• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The restoration will be a monumental undertaking, and it will hopefully add to the cathedral's already rich history. But in the moment...this is a tragedy beyond belief. My heart goes out to Paris

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
To note - Notre-Dame was sacked and half-ruined in the French Revolution, and that was after decades of neglect. It wasn't until the 19th century that it was restored, rebuilt, and made into the icon it became.

Hugo fixated on architecture as the great book of human history. And tragedies like this are part of that history. Things will be lost, the building will never be the same, but, god willing, something equally beautiful can rise from the ashes.

I mean the good news is that if we decide to rebuild what was lost, it'll probably take less than 200 years this time!
Feels weird to me, i wanted to go take some photo tomorow and i always go in the center of Paris. Will be real weird now.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So sad. To all the French, don't worry, you will have it restored and beautiful as ever. Everything can be reconstructed in the original style, you have all the photos you need I imagine.

Example to cheer you up:

NTEzMzk3YTUkGDtJREhsIGdAbxMCEWJ2MFh3WER8YWJxTjVOXQZhMGsNPRMGVGAkKVV8S1gLfGd1SXRJRgZ4bXdLfklZAWEmPBQoEUZELyY2ACwNCh49ICQIKFQBQyl2OA==

war_star.jpg

(Warsaw)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People can not hold it in with the jokes and shit edgy takes can they

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Not being nihilistic. I'm glad no one was hurt, but when it comes to buildings, nothing stands forever. ISIS destroyed thousands of Notre Dames in just the last decade throughout the middle east. I think it's best if people had perspective on things like this. It's all going to burn someday, so if you were meaning to go somewhere one day or see something, have that in mind.

log off

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
856 years old.

Built during the end of the late-Roman Empire.

Before North and South America were known to even exist.

When flat-earthers ruled the world and the sun revolved around the Earth.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Heard on the news they said the whole frame and interior is on fire :(, fuck, it's all going to be lost. All they can do now is rebuild it, but the original structure seems like its all going to be gone now.

Why do they not have fire protection? You would think for major historical buildings and things that they'd retrofit them with modern firefighting in case of something like this happening, so much history can be lost from a fire.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone making shitty jokes should be perma banned.

If you can't expect them to take Notre Dame burning with an ounce of seriousness, what hope do these people have for our community?
Don't be silly. I haven't and won't make jokes in threads like this but there's nothing wrong with a bit of gallows humour. I love history and this is incredibly sad to see but nobody was hurt. Asking for people to be permanently banned for a joke is over the top.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Yeah, if it was wooden support structures, it probably would have gone quick.

I suspect they were waiting for the roof to go down before they could take an offensive position because of the danger of it collapsing.
Makes sense, I am glad that no one got hurt in the end and that they have so far taken it really carefully with this. While it sucks about the building the tragedy is at most some lost (but veeeeery well documented) historical relics, but at least no lives.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility and personal attacks towards another member.
The point I was trying to make was that time is finite, and if you wanna be somewhere or do something, do it now. I'm not saying we shouldn't care about this. Jesus Christ, relax. People are more upset here than they have been in situations where countless people actually died.

Why do you need to make a point you arrogant cunt? Nobody gives a shit about your dumbass views. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Apparently none of the restoration workers were there anymore when it happened.

Nov 13, 2017
I really hope that they can use all the photographs and scans over the build to create something even more spectacular and structurally sound using technology.