• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to you both. I'm guessing I can't exactly break my playthrough either way. I don't even have access to obtaining seals yet so I'm not sure how someone would even be able to promote early on.

Oh, by the way, in case you missed it a handful of posts up, this seems relevant to your interests:

.....yeah, never Second Seal from a promoted class into an unpromoted class

experience formula (and others) can be found here: https://serenesforest.net/awakening/miscellaneous/calculations/

tl;dr every time you Second Seal you get half your level at the time added to your internal level

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I just read that you should always promote before you reclass.

Ugh, I forget exactly what seals are in Awakening. Aren't there seals that allow you to reclass into alternative promotions, rather than resetting to the base class? I imagine that's what they're talking about.

The reasoning is probably related to class abilities, which are learned at specific levels. For instance, if you got Frederick to level 5/15 Great Knight and learned GK's abilities, that would be more efficient than changing his class to something else without learning his default promotion's abilities.

(That's all working from my more recent Fates memory, mind you, so levels and such may be off? Concept should be the same.)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm finally picking Awakening back up after not playing it (hard mode) since launch. I've read so many conflicting opinions on leveling up base characters at 10 and promoted at 15, while many other people say you'll lose the extra stats you'd get from levels 10-20. It's kinda funny (and ridiculous) how many varying opinions are available on this mechanic that really shouldn't be hard to figure out.
You promote at level 20, unless the character is maxing a bunch of stats earlier than that. Class change (second seal) at level 10 if you want to go to another base class before promotion (if you class changed before, you can promote at level 10 since you'll effectively have 20 levels). Avoid class changing from a promoted class to an unpromoted one unless you're just level/skill grinding. You can go from a promoted class to another at level 10 (promoted), but you might want to wait until level 15 since it's when you get the final skill.

The people recommending promoting as early as possible either are grinding levels and collecting skills, playing on normal, where the enemies are very weak and the level up penalty isn't that big or abusing pair up and the avatar's skill to basically only level up two characters. Promoting early will cripple your growth later if you just want to play through the main chapters, not grind experience dlc or random high level battles due to the extra levels adding up.

Last edited:

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Donnel is lvl 18 and I'm only on chapter 8. I read you don't have the ability to purchase seals until somewhere around chapter 12 or 13. I guess once I hit lvl 20 with him I shouldn't use him because I'll be wasting experience.

I'm sure none of this will matter much to me in the long run. Before I put the game down, I had already promoted Robin (can't remember at what level) with a seal they give you early on. Unfortunately, the game doesn't convey who's been promoted or at what level.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Actually, Donnel has a special issue since he can't actually "promote" from his base class (villager). It's a special class with no promotion, which means you can level it up to level 30, but unlike other special classes (Manakete, Tagel, Lodestar, Dread Figther, Bride), its base stats are bellow unpromoted classes (and its caps are low) rather than on par with promoted ones. What you want to do with him is give him a second seal to turn him into a mercenary, and from there you promote him after he hits level 10 again. Anyway, you'll get a few master seals before actually being able to buy them freely.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Actually, Donnel has a special issue since he can't actually "promote" from his base class (villager). It's a special class with no promotion, which means you can level it up to level 30, but unlike other special classes (Manakete, Tagel, Lodestar, Dread Figther, Bride), its base stats are bellow unpromoted classes (and its caps are low) rather than on par with promoted ones. What you want to do with him is give him a second seal to turn him into a mercenary, and from there you promote him after he hits level 10 again. Anyway, you'll get a few master seals before actually being able to buy them freely.
And I'm guessing I don't want to use the second seal on him until I hit lvl 30?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And I'm guessing I don't want to use the second seal on him until I hit lvl 30?
No, you could have used the second seal as early as level 10 (if you don't care about the villager's level 15 skill). There's no reason to wait for level 30 considering villager's low caps. The main advantage is that from there (level 30) you could class change straight to a promoted class even using just a second seal, but mercenary has some decent skills especially considering Donnel's high luck, so you should go with mercenary first. There's also the issue of weapon availability (Donnel's other class options give him sword or axes, not lances, so his lance level is wasted).

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
What's the general requirement to class change straight to a promoted class? I didn't know that was a thing. And how do I get a second seal when I'm only on chapter 8?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It can only be done by characters who have special classes that can go up to level 30. So, only Donnel (Villager), Taguel and Manaketes in the main game, or Marth (Lodestar) and any character with the Dreadfighter or Bride classes if you buy DLC (you need to finish some special chapters and then get their class change seals that can be given to any character - dreadfighters are male only and Brides female only).

There's a second seal on chapter 8. Just visit the lower right village to get it. The middle village has a Master Seal too,

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
wrong wrong wrong WRONG

promoting at max level is rarely ever ideal, granted in Awakening you tend to ram level 20 unpromoted so fast it may not be an issue anyway, but in other games (that aren't Tellius cause lol BEXP) promoting somewhere in the mid-teens (or even immediately) is better

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I actually restarted my awakening game since the last page because I wanted to get into building a stronger roster from the start. I'm already back to chapter 16 and my units are so much more powerful than my first play through. I'm having a lot of fun playing this way. I knew from the start which characters I wanted to use and I made sure they got most of the exp each battle. My Virion sniper is an absolute beast.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I like Mae a lot so far! And no wonder, she's voiced by Cherami Leigh.

But why does Celica's sprite have blue when her art doesn't have any blue anywhere on her outfit? Am I missing something? Is she supposed to be wearing something different, considering some of the in game art panels have her outfit looking different than what I've seen in art?

Or am I just crazy?

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
It's a convention from (at least) the GBA games for friendly map sprites to be blue and enemy map sprites red, even when that wasn't strictly accurate to the concept art, portraits, or battle sprites.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of sprites, I hope that if FE Switch keeps sprites, we get something on the level of Heroes. The amount of detail in those sprites are pretty amazing.

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
I like Mae a lot so far! And no wonder, she's voiced by Cherami Leigh.

But why does Celica's sprite have blue when her art doesn't have any blue anywhere on her outfit? Am I missing something? Is she supposed to be wearing something different, considering some of the in game art panels have her outfit looking different than what I've seen in art?

Or am I just crazy?
Every FE since the original on the NES has used blue for the player characters regardless of their actual colors. (and red for enemies.)

In related trivia, early pre-release screens for Awakening showed Lissa with a yellow map sprite to match her dress. It also meant the only way to tell her allegiance was to look at her HP bar, so it's an ease of visibility thing

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my second playthrough of Awakening on hard. I had a pretty good team by the end. A few of my couples we're basically untouchable in the last few battles.

I saw that Fates is 30% off on the eShop so I got that, not sure I want to start it right away though.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my second playthrough of Awakening on hard. I had a pretty good team by the end. A few of my couples we're basically untouchable in the last few battles.

I saw that Fates is 30% off on the eShop so I got that, not sure I want to start it right away though.
Which one did you get? Birthright or Conquest? Both?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
In Act 3 of Echoes, kept playing as Celica because I'm loving her party WAY more than the dweebs with Alm. Plus she's recruiting all the good looking males of the cast. I killed Deen so I'm looking forward to Sonya. I hope she's a better mage than Boye who kind of sucks. Mae, on the other hand, is my go-to killing machine. After Mae and Boye reach support A I think I'm gonna need to bench him.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Sonya is way too underleveled to be of any real use by that point in the game, especially since mages as a class are nearly useless by then

Say what? Mae is like my main killer, how are they useless?

Also, question: some weapons have the option to be forged into something else. Should I do it? Is it random? Any charts online about what weapon turns into what and if it's better, etc.?

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Sonya is way too underleveled to be of any real use by that point in the game, especially since mages as a class are nearly useless by then

I disagree. For the average player, who isn't abusing dread fighters, mages will still be useful. He seems to enjoy them, and Sonya has a unique spell list and will have a decent window of reasonable effectiveness.

Now, post game? Sure, I didn't continue using Sonya, at least not often.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Completely random, but I just discovered that Thracia 776 was released in 1999/2000??? On the SNES??? Geez. Why so late? Crazy, honestly. It almost released after the N64 was dead.

Jan 7, 2018
Completely random, but I just discovered that Thracia 776 was released in 1999/2000??? On the SNES??? Geez. Why so late? Crazy, honestly. It almost released after the N64 was dead.
Thracia wasn't initially released as a regular retail game. Quoting from the Fire Emblem wiki: "Thracia 776 was originally released on September 1, 1999 through the Nintendo Power service. This Japan-exclusive service allowed people to use writable game cartridges to purchase and download game ROMs from kiosks in select retail locations." It was a well received game, so it got a regular release in 2000.

Despite the later release, it sort of makes sense that it is a SNES game, since Genealogy of the Holy War, which it's a side story of, is a SNES game as well, the fact that it was a game made for fans of the series rather than the overall public, and the Nintendo 64 being sort of a failure in Japan. (sold about the same as the wii u there)

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Question for Echoes sidequests: is it better to keep those shields you find that some NPCs ask for? They seem pretty good and I dunno if some stat boosting items are worth trading them over for.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyday I'm growing more excited for the new Fire Emblem. With Echo's presentation and story, and Fates' gameplay, IS can make something special.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Palla and Clair are so painfully the same voice actress. Like I can hear the slightest difference for Palla but like, yeah, the VA barely tried to make them sound different.

Are the trio popular characters? I love them so far and think it's super cool that they've appeared in three games!

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Just beat Echoes.

That final battle is rough, isn't it? Mila's Turnwheel doesn't help much when a lord dies and you get an instant game over. Pro-tip: the arcanist by Duma has Medusa, the reduce-to-1-HP spell, so don't leave units exposed in his attack range.

I liked the way the final blow went, though. Reminded me of the Radiant Dawn finale; if the game determines that the final boss will be defeated, it runs some dialogue before the to start and then has a unique attack animation.

My non-lord MVP was Python. Bows are so useful in this game!

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
FE Warriors remixes is some real shit. I couldn't have imagine orchestra pieces could be this lit when mixed with some electric instrument.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat Echoes.

That final battle is rough, isn't it? Mila's Turnwheel doesn't help much when a lord dies and you get an instant game over. Pro-tip: the arcanist by Duma has Medusa, the reduce-to-1-HP spell, so don't leave units exposed in his attack range.

I liked the way the final blow went, though. Reminded me of the Radiant Dawn finale; if the game determines that the final boss will be defeated, it runs some dialogue before the to start and then has a unique attack animation.

My non-lord MVP was Python. Bows are so useful in this game!
Yeah the final battle was a pain, but then I just decided to send in DF Gray, Saber, and Alm to the front and kept everyone else in the back and spammed healing and was able to steamroll through the map haha. Gray and Saber were pretty much MVPs for me.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently replaying Radiant Dawn and damn, it was already one of my favorites but I don't remember it being THIS good. Just finished the Crimea story and I think Elincia's Gambit might be my favorite FE chapter ever. Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game falls apart near the ending unfortunately.

Been a while since my first playthrough, so I don't remember the ending. But the first two acts (and the beginning of the third one) have been so great that I'll excuse a poor final act as long as it's not a disaster.
One thing that annoys me though are the "Other Units", which you can't command. Skrimir's annoying army stole too many EXP. Hope they contain this stuff in the remaining chapters.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool but were there any big conflicts between the countries during Greil's youth? I don't remember much.

Probably not. The main plotline of their lives was that they had to flee Daein after Elena was given the medallion by a heron that Ashnard had captured.

They're not going to do a prequel, and that's fine, I'd rather do new things.

If you WERE going to do a prequel though, I'd probably center it on Altina, the first apostle who wielded both Alondite and Ragnell like a fucking badass and sealed Yune away. By far the raddest FE character we've never been able to play as.

latest

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Probably not. The main plotline of their lives was that they had to flee Daein after Elena was given the medallion by a heron that Ashnard had captured.

They're not going to do a prequel, and that's fine, I'd rather do new things.

If you WERE going to do a prequel though, I'd probably center it on Altina, the first apostle who wielded both Alondite and Ragnell like a fucking badass and sealed Yune away. By far the raddest FE character we've never been able to play as.

latest

Heck yeah!

Wonder how dual-wielding would work, mechanically. Add both weapons' Mt to your Str to calculate damage? Maybe it would be a skill that only unlocks for her in the late game.