• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I visited London , Paris and Rome and im incredible thankfully I had the chance to right now.

Stay strong Paris, your city is still beautiful

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Sad to see something so beautiful and historic on fire, I'm also sad about the hate and violence that will come as a result of this.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Such a beautiful piece of historical architecture destroyed. Sure, they'll rebuild it, but the parts that were original will never come back.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Destructions-Reims-cathedrale-1914.jpg

Reims was rebuilt after being destroyed in WW1

Reims-Cathedral-interior.jpg

Its the loss of priceless artifacts that's the saddest thing

Windsor Castle before and after:

fire-comparison-1010.jpg

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible, hopefully everyone is okay and they are able to save as much of the art, etc. as possible and are able to restore the Cathedral.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is not that hard to not be an Asshole. You /r Athiesm types have your place to be smug and condescending. Go enjoy it. At this point it should be permabans going out for people who insist on continuing to be assholes

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The point I was trying to make was that time is finite, and if you wanna be somewhere or do something, do it now. I'm not saying we shouldn't care about this. Jesus Christ, relax. People are more upset here than they have been in situations where countless people actually died.

People can be upset in both situations.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
My best friend and I always talked about doing a tour of Europe to see all of the wonderful architecture and history.

The cathedral certainly would have been one of our first stops...

This is a major loss for the culture of France. I'm glad to hear that no one has been hurt (I hope that doesn't change).

If you're in the area, please stay safe.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
First thing you tell someone after a loss is simply 'I am sorry for your loss'. Bringing up similar cases someplace else isn't going to have anyone feel better.
Didn't realize this thread was made exclusively to make people "feel better." The poster felt like reflecting on the fragility of life. All and all a pretty vanilla opinion to call someone a cunt over.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible, losing significant monuments like that sucks. Let's hope it won't be that huge of a disaster and won't harm anyone close to it :/

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
more then 400 firefighters are trying to put out the fires. Some of them are in boats.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
As an engineer, I see this as an opportunity to rebuild it bigger, better, faster, more efficient, and more resilient,

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I got to go there for the first time about a year and a half ago. I loved being able to just sit quietly and observe quietly for a while. Very striking environment. Lucky to have seen it as it was! This is horrible news but I'm sure it will be rebuilt beautiful and fresh in a few years and then I'll be excited to see it again in its next iteration.
PsykCyh.png

This was my favorite photo I got from the inside.
Same. Last time I was there, I just quietly sat there for an hour or so.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
My family on my mother's side is gonna take this pretty hard. All pretty hardcore religious types, I'm religious too but they are next level.

One of the artifacts being held in the spire was apparently a piece of the true cross.
Also a thorn from the Crown of Thorns and a nail from the crucifixion if I remember correctly.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
This is awful, really sounds like they are saving what they can from the inside and going to let the rest burn itself out. Hard to believe it'll be just gone but it sounds like they don't really have a choice.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't being facetious.

I'm in shock such an historic monument is burning. I'll probably boot up AC Unity later on.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a beautiful piece of historical architecture destroyed. Sure, they'll rebuild it, but the parts that were original will never come back.
Its super sad, but I also think that the new generation that'll rebuild it will, through the rebuilding process, have a renewn connection with the building and it will continue being Notre Dame in the future as It, mostly, always was with the added "fuck yes we rebuild it together".

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Probably because rebuilding a cute town square is not really equivalent to repairing a cathedral that's 856 years old. Also telling people to "cheer up" while watching said cathedral burn to the ground comes across as a bit dickish and unfeeling. Just saying.

It seems to me there is an obvious language barrier at play and people are choosing a hostile interpretation of his words. Given his juxtaposition of ruined/restored Old Town Warsaw I think he didn't mean to say 'cheer up' to downplay anyone's feelings, but to offer hope that historical buildings can be successfully rebuild no matter the damage. That's it.