• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think 3 houses might have 3 routes but I doubt they will 2 games again

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If there are multiple games, they still have lots of time to announce it. Nintendo only announced Fates having multiple versions in April 2015, just before the June 2015 release.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll just ask here. What do you people think, will we get one version of the game or two like Fates? With a name like "three houses" I hope one. And inb4 somebody says three...
It's just a really bad name; the Japanese version has a lot more meaning behind its name than "there are three main powers on this continent that will play a role in the story with various characters pertaining to each main power".

No way they're doing two or three versions again.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a really bad name; the Japanese version has a lot more meaning behind its name than "there are three main powers on this continent that will play a role in the story with various characters pertaining to each main power".
The japanese name is also terrible to translate so the fault relies more on who chose the japanese name than the localization imo

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Well I hope you're right. Had no idea about the translation. What exactly was the japanese name? "The four seasons" aka "Fire emblem: Winter, Spring, Summer and Winter"?lol

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well I hope you're right. Had no idea about the translation. What exactly was the japanese name? "The four seasons" aka "Fire emblem: Winter, Spring, Summer and Winter"?lol
Translating directly, it'd be actually Fire Emblem: Wind, Flower, Snow, Moon. However, those are actually a reference to an old Chinese expression which came to be known in Japan as referencing the beauty of nature, with each element there referencing one season - Winds of Summer, Flowers of Spring, Snow of Winter and Moon of Autumn.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
They've could've called it Fire Emblem: Beauty of Seasons and then later release the sequel Fire Emblem: Beauty of Ages.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Translating directly, it'd be actually Fire Emblem: Wind, Flower, Snow, Moon. However, those are actually a reference to an old Chinese expression which came to be known in Japan as referencing the beauty of nature, with each element there referencing one season - Winds of Summer, Flowers of Spring, Snow of Winter and Moon of Autumn.
Oh so that's the problem. Interesting name, The tree houses is doll next to this. Gotta agree with NSESN here, 4 seasons would have been better then, heh.
Thanks guys for answering! :)

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo made the right call changing the name to Three Houses in the west. Three Houses gives it a cooler Game of Thrones type vibe that westerns can relate to easily.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses is a much better name than Awakening, which really conveyed absolutely nothing about what it was.

3H gives an immediate feeling of political conflict, which, yeah, calls to mind Game of Thrones.

I don't say that to deride Awakening, but FE titles have been rather generic or meaningless outside of Genealogy. At least 3H tells us something meaningful.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've largely come around on the name, but unless that next trailer is a knock out, I have a weird feeling this game isn't going to do very well.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I expect it to be the best selling Fire Emblem game to date. Almost every single first party game seems to be success for Nintendo so far on the Switch, and it's still releasing pretty early on the Switch's life span so the library of games isn't that big.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've largely come around on the name, but unless that next trailer is a knock out, I have a weird feeling this game isn't going to do very well.
In line with what theprodigy said, I think the only way it doesn't do well is if they totally drop the ball on the marketing side and treat it like a C-level franchise.

Which seems unlikely, if only because FEH exists now

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses is a much better name than Awakening, which really conveyed absolutely nothing about what it was.

I'd put that sort of directly descriptive relevance behind sounding appealing and concise on their own merits - I'd much rather a title be vaguely appropriate and attractive sounding (Awakening, Fates, Heroes, Echoes without the subtitle all work in this regard) rather than sacrifice that to be more descriptive but still clunkier as a result (unless you're going in the complete opposite direction for comic effect like "Summertime High School: A Young Man's Notes—How a New Exchange Student Like Myself Ran Into His Childhood Friend on the School Tour, Then for Some Reason Became Super-Popular with the Girls for His Daily Scoops on the School Photography Club Even Though He Only Takes Panty Shots, and What He Thinks as He Goes on Dates During His Summer of Island School Life") - the title in itself is a piece of marketing, and Three Houses makes it awkward to even refer to the game when talking about it.

The title, visual direction and marketing certainly won't sink the game, which is guaranteed to be a success regardless, but it also doesn't mean they're the optimal approach to take.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This game will definitely do well in the west unless IS sabotage themselves that isn't hard to happen.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
You're all probably right, but that first trailer felt like such a dud compared to previous reveals. I got tellius era advertising flashbacks.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
The cgi was really bad. made for a bad presentation.

Compare it to Fates cgi.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fates was shown really close to the japanese release (less than 6 months iirc), 3 Houses will launch at least 7 months after its announcement

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
The cgi was really bad. made for a bad presentation.

Compare it to Fates cgi.

Fates also had those rad renders of pegasus knights and monsters and castle sieges. It was a strong first reveal. Plus it was the lead video in a direct. It made a strong impression.

This just felt like 2000's era Intellegent Systems. Just like, "oh yeah another one of those FE games."

Lots of time though. Maybe they can do something more interesting for the next showcase.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
So as someone who have only played Awakening and Birthright, decided to try to catch up on the series before Three Houses.

Currently playing Fire Emblem GBA (just finished Lyn's story, which I believe tutorial part of the game), any tips on how to manage limited exp and money (Awakening/Birthright spoiled me....) ? I worry I messed up and ended up with broken playthrough...

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I worry I messed up and ended up with broken playthrough...

You shouldn't be able to mess yourself up too badly.

So I've been on a GBA FE binge lately and I booted up this copy I bought off ebay a little while back which still had some guy's absolutely catastrophic save file on it. The previous owner had stopped on the final chapter with an incredibly sparse roster - nearly every single soldier who could die without resulting in a Game Over was dead.

My brother and I managed to do what the previous owner could not and finished his doomed game file once and for all, and the epilogue commentary the game offered was much better than I could have hoped for.

Merlinus' Battle Log dialogue invites you to consider being a merchant instead, and the end game epilogue questions how you even managed to beat the game in the first place.

tumblr_oc8ifxjtYE1sqp17lo2_1280.jpg

I can see how it might seem a bit intimidating to have to worry about how you're spending money compared to other entries, but if you just focus on topping up weapons low on uses you should have no problems with it.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
You shouldn't be able to mess yourself up too badly.

tumblr_oc8ifxjtYE1sqp17lo2_1280.jpg

I can see how it might seem a bit intimidating to have to worry about how you're spending money compared to other entries, but if you just focus on topping up weapons low on uses you should have no problems with it.

Okay, after doing several Eliwood mission (which is tougher than anything in Lyn chapter), I'm starting to get a hang on managing EXP between units. It's actually kinda cool, adding another layer of stratregy and decision in combat.

Also lmao at the prepromoted Paladin, is it a tradition in the series to include a prepromoted super strong unit early in the game ? I should not bother levelling him right ?

Also I feel like the story so far seems to be much better paced than Awakening and Fates. There aren't any awkward jump between events, somehow it reminds me more of FFTactics than the 3DS FE.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, maybe the guy was doing a bare minimum run.

Also lmao at the prepromoted Paladin, is it a tradition in the series to include a prepromoted super strong unit early in the game ? I should not bother levelling him right ?

Also I feel like the story so far seems to be much better paced than Awakening and Fates. There aren't any awkward jump between events, somehow it reminds me more of FFTactics than the 3DS FE.
Yeah. The pre-promoted unit given early on is given in pretty much every game. You can level him up if you want, he's not a terrible unit and he's only going to make the game easier for you early on. I don't like using Marcus since I usually get a promoted Sain a few chapters later and I prefer Kent and Sain over Lowen and Marcus. Nothing stopping you from using all four though, paladins are pretty good units in general.

And yeah the story is leagues above the mess that is Fates, and I prefer FE7's story and characters over Awakening's.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Well FE 7 ranked on the top rpg list. Since it ranked so early is a chance PoR and Awakening ranking higher than it, that is if they rank at all. I'd be surprised if PoR ranks higher, always felt like 7 got more love. Wouldn't be surprised about Awakening since it pushed the series to mainstream.
Don't expect any other title to show up.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well FE 7 ranked on the top rpg list. Since it ranked so early is a chance PoR and Awakening ranking higher than it, that is if they rank at all. I'd be surprised if PoR ranks higher, always felt like 7 got more love. Wouldn't be surprised about Awakening since it pushed the series to mainstream.
Don't expect any other title to show up.
FE7 is more popular but I always felt the Tellius games(or at least PoR) are received better

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's more people who actually have played FE7 and enjoy it, while 9/10 fans are just louder and more fanatical.

This is ERA though, where niche groups are more pronounced and active.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's more people who actually have played FE7 and enjoy it, while 9/10 fans are just louder and more fanatical.

This is ERA though, where niche groups are more pronounced and active.
I dunno, iirc the r/fe rankings says something different, I don't remember who posted the rankings tho, may Drax

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I can ever go back to 9 or even 10 after Awakening. the QoL advancements have been too dramatic.

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
Yep, PoR being so dreadfully slow is one of the reasons it's one of the FEs that took me the longest to finish.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't just talking about the animation, the maps are bad and boring*

*by FE standards. FE gameplay is fundamentally strong enough that I don't really dislike any of the games in the series

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I agree with Path of Radiance having bad levels at all. It certainly has more interesting maps than Blazing Blade (up until maybe the last third / quarter of the game, where things do start to drop off). I'd probably argue that it's the best game in the series up to that point minus Thracia based on the strength of the first 70% of its runtime, even with the slow animations.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I agree with Path of Radiance having bad levels at all. It certainly has more interesting maps than Blazing Blade (up until maybe the last third / quarter of the game, where things do start to drop off). I'd probably argue that it's the best game in the series up to that point minus Thracia based on the strength of the first 70% of its runtime, even with the slow animations.
but it's so easy tho, at least Blazing Blade has some challenging maps

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Awakening's maps were bad, I can remember a few. Unless I'm mistaken, it's been a while since I last played it, all the maps were route all the enemies. There was no variety in the objectives.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
PoR is mindnumbingly slow and also has laguz which alot of people don't mind but some do mind when 7 and 8 don't have them.

I would say that PoR is very mixed in its reception compared to 7, like even PKGaming and I don't really hate 7. But the people that love por LOVE por.

I do think Awakening's worst maps were 100% ripped from gaiden though.

I don't think I can ever go back to 9 or even 10 after Awakening. the QoL advancements have been too dramatic.

I find it very hard to go back to Awakening after Echoes as well. QoL has skyrocketed during the 3ds era.

Last edited:

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Awakening's maps had some variation. The story maps, in general, were pretty uninteresting - with a few exceptions. There were some great paralogue maps, though.

I just personally never loved pair up. It's a mechanic that's never quite felt right to me.

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Awakening is the highest ranked in the poll which is unsurprising. PoR being higher than 7 is. Don't expect any other titles to show up.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is sad that people care so much about story so Conquest will never have a chance