• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we'll hear anything about a new Fire Emblem game this year. Whether's it's a remake or not.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we'll hear anything about a new Fire Emblem game this year. Whether's it's a remake or not.

2021 feels more right to me for when we'll get new FE news. But if it is a remake, depending on the development circumstances I could see it being announced in the Fall, assuming Nintendo actually does a routine Direct.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
2021 feels more right to me for when we'll get new FE news. But if it is a remake, depending on the development circumstances I could see it being announced in the Fall, assuming Nintendo actually does a routine Direct.
I feel like it'll be a remake so yeah maybe this year. Whether that's a direct or they do some special announcement at like The Game Awards or something. But I don't think they would announce it there.

Not related but I was just listening to some of the soundtrack of Three Houses and got pretty nostalgic. It really turned out to be one of my favorite games ever. Had such a blast.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll get a tease at the anniversary, at least.

Also I saw somebody suggest a 3H Golden/Royal/Whatever edition and now I realllly want that.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
$100 CAD on the next Fire Emblem being a Seisen No Keifu remake; Three Houses had a lot of mechanical similarities to that particular entry, plus it's the 25th anniversary of that title.

Kind of weird Nintendo didn't do anything to acknowledge it being Fire Emblem's 30th this year.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
How is the translation of Genealogy of the Holy War? I heard that there were at least 2 of them, and don't know which one is the better. Also if it is playable on the snes mini
Project Naga did the best translation. It's really well done, but some of the names are outdated, for example it's Raquesis instead of Lachesis (Raquesis was used in Awakening which is why the team went with this even though it was obviously so wrong haha).

Mar 22, 2020
I like Genealogy as much as the next FE fan but it's humongous maps and insane almost of backtracking would have to be addressed for a remake to play in as snappy and dynamic fashion as the modern FEs. Shadows of Valentina was superb but Gaiden was a much more focused game.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I figure they'll just break up the maps into stages if the size is a problem, no?

(I haven't played it myself)

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Mangs a pretty decently sized youtuber in the FE community has been accused of sexual assault

I feel sick in my stomach reading this.

Mangs was always questionable at best in this regard, but given the context, him manipulating and abusing Goose feels obvious in retrospect.

It's utterly awful, and unless he convincingly proves that this wasn't true (which given the veracity of the allegations, would require a high standard of evidence), he should not be welcome in the FE community anymore. This absolutely cannot be tolerated, much less defended.

I can guarantee that when Mangs makes his statement, some of his fanboys will contort themselves into knots to find any possible defence to discredit Goose's allegations. It happened with Zero, and it will happen here.

Seriously, why is seemingly every goddamn male Youtuber who's remotely famous a gigantic creep and a rapist?

Edit: Would it be appropriate for this to be its own thread?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Mangs a pretty decently sized youtuber in the FE community has been accused of sexual assault

Goose's account is harrowing, and it's sad and terrible she had to go through this. This took a lot of courage, especially considering Mangs' inexplicably large fanbase.

I'm not surprised that, of any FEtubers, it'd be Mangs who'd be so despicable. His entire public persona has always been crass and gross, and even aside from his rife objectification of women, he's been toxic in other ways, including unapologetic homophobia (naming weapons in LPs the F-slur, etc.).

I sincerely hope people like Mekkah finally stop doing collaborative content with him, and speak out against his behavior.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
This coming from "Guys, rape jokes are not funny" Mangs as he's snickering like a child. Yeah, it doesn't surprise me at all.

FUCK. I fucking hate this one. Mangs, you had one job. Collab with a bunch of FEtubers from around the world, and share social interaction. You failed at that harder than your Sacred Stones Ironman.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Goose's account is harrowing, and it's sad and terrible she had to go through this. This took a lot of courage, especially considering Mangs' inexplicably large fanbase.

I'm not surprised that, of any FEtubers, it'd be Mangs who'd be so despicable. His entire public persona has always been crass and gross, and even aside from his rife objectification of women, he's been toxic in other ways, including unapologetic homophobia (naming weapons in LPs the F-slur, etc.).

I sincerely hope people like Mekkah finally stop doing collaborative content with him, and speak out against his behavior.
Given their (frankly awful) response, that seems unlikely:

Hey everyone,
Earlier today Goosaphone posted a Tweetlonger with allegations towards Mangs, addressing things he did during Anime North. All of this was news to me, shocking news even. I wasn't present during Anime North and I have no more information regarding the events there than anyone else. I'm still processing exactly what is happening and I don't think I should be giving "my take" on anything right now. I believe we should always listen to and believe victims. At the same time, Mangs and I have worked together and been friends for years, and I think everyone has the right to defend themselves. At the time of writing this I've only seen Goose's Tweetlonger. Right now, the only other thing I want to get out there loud and clear is to remember that everyone on the other side of the screen is a human. Please don't harass anyone involved, content creator or commenter. We're all people. With this on the mind I can't focus on streaming, so I'm unfortunately calling off my Conquest Stream for tonight. I hope you guys understand. I might get an upload ready instead at my usual time.
One would hope they'll reconsider instead of "they have a right to defend themselves, we're all human" as if that should be their first concern.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Given their (frankly awful) response, that seems unlikely:

Hey everyone,
Earlier today Goosaphone posted a Tweetlonger with allegations towards Mangs, addressing things he did during Anime North. All of this was news to me, shocking news even. I wasn't present during Anime North and I have no more information regarding the events there than anyone else. I'm still processing exactly what is happening and I don't think I should be giving "my take" on anything right now. I believe we should always listen to and believe victims. At the same time, Mangs and I have worked together and been friends for years, and I think everyone has the right to defend themselves. At the time of writing this I've only seen Goose's Tweetlonger. Right now, the only other thing I want to get out there loud and clear is to remember that everyone on the other side of the screen is a human. Please don't harass anyone involved, content creator or commenter. We're all people. With this on the mind I can't focus on streaming, so I'm unfortunately calling off my Conquest Stream for tonight. I hope you guys understand. I might get an upload ready instead at my usual time.
One would hope they'll reconsider instead of "they have a right to defend themselves, we're all human" as if that should be their first concern.

I'm not gonna condemn Mekkah for his comment yet. He's clearly in a state of shock having a pretty close friend be accused of some serious allegations.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not gonna condemn Mekkah for his comment yet. He's clearly in a state of shock having a pretty close friend be accused of some serious allegations.
It's one thing to be shocked about learning they committed such a heinous act, however, I think one's first response to the public about a friend/colleague/etc. shouldn't involve wishywashy "we're all human" non-response nonsense; it waters down what Mangs did by giving them the benefit of the doubt, especially as this comes during a time where we're seeing a significant amount of sexual assault cases, not to mention that Goose isn't the only to have come forward about Mangs, as BZL8 pointed out.

Mangs doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, friend or no.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Mangs has always been borderline creepy, it has been such a long time since I watched one of his videos so I am not sure of he has changed, but I do remember him making a lot of comments that made me pretty...uncomfortable to say the least, but I was hoping that would be the reach of his creepy habits.

FE content creators are super niche and with Mangs being one of the bigger ones this paints a grim outlook, Goose's story is very disturbing.

At least we will always have Pheonixmaster1

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
Mangs' response

Welp, it's not like Mangs' community worked hard to put together an FE8 ROMhack with both members of said community and prominent FEtubers as recruitable characters that won't turn awkward in a hurry now...

tl;dr I'm owning up to these mistakes, but here's my side of the story. i was drunk. And I was very attracted to this girl Goose. We would collab for my Youtube channel, but I'm not hiding the fact I was friendly with a girl I also happened to be physically attracted to. And we flirted with each other through private conversations for years. And when various other FEtubers were brought together for a panel that weekend at Anime North, an incident occurred which, despite no physical contact taking place, made Goose uncomfortable. I apologized to her later in the morning verbally, but through texts we shared that were between trustworthy friends, I could have worded my account and defense WAY better. I had promised not to touch her, but the way the situation went down led me to believe I had broken her trust rather than my promise , and am extremely remorseful for that. However, while what I did may have crossed a line, it was NOT sexual assault. I'm not suggesting Goose is a liar, but I am choosing to recall my side of the events. And I would in no way condone either harm upon her, nor people defending my actions. I won't ask for forgiveness, and I promise to be a better person. I'm sorry for the damage I caused to the community. I have let you all down. I will seek help.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Mekkah's full statement is up after having time to process

www.youtube.com

Mekkah

Hey! My name is Mekkah, and my channel focuses on the wonderful Fire Emblem series. On here you'll find: - WAIFU, aka We Analyze Interesting Fire Emblem Unit...

tl;dr Mekkah will no longer be working with Mangs, and is discontinuing his current projects with him.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
In a more positive note, I was not aware the they released a Drama CD series for Blazing Blade, that is super cool, would be nice to have one for Sacred Stones or Tellius

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That response is better than the one they gave yesterday but there's no mention of what he's going to do with the videos he keeps up. Is he going to scrub Mangs' name from them? Will any links to their channel be removed from said videos descriptions? Will they still be making money off of ads or will they be donating it to a charity?

I doubt they're reading this but in the off-chance that they come across this post, I am of the mind that they should delete the videos entirely.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Chaz Aria LLC has also been accused, and unless I'm reading this wrong, this time it was flat out rape:

This is why MeToo is so important - as we saw with Goose, all of the Mangs accusations and now this, if one rape/sexual assault survivor comes out, then it makes it a lot less scary for others to detail what happened to them as well.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping this is the right place to post this, please direct me to where I should post if it isn't.

It's been a good few years since I last played (but didn't finish) Awakening and Fates. I know both games have the marriage and skills mechanics, but for a no-permadeath and normal difficulty run do I need to optimally route pairings or can I pair as I prefer?

Mainly in regards to stuff like Awakening's DLC Aphothesis map which I'm not sure if it requires Galeforcing everyone or if that's more for Lunatic runs? Basically not wanting to gate myself out of stuff (either main game or DLC because I made bad choices).

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hoping this is the right place to post this, please direct me to where I should post if it isn't.

It's been a good few years since I last played (but didn't finish) Awakening and Fates. I know both games have the marriage and skills mechanics, but for a no-permadeath and normal difficulty run do I need to optimally route pairings or can I pair as I prefer?

Mainly in regards to stuff like Awakening's DLC Aphothesis map which I'm not sure if it requires Galeforcing everyone or if that's more for Lunatic runs? Basically not wanting to gate myself out of stuff (either main game or DLC because I made bad choices).

Galeforcing everyone on normal is overkill, you don't even need the kid units and in both games min maxing them is super over kill. You could attempt to make the worst child units possible and they'd still end up as really good characters.

Oct 25, 2017
playing normal with no permadeath should let the game basically play itself, galeforce is really good because of how it lets you reposition which doesn't really matter w/ no permadeath

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, by the time you get Galeforce your characters are completely overleveled, which kills the challenge further

Oct 25, 2017
I actually went back to my Sacred Stones playthrough last night. I remember why I stopped. Ephraim Chapter 14 x.x

Managed to make it through on the first try without anyone dying. I am so close to being ready to promote most of the main members of my team.

Did promote Ross during the last map to make him a little beefier to whittle down the chapter boss so that Ephraim could safely swoop in and kill him.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I actually went back to my Sacred Stones playthrough last night. I remember why I stopped. Ephraim Chapter 14 x.x

Managed to make it through on the first try without anyone dying. I am so close to being ready to promote most of the main members of my team.

Did promote Ross during the last map to make him a little beefier to whittle down the chapter boss so that Ephraim could safely swoop in and kill him.

Starting a new playthrough of it myself. This will be, I think, my fourth playthrough. I know a lot of folks don't care for the game, but I love both it and FE7, which I'll probably restart right after this.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If anything, i've seen a lot more love for FE8 in the post-Awakening era, namely for its tragic villain and yet another great soundtrack.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
If anything, i've seen a lot more love for FE8 in the post-Awakening era, namely for its tragic villain and yet another great soundtrack.

It's also much better writing than any of the 3DS games. Don't get me wrong, it's not FFT WotL, or even TO LucT, but in comparison to the dialogue in the 3DS games (especially Fates), it's Shakespeare. I loved those games, mainly Awakenings, but Fates was damned hard to sit through.

Oct 25, 2017
FE8's biggest problem is that it's very easy, but at least in comparison to what follows it's either still harder or it doesn't have pair up, probably the worst feature added to the game even over reclassing. I haven't played it as many times as 7 and it doesn't have the rock solid design of 5/6 and the writing isn't as good as 4/5/7 but I'd still probably replay it over any of the games that came after it.

Man...what I would give for another FE as good as 6...

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's also much better writing than any of the 3DS games. Don't get me wrong, it's not FFT WotL, or even TO LucT, but in comparison to the dialogue in the 3DS games (especially Fates), it's Shakespeare. I loved those games, mainly Awakenings, but Fates was damned hard to sit through.
I still maintain that the localized script was far too dry and 1:1 of the Japanese version, which did harm some of the more emotional moments, and that Fates did a better job of localizing its (frankly terrible) script but the script that Sacred Stones is derived from is much better than the one that Fates, Awakening or Shadows of Kusakihara Not Understanding Women boasted.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I still maintain that the localized script was far too dry and 1:1 of the Japanese version, which did harm some of the more emotional moments, and that Fates did a better job of localizing its (frankly terrible) script but the script that Sacred Stones is derived from is much better than the one that Fates, Awakening or Shadows of Kusakihara Not Understanding Women boasted.

I really think Fates' localization did it no favors at all. The characters really didn't need to play up their main characteristics in throw away dialogue/expressions for flavor/humor, when the script by itself already suffered from overusing some of those characteristics. That just helped making the conversations more monotonous rather than actually adding flavor when you actually read multiple conversations rather than just one or two.

Then there was cutting the different personality choices for the avatar, effectively removing the only story-related aspect of Corrin as an avatar outside of pairings. And in spite of all that the main story dialogue also still often fell to bland (and often goofy) exposition. Granted, this is due to the original script, but it just shows the localization didn't help.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA

Ah, interesting. I don't understand Japanese, but playing through it again right now, yeah, it's much, much better than the story experience of Fates.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I really think Fates' localization did it no favors at all. The characters really didn't need to play up their main characteristics in throw away dialogue/expressions for flavor/humor, when the script by itself already suffered from overusing some of those characteristics. That just helped making the conversations more monotonous rather than actually adding flavor when you actually read multiple conversations rather than just one or two.

Then there was cutting the different personality choices for the avatar, effectively removing the only story-related aspect of Corrin as an avatar outside of pairings. And in spite of all that the main story dialogue also still often fell to bland (and often goofy) exposition. Granted, this is due to the original script, but it just shows the localization didn't help.

There were some mistakes with the translation (I really don't like Effie's personality change at all), but the source was horrible with just awful awful names with Anya and Byakuya.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Oh hey, I don't think I've posted here before, just in the 3H OT.

So... what a wonderful 30th anniversary huh? Haha. I wonder if they did plan on revealing something this year before covid happened. Hopefully whatever is next for FE is one of the first announcements for their 2021 lineup. Genealogy remake or Tellius remasters is what I'm hoping for. I definitely think both are likely.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah you can tell Fates was a turning point in FE because the names aren't all pulled from random ancient cities in Europe/European mythological figures

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah you can tell Fates was a turning point in FE because the names aren't all pulled from random ancient cities in Europe/European mythological figures
Fates's writing began with the invitation of a manga writer that had no previous experience with Fire Emblem, and IS took the concepts he presented them and then fumbled them horribly.

Part of the reason Three Houses is a complete about-face from Fates is because the story and lore were conceived by people familiar with Fire Emblem at Intelligent Systems, and expanded upon by people at Koei Tecmo familiar with historical fiction and fantasy.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Anya = dark knight kingdom. Byakuya = white night (think snow) kingdom.

When used together like that there's just no subtlety at all.

tbh that lack of subtlety better reflects the game's overall writing. lol

Oh hey, I don't think I've posted here before, just in the 3H OT.

So... what a wonderful 30th anniversary huh? Haha. I wonder if they did plan on revealing something this year before covid happened. Hopefully whatever is next for FE is one of the first announcements for their 2021 lineup. Genealogy remake or Tellius remasters is what I'm hoping for. I definitely think both are likely.

I'm not sure if Tellius remasters are necessary "likely"; there's no real precedent for Fire Emblem remasters like there is for remakes (which is why Genealogy is likely).

It'd make a lot of sense to do, especially considering there'll probably be more time to fill between new entries due to HD development. The Tellius games do deserve it, having been largely set up for failure with their original releases.

But AFAIK the main source of the "Tellius remaster" smoke was Mangs' rumor video, and let's be honest, the chances of him having a legitimate source for that are... virtually non-existent.

Regardless, Genealogy's 25th anniversary is next year, so decent chance we'll see it at least announced then if it's happening.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even sure what Tellius remasters would look like given the inevitable QoL changes they'd get. (And RD needs...a lot of fixing. Just...lot.)

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
RD is my favourite haha, so it might be wishful thinking that I bring it up. But come on, Ike is so popular and a lot of new fans can't even access his games because they're so rare. They'd definitely sell much better on Switch.

For both PoR and RD I would honestly be happy with just a graphical upgrade and QoL stuff like skipping/speeding up animations. I don't want them to mess too much with anything else, but supports for RD would be welcome, and maybe more/redone voice acting. Obviously not the whole scripts but maybe some of the more important scenes and support conversations could be voiced. I'd say change certain plot elements in the later back of RD but I fear getting into rewriting territory would risk changing too much and messing it up.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
RD is my favourite haha, so it might be wishful thinking that I bring it up. But come on, Ike is so popular and a lot of new fans can't even access his games because they're so rare. They'd definitely sell much better on Switch.

For both PoR and RD I would honestly be happy with just a graphical upgrade and QoL stuff like skipping/speeding up animations. I don't want them to mess too much with anything else, but supports for RD would be welcome, and maybe more/redone voice acting. Obviously not the whole scripts but maybe some of the more important scenes and support conversations could be voiced. I'd say change certain plot elements in the later back of RD but I fear getting into rewriting territory would risk changing too much and messing it up.
Ike is popular.

But man, I did not like Radiant Dawn. That game was 100% a chore in the end for me and while they could leave the basic story itself alone, I'd hope that they'd add proper support conversations at the very least.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Fates's writing began with the invitation of a manga writer that had no previous experience with Fire Emblem, and IS took the concepts he presented them and then fumbled them horribly.

Part of the reason Three Houses is a complete about-face from Fates is because the story and lore were conceived by people familiar with Fire Emblem at Intelligent Systems, and expanded upon by people at Koei Tecmo familiar with historical fiction and fantasy.

That's promising to read. I haven't gotten to the game yet (our son has our Switch with him at college), but look forward to it even more now.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's promising to read. I haven't gotten to the game yet (our son has our Switch with him at college), but look forward to it even more now.
As somebody who adored the GBA FEs, and really did not enjoy the stories in the DS ones, 3H was a huge breath of fresh air. Such an improvement in story and writing and character design.