• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the leak already debunked on Serenes?

A lot of things in it scream fake to me, especially all of the "maybes" and the inclusion of several fan favorite systems (magic triangle, etc).

I'd almost rather IS not tackle the setting it described, because with their track record, it would either be really decent (Telius) or really cringe (Nohr). Considering which one was the most recent, and the fact that the Telius staff have seemingly been purged, odds wouldn't be great.

Man, between Fates' dumpster fire, and Echoes' mostly pretty awesome scripting, FE: Switch is going to prove really decisive on IS's writing direction. I'm anxious. hah.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Echoes is my favorite 3DS Fire emblem :D
You're not alone. After some time yeah, I'm bumping it over Awakening for me. Don't care if the maps were garbage, I really liked Echoe's cast. Echoes > Awakening > Conquest >>>>> Birthright > Revelation
It's not my favorite FE game, but it is my favorite 3DS FE game.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd almost rather IS not tackle the setting it described, because with their track record, it would either be really decent (Telius) or really cringe (Nohr). Considering which one was the most recent, and the fact that the Telius staff have seemingly been purged, odds wouldn't be great.

Man, between Fates' dumpster fire, and Echoes' mostly pretty awesome scripting, FE: Switch is going to prove really decisive on IS's writing direction. I'm anxious. hah.
Fates' main writer isn't around anymore either though. They didn't even bring him back for Fates' own standalone DLC maps.

Depending on how they handle cutscenes in FE Switch, I could see an Awakening situation popping up all over again though, where they quickly realize they can't do cutscenes for everything and suddenly the story becomes really abridged. Hopefully they don't shy away from narration if that happens again.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Is Marth really that great in FE1/3? He was kinda underwhelming on SD.

As for avatars, I don't know. I kinda like Robin but Corrin was pretty bad, so I'm abivalent towards them, but closer to "dislike" than "like". If they ever wrote a compelling character around them I wouldn't be against it.
The one thing I universally dislike about them is how they limit cutscene direction. Though that could be addressed now that IS has a machine capable of pulling off good looking in-engine cutscenes.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only game that really didn't have that much shipping were FE1, I'm not sure if the Abel/Est thing in FE3 was player influenced or not as a result of the fandom popularity of the characters or not.

Gaiden is love triangle heaven.

The player fawning is weird because it used to be lord fawning (marth and roy for example get it alot). However, Fates takes it to an EXTREME.
Fates avatar fawning makes a ton of sense once you find out its made by a anime writer, one who doesn't write great anime on top of it, it's very harem anime-esque, in that regard I infinitely enjoyed robin as a avatar more

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
You're not alone. After some time yeah, I'm bumping it over Awakening for me. Don't care if the maps were garbage, I really liked Echoe's cast. Echoes > Awakening > Conquest >>>>> Birthright > Revelation
It's not my favorite FE game, but it is my favorite 3DS FE game.

For me is Echoes >> Revelation > Awakening > Birthright >>> Conquest. Mostly because of the casts, I absolutely hated Conquest siblings and overall cast.

It also helps that Echoes has better art and music is great.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Conquest>Awakening>Revelations>Echoes>Birthright.

I never even beat birthright legit. I got bored about chapter 14 and put the game on easy just to see how the story went in that version.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, I thought the Conquest siblings were more interesting than the Birthright siblings. Besides Takumi, the other three siblings just felt bland and boring. At least the lobster guy was broken. Conquest also had the better maps/objectives, and even though Conquest story was dumpster fire at least you'll remember it since it was so bad. I can barely remember what happened in Birthright, it just felt generic and nothing stood out. Revelations just went downhill in the second half for me, and I was kinda getting tired of the teleporting tile maps. I don't think I even finished it lol, I think I'm on the final chapter

Oh, he does. And he was. :)

Coupled with Lyndis as one of the most likable lords.
I liked all the lords in FE 7, even Eliwood lol. Only lords that I disliked are Corrin and the Birthright siblings (Takumi is an exception). I guess Celica is pretty bad too, with all the dumb stuff she does.

Last edited:

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
Have yet to finish Echoes, but from what I've played:
Conquest > Echoes > Awakening > Birthright > Revelation
I've said it before, Conquest is one of my favorite FE games, period. Maybe even my favorite. Loved it's gameplay, artstyle (it's generic enemy portraits are my favorite in the series), soundtrack and so on. I guess it really helps that I didn't find the characters/writing offensive (tbh, I don't think most FEs have good plots to begin with. The only ones I'm really fond of are FE7&8... and 8 is just about individual characters and not the plot itself; Never played PoR tho, but RD doesn't give me confidence in it). Hated Revelations tho, it retroactively makes Conquest and Birthright's stories EVEN worse, instead of the other way around as it should have done.

So far, I'm enjoying Echoes. The map design is a real bummer tho. Definitely stings an otherwise very solid package imo. Awakening wasn't as bad design-wise, but wasn't good either. Never liked the artstyle and the pacing issues in the story were more glaring to me than Conquest's

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Can we get Matsuno to write for FE? He's the only Japanese game writer I trust to not give a generic anime fantasy story.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get Matsuno to write for FE? He's the only Japanese game writer I trust to not give a generic anime fantasy story.

Realistically, they could probably arrange for him to contribute a single paralogue to Heroes.

Though more seriously, I'm not sure how that would go over - I feel like the demands of a mainline FE game might go against the strengths of whatever setting and plot he puts forward; coupled with his ongoing withdrawal from large-scale development only broken up by guest contributions and the occasional mobile title. (Actually, how is Lost Order? I've heard pretty much no impressions of it.) Especially when Fire Emblem doesn't really need a 'better' or more involved story than Fates to succeed and deliver memorable characters / reasonable gameplay; continuing to chase after guest writers to radically alter the series' narrative direction doesn't seem all that necessary.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just read over the FE 16 leaks. Though of course take with a grain of salt but the overall premise and setting of it sounds quite interesting.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Realistically, they could probably arrange for him to contribute a single paralogue to Heroes.

Though more seriously, I'm not sure how that would go over - I feel like the demands of a mainline FE game might go against the strengths of whatever setting and plot he puts forward; coupled with his ongoing withdrawal from large-scale development only broken up by guest contributions and the occasional mobile title. (Actually, how is Lost Order? I've heard pretty much no impressions of it.) Especially when Fire Emblem doesn't really need a 'better' or more involved story than Fates to succeed and deliver memorable characters / reasonable gameplay; continuing to chase after guest writers to radically alter the series' narrative direction doesn't seem all that necessary.

I agree that IS should just stop with the guest writers, especially since their in house writers have done good stuff before. That said, I just want another Matsuno SRPG lol.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Just read over the FE 16 leaks. Though of course take with a grain of salt but the overall premise and setting of it sounds quite interesting.

First I've heard of them, looked them up and they sound interesting.

They're pretty detailed, so we should know if they're true pretty much immediately when information starts to come out.

For those that hadn't heard of them (like me) here is a link to one summary.

Last edited:

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
FE has never had and doesn't necessarily need a masterful plot. It just needs to tone down a bit from Fates, which was the victim of trying to do too many things at once: three different routes, ability to have children, player avatar, two families, etc.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that IS should just stop with the guest writers, especially since their in house writers have done good stuff before. That said, I just want another Matsuno SRPG lol.
Unsung Story, BELIEVE.
It's pretty crazy to think that for how successful and influential they were, there really aren't many SRPGs close to FFT and TO in therms of writing and tone. They sure do ape their gameplay formula a lot though. Meanwhile I don't think I've ever found a game that copies FE in that same manner aside from, well, Tear Ring Saga lol

If we ever got a game with Fire Emblem's gameplay and Matsuno's political writing, hey, I sure as hell wouldn't complain.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
When they first announced Fates, I loved the concept of choosing a side.

When I played it and saw Garon. I lost all hope for the story becuase Choosing a side meant little in the end, narrative wise. I thought they were going to take a risk and you'll play a "bad" side in a war, through and through. At least it was fun to play

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
New Cipher live stream showed up.

https://imgur.com/a/5W4i3

Posted by Kirie who we tried to get in here on Resetera, but had issues as Kirie was traveling at the time.

Sacred Stones Twins arts with the heroes VA is a really nice touch.

tumblr_oyue0hwyTK1r9quw8o6_1280.jpg

Shows off some fire emblem heroes merchandise that is purchasable on Amiami.

I hate the Faye's harrier outfit so much.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
FE has never had and doesn't necessarily need a masterful plot. It just needs to tone down a bit from Fates, which was the victim of trying to do too many things at once: three different routes, ability to have children, player avatar, two families, etc.
This is where I'm at.
My favorite games in the series aren't up there because of their stories. I'm certainly not against seeing stronger stories if IS can pull it off, but at the end of the day I'm still buying a FE game for its gameplay.

Things just need to be toned down from the mess that was Fates story, and I think that is likely to happen.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
This is where I'm at.
My favorite games in the series aren't up there because of their stories. I'm certainly not against seeing stronger stories if IS can pull it off, but at the end of the day I'm still buying a FE game for its gameplay.

Things just need to be toned down from the mess that was Fates story, and I think that is likely to happen.

Ayup fates just seemed like a disaster from the beginning, they just were too ambitious and had feature creep.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I would honestly, be fine with another "Rag tag band of heroes vs Evil Empire (Evil Dragon Optional)" plot for the next one. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, and it all comes down to interesting characters moreso than interesting plot for me with Fire Emblem. Besides, you only need to nudge that story just a little to make something unique. Case in point: Valkyria Chronicles. Rag tag band of heroes? Check! Evil Empire? Check! Evil Dragon? ...eh, got a tank the size of an evil dragon, so kind of? And as a bonus for Fire Emblem fans, compelling characters and a story with political overtones? ...it references the Holocaust, so yes. Very yes. If Fire Emblem Switch has a story about the same quality as Valkyria Chronicles, then I'd be totally fine with that.

My greatest worry for the next game is that they try to tell a story they just aren't able to do again. Fates could have been good, but that's where the optional evil dragon rears its ugly head. Fates would have been better off without one and perhaps more shades of gray that cartoonishly evil empire vs. romanticized ancient Japan. A lot of of the bad stuff in Fates comes back to Anankos. The setup for the story is great, it just really misses the execution.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Corrin was presented as a player avatar but having a built in history and personality that distinguished him/her as their own person. Ergo, all the other characters fawning over Corrin feels like the player is watching a Mary Sue magnetize all other plot elements toward them from the Prologue on and this generally annoys people who don't think of themselves as the player avatar.

Working my way through Echoes. I've never played the original but I think I can appreciate the modern updates to it! Like you can kinda see the thin frameworks of what the basic characters were before being reworked into the plot as they are. Maybe the original game gave Alm leadership of the Deliverance once he got there but they explain it and give consequence to it now. Loss of the weapon triangle feels weird but the redistribution via available gear and forging gives a different consideration regarding weapon type and resource management.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those leaks don't sound that bad, tbh. I'd be disappointed if we don't see a significant upgrade in terms of production values and visuals for Switch, but the basic concept sounds interesting. The avatar as an anti-hero could be cool if executed well.

Not a huge fan of the artist mentioned though, tbh.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Those leaks don't sound that bad, tbh. I'd be disappointed if we don't see a significant upgrade in terms of production values and visuals for Switch, but the basic concept sounds interesting. The avatar as an anti-hero could be cool if executed well.

Not a huge fan of the artist mentioned though, tbh.

To me THE best part of the leak is having the protagonist and the avatar on different sides. That sounds like a very interesting concept that allows for a lot of creative freedom.

Still don't quite buy the link

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if one day they really will bite the bullet and just do Fire Emblem on Mars.

That sounded like the raddest thing (that would have most certainly tanked the series) and I'm curious if they ever scribbled some concepts out.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So with the Mars idea would it be set in a more future setting or some kind of Fantasy Mars? If it is in a future setting it might as well become Advance Wars at that point. Which would be awesome since I miss Advance Wars.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
That leak is dumb as hell lol

People are hand-wringing over whether IntSys would want a 'real' villain MC, but the real eyebrow raising shit is stuff like going back to the old weapon triangle and especially stuff like 'I didn't learn anything about the protagonist except their very specific name and oh yeah, they use a sword'. They use a sword, wow.

edit: oh there was more, I'll read on this and see I guess. Still think 'old weapon triangle' is a deathknell on this being legit though.

edit2: ok I read up on this more and I will eat my god damn hat if any of this is legit lol

Last edited:

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
That leak is dumb as hell lol

People are hand-wringing over whether IntSys would want a 'real' villain MC, but the real eyebrow raising shit is stuff like going back to the old weapon triangle and especially stuff like 'I didn't learn anything about the protagonist except their very specific name and oh yeah, they use a sword'. They use a sword, wow.

edit: oh there was more, I'll read on this and see I guess. Still think 'old weapon triangle' is a deathknell on this being legit though.

edit2: ok I read up on this more and I will eat my god damn hat if any of this is legit lol

What struck me as unrealistic was switching away from Yusuke Kozaki for character designs. Maybe I'm overestimating how conservative IntSys is, but if I were in their shoes I'd stick with him for as long as possible.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
So with the Mars idea would it be set in a more future setting or some kind of Fantasy Mars? If it is in a future setting it might as well become Advance Wars at that point. Which would be awesome since I miss Advance Wars.

I always kind of imagined it like 80's saturday morning cartoon sci-fi/fantasy. Like He-Man or John Carter. It'd be fantasy, but also sci fi.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What struck me as unrealistic was switching away from Yusuke Kozaki for character designs. Maybe I'm overestimating how conservative IntSys is, but if I were in their shoes I'd stick with him for as long as possible.
I agree, seems weird to move away from Kozaki. I mean, I could see them maybe using Hidari again (imo she's the better artist) but the leak has someone different.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Kozaki slightly more than Hidari, but both would be great options and there's no reason for IS to choose a different one (unless they have scheduling conflicts or something).

What I've been wondering is if they'll use the Live2D tech for something more substantial, like "animated portraits" for the supports. In Fates I was very impressed with the sense of depth it achieved, but frustrated by the limited and kind of irrelevant use of it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If the 3d models are good enough, I wonder if they'd just dump the 2d portraits altogether...

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
If the 3d models are good enough, I wonder if they'd just dump the 2d portraits altogether...

I'm doubtful of that - the charm and character of the cast are massive selling points, and it's still going to be difficult to perfectly translate the artwork and facial expressions for so large a cast in 3D.

It could shift to 3D - with the 3DS CG and Warriors as a reference - but like I've said before on the subject, I'm more inclined to believe a Persona 5-like presentation which blends a more direct focus on higher fidelity 3D models with still-present 2D portraits is the direction they'll go in, especially for the first HD Fire Emblem. The presentation foibles of the DS games aren't anything they'll be in a hurry to replicate.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to lose the 2D portraits, personally.

I actually kind of hope they keep the sprites for units on the map too.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I actually kind of hope they keep the sprites for units on the map too.

I think there might actually be a chance of that happening as well, just because of the Switch being portable.

Look at how huge Xenoblade 2's UI elements are compared to X - readability in handheld mode is a priority, and the sprites are a lot easier to distinguish.

Still, even in handheld mode there's a lot more space than the 3DS, so it's not a necessity to keep them. However, if they do go with 3D models, I don't think they'll keep them semi proportional like 9/10 - simplified chibi models would probably work better.