either way, Normal Mode is balanced around new players, and isn't very difficult.

You can absolutely have multiple save files—I'd encourage it, in case you miss something. In FE7, you actually unlock harder modes by defeating the game once and twice, and replays are always fresh in Fire Emblem, since you can use different units and have them grow differently.

As for other advice: in every Fire Emblem, you start off with a seemingly powerful promoted unit, who I'd recommend against killing everything with. They're both a crutch and a trap for new players, since you don't want to waste too much valuable EXP on them, but preferably use them to weaken enemies, rescue units, and deal with emergencies. You can also unequip them and use them as a distraction or wall, since enemies often prioritize attacking units that can't fight back.

Generally, their growths/stats are poorer than units you raise from scratch, so they're a worse investment, although FE7 and FE8 (localized GBA games) have exceptionally powerful ones who remain viable long-term. Still, don't want your early game units to lag behind on EXP by soloing maps with Marcus/Seth.

Thanks for your comments, I had no idea about not using the powerful standing characters too much

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so the first GBA FE game is actually called Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword?

I always thought it was pretty dumb it was released as just "Fire Emblem"

Yep. It was just titled "Fire Emblem" in the West, because it was the first localized game in the series.

The first GBA game is actually Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, which was never localized. Blazing Sword was a prequel to it, but they both have standalone plots. It's the one that features Roy, of Smash Bros fame.