• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
I guess they'll call it Notre Flame now.
The only silver lining here is maybe this will stop people from using these "magic" trinkets to justify religious belief. Like imagine how much human progress has been slowed with nonsense like the Shroud of Turin wasting everyone's time.

The cathedral itself holds architectural and historical value, but these "treasures" are a scourge.
No, they WERE a scourge. Today they are important artificats in human history versus instruments of dogma, their intrinsic value has changed.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you'd think the staff would have carried as much valuables as they could before leaving the building, but then again in the heat of the moment maybe not. Maybe some stuff will end up on the black market...

Most of the treasures, like statues, are too heavy to carry out.... The vitrals are also lost. And how many things we're behind glass to protect them from thieves and tourists?

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Heartbreaking. That's hundreds of years of history lost right there in front of our eyes. :(

I feel for my French neighbors and fellow Europeans! Stay strong and rebuild!

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The only silver lining here is maybe this will stop people from using these "magic" trinkets to justify religious belief. Like imagine how much human progress has been slowed with nonsense like the Shroud of Turin wasting everyone's time.

The cathedral itself holds architectural and historical value, but these "treasures" are a scourge.

what the fuck is this take

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible, should have visited when I had the chance.

Hopefully they manage to salvage some of it.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Indeed. It's not even the first time it burns. As a matter of fact like many cathedrals, it's not that well designed, and required several "patches" to avoid crumbling.
Sad for tourism, but well we'll just rebuild it.

Yes.

For example, Lund Cathedral in Lund, Sweden:

TOP%20PHOTO%20Foap-domkyrkan_i_lund.jpg

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will be rebuild (one eay or the other), but its such a shame that some idiot accidentally set the thing on fire.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
This is so awful. I got to visit it a couple years ago, and it was absolutely beautiful. Looking through pictures/videos I took when I was there, and I can't imagine so much of that beauty and history being gone now :(

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Too early! They're treasures.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
User banned (1 day): Ignoring a staff post.
Melisandre tried with a kid now she is doing cool buildings, anything to stop the white walkers I guess

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not the time or place. Go take your nihilist bullshit out of here.
Not being nihilistic. I'm glad no one was hurt, but when it comes to buildings, nothing stands forever. ISIS destroyed thousands of Notre Dames in just the last decade throughout the middle east. I think it's best if people had perspective on things like this. It's all going to burn someday, so if you were meaning to go somewhere one day or see something, have that in mind.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

You can be an atheist while admiring the history and artistic effort put into it.

There's no need to be a cunt.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Melisandre tried with a kid now she is doing cool buildings, anything to stop the white walkers I guess

Official Staff Communication
This is a developing situation about famous structural landmark catching fire. We don't know how dangerous the fire is or if people are at risk. Please be respectful towards this situation and do not use this as an opportunity to make jokes.

Come on.... it's not that hard.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It'll feel like the death of a friend for Parisians, places like this become very important to a city and its sense of self.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Backseat modding and hostility over multiple posts

Anyone making shitty jokes should be perma banned.

If you can't expect them to take Notre Dame burning with an ounce of seriousness, what hope do these people have for our community?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Wasn't the Crown of Thorns there? That's one of my favorite pieces of art ever. Heck, Notre Dame was somewhere I wanted to visited and see the artwork. I hope everyone is safe. Notre Dame :(

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Surely now that they are destroyed in hell fire, people will give up on religion

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Horrible. A piece of history is dying. My thoughts are with all affected by this.