• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Fates had the better cgi. The pegasus knight horde looked awful in the Three Houses/Four Seasons trailer.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Kyle and Forde have some of the absolute best red/green cavalier designs in the series, IMO. Compare them to the mechanically superior Kent and Sain, and they look worlds more creative and colorful. Kent and Sain are about as vanilla as you can get, aesthetically.
Wrong. I'll have you know Sain is the best unit in all the categories. The greatest. :o

Speaking if bland cavaliers the duo from FE6 really look generic to me, but I still like their designs lol

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Wrong. I'll have you know Sain is the best unit in all the categories. The greatest. :o

Speaking if bland cavaliers the duo from FE6 really look generic to me, but I still like their designs lol
I was gonna call them generic, but I realized I love them too. They are as basic as "red guy and green guy" can get but they're like... the zenith of that basic design trope, haha

zarathusta

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Hey guys l'm enjoying echoes story and characters a lot. But the maps are dreadful whats some good advice for them

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing conquest again this week on chapter 12 right now, this game is honestly too good. I skipped echoes cause it was like "Why wouldnt i just play conquest again?", i hope three houses can be this good.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna call them generic, but I realized I love them too. They are as basic as "red guy and green guy" can get but they're like... the zenith of that basic design trope, haha
Least favorite have to be the Awakening Duo. Just not a fan of Sully's design and Stalh is kinda forgettable lol
Don't even think I even used any one of them in my initial play through.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Shadow Dragon!

Gameplay wise it was pretty nice. There's some nice map design, and merging itens should be in very FE game ever. I don't like reclassing so I can't comment on that, and on normal the forge wasn't really required so I kinda forgot it existed. I used the mod to always go to the gaiden chapters and I think they're pretty nice despite the stupid requirements.

Aside from that though...
The game is ugly, and I could see that before starting the game. But I gotta say, nothing prepared me for Medeus' dragon form. That was the lamest thing ever, I almost fell from my chair from laughing.
The growth rates were super wacky. This was the first time I saw 0 growth level ups and I've must had at least 20 of those.
The story was pretty basic (but kinda expected since it was the first one), but the lack of supports (conversations) bothered me a lot. It was especially bad in the case of Marth x Caeda. After the first chapter they never interact again and than on the epilogue suddenly they're in love. Caeda was obvious from the get go (tho since I knew about them beforehand I might be biased), but Marth only seemed to like her after Nyna told him to. That ending scene was extremely out of character for Marth, and it was extra grating because only him and to some extent Nyna got any sort of character development trough the game. It was extremely hard to get invested in the game when most of the cast were stats with a name and a picture.

These kinda of stuff ended up really souring me on the game. Even if I had fun during the actual gameplay the other stuff really kills it for me.

My ranking now:
  • Shadow of Valentia
  • Sacred Stones
  • Binding Blade
  • Blazing Sword
  • Awakening
  • Shadow Dragon
Next up: New Mystery of the Emblem. Let's see if at least redeems the cast and make them interesting.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7pgIIT5.png

I tend to turn my nose up at fanfiction because fanfiction is for girls and i'm a man's man, but some of it is legitimately good

Always love it when people explore something as mundane as "healing" and go into it in a fun way

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew our support was coming to fruition.

Heh.

Tangentially related, but it turns out I really love the FE7 cast. I've been thinking about it lately, and how it strikes a balance of "obviously over the top, goofy characters" (Sain, Serra, etc) and character with a bit more seriousness put into them (Eliwood, Nino, etc)

Jan 7, 2018
I really like the casts of all three GBA games. I love how their casts are interconnected, and characters with apparently no relation turn out to be related in some way, such as Duessel finding Amelia's mom, Astolfo being Igrene's lost husband, Nino being Canas's niece through marriage or Dart and Rebecca being siblings. It's something I don't really perceive on the other games of the series.
It's weird to think that, while the tellius games were more "serious" than the GBA ones, its "joke" characters all manage to be way worse, shallow and with less depth than the ones from the GBA games. Illyana, for exemple, would look bad even on fates, Makalov is insufferable and Devdan just rubs me the wrong way.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I changed my mind. Kozaki is my favorite artist and Chrom is the Best Lord*

*only in situations where he is the butt of a joke

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Kozaki is a good artist...but his talents aren't properly utilized when applied to Fire Emblem. Just compare Awakening's cast to the likes of No More Heroes and you'll see what I mean.

That 25th anniversary sketch he did was pretty nice, mind.
a37.jpg

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I like Kozaki's art quite a bit and honestly he gets a lot of flack for "his" armor/outfit designs, and I put that in quotes because he is not even responsible for that

Do we have a confirmation for 3Houses artist? is he the Shin Megami one?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The whole problem is that Kozaki was under Kusakihara, he under a different art director would bring better results

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
So really late to the party, one of the thing that bugs me in Awakening and Fates (I'm newbie to the series) is that the games portrays (most) battle involving massive army, but in reality/practice there is only like 20-50 units (the only exception on top of my head is the battle where Corrin needs to pick choice in Fates).

But after watching the trailer and seeing the new army system, can I use my imagination that the same thing also happen in Awakening/Fates, just that we don't see them ? lol

Also, I'm thinking of trying the Tellius FE, how difficult are they compared to Awakening and Birthright (played both on Normal/Classic and find them on the easy side thanks to option for grinding) ?

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
PoR is not that hard, but there's a pretty difficult defense mission in the beginning of the game.

Radiant Dawn has some tough missions near the start as well. And the endgame has some shenanigans.

Kozaki is a really talented artist, but without a good director, there's a limit on what they can produce.

Apollo's Sun

Apr 25, 2018
So really late to the party, one of the thing that bugs me in Awakening and Fates (I'm newbie to the series) is that the games portrays (most) battle involving massive army, but in reality/practice there is only like 20-50 units (the only exception on top of my head is the battle where Corrin needs to pick choice in Fates).

But after watching the trailer and seeing the new army system, can I use my imagination that the same thing also happen in Awakening/Fates, just that we don't see them ? lol

Also, I'm thinking of trying the Tellius FE, how difficult are they compared to Awakening and Birthright (played both on Normal/Classic and find them on the easy side thanks to option for grinding) ?

POR is really easy, Not that much harder than Awakening and Birthright.

Radiant Dawn is harder than POR.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awakening!Kozaki is still the best FE artist as far as i'm concerned. The craft and visual diversity he brought alone put him above the others, unquestionably.

I changed my mind. Kozaki is my favorite artist and Chrom is the Best Lord*

*only in situations where he is the butt of a joke

Chrom is legitimately one of the best FE lords. At this point I consider him to be in the top 5, lol.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Kozaki is fine. I really, genuinely like him as an artist, but for some reason (probably the whole art director thing, plus his faces never sat right with me) I was never too jazzed about his FE stuff. Bringing him on was ultimately a great decision because I think his art was one part of the reason Awakening did so much better than previous titles. It really modernized the series out of the frumpy 2000's anime style. For me though, I'm glad they're moving on, although I'm really not yet impressed with the art in Three Houses from what we've seen.

Chrom is... I dunno. I just love that IS is aware that he's best as the butt of a joke. This, weirdly, makes him more interesting than a lot of Lords, so I'll take it. It helps that he's genuinely a great design.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Chrom is barely the main character of his own game, but that's what makes him great. He's trying his best!

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Kozaki is better drawing modern characters IMO. Should have made him the artist of the Advance Wars reboot.

In my dreams.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I really like Kozaki.

Here's a hot take as well. Senri Kita was also hurt by art direction as well as her cipher and heroes stuff is better than her work on Por/RD.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I really like Kozaki.

Here's a hot take as well. Senri Kita was also hurt by art direction as well as her cipher and heroes stuff is better than her work on Por/RD.
I dunno, there are a lot of good stuff in the tellius games, I don't think it is behind her cipher or heroes art, if anything i prefer her PoR/RD version of Ike

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kozaki is fine. I really, genuinely like him as an artist, but for some reason (probably the whole art director thing, plus his faces never sat right with me) I was never too jazzed about his FE stuff. Bringing him on was ultimately a great decision because I think his art was one part of the reason Awakening did so much better than previous titles. It really modernized the series out of the frumpy 2000's anime style. For me though, I'm glad they're moving on, although I'm really not yet impressed with the art in Three Houses from what we've seen.

Chrom is... I dunno. I just love that IS is aware that he's best as the butt of a joke. This, weirdly, makes him more interesting than a lot of Lords, so I'll take it. It helps that he's genuinely a great design.

Pre-Kozaki FE art definitely hit a creative wall. I mean there's only just so many times you can recycle the "european cast with rainbow puke colored hair scheme" before it got grating, and it absolutely got grating (even when Senri Kita tried her best to at least diversify the cast, and she's definitely the 2nd best imo).

Chrom is barely the main character of his own game, but that's what makes him great. He's trying his best!

I used to buy into that idea too, but after replaying FE:Awakening it's pretty clear to me that it's a disingenuous claim. Chrom and Robin are dual protagonists. Chrom gets the brunt of the focus in the first half (ie: the best part of the game) while Robin gets more of a focus in the 2nd half. The "barely a main character" claim is a bit weird for this franchise, wherein protagonists barely have an effect on the ovearching narrative beyond "bad person is bad. i am good. please stand down."

Chrom is ok, but I can easily list 5 better than him

Nah

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Chrom takes the focus in the first half of the game, which is similar to, say, Lyn's involvement in FE7. But it's just endlessly funny that after that intro it's the Robin and Lucina show and it's clear those two were the more popular characters.

Don't take my fascination with Chrom being seen as essentially a third wheel in his own game to fans as a sign that I don't like him as a character. He's fun and his dynamic with Robin and Lucina is good, especially when he feels bad that Lucina had to live in a future where he failed. But I just genuinely like that IS is aware of his dorkier nature (which honestly might be a nod towards Marth being kind of a dweeb compared to his supporting cast) and delights at people like sakurai "picking on him". It truly enhances his character, at least in my eyes.

Compare to Ike, a character that I think has the most interesting arc, but will never really be treated as anything other than tough and stoic because that's his thing. He's clearly one of the most popular lords due to this, but there's not much fun to be had with him. Although, I like that Kozaki has snuck some minor nods to a rivalry between Chrom and Ike in promotional art. That's the shit I live for.

Also, while I really like Ike, he's a total stick in the mud in RD, worse than in PoR. He's actually kinda dumb and naive in fun ways in PoR, but in RD it feels like he's too stoic for his own good.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Chrom takes the focus in the first half of the game, which is similar to, say, Lyn's involvement in FE7. But it's just endlessly funny that after that intro it's the Robin and Lucina show and it's clear those two were the more popular characters.

I wouldn't really compare it to Lyn's involvement, though. Her arc is essentially a side story with a small scope, whereas Chrom's stuff kicks off the entire story and segues into the finale. It's not even Lucina's show after she joins either, because she ends up being relegated to a tertiary character with small bits of relevance here and there (first intervention / Basilio's death, etc) but nothing too significant. Honestly, I think you're experiencing a bit of source amnesia. The game is entirely about Chrom's relationship with Robin. They constantly beat over your head that they're two halves of the same whole. Their dynamic drives literally every scene (Robin is the rational one, Chrom is the emotional one, etc.)

The final arc is pretty much entirely about Chrom and Robin's relationship, culminating in Robin's "sacrifice" and Chrom's reaction to that. The "Chrom is a third wheel in his own game" is something that started a few years after Awakening, and something I bought into before I actually replayed the games.

Don't take my fascination with Chrom being seen as essentially a third wheel in his own game to fans as a sign that I don't like him as a character. He's fun and his dynamic with Robin and Lucina is good, especially when he feels bad that Lucina had to live in a future where he failed. But I just genuinely like that IS is aware of his dorkier nature (which honestly might be a nod towards Marth being kind of a dweeb compared to his supporting cast) and delights at people like sakurai "picking on him". It truly enhances his character, at least in my eyes.

Playing through Awakening is surreal because it was clear they tried to initially make him the straight man to everyone else's goofy bullshit, instead of the dork we know and love. But Sakurai's smash trailer was a game changer for him (Sakurai is incidentally, the reason why Robin became his own character after Awakening, imo).

4kAD7vZ.jpg

Also, while I really like Ike, he's a total stick in the mud in RD, worse than in PoR. He's actually kinda dumb and naive in fun ways in PoR, but in RD it feels like he's too stoic for his own good.

RD Ike is the perfect culmination of PoR Ike's character development, though. His growth is legitimately one of the best aspects of that game, and he becomes a true leader in the sense that he doesn't use bullshit charisma to convince people, but measured words and confidence that come from experience.

Like I love how every idiot Lord waxes poetically about how war is bad, and how friends shouldn't fight and all that other bullshit when confronting a former ally, while Ike is just like:

Ike: Sothe, before you challenge me, you better be ready never to see that girl again. Can you handle that?
Sothe: Wh-what?!
Ike: If you can't, stay away from me. You'll get no mercy, despite our past. I'm sorry, Sothe, but the choices we've made have brought us to this. There's no turning back now.

No fucks. No saccharine waxing about how friends shouldn't fight. If you challenge me on the battlefield, you will die.

God, they never could quite get a good FE lord after Ike.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think Micaiah is more of an example of a leader that uses charisma to lead, and that is why she ultimately fails against Ike in part 3.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, those are all really good points on Chrom. I think we're actually on the same page, I like Chrom a lot, especially his relationship with Robin. It's been, what, 5 years since I last played Awakening so maybe it's time to give it another spin. Although, I've kinda been planning on doing that with Fates too. I'm probably wrong on a lot of things.

I will say that my idea of Chrom being second banana and him being kinda dorky developed well before the smash sketch because I remember thinking of how perfect it was. He's a good Lord though. easily top five for me.

As for Ike, I agree that RD is a strong representation of his growth from PoR. The dude is cool. But some of his dialogue makes him seem so frumpy here and there. RD loses a lot from not having support convos, so the best parts are when you see him being more thoughtful and caring.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pre-Kozaki FE art definitely hit a creative wall. I mean there's only just so many times you can recycle the "european cast with rainbow puke colored hair scheme" before it got grating, and it absolutely got grating (even when Senri Kita tried her best to at least diversify the cast, and she's definitely the 2nd best imo).

Kita didn't diversify anything, she only created the polished character illustrations of the cast. The designs for those games were handled by Sachiko Wada and Chie Takaya. That's a common misconception of Kita's role in the franchise.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't say Chrom is the third wheel. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Chrom still ends getting more screen time than Lucina even when she joins. The only scene I remember of Lucina post joining is when she tries to attack Robin lol. Chrom still has that thing of awakening his Falchion and stopping the lord in the red armor.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Chrom gets plenty of screen-time, and if it wasn't for Smash promoting Robin up further we'd probably still consider him the main lord. But he's just there. Chrom is a fine character and lord, but there isn't a whole lot to work with him compared to his best friend and daughter. And he doesn't stand out that much compared to the million other blue-haired lords. Then Sakurai made him a joke, and that helped make him distinct, which in the long-run helped give him a bit more of a unique niche.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kita didn't diversify anything, she only created the polished character illustrations of the cast. The designs for those games were handled by Sachiko Wada and Chie Takaya. That's a common misconception of Kita's role in the franchise.

I see

So Sachiko Wada is even more amazing than I thought she was

Nice

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
funny thing was that Kusakihara was going to be the director for the wii game.

I'm pretty sure Mai Kusakihara or Kusakihara Mai (going Japanese style) the art director of heroes is his wife as well (she had a different surname in an older Int Sys interview).

So I think we start betting calling them by both names.

Last edited:

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mai Kusakihara also uses the alias Maiponpon, so that's also an option for referring to her.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think Micaiah is more of an example of a leader that uses charisma to lead, and that is why she ultimately fails against Ike in part 3.
If anything, Micaiah falls into being the leader of Daien's forces more by reputation than charisma i.e. the Silver Haired Maiden that...heals people, fights Daien's forces with a small group of friends and has the power of plot convenience (I could be misremembering but I could have sworn the reason why she got the job from Pelleas was because of her reputation and not because he found her to be overly charismatic). The reason she fails in Part 3 is because her plot convenience powers got turned off during "One Survives" since that's largely what she relied on when making decisions like where to make their next move (see also: not attacking an area that's known to have bad weather when she knows it will have bad weather when they'd be launching said operation).

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017

It checks out since they're really similar to 6/7/8 designs. Wada was really responsible for the look of the series during the GBA era.

The funny thing is that Kita did the portraits for RD, and I never liked those, lol.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I'll just ask here. What do you people think, will we get one version of the game or two like Fates? With a name like "three houses" I hope one. And inb4 somebody says three...

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'll just ask here. What do you people think, will we get one version of the game or two like Fates? With a name like "three houses" I hope one. And inb4 somebody says three...

I'm pretty sure just one. The different armies in the teaser seemed to have similar styles, rather than completely different ones like in Fates. It's also way too close to the launch to not reveal that there's a version split.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine there will be more than one game. I can't see them making that decision twice.

That said, I have a strange feeling this game is gonna have a timeskip, FE4 style. I doubt it'll be as traumatic as 4, but something about what we've seen so far makes it feel like this is "school days" for the main characters, but then they'll go back to their respective countries after a timeskip. But I could also be way off the mark here.