• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Swordsman to Landsknecht isn't hugely justified either, but it's a similar case where unnecessary flourishes at least make the class names more easily distinguishable.
Yeah, in fact that reminds that i hate the name spear fighter/master in Fates, it sounds so lame

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Sounding lames is better then nonsensical. Swordsman/woman to sword master is succint and descriptive.

At least give it a Mongolian flair because swordsmen from elibe were from fake Mongolia

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sounding lames is better then nonsensical. Swordsman/woman to sword master is succint and descriptive.

At least give it a Mongolian flair because swordsmen from elibe were from fake Mongolia
I disagree, I like when classes have different names, when your classes are just: axe/spear/sword fighter, it becomes too generic

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
After a long break I finally beat Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I feel so conflicted about this game because it does some things so right and many things so wrong for my taste. The dungeon exploration was okay, it's a breath of fresh air but not something I would necessarily like to see returning. The writing and voice acting were excellent, I also loved most of the character designs and the fact that battles actually take place where you had the encounter on the map was a nice touch. Visually I thought it was a step up from the other 3DS games even though I was personally okay with the art styles of Awakening and Fates. But in terms of gameplay.. Shadows of Valentia was slog. Never mind that in the final chapters all your characters are basically immortal gods, the game seemed almost devoid of strategy and few character stats even really mattered. People play Fire Emblem games for different reasons; I often read strong opinions based on how the story was perceived while the story to me is the least important part of a Fire Emblem game. I like to strategize; see if I can finish the game without cavalry units or with as many archers in the party as possible. Often I replay a game multiple times and play on different difficulty settings but I see no point in replaying Shadows of Valentia because I don't see a valid reason to go with different units. I mean, you can abuse powerful abilities to warp because there's no penalty if I keep healing the unit.

I don't know.. sorry if I come across as frustrated but I really wanted to like this game so much and it's just not what I personally want from a Fire Emblem game.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After a long break I finally beat Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I feel so conflicted about this game because it does some things so right and many things so wrong for my taste. The dungeon exploration was okay, it's a breath of fresh air but not something I would necessarily like to see returning. The writing and voice acting were excellent, I also loved most of the character designs and the fact that battles actually take place where you had the encounter on the map was a nice touch. Visually I thought it was a step up from the other 3DS games even though I was personally okay with the art styles of Awakening and Fates. But in terms of gameplay.. Shadows of Valentia was slog. Never mind that in the final chapters all your characters are basically immortal gods, the game seemed almost devoid of strategy and few character stats even really mattered. People play Fire Emblem games for different reasons; I often read strong opinions based on how the story was perceived while the story to me is the least important part of a Fire Emblem game. I like to strategize; see if I can finish the game without cavalry units or with as many archers in the party as possible. Often I replay a game multiple times and play on different difficulty settings but I see no point in replaying Shadows of Valentia because I don't see a valid reason to go with different units. I mean, you can abuse powerful abilities to warp because there's no penalty if I keep healing the unit.

I don't know.. sorry if I come across as frustrated but I really wanted to like this game so much and it's just not what I personally want from a Fire Emblem game.
Your take is similar to a lot of FE fan's opinions of Shadow of Valentia. There is a reason Gaiden was the black sheep of the series; SoV updates the game a lot but doesnt really change the things about it that made it the black sheep in the first place.

Personally I liked it a lot but I wouldnt want the next FE game to play like it.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017

It's probably the weakest game they've made in a long time, gameplay wise. I think most people here feel that way. General consensus is that the production values are the highest they've ever been while the game is ultimately held back by being too slavishly devoted to matching the original's gameplay.

However, it never really made me upset because I saw it for what it is: a remake of the original. I'm not happy with it in the game, but I'm not worried that this is the new direction for the series or anything.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
...But in terms of gameplay.. Shadows of Valentia was slog. Never mind that in the final chapters all your characters are basically immortal gods, the game seemed almost devoid of strategy and few character stats even really mattered. People play Fire Emblem games for different reasons; I often read strong opinions based on how the story was perceived while the story to me is the least important part of a Fire Emblem game. I like to strategize; see if I can finish the game without cavalry units or with as many archers in the party as possible. Often I replay a game multiple times and play on different difficulty settings but I see no point in replaying Shadows of Valentia because I don't see a valid reason to go with different units. I mean, you can abuse powerful abilities to warp because there's no penalty if I keep healing the unit. ...

Yeah, I never quite finished it. Almost did, but took a break from it and have yet to return. Pretty much for the reason of it being a "slog" as you say. For me, it was mainly the lack of weapon triangle and the map design. It just felt more like a chore to play than a challenge. But I do agree that the presentation was really good, probably the best of the three Fire Emblems on 3DS. It has some nice qualities about it, but just wasn't a very fun FE for me.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people talk about lords and how they dilike or like them, but what about Azura?
I really dislike Azura and it always impressed me that only Corrin gets flack when I think she is much worse. I guess being a self-insert is also a factor why he/she is hated more but most of the criticisms he/she receives I think are also things Azura is guilty for

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people talk about lords and how they dilike or like them, but what about Azura?
I really dislike Azura and it always impressed me that only Corrin gets flack when I think she is much worse, I guess being a self-insert is also a factor whyhe/she is hated more but I most of the criticisms he/she receives I think are also things Azura is guilty for

Well, that would require critical thinking and we all know how bad the FE fandom is on that front.

It's easier to dump on Corrin because everyone dumps on Corrin; you don't even need to make an argument because it's the status quo.

But yeah, Azura's pretty bad. She's one of the more egregious examples of being a walking plot device and is responsible for most of the worst moments in the story. She doesn't even have the appeal of being able to turn into a cool dragon like Corrin or whatever. Her supports are mostly forgettable as well.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Corrin is at least likeable. Azura never seems to click and feels separate from the rest of the game at times.

As a side note, it would have been great to get that theater from fates as a stage in smash. Boats as platforms would have been cool. Oh well.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Err Im not sure if Corrin is likeable perse.

Azura is kinda fucked hard by how stupid the curse is, so I don't hate her. Just extremely indifferent.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Err Im not sure if Corrin is likeable perse.

Azura is kinda fucked hard by how stupid the curse is, so I don't hate her. Just extremely indifferent.

Azura has stupid moments even outside of the curse, like misusing the crystal ball to reveal Garon's identity just to Corrin or getting frightened for real and complaining to Corrin when they attempt to fake being evil to have less opposition within Nohr, saying she can't lose her purity. There's also the path split in Revelations when she suggests they should take out captains of both armies to get their attention and is seemingly surprised when they only managed to turn everyone against them. She's meant to be mature and decisive, but the main story writing several times makes her look really dumb.

At least Corin being dumb is just part of their character, with Azura that goes directly against the image they wanted to give her.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've been (slowly bc of starting grad school) playing FE4 again, currently most of the way through chapter 2.

This game is fucking wild, man. I don't know how it was ever made. It's dark but not just because like, everyone gets crispy and there's a death god cult. The whole plot is just this feeling that Sigurd and co. are just way in over their heads and are in a world with forces they don't understand. Knowing the big twist only makes the first half feel even more tragic and foreboding in a way I don't think I've ever seen a game tackle.

The actual gameplay is janky as fuck but it really does make the game feel like an epic in a way none of the other games do. The map design isn't really that interesting and taking a hundred turns to walk through a forest is pretty boring and like, fighting big waves of enemies is kind of dull, but it also does give a sense of scale that's really impressive. I don't know how this game was made but it's incredible that it exists.

Also Finn is a lot better than I remember him being, for some reason I thought he was basically worthless until he got the brave lance but he's way better than Alec and Noish from the start.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Please yes. The games were never localized and I know you can play them with a patch, I did. But I would prefer to replay them with the modern touches. Like what they did with Echoes.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I would also love a continuation of an Echoes series of remakes, perhaps alternating with new titles, but only assuming that working with the higher quality assets on Switch isn't prohibitive to their development time.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Remakes with lower budget and that reuse most of the latter installment assets are ok
and Genealogy absolutely needs a remake, the GBA games that can survive some years without it

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I knew Nakanishi, Nintendo director for echoes wants fe6.

I would definitely love either jugdral (the voice actors that they got for the Japanese cast are incredible but are on the older side).

I think I would prefer a PoR remake over fe6-8. As I really do think PoR would be much better served by a much better engine then it got.

That being said I do think remakes make sense as they help fill in the production gaps.

Oct 25, 2017
why remake the GBA games at all, they'd just look uglier and add unnecessary mechanics

I would definitely love either jugdral (the voice actors that they got for the Japanese cast are incredible but are on the older side).

I think I would prefer a PoR remake over fe6-8. As I really do think PoR would be much better served by a much better engine then it got.

That being said I do think remakes make sense as they help fill in the production gaps.
a Path of Radiance remake sound way more appealing than any other remake ideas. they could make skills not shit, make the game harder, and it would benefit the most from new visuals

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
First time noticing this thread, Fire Emblem is one of my favorite franchises and a system seller to me :P

Fire Emblem Echoes was a fantastic game, I really liked it after being disappointed in Awakening and Fates. the story had those political elements that I always loved, characters were more believable, and the gameplay had a great mix between old and new being a remake to such a strange title.

Three Houses is probably my most wanted game right now :P

and after that, I'll be waiting for a FE4 remake!

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
After Echoes, I'm not sure I want to see what would happen with the women in FE4 if Kusakihara directs a remake.

Also not sure how interested I'd be in the gameplay of a FE4 remake if it follows Echoes' approach, haha.
At least that will mean when we reach FE5, it will be amazing.
why remake the GBA games at all, they'd just look uglier and add unnecessary mechanics
They need Echoes quality soundtracks.
There's a lot of good stuff there held back a ton by the GBA soundchip.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Oh I agree, Tellius need remakes much more than GBA games, the engine are too slow. But I think we can wait until Switch 2 for them

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're due for an FE4 remake

Even the hack director and scenario writers fuck it up with their alterations, the source material is that good

(Well the gameplay could do with some touching up, but...)

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like FE2 didn't have a whole lot there, so there was more room for interpretation (Both good and bad). FE4 has a fleshed out story with fleshed out characters and dialogue. I'm not sure there's much they could futz with.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
If there is a remake... I know I'm probably in the minority. But I don't want drastic changes to the main gameplay.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about finally picking up FE6, but I'll probably still not go through with it since it's probably near impossible to not get a pirated copy. GBA and DS are such a pain to buy games for.

For anything older I'll still wait for remakes. I don't collect SNES carts and have fully transitioned everything pre-2000 to digital with the virtual console and PS1 classics.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Deirdre already lacks a ton of agency in what happens to her, so there's not much worse you could do.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have them translate and rerelease games like FE4-FE6 than remake them. I imagine it would be much more cost effective, but I'm no businessman.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have them translate and rerelease games like FE4-FE6 than remake them. I imagine it would be much more cost effective, but I'm no businessman.
Nah, the modernization of the gameplay more than make up for the downgrade in the story
And we dont even know if the story will ne downgraded

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the modernization of the gameplay more than make up for the downgrade in the story
At least in FE6's case, I don't think the gameplay needs to be modernized much. Maybe a couple QOL tweaks brought down from FE7 and FE8.

I get it more for FE4/5, I've bounced off those any time I've tried to play them, though most of that is because I didn't have a controller.

Oct 25, 2017
what does modernizing the gameplay mean though

the GBA games are perfect mechanically and don't need changes (and I doubt they're really gonna fuck around with balance), FE5 is basically perfect except for movement stars and that one gaiden map with the invisible warp tiles, FE4 is jankier but I don't know how you fix it without compromising the story. I guess having nicer menus and UI with the SNES games would be good but that's basically all I'd ask for

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
If modernization is just speeding up the turn battles, adding turn wheel, and being able to highlight enemies. Basically qol of stuff, that's all good. But if it's adding gameplay mechanics like pair up, then nah I'm good.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If modernization is just speeding up the turn battles, adding turn wheel, and being able to highlight enemies. Basically qol of stuff, that's all good. But if it's adding gameplay mechanics like pair up, then nah I'm good.
The former, I said mordernizing not changing

Apollo's Sun

Apr 25, 2018
what does modernizing the gameplay mean though

the GBA games are perfect mechanically and don't need changes (and I doubt they're really gonna fuck around with balance), FE5 is basically perfect except for movement stars and that one gaiden map with the invisible warp tiles, FE4 is jankier but I don't know how you fix it without compromising the story. I guess having nicer menus and UI with the SNES games would be good but that's basically all I'd ask for

I would say FE5 does deserves some tweaks especially on the whole staff missing side and some of the unit requirements.