• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. The main plotline of their lives was that they had to flee Daein after Elena was given the medallion by a heron that Ashnard had captured.

They're not going to do a prequel, and that's fine, I'd rather do new things.

If you WERE going to do a prequel though, I'd probably center it on Altina, the first apostle who wielded both Alondite and Ragnell like a fucking badass and sealed Yune away. By far the raddest FE character we've never been able to play as.

latest
I'd like to wait and see what the writing quality is like on FE Switch before I start asking for an Altina game, haha.
She might be better off as a legend than a lord.

Tellius did have a lot of cool ideas with its world, so I certainly wouldn't mind returning if we can get some good writers to work on it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If they made a prequel, it'd probably follow the Blazing Sword model, where it focuses on an original conflict that gives them more leeway, rather than known backstory. Still, that overall seems a very unlikely route.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, presumably Greil worked as a Mercenary for a long time before the events of PoR. Might be something there to draw from.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Most people have seen this art before, but now we have the card:

For those wondering, the quote on the card is "Stay... away... from me!"

Tellius is fucked, y'all.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Radiant Dawn turned 11 years old today, so happy birthday to one of the best SRPGs out there! Still immensely enjoying my re-playthrough. Currently at the end of act 3 and I'm amazed at the varied and unique chapter objectives. I swear, FE Switch better not be another Rout fest.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly, it means he's providing voice work for Fire Emblem Echoes: The Binding Blade, to be announced after the Fire Emblem Switch presentation at the Fire Emblem Direct in 30min.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm both excited and a bit anxious. The Fire Emblem fandom is currently in a weird spot. Hopefully IntSys did the right moves.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I forgot to say I finished Birthright and slowly making a dent in Conquest.

It's surprising how much map design can change the game built around the same mechanics.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to say I finished Birthright and slowly making a dent in Conquest.

It's surprising how much map design can change the game built around the same mechanics.

Yeah Conquest is really good gameplay-wise. If we get something like that in FE Switch (and with the difficulty options for the players who enjoy an easier experience) I'd be really happy.

Just started Revelation yesterday too. This may be my "completionist" run of Fates but then I have to finish Echoes before the Switch game launches. That's a lot of FE for a year so I wouldn't even be angry if they delayed to early 2019.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay depends if Maeda takes the lead for map design (he's doing heroes now but he did Conquest and NMoE) so his track record is pretty solid

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really love it if Taeko Kaneda returns as the main director for FE Switch, but it seems like he left IntSys after Radiant Dawn.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure she was let go after they reorganized the staff after RD.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see what kind of magic IS achieves with HD.

Other than Paper Mario.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The FE: Warrior devs are fucking incredible

I think Linde's selling point is that she has sexy feet, so we designed her with careful consideration to what she wears under her robe based on reflection points we had in the main story. We had a challenge on how far we can shake the robe, but we can't expose her too much either so this is what we ended up with. And I think her other appeal point is being bright and living positively despite having a difficult past, so I'll be glad if you can notice that in her support conversations.

I wish I could be this based

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
First of all for Devil Mountain (A Brush in the Teeth), I think we really needed to make this map without even being told. This is the map where Navarre joined you in the original game, and he also had that famous conversation with Caeda. I already said it before, but we thought up of History Mode itself just because we want to reproduce this scene.

I guess they accidentally confirmed he was meant to be playable from the start at some point.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate it when people talk about Shouzou Kaga's contribution they just say "FE4 has good story". Shouzou Kaga is a great game designer first and foremost and then a decent storyteller. You can always count on Kaga to bring some new systems that you never saw before. Most people don't seem to realize that the franchise is still benefiting from his legacy even today.

Look at Tear Ring Saga: in the game the story is cut into two routes. One is like traditional FE, one battle after the other. The other route gives player freedom to walk around the map, fighting combat that is not part of the main story. Sounds familiar right? The difference is Kaga didn't cut his game into two titles and he managed to tell a coherent story. TRS has a competent multiplayer mode, decade ahead of FE. TRS expanded the setting by including more fantastical enemies such as monsters, then FE picked it up in Sacred Stone. Now monster enemies have become staple.

And then there's Berwick Saga. The game tests all your knowledge of the genre, and unlike any FE game, you simply can't let a strong character clear the whole map. To this day it feels like the ultimate FE, one that you should tackle after finishing every other one.

I wish IS can put more effort into innovating gameplay systems instead of stories and character designs.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
If the only two Fire Emblem games I've played are Awakening and Echoes, and I got tired of Awakening about halfway through and trudged to the end only to stop and finish the final few missions like 2 years later just to say I did, but I loved Echoes, should I play Birthright/Conquest?

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If the only two Fire Emblem games I've played are Awakening and Echoes, and I got tired of Awakening about halfway through and trudged to the end only to stop and finish the final few missions like 2 years later just to say I did, but I loved Echoes, should I played Birthright/Conquest?

If you were that unenthused by Awakening, I wouldn't recommend Fates as your next game; its storylines are the opposite of gripping.

I'd recommend playing Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (just titled Fire Emblem in the West), or Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. They're two of the strongest localized standalone entries, both in narrative and gameplay.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I mainly loved Echoes due to three things:

1. Difficulty. I am NOT a fan of SRPGs. I can find fun in them but not when they're really hard or demanding. So this game, FFTA2, stuff like that.

2. Presentation and characters. I liked a lot of the characters, and the presentation, portraits, and frankly outstanding voice cast helped tremendously. Everything being voice acted helped a lot.

3. Music - really, really good.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
If the only two Fire Emblem games I've played are Awakening and Echoes, and I got tired of Awakening about halfway through and trudged to the end only to stop and finish the final few missions like 2 years later just to say I did, but I loved Echoes, should I played Birthright/Conquest?
That depends. Why did you love Echoes? Was it exclusively for the characters and narrative? If so, then Fates probably won't do much for you. Conquest is gameplay-focused first and foremost, Birthright is a more beginner-friendly alternative, and Revelation is a messy affair. Their narratives range from bad to below average. The cast is fine, there are some entertaining characters and amusing support conversations, but most of them didn't really stick with me too long after beating the games. Conquest has amazing gameplay though, and Birthright is a marked improvement over Awakening on that department, so that's really the reason why you should play those games. If you want something closer to Echoes, it's probably a better idea to check out the older games in the series like 7, Sacred Stones (this one is particularly similar to Echoes in a lot of ways) or Path of Radiance.

EDIT: well, from your second post, definitely go for the older titles then. 7, Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance are all fairly easy. Their presentation are obviously not on-par with Echoes, but narrative-wise they're just as good or better.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Strategically and tactically, FE:Echoes is a poor experience. However, the presentation, characters and music are top-tier.
Really feels like a missed opportunity. If they had redone the maps and gameplay entirely, Echoes would have jumped from "fine and pretty" to downright "fantastic".

Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword remains the best GBA title by far. Lyn's story, however, is a prolonged tutorial. It was necessary for newcomers back in the days, much less so nowadays.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately, Fire Emblem (7, Blazing Sword) is what I'd recommend on its own merits. Strong story, characters, and very reasonable difficulty for a newcomer on Normal. It was hand-crafted to provide an introductory experience to Western players by easing them into mechanics over the course of the story.

Sacred Stones will also deliver competent story and characters, with similarly stressless gameplay on Normal. It'll be the most familiar experience coming off of Echoes, with its world map and ability to grind random encounters.

Fates will provide you with the closest presentation to Echoes, graphically, being its immediate predecessor, while my prior two recommendations are GBA games. Of the three routes, the best fit for you would be Birthright, with its simpler objectives and... least bad story...

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I hate it when people talk about Shouzou Kaga's contribution they just say "FE4 has good story". Shouzou Kaga is a great game designer first and foremost and then a decent storyteller. You can always count on Kaga to bring some new systems that you never saw before. Most people don't seem to realize that the franchise is still benefiting from his legacy even today.

Look at Tear Ring Saga: in the game the story is cut into two routes. One is like traditional FE, one battle after the other. The other route gives player freedom to walk around the map, fighting combat that is not part of the main story. Sounds familiar right? The difference is Kaga didn't cut his game into two titles and he managed to tell a coherent story. TRS has a competent multiplayer mode, decade ahead of FE. TRS expanded the setting by including more fantastical enemies such as monsters, then FE picked it up in Sacred Stone. Now monster enemies have become staple.

And then there's Berwick Saga. The game tests all your knowledge of the genre, and unlike any FE game, you simply can't let a strong character clear the whole map. To this day it feels like the ultimate FE, one that you should tackle after finishing every other one.

I wish IS can put more effort into innovating gameplay systems instead of stories and character designs.
My experience with Kaga games is, he really liked gimmicks.
He'd try new ideas often, sure, but sometimes they would be baffling like with movement stars. Personally, I think the series became stronger when it started refining its gameplay after FE5 instead of throwing in any gimmick they could think of. Innovation can is good, but not if it starts to make the gameplay weaker.

I can't speak for his games after FE, so I have no idea if he's better at thinking through his ideas.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword remains the best GBA title by far. Lyn's story, however, is a prolonged tutorial. It was necessary for newcomers back in the days, much less so nowadays.
I agree, but only because the overall difficulty on Sacred Stones is rather low, even on hard mode (with a few exceptions - screw the Ghost Ship chapter!). It's also rather short, due to 6 missions being Lord specific and many other maps being in the extra dungeons which are not part of the main story. If that wouldn't be the case I would put it way above 7.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My experience with Kaga games is, he really liked gimmicks.
He'd try new ideas often, sure, but sometimes they would be baffling like with movement stars. Personally, I think the series became stronger when it started refining its gameplay after FE5 instead of throwing in any gimmick they could think of. Innovation can is good, but not if it starts to make the gameplay weaker.

I can't speak for his games after FE, so I have no idea if he's better at thinking through his ideas.
When those "gimmicks" become series standard, you gotta appreciate him for trying. Who thought Awakening can dig out the world map from Gaiden and child unit from FE4 and become a huge success?

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
When those "gimmicks" become series standard, you gotta appreciate him for trying. Who thought Awakening can dig out the world map from Gaiden and child unit from FE4 and become a huge success?
I never said he didn't have good ideas.
But for me a game like FE4's good ideas are far outweighed by its bad ones, and it's just not all that fun to play imo.

It's not like the series hasn't tried to innovate itself after Kaga, hell first thing it did was create the support system that became a staple of the series.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never said he didn't have good ideas.
But for me a game like FE4's good ideas are far outweighed by its bad ones, and it's just not all that fun to play imo.

It's not like the series hasn't tried to innovate itself after Kaga, hell first thing it did was create the support system that became a staple of the series.
You mean support dialogue. Support effect itself exists in FE4 (between couples and siblings I believe) and FE5. It's far from a new system.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
You mean support dialogue. Support effect itself exists in FE4 (between couples and siblings I believe) and FE5. It's far from a new system.
Technically, yeah.

But the system that has become standard is what FE6 created, yes there's the dialogue, but also the fact that it allows us to decide who supports who instead of it being simply set bonuses between certain characters. It's far more involved than what came before, enough to be its own thing.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Sacred Stones did bring back the world map first, but yeah the sameyness of 6-7-8 was a problem.

I respect 9/10's ambition (hell I think 10 is an extremely ambitious game) but they were really hampered by Int Sys's lack of tech skills at the time.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Attempt no.3 to finish Fates without getting bored. Birthright chapter 19. I feel like the kids really kill the pacing of the game. Plus doing all their paralogues leaves you so overpowered for the main chapters. But I don't want to miss any content. Maybe I should just leave getting all kids for the Revelations run.